Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

A Sneak Peak at Ambergris Caye's "Truck Stop"

The road north has become a main way of transportation. Now paved, it's a thoroughfare�and businesses are starting to pop-up. There is one in particular that I am VERY excited about. The Truck Stop.

An amazingly clever use of a gorgeous lagoon side property just west of the new road�but then the owners, Ben and Joanna, owners of Island Films as well, have always been pretty clever people.

Here's the set-up. Three restaurants - one Asian, one Nueva Latino, and one�dessert. A bar container�a beer garden. Raised docks across much of the property�a bocce court�maybe horse shoes�a fire pit�a super cool seating area within a Banyan tree�� there will be seating in the middle with shade.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos on San Pedro Scoop!

M
M
Clever people INDEED!!!

B
B
Sounds great. Any rough timeline when it opens? I'm coming down in February and would like to check it out.

Brett
Counting the days until I retire...

End of November is what I hear, and hinted at on their FB page.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Ambergris Caye Has a Truck Stop and I Predict a HUGE HIT

The first thing you are going to ask is "When does this wonderful place open?", so I will answer that immediately. Saturday 11am to 8pm. The Truck Stop - about 1.5 miles north of the bridge. San Pedro's newest, hippest and only outdoor food court and beer garden.

Three containers/restaurants and one gorgeous bar - with this beautiful mural/postcard�you almost get the feeling Route 66 runs right down Ambergris Caye. Now all we need is a few Wigwam Motels and a Cadillac (or Club Car?) Ranch.

Here's the food. Cool Cone�which will be serving The Ice Cream Shoppe's GORGEOUS ice creams in standard and nutty flavours like Guinness, Maple Bacon and Pumpkin Spice Latte.

The middle cart is RASA�Southeast Asian cuisine. Noodle dishes, satays�I will show you.

And then the third "truck" - still being painted - will be Latin American. And more specificially - the South American corn cakes - arepas.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see LOTS more photos on San Pedro Scoop

Lights! Cameras! Eatery! The Truckstop in San Pedro, Belize, is ready for its closeup

Adam and Jackie Feldman were talking hopefully about a "soft opening" this Saturday for their two newest restaurants - the Malaysian/Southeast Asian bistro Rasa and the Latin American cuisine Arepa - in The Truckstop, the new freight container dining complex north of the Sir Barry Bowen Bridge.

As the two most original restaurants here in ages, Rasa and Arepa have got buzz on the island. Buzz all over the island.

Truckstop is the creation of local filmmakers Ben and Joanna Popik. It is modeled on the foodtruck phenomena that has held American foodies in thrall for years. Only, Ben and Joanna grabbed brand new shipping containers - four of them - and have distributed them around an artfully landscaped lagoon-side lot, about a mile north of the bridge.

On Thursday, the staff prepared items from the menus of both restaurants for the first time for a small group of people. I was one of those lucky people and I've got to say, the food was spectacular. Flor Bradley from Wine De Vine brought a selection of wines to see which would pair best with each dish.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos on the Bound for Belize Blog

A preview of awesomeness at The Truck Stop!

I'm sorry I used awesome in the headline�and keep using it in this story, but it's what keeps popping in my mind when I think about the tasting/preview we were invited to. The Truck Stop is the brainchild of Ben and Joanna Popik (of Island Films fame), and over the past few months, they have been teasing us with images of the containers on their Tres Cocos property.

It's an outdoor food court, featuring two distinct food containers/restaurants, one ice cream shop and a really cool bar with an amazing mural (painted by the island's one and only: Papo, the master) that is ALREADY becoming the new must-photograph item while on Ambergris Caye.

When we arrived at the site, finishing touches were being placed, including the painting of the Cool Cone (ice cream shop) exterior. Ben has promised 14 flavors of ice cream courtesy of the Ice Cream Shoppe, including Maple Bacon, Salted Caramel, Guinness, even Pumpkin Spice Latte.

That's the dessert side of things, which you'll enjoy after you've had some of the fabulous flavors from Rasa!

I'd spoken to Chef Hasni about the plans for this container the night he invited us to the tasting, and he described the plans for Malaysian street food. I didn't really know what to expect, but figured street food equals delicious naughtiness, and I was right!

Arepas - I've heard of them, I've not really figured out what they truly are. The second food truck is primarily Latin American, and Arepas the specialty.

I initially thought arepas were like a Johnny Cake, but corn based�what we got were delicious corn cakes that were flavorful, and the perfect vehicle for fillings like steak and chimichurri, or served as arepa bowls - with chicken and beef, and to cap it off: El Diablo, featuring fiery shrimp that had been marinated in habanero pepper!

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

What's new? The Truck Stop

As Ambergris Caye continues to grow as the top tourism destination in Belize, new establishments open to add to the island's tourism product. Its newest establishment is surely an innovative one! Located just about a mile north of Sir Barry Bowen Bridge, The Truck Stop is a unique fast-food courtyard made out of shipping containers. Eager residents and visitors alike flocked to their location on Saturday, November 21st for some good food, cold drinks and even ice-cream during their soft opening.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in San Pedro Sun

S
S
Two thumbs up from me.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The opening of the pool at The Truck Stop - check it out...a really good vibe. No kid mania or horrifying MTV Spring Break...it's great. Yesterday's party had DJ Debbie in her tree during the day, live music in the eve. AND you can watch the movies (and sunset) in the pool - Wednesdays flick...JAWS!!! I'm giddy... by San Pedro Scoop

Click photos for more pictures!

AWESOME video by Joe Chung - Welcome TO THE TRUCK STOP!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 303 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.