Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#509023 - 11/10/15 05:49 AM Today's Belize News: November 10, 2015
Marty Online   happy

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Getting Hitched in Belize
We all dream of finding our better half to share the rest of our lives with. Once we have found Mr. or Ms. Right, we cement that love by tying the knot. What can make your extra special day better than getting hitched in Belize? Belize offers an incredibly diverse choice of wedding locations: from hidden waterfalls in the jungle to serene sandy beaches and even ancient Maya sites.There is always the dream location for every bride. Our melting pot of cultures is certain to give your destination wedding a unique feel like no other. Belize has the resources to cater to every couple’s style and budget. You won’t ‘Belize’ how amazing your wedding can be!

Wine, wine and more wine at Stella’s Smile
Located just a skip and a hop across the Sir Barry Bowen Bridge, Stella’s Smile is the new place in town that checks all the boxes when it comes to good eats, good service,great view and not to mention WINE :-) There are no panty-rippers here however, weekly specials such as bottomless mimosas and bottomless sangrias have been making quite the buzz, attracting locals and tourists alike. After all, who doesn’t like all you can drink specials for prices as low as $25?! To put a spin on things, you can even enjoy meals prepared by your favorite island chefs right here! Stella’s hosts chefs that prepare their best sellers and signature dishes from fellow island establishments such as Robin’s Kitchen, SandBar and much more. Enjoy an array of different specials such as grilled fish, tender barbeque, pizzas and burgers.

Dr. Otto Rodriguez Polyclinic receives donation
The Dr. Otto Rodriguez San Pedro Polyclinic was the recipient of a much- needed donation courtesy of the Royal Palm Villas and medical personnel from Canada. The clinic received items for oxygen supply, neck braces, surgical supplies, medications, stereofils and patient gowns, among other items that the clinic needed. The donation was given on Thursday, November 5th and will be immediately put in good use. According to organizer Bonnie Musbach, every year, medical professionals that travel to Belize are kind enough to join the donation initiative and bring much needed medical supplies for the clinic. “Every year, we have people from Canada come down and bring items from their emergency facilities and likewise we organize something similar at the Royal Palm Villas. We always contact the polyclinic administrator and get a wish list from them and I put it out there and try to get what the polyclinic needs,” said Musbach.

Sunset to Stars evening to benefit SHINE Girls Club
The SHINE girls club invites everyone to a “Sunset to Stars” evening to benefit the program’s second semester on Wednesday, November 18th. Hosted by SHINE founder, Michelle Nuñez, in collaboration with On Eagles Wings Ministries (OEWM), the fundraising event will feature an evening of wining and dining at Rain Restaurant and Rooftop Terrace. The Sunset to Stars fundraiser will include a three course dinner special. It will start with a cocktail hour from 5:30PM to 6:30PM with a cash bar, with 10% of the proceeds going towards SHINE. During the cocktail hour, Bacon wrapped Dates, Traditional Italian Bruschetta and Melon wrapped in Serrano Ham will be served. Dinner service will then be from 6:30PM to 7:30PM. Guests will have a choice of red snapper Veracruz or Chicken Parmesan served with grilled vegetable medley and rosemary baked potatoes. The last course will be a specialty cupcake dessert.

Ambergris Today

Remembering When WE USED TO… in San Pedro Village No. 6
Landing On A Grass Airstrip: Do you believe that landing on a grass airstrip is a bumpy landing? Not at all! I have landed countless times on grass fields and the pilots gave me the softest landing you can think of. Old timers in San Pedro remember when they USED TO land at the San Pedro Airstrip with pilots such as John Greif II. Then there was Roballo, Yasin Shoman, Charlie, and Mandy Castillo. After the land was cleared of bush and coconut trees, it was leveled and grass was allowed to grow on it. Oh yes, it was grass, but folks in San Pedro thought it was the greatest single achievement for our community. Just let me insert here my last bit of interesting information and it is that the commercial flights offered by Maya Airways were ONLY seven dollars one way. And in the 1960’s some folks still preferred to travel by the Elsa P Cargo Boat and passenger service for 50 cents to the Capital City of Belize.
Novelas By Books Not Television: Doctora Corazon (Doctor Love), Lagrimas y Risas (Tears and laughter, Policiacas (Police Stories), Todavia Sueño Contigo (I Still Dream With you) were popular, weekly, book novela series that San Pedranos enjoyed in the 1950’s and 60’s. The fishermen who went on twelve-day expeditions to far away fishing sites also took their stock of comic books and novelas. I want to tell you that besides being a good source of entertainment, these books played a good role in developing reading and comprehension skills, the improvement of the Spanish language and building vocabulary all in one.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

BELTRAIDE and McNab Publishing launch Vol. 4 Invest Belize Magazine
BELTRAIDE, in partnership with McNab publishing launched Volume 4 of the Invest Belize Magazine on November 2, 2015. Since 2012, the Invest Belize magazine published by BELTRAIDE serves as an effective promotional platform for Belize, showcasing business success stories and investment opportunities. This platform has enabled businesses in Belize to be seen by thousands of readers every year both nationally and internationally. The publication’s objective is to provide investors with firsthand information on Belize inclusive of up to date statistics, articles, success stories and ads of projects and services being offered by Belizean enterprises, thus truly enabling a one-stop-shop for matchmaking and promotion!

Prime Minister names Cabinet, Senators, CEO’s
***Highlighted in yellow are the Ministers of State and their responsibilities.

San Pedro 2015 Miss Garifuna Cultural Pageant
The San Pedro Garifuna Council in collaboration with the San Pedro Town Council bring you the 2015 Miss Garifuna Cultural Pageant! Come out and enjoy a night that promises to both fun and educational! Let us celebrate our Garifuna Brothers and Sisters! Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at the Hon. Louis Sylvestre Sports Complex, starting at 7:00 p.m. SEE YOU THERE!

CWWB Entrepreneurship Training
The Rotaract Club of Benque teamed up with Beltraide and the SBDC to bring a Costing and Pricing Workshop to the Cayo West Women in Business group. Entrepreneurship education enables everyone! "BELTRAIDE through SBDCBelize & the Rotaract Club Of Benque Viejo partnered to deliver a Costing & Pricing Workshop to the Cayo West Women in Business Group in Benque Viejo Town. The women were very participative, and learned about the different types of costs incurred by a business. Moreover, they learned about the costs incurred in the production process, and how to properly price their products. We will act as mentors and provide guidance to apply the theory learned."

SISEHOC 5th Anniversary
Come and join us for the Cayo Art Festival 2015 at the Cayo Welcome Center.

The San Pedro Town Council hereby informs the general public that the Ambergris Stadium located in the San Pablo area is currently under construction. We ask the public to abstain from performing any activities (practices and/or games) at the above-mentioned site for safety reasons. The San Pedro Town Council thanks you for your full cooperation and understanding in this matter.

The original lizard juice is now available at as low as $150bz for 1 gallon or $50bz for 1 litter. (Plus shipping). Take it home after visiting Caye caulker. Call 631-1060 or 631-0995 for orders. Remember you can still enjoy the original lizard juice at Sip N' Dip bar (Mara's) or at Rainbow restaurant. We also supply lizard juice mix for special events.

Swearing In of Ministers and Ministers of State

Every year the ABC Pre-School invites the San Pedro Town Council to visit the children dressed up in their halloween costumes before they go trick or treating around the neighborhood. We were excited to visit them and treat them with fun halloween cupcakes. There were princesses, pirates and lots of super heroes to save the day!

Power interruption 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 midday, Tuesday, November 10, Dangriga
Ecumenical Dr, Melinda Rd, Benguche Area, Wagierale Area, Commerce St, Market Square, Church St and Sisters of the Holy Family St. BEL to replace utility poles carrying high voltage lines in the area.

CAWS Cayo Chili Cookoff
The Cayo Animal Welfare Society is having a chili cookoff on Saturday, November 28th. If you can make some rockin' chili, then you can enter the contest. It'll be at the Soul Project, so there will be some amazing artisan wines there, like sorrel lime and tamarind. All the proceeds go to CAWS and the animals of Cayo. "Mark the date! Share with friends! Got chili game? Contact info below. It all for a good "CAWS"."

Garifuna Exhibition at San Pedro House of Culture
Cultural Displays, Cassava making demonstration, Yurumein film showcase, Drumming, Garifuna food and Jonkunu dancers. Friday, November 13 at 11:00am - 9:00pm

Channel 7

Is New Cabinet Configuration A Demotion For Deputy Vega?
Prime Minister Dean Barrow settled into his third term this weekend with the nuts and bolts of administration - that is the selection of ministers of government. It's not an easy job, since constitutionally, only 12 of 17 elected representatives can be made into full ministers - and everyone wants to be a full minister - so inevitably, 5 of the 17 elected would be disappointed. And even among those full ministers, there's at least one who should be disappointed - and that's Deputy Prime Minister, Gaspar Vega. He was the Minister of Natural Resources, commonly known as the minister of lands - a king-making ministry which stands at the headwaters of patronage and power. But, on Saturday the Prime Minister told him he's transferring Natural Resources to Senator Godwin Hulse - who becomes the first senator/minister to control that mega-ministry. It sounds like a major demotion for Vega, who is now the Minister of Agriculture, Forestry, Fisheries and Environment. Today at a press conference to present the new cabinet - we asked the Prime Minister about it:... Jules Vasquez "Are you able to speak about the apparent demotion of the Deputy Prime Minister? We see that he has lost the Ministry of Natural Resources. We know that that has always been synonymous with the post of the deputy prime minister and we also see that 5 of the 8 seats in the north are for the UDP."

Vega Not Vexed
So what does Vega have to say about it? The UDP's so called boss of the north - who played his part in delivering five of eight seats for the UDP in the north - told us that indeed the Ministry of Natural Resources was tiring him. But that doesn't mean, he didn't want something else:... Jules Vasquez "You've been all the talk this weekend Mr. Deputy Prime Minister that you got huffed. That they took away he prize jewel from you. How do you feel about it?" Hon. Gaspar Vega, Deputy Prime Minister "I don't know Jules. Mixed emotions that that lands department has really put a toll on me. I think it has cheated me from giving more time to my constituency, as increase the pain in my back and its mixed emotions. I would be lying if I say something else." Jules Vasquez "Now, have you indicated to the Prime Minister that....?" Hon. Gaspar Vega, Deputy Prime Minister "Yes, because at times it was just too much with the colleagues and the peer pressure of the colleagues wanting to deliver more and more and the public and then yet everything watching at you like a hawk. So, it gets to you and there was a time that I said, you know PM, you can have this Lands Department."

Pablo Marin and Wilfred Elrington Hold Unto Ministries
And while it surprised many in the public and political sphere that Vega lost Natural Resources and didn't gain any substantial ministry, for many it was equally, if not more surprising that two of the most publicly criticized ministers, Wilfred Elrington and Pablo Marin got to hold unto their ministries. Marin retains the Ministry of Health, while Elrington is still Foreign Minister - while the Attorney General's Ministry is passed over to newly named Senator Vanessa Retreage, who becomes the first female AG. But, the foreign ministry is where Elrington generated all the Guatemala controversy - so do these two appointments mean that the prime Minister is immune to public sentiment? He said that he is not, and that is why he has taken measures to improve the overall profile of the Health Ministry at the leadership level:... Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "We cannot be dismissive of public opinion. But I would say this starting with the Ministry of Health. All of us in cabinet were convinced that Pablo is an extremely hard working dedicated minister. But because as I said I am satisfied that Pablo gives it his all and that his all is more than decent.

PM Barrow Has Faith In Hon. Elrington
And so what about Foreign Minister Wilfred Elrington. He won his seat in the Pickstock Division while going into a strong headwind of public opposition. And, so - you might think that as a reward - he gets to hold unto his job as foreign minister. But, it's not that simple. Prime Minister Barrow said he picked Elrington again, for a third term, because he's the best man for the job. Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "When it comes to Sedi, nobody can doubt that this man is a brain. This man is an intellect. I will tell you that abroad, Sedi Elrington as our Foreign Minister is held in extremely high regard." "Now again admittedly, the people abroad doesn't vote here and I take the point that we do have to be concern about perception. But some of the criticism of the Hon. Minister of Foreign Affairs, I would admit, I would allow in so far as the relate to form. I would not make one concession in so far as they relate to substance and I prefer substance over from any day. There are times when Sedi puts things in a way that's not calculated to win him any points from certain sections of the public.

Three Term Representative Castro Got A Major Snub
And while Elrington got to hold on to his ministry despite taking a battering in the media, not so for Edmond Castro. He fell from grace in the first term of the Barrow Administration over some supposedly shady land deal which reached the Prime Minister's hearing. Since then, he's been in a sort of political Siberia - and with this latest round of Cabinet allotments - he continues to be in the deep freeze. Instead of getting a full ministry, the three time representative is being made the minister of state of Transport and NEMO. For many in the UDP - it's seen as a slap in the face to the man from Rural North - and the Prime Minister acknowledged that it is a bitter pill to swallow:... Jules Vasquez "Explain to me why Mr. Castro, now on winning his 3rd straight re-election by comfortable margins, why he has not been rewarded with a full cabinet post? We see Mr. Pott after just his 2nd term is now awarded." Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "Again, it had to do with a number of things and I will concede that that was the most difficult decision of all and Edmund was not happy and I don't blame him.

Hon. Saldivar Stays With Security Despite Viral Video
And it seems "that's" also "that" for National Security minister John Saldivar. In spite of the video that went viral on facebook, and went on the news on Friday - showing him telling police to back off one of his gun wielding supporters. While we showed you him saying, "back off now," today, the Prime Minister had a very different version of that event:... Jules Vasquez "He restrained or he directed officers not to make an arrest of one of his supporters who by all indications had discharged a firearm in public. Is that something that you wade in re-assigning him to the Ministry of National Security?" Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "No sir. I don't know that he did any such thing. It is clear from what I saw that he did speak to the police. But to go from there to an assertion that he directed them not to arrest the gentleman is bit of a stretch. I was satisfied with the explanation that he gave me that this was while clearly something that was wrong and in fact illegal for this person to fire a shot or shots in the air in celebration.

PM Barrow Rewards Seniority, But What About Renewal?
And so, of the 11 full ministers who won re-election - 10 of them remain basically untouched - intact with their full ministries which we will go over shortly. But, the fact that they got to keep their ministries - most of them for a third term - demonstrates that Prime Minister Dean Barrow awards cabinet portfolios based on electoral seniority. We asked him if this augurs well for renewal in his party:... Jules Vasquez "How would you answer the criticism that perhaps you do that at the detriment of the renewal of your party? That perhaps the newly elected persons should have been given seniority over persons who may be shortly retiring. We think of Minister Martinez, we think of Minister Finnegan - there are rumors that they may be on their way out." Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "Well I've confirm with both of them that that is indeed the position and it's been made clear that in that context, it is expected that the two will withdraw from their ministries well in advance of the next general election date and at that time there is obviously going to be a reconfiguration."

Ministers of State Status For Newcomers
And so while all the full Ministers got back their main portfolios - with the exception of Deputy Gaspar Vega - what about the newcomers like Elodio Aragon, Tracey Taegar Panton and Beverly Castillo? Well, along with more recent new representatives like Frank Pawpa Mena and Omar Figueroa - they will all be Ministers of State. But, in a Barrow Cabinet - a minister of state is kind of like a minister:... Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "The ministers of state which we treat as members of cabinet, as full members of cabinet on a practical basis. Those ministers of state are going to be assigned some of the portfolio subjects in the particular ministries and it is expected that those ministers of state will be responsible entirely for the day to day administration of those particular portfolio subject areas."

Are Ministers Of State Legal?
But is this "day to day administration" by ministers of state even legal? After all, the laws, all fo them say, "the minister shall" - those laws say nothing about ministers of state. We asked the Prime Minister about this today:... Jules Vasquez "You use measure of precision in your language when you said "it is expected that the ministers of state will be responsible for these subsidiaries responsibilities." However, in deed it has to be an expectation because the way the law is setup, the power, the authority is conferred solely in the minister. So the two questions arise; 1) no minister is under any legal compulsion to delegate such authority and 2) is it legal if they operate really as full ministers signing legislation or statutory instruments or whatever the case may be?" Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "Well, to answer the first half of your question, while I concede what you urge with respect where the formal legal authority has to continue to reside. So we really have no fear at all that this will not work. Everybody is onboard. While it is true that if a substantive minister wishes to resist, he will have the law on his side. He won't have right on his side.

Cabinet, The Full Picture
And so here now is a full rundown of the new cabinet. The Prime Minister will be Minister of Finance, Public Service, Energy and Public utilities, with responsibility for the last three going to his minister of state Frank Pawpa Mena and CEO Peter Allen. Gaspar Vega is the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Agriculture with CEO Jose Alpuche, and Fisheries and Forestry with CEO Colin Young. His other portfolios, Environment, Sustainable development and Climate change will go to Minister of state Omar Figueroa. Erwin Contreras stays on as the Minister for Economic Development and gets Petroleum added to that, where he will be assisted by CEO Yvonne Sharman Hyde. His Minister of State Tracey Taegar Panton will take responsibility for the other assignments in his portfolio; these are, Investment, Trade and Commerce with first time CEO Amparo Masson. There's no change for Housing Minister Michael Finnegan, who stays with CEO Denton Belisle. Minister of Education Patrick Faber, stays with CEO David Leacock and sees Science and Technology added to his ministry, while his minister of state Elodio Aragon will take responsibility for Culture, Youth and sports.

Mexican Fraudster In Jail For Drivers' License
Last week, 7News was the first to report on 47 year-old David Miguel Nanes Schnitzer a fugitive wanted by Interpol and Mexican and US Authorities who was caught on San Pedro. He's believed to be a major player in a multi-billion dollar ponzi scheme with defrauded thousands of investors in Latin America. So tonight, after being on the run, he's at the Belize Central Prison after allegedly being busted with a fake driver's license in San Pedro Town. So, why is he a big deal internationally right now? Well, an Interpol warrant says that Schnitzer helped convicted financial criminal Allen Stanford to defraud thousands of victims of $7 Billion dollars, the largest fraud scheme in US History. Investors in this ponzi scheme were focused mainly in Latin America, including Mexico, Panama and Venezuela, and they suffered hundreds of millions of dollars in losses when Stanford's financial empire collapsed. Stanford is serving 110 years in prison for his conviction of financial crimes.

BDF and Brits Shoulder to Shoulder
A week ago, we told you how the BATSUB has returned to Belize both in numbers and for increased training activities. Right now, there are 2 training courses that they are offering to selected BDF Soldiers, those being the Fire Team Commanders and the Skill At Arms regimens. Those BDF soldiers in training, along with the squad from the British Army in Belize, took on a 9 mile march and shoot competition early SUNDAY morning. It's a very tough test of wills and endurance, and the BDF invited our news team out to observe how the soldiers performed. Daniel Ortiz has that story: Daniel Ortiz reporting These BDF soldiers may look right in form as they hoist their rifles and fire round after round at the targets. If you look more closely, however, you'll start to see signs on fatigue on them, sweat drenched uniforms, and maybe a little quickening in their breathing. After all, they had just run about 9 miles before being expected to perform perfect marksmanship. Just the running itself is taxing, both physically and mentally.

Cops Caught "Cattle" Thief, But Score No Reward Money
A man has been sent to jail for 1 year and 6 months in prison for cattle theft in Maskall Village. Corozalito resident Roberto Rodriguez was charged with 2 counts of cattle theft and 2 counts of handling stolen goods. Police told us that Rodriguez stole 2 horses and 2 saddles from Maruba Resort on 2 separate occasions: Rodriguez stole a horse and a saddle on Oct 26th and went back on November 2nd to take another horse and saddle. But police caught up with Rodriguez and he was arrested and charged on Friday. One of the horses was worth $2,000. Now as you all may remember Belmopan Police and The Belize Livestock Producers Association signed off on a cattle bounty in August. The agreement is that any officer who arrests and convicts anyone who is involved in cattle rustling will receive a $5,000 reward. Well, Maskall police were quite disappointed when they found out the reward is only for cows not for horses - although both are called "Cattle" in the lawbooks. When we spoke to the Livestock Association this evening they confirmed that it is specifically cows - so Maskall police do not get the reward. According to the association, no police officer has been rewarded as yet.

VIP Says it Will Challenge Election Outcome
Last week, we showed you our interview with the Chief Elections Officer, as she discussed why the 31 constituencies were not re-districted for proportionality before the elections. Well, the Political Party, VIP, and the Souther Coalition For Equal Political Representation and Development is taking the Elections and Boundaries Commission to Court. A release from the VIP says that their attorney, Hubert Elrington, will get an opportunity to make their case in the Supreme Court on December 7. Their original claim form says that they are seeking to have the court declare that the Commission must comply with the Constitution, that the 31 electoral divisions be altered or re-divided, and that the General Elections - which happened last week Wednesday - be postponed until the Commission complies with Section 90 of the Constitution.

Min. Of State Beverly Castillo Says She's Qualified
So as we told you in the first segment, the new cabinet has been named, and we spoke with a few senior ministers and new appointees. Well, among those newly appointed is Beverly Castillo. She got 2,560 votes in Belize Rural Central - beating her opponent Dolores Balderamos Garcia by 58 votes. So with that victory, she was officially appointed Minister of State in the Ministry of Immigration. Now for some, her appointment is praised and celebrated primarily because she is a woman but when we asked her about that she told us it has nothing to do with that, it has to do with her intellect and competency as a member of the cabinet. Hon. Beverly Castillo, Minister of State, Immigration "Well I am humbled. I believe in making that appointment as Prime Minister indicated to me that he feels that I am capable and competent, at least based on my past experiences in the public service and what I have done so far. He is depending on me. I have assured him that I will not let him down, my family and by extension myself."

Criminologist Aragon Happy To Help With Youth
Another Minister of State who says his skills and education will effect change is Elodio Aragon Jr. He was appointed Minister of State in the Ministry of Education with a focus on culture, youth and sports. Now some may question why he wasn't given the post in the Ministry of National Security - given his experience as a former Deputy Commissioner of Police and a trained criminologist. He told us that he respects the Prime Minister's decision and that in his view, there is no better reward than working with the youth in education. Mike Rudon, Ch5 "Looking at the portfolio in which you have been given. Would you expecting something more in the line of national security because of your career as a police officer?" Hon. Elodio Aragon Jr., Minister of State - Youth, Sports and Culture "Well of course, that is always the first impression you have. You are professional in an area - you might think well may be that is that area that I would best serve. But when you think about it, what is bigger than dealing with the young people in this country when it comes to the Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture and I do think that there is a big impact that can be done there. Definitely being in that position I think it's a great opportunity for us to begin to look seriously of how we deal with our young people, how we develop sports in this country and deal with culture. I do think that an opportunity that I am glad to take up and I am looking forward to making things happen in that ministry."

Vega Says "Monchi" Outspent Him On Election Day
And while Aragon's star is rising as the new representative from Orange Walk East - and one who won by a commanding margin - could the UDP's boss of the north in Orange Walk, Gaspar Vega see his political star descending? Vega saw his margin of victory reduced significantly in Orange Walk North - and now he doesn't hold a powerhouse ministry. We asked him if this affects his electability: Jules Vasquez "Do you think this will affect you in Orange Walk North?" Hon. Gaspar Vega, Deputy Prime Minister "I always take it a day at a time Jules. I always tell in my constituency and as a leader if I have to bribe my colleagues to support me, well then there is clearly something wrong right at the beginning. In my constituency, the way I run my campaign and you can ask anyone, I don't pay any campaigners to campaign for me. I don't buy any votes. I deal with my people personally on a one on one basis and that's my strength. If that is not good enough to lead, then I must go and take care of my business too." Jules Vasquez "Four years from now when the party starts looking for a new leader, is it a post that you might be interested in?" Hon. Gaspar Vega, Deputy Prime Minister "I'll have to wait until then."

Ambassador Alexis Met Guat Pres-Elect Jimmy Morales
And in our final bit from today's press conference, Prime Minister Barrow commented on his Guatemalan counterpart Jimmy Morales. Belize's Ambassador to Guatemala Alexis Rosado met president- elect Jimmy Morales - and here's what the PM said about it:... Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "Ambassador there had a chance to meet with the President Elect Jimmy Morales and his message to me was professional and perhaps even conciliatory, but given how much of a hinge issue Guatemala remains we will constitute a sort of cabinet standing committee of the cabinet to keep a close brief - a watching brief with respect to the Guatemala issue. I was told by Alexis that the President Elect has indicated that rather than having this sort of ceremony at which all heads of state and government in the region and in deed in the hemisphere would be elected, he is thinking to limiting it to just the Central American sub region - the SICA sub region and he's expressed the hope that I will attend. Well, we will see about that."

Cop Remanded For Sex With Child
31 year-old Police Constable Hector Esquivel is on remand at the Belize Central Prison tonight after he was taken to court for allegedly engaging in intercourse with an under-aged girl. The child, a 14 year-old, told police that on Sunday, November 1, Esquivel had sex with her, and after her report was investigated, and police arrested and charged him for unlawful sexual intercourse. That's not a bailable offence, and so, Senior Magistrate Sharon Frazer remanded him until December 18.

Nestor Knows The OAS
Nestor Mendez, the First Belizean ever to be elected as the Assistant Secretary General of the Organization of American States, is in Belize right now. He's here to visit with the officials at the OAS Office in Belize, and as part of an entrepreneurial workshop held by BELTRAIDE. We'll show you that later in the news, but first, to Mendez's first visit back to Belize since taking up the second most senior post of the OAS. In his official capacity today, he congratulated Prime Minister Barrow for his historic third term in office. H.E. Nestor Mendez, Assistant Sec. Gen. - OAS "Let me start by presenting our sincerest congratulations to Prime Minister Barrow and the government and people of Belize on the peaceful and transparent general elections of last week in which the Prime Minister's administration was re-elected to power for a historic 3rd term." Daniel Ortiz "Do you intend to make any courtesy calls on him?" H.E. Nestor Mendez, Assistant Sec. Gen. - OAS "I certainly will try. The Prime Minister is very busy between today and tomorrow and I'm leaving on Wednesday, but certainly I will try and visit the country."

Cabinet Sworn In
Earlier we told you who's who in the cabinet - with the assignment of all the portfolios. And this afternoon in Belmopan all the Ministers and Minister of State were sworn in by the Governor General. They collectively took their oath of office - and here's how that looked:.. After taking their oath - they all signed the oath before the GG. They are also newly elected members of House of Representatives and they will meet for the first time on Friday - when the 31 members will be sworn in. The new senate will also be sworn in at that time. Today the Prime Minister named his appointments to that upper house - as it is called. The senate is led by President Lee Mark Chang, followed by Leader of Government Business Godwin Hulse, and he is joined by five new senators. They are losing Freetown Candidate, Dr. Carla Barnett, attorney Aldo Salazar, attorney Francine Burns, banker Steve Duncan and educator Macario Coy. And a correction to what we reported earlier: Attorney General Vanessa Retreage is not a senator - the law does not require for her to be a senator to be A-G.

Young Americas Business Trust IN BELIZE
Today, the Small Business Development Center, an arm of BELTRAIDE opened a workshop in partnership with the Young Americas Business Trust. It's a business lab focused on intellectual properties and the commercialization of creative industries. BELTRAIDE will be working with officials from YABT, the OAS, Trade Organizations from Israel. 7News stopped by the opening ceremony and spoke with a few of the partners: A correction to what I said just now, the Small Business Development Center, is an arm of BELTRAIDE. The training continues for the rest of the week and ends on Friday.

Harvest For Kids, Soybean Edition
We've shown you them dealing with corn many times, but this weekend, The Harvest for Kids team harvested their first Soy Bean crop in Orange Walk. About 30 city kids traveled to Blue Creek, Orange Walk on Saturday to see 8 combines dredge through 40 acres of Soy bean. It was as successful as the corn harvest in October and one of the coordinators told us that they already have buyers lined up for the soy bean. All the proceeds from the sale of these crops will go to the kids at Belize Camping Experience.

#509024 - 11/10/15 05:50 AM Re: Today's Belize News: November 10, 2015 [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Channel 5

A New U.D.P. Cabinet is Sworn In
Following a decisive victory at the polls last week Wednesday, leader of the United Democratic Party Dean Barrow was sworn in as Prime Minister by the Governor General in a [...]

Six Senators Named to Upper Parliament, Lee Mark Chang is New President
Prime Minister Barrow also named the new Senators of the United Democratic Party, starting with his candidate who unsuccessfully attempted to regain the Freetown seat from P.U.P. leader Francis Fonseca. [...]

C.E.O.s Reshuffled, New Additions Introduced
Along with the designation of Cabinet Ministers to their respective portfolios, a total of nineteen Chief Executive Officers have also been appointed.  A majority of those C.E.O.s are returning, albeit [...]

Gapi Vega is Minister of Agriculture. Was He Demoted?
Of all the shuffles and tweaking which accompanied the appointment of the new Cabinet, on the face of it the title of biggest loser would have to go to Deputy [...]

Gapi Says Monchi Outspent Him in Orange Walk North
As the U.D.P.’s mover and shaker in the north, Gaspar Vega actually gained ground, holding on to four seats held by the party and adding one more. But in his [...]

PM Responds to Post-election Results Incident in Belmopan
In the midst of the election results euphoria in Belmopan, there was a very serious incident. One of John Saldivar’s supporters allegedly discharged a firearm into the air. He was [...]

Pablo Marin is Still Minister of Health, PM Comments
Two portfolios which received perhaps the most unflattering scrutiny, run by two Ministers who came under sustained attack pre-elections, were returned to those Ministers. One of those ministers is Corozal [...]

‘Sedi’ Elrington Praised as Minister of Foreign Affairs
Where controversial Wilfred Elrington is concerned, the Prime Minister had nothing but praise for his intellect and performance as Foreign Minister. He did concede, though, that there is disquiet in [...]

Career Cop Turned Politician is Junior Minister of Youth, Sports & Culture
Orange Walk East was expected to be a battleground in that district – two dynamic young candidates going head to head. But when the last ballot was counted, the U.D.P.’s [...]

‘Papa’ Mena Clears Up Election Night Comments
Frank ‘Papa’ Mena, the U.D.P.’s Area Representative for Dangriga, has weathered two storms in quick succession – a bi-election followed by the general election last week. For his success on [...]

Fugitive Mexican/American Businessman is Denied Bail
Forty-seven-year-old David Nanes Schnitzer, a Mexican/American businessman wanted for defrauding thousands of investors while serving as president of Stanford Group Mexico, pleaded guilty to uttering upon a forged document in [...]

Police Constable Remanded for Unlawful Sexual Intercourse with Minor
A police officer assigned to the Orange Walk formation is tonight on remand at the Belize Central Prison after being charged for unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor.  Thirty-one-year-old Police [...]

4 Years for Man Busted with Sawed-off Shotgun at Funeral
Wilfred Ramirez was the youth who police caught with a sawed-off shotgun during the funeral of street personality, Julian Willoughby back in May 2014. Today, Ramirez changed his not guilty [...]

Telethon to Raise Funds for Purchase of TV Ramos Bust
It’s almost a year since the bust of Garifuna hero and national icon, Thomas Vincent Ramos, was acquired by Dangriga. It was officially unveiled in that municipality on the celebration [...]

Belizean Artist Lincoln Jones Launches New Music Video
You may recognize him as the lead singer of the local male singing group, Acafellas, when they made their debut on Season Two of Channel Five’s Entertainment Show, Superstar. Well [...]

Volley and Football Results in Sports Monday
Good evening, I’m James Adderley and this is Sports Monday.   The PLB tournament an into another road block in a football season that can only be described as tumultuous [...]

ASR/BSI & Cane Farmers Getting Ready To Face New Challenges For Next Crop Season
The first estimate for sugar cane prices have been presented to the Associations and the projection is nowhere near satisfactory or encouraging to the farming community. BSI has issued the numbers which stand at a far lower price than the last estimate being 41.56 dollars. BSI also estimates that it will mill approximately 1, 225, 000 tons of sugar cane, producing 129, 000 tons of sugar. The estimate is a steep drop from last years $75.00 but according to BSI officials, it is due to falling EU market prices and a new contract with Tate & Lyle. Financial officer at BSI, Belizario Carballo said in this morning’s Despierta Belice that there was a drop in the EU market below the minimum price of 4.25 euros and while the industry expected drops in prices in 2017, they had begun seeing the decease since last year. What shielded Belize then was a contract with Tate & Lyle that extended to the 2015 crop which saw Belize receiving up to 100 euros more than what the actual market price was. This he says kept the prices last year to where it was, but for the new crop, they are working on an entirely new contract with Tate & Lyle.

Missing Twelve Years Old Kid From Louisiana Area
Authorities in Orange Walk are seeking the assistance of the general public in locating a missing twelve year old boy from the Louisiana Area of Orange Walk Town. He is Anthony Quim of an Oak Street address, and student of Louisiana School. According to his parents, Anthony Quim left home to an unknown destination and have not been seen or heard from since. Anthony is of Hispanic descent, weighs about 100lbs, clear skin, and has black hair and about 5ft in height. Police Investigations continue.

Police Continue Investigations On Case Of Kevin Salazar
Orange Walk Police are yet to locate an individual responsible for a chopping incident that left one Orange Walk resident fighting for his life at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital. On Friday we told you about the mother of the victim making a formal report to the police about who was responsible for her son’s misfortune but tonight, police are no closer in making an arrest. But there is some discrepancy in this story since Kevin Salazar’s attacker is well known to authorities. Tonight, police have ordered us not to release a picture of the wanted man until further notice. We’ll keep monitoring this story….

Honorable Dean Barrow Announces New Cabinet Members
Following a third consecutive victory for the UDP, today, the new Cabinet for the third Barrow administration was sworn in at the Governor General's residence in Belmopan. These events usually carry an air of celebration - as the newly ascended minister’s bus in hundreds of supporters to share in the big day. But today, as the UDP starts its third term, it was a mostly a business-like affair. But first, at a packed-to-capacity room at the Biltmore Plaza, Barrow announced the composition of his Cabinet which resulted in a mix of new and old Minister Players… “I will be Minister of Finance, Minister of the Public Service, and Minister of Energy and Minister of Public Utilities. My Minister of State will be the honorable Frank ‘Papa’ Mena. The honorable Erwin Contreras now becomes the Minister of Economic Development, Petroleum, Investment, Trade and Commerce. The honorable Tracy Taegar-Panton is the Minister of State in that Ministry. The honorable Patrick Faber is the Minister of Education including Science and Technology Education, Culture, Youth and Sports.

PM Announces New Cabinet, Senators and CEOs
A few hours after the announcement by the Prime Minister of who will be forming the new Cabinet and in what capacity, 17 men and three women were sworn in at the Belize House in Belmopan, Cayo District. The swearing in ceremony was done at three o’clock Monday afternoon and presided over by His Excellency […]

PM Barrow Appoints First Ever Female Attorney General for Belize
Prime Minister Dean Barrow in his announcement of his third Cabinet since his initial victory in 2008 has appointed the first female ever to serve in the capacity of Belize’s Attorney General. According to PM, the appointment of Attorney-at-Law, Vanessa Retreage will ease the responsibilities of Wilfred Elrington, who previously held that seat. DEAN BARROW […]

Deputy PM Says His Duty is to Work Hard Despite Any Portfolio Assigned
As noted Deputy Prime Minister Gaspar Vega was stripped of one of what is considered on the most powerful ministries, that of lands. In making the announcement today, Prime Minister Barrow said Vega himself had requested being relieved of the ministry prior to the elections. Many consider the removal of the Ministry of Lands as […]

Castro Feels Jilted as Minister of State Following Three Consecutive Wins
Last Wednesday Belize Rural North Area Representative, Edmund Castro, won his seat for the third time. There were expectations, especially among his constituents that Castro would finally be given a full ministry. It can be recalled that since being elected the most he has gotten was that of being a Junior Minister. Well it was […]

Sub-Committees to be Formed for Investment and Belize/Guatemala Issue
During this morning’s press conference, Prime Minister Dean Barrow said that for more efficiency and to address the Belize Guatemala issue, there will be the formation of two Cabinet sub-committees. DEAN BARROW “The Cabinet subcommittee on investment and we are going to charter a new cabinet subcommittee on Guatemala, that is going to be and […]

PM: Marin Has Forged Relations Abroad; Elrington Dubbed 1st Class Foreign Minister
Two of the UDPs re-elected were Pablo Marin and Wilfred Elrington. Both Marin and Elrington had remained under sustained criticisms especially during the latter portion of their last term. When Prime Minister Dean Barrow announced his Cabinet it was noted that Pablo Marin was once again assigned the portfolio of Health. Prime Minister Dean Barrow […]

Immigration Minister Says the Work Continues
Following the fallout over the Elvin Penner passport issue in which a South Korean inmate somehow acquired a Belizean passport, Godwin Hulse was appointed as Minister of Immigration. During his tenure, there have been a number of changes to the process involved in obtaining a Belizean passport. Today we asked Hulse if he is satisfied […]

Officer Caught Assaulting Prisoner
A police officer is out on bail after being caught on surveillance camera, beating an inmate. Twenty six year old Kent Thompson, a police officer of Hillview area, Santa Elena Town, Cayo District, attached to the San Ignacio Police Formation was seen on a surveillance camera beating Gustavo Williams. Williams reported that on Monday, October […]

Young Man Nabbed with Suspected Proceeds of Weekend Burglary
An Orange Walk resident is expected to be charged today in the San Ignacio’s Magistrate Court for a burglary incident that occurred over the weekend in San Ignacio Town, Cayo District. 20-year-old, Jessie Briceno of San Felipe Village, Orange Walk District was nabbed through the collaboration of the Orange Walk and San Ignacio Police. Briceno […]

Stolen Firearm Resurfaces in Shooting Incident
On September 21, there was a home invasion that occurred in San Ignacio Town at the home of Ismael and Judith Pulido where monies, jewelry and a firearm were stolen. Over the weekend, that nine millimeter Glock resurfaced in a shooting incident that occurred in San Ignacio Town last Thursday, November 5. According to Police, […]

Did Bandits Steal the Match?
A video circulating on social media has garnered much attention. It is a video showing disgruntled football fans at the gate of the FFB stadium in Belmopan during the second leg of a match between Verdes FC and the Belmopan Bandits for the Premier League of Belize. Fans could be seen demanding that ...

VIP’s position
The Vision Inspired by the People has always had a strong base in Belmopan, well that’s as far as third parties go. When the amalgamation of 2 third parties occurred to form the BPP, we made the mistake to include the VIP in that roaster, that’s because two very stalwart members of the VIP were also...

VIP Will Pursue Case against the Electoral Distribution
On October 15th less than a month before the general elections the Vision Inspired by the People (VIP) filed a case at the Supreme Court in Belize City in an attempt to stay the elections from happening. The stance they took is that contrary to section 90 (1) (a) of the constitution of Belize the e...

The return of Sedi and Pablo
Ministers Wilfred Elrington and Pablo Marin have been returned to their respective portfolios of Foreign Affairs and Health, despite public missteps recorded in the last few years. While Prime Minister Dean Barrow says he cannot afford to ignore public opinion, whether at the polls or on the public ...

Demotion for Gaspar Vega?
As explained previously Deputy Prime Minister Gaspar Vega is out as Minister of Natural Resources, responsible for the management of land in Belize. But according to Prime Minister Dean Barrow, after seven years in charge, he wanted out, even before the general elections, because of the toll the pos...

Dr. Carla Barnett is pick of new Senators; Veteran CEO team stays in place
The United Democratic Party (UDP) is entitled as ruling party to six members of the Senate and Prime Minister Dean Barrow named those persons today as well. Leading the pack is Godwin Hulse as Leader of Government Business, continuing a run that started when he was senator for the business communit...

PM names new Cabinet
Eighteen men and three women will serve in the new Cabinet of Prime Minister Dean Barrow; they were sworn in this afternoon in Belmopan and will meet tomorrow morning at ten in Belmopan. Among them are two surprise victors in the Belize District and the first woman Attorney General of Belize, along ...

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Orange Walk cop charged for teen sex
31 year old Constable Hector Esquivel of Orange Walk Town has been accused of having unlawful sexual intercourse with a 14 year old high school student. Tonight he is on remand at the Belize Central Prison after appearing in court today. Senior Magistrate, Sharon Fraser read the charge before […]

David Schnitzer changes plea in forgery case
Given the weekend to think about it, 47 year old Mexican-American David Miguel Nanes Schnitzer, wanted in Mexico and the United States in connection with the Allen Stanford Ponzi scheme and charged for uttering a false Belize driver’s license, changed his plea from guilty to not guilty in […]

The return of Sedi and Pablo
Ministers Wilfred Elrington and Pablo Marin have been returned to their respective portfolios of Foreign Affairs and Health, despite public missteps recorded in the last few years. While Prime Minister Dean Barrow says he cannot afford to ignore public opinion, whether at the polls or on the public […]

Cabinet Sub-Committee to be formed on Guatemala issue
The Cabinet has a standing sub-committee on Investment which was last chaired by Senator Godwin Hulse. With effect from Tuesday’s meeting, another such sub-committee will be formed, to address the Guatemala issue. Prime Minister Barrow told us that it is intended to look at all angles of the issue, but not […]

Ex-Lands Minister: Department “getting to be too much”
As explained previously, Deputy Prime Minister Gaspar Vega is out as Minister of Natural Resources, responsible for the management of land in Belize. But according to Prime Minister Dean Barrow, after seven years in charge, he wanted out, even before the general elections, because of the toll the […]

The ins and outs of the reconstructed Government Service
Eighteen men and three women will serve in the new Cabinet of Prime Minister Dean Barrow; they were sworn in this afternoon in Belmopan and will meet tomorrow morning at ten in Belmopan. Among them are two surprise victors in the Belize District and the first woman Attorney General of […]

Four years imprisoment for youth caught with firearm at funeral
Reported associate of late crime figure Julian Willoughby, 22 year old Wilfred Ramirez, today pleaded guilty to keeping a prohibited firearm and ammunition and will serve four years in prison. He was famously caught by police with a sawed-off shotgun while attending the burial of Willoughby, 24, following […]

One arrested for burglary at Julies Hardware in San Ignacio
A former employee of Julies Hardware Store in San Ignacio Town has been charged for the offense of “Burglary” after he used a key to gain access into the establishment and stole a total of $10,000 in cash, sometime during Saturday night and yesterday morning. The owner of Julies, 49-year-old […]

Illegal immigrant pleads guilty to police assault
32 year old Carmen Orellana has no legal status in Belize and faces possible deportation tonight after a disorderly conduct call to police in the Belama area escalated to police assault, though Orellana got the worst of it. Orellana, whose full name is Carmen Orellana Olliana and who is originally […]

One charged for shooting in Santa Elena
As a result of an incident in which 45-year-old Calvin Leslie was shot to the shoulder, 27-year-old Charles Leslie of Unitedville in the Cayo District, was arrested and charged for the offenses of “Attempted Murder”, “Use of deadly means of harm”, “Kept firearm without a gun license”, “Kept ammunition without […]

Prime Minister names Cabinet, Senators, CEO’s
The following is the list of members of Cabinet, Senators and Chief Executive Officers named by Prime Minister Dean Barrow this morning in Belize City. They will be sworn in at 3:00 this afternoon in Belmopan. 1.) Honorable Dean Barrow: Prime Minister and Minister of Finance, Public Service, Energy and […]

Thief makes off with motorcycle
Allen Vernon, a 21-year-old employee of Puma Gas Station on Freetown Road in Belize City, reported to police on Saturday, November 7th that his 100cc Meilun motorcycle was stolen from outside his apartment. Vernon told officers that about half an hour after arriving home and parking his motorcycle valued at […]

Relatively dry conditions expected across the country
The National Meteorological Service of Belize is predicting sunny skies with cloudy spells today and partly cloudy skies tonight. Showers and thunderstorms will be generally isolated, along Southern coastal areas this morning and tonight where a few more will occur. Winds will be blowing from the East-Northeast at 5-15 knots […]

Boca Poca and Tasty Taco Pizza
The first Boca Poca Fun Run raised a total of $511 for the San Pedro Food Bank. The event started at 1:00pm and our first bar was Nook Restaurant and Cocktail Bartique. This is a nice spot in town, to enjoy a cocktail on the beach. After we had all signed in and paid our $20 Nook gave the fun run crowd complimentary shots. When we got to Di V’u Dock Bar and Reef Side Dining, it was 50/50 and french fry time. Both Shirlee and I inhaled our fry baskets – fresh cut = yum :) Di V’u is the old Wet Willy’s and their deck has always been popular for sunning and fish watching.

Pineapple Habanero Coconut Shrimp
This coconut crusted shrimp is so delicious and very easy to make. When paired up with Marie Sharp's Habanero hot pepper sauce and pineapple dipping sauce it makes it that much better. Sabroso!!!

Where Will You Stretch Your Hammock?
Ahhhh! The balmy tropical winds baste the endless beaches warm breaths. Coconut palms sway to the beat of an island Called (San Pedro Ambergris Caye) steel drum song. And everywhere, just everywhere one looks there is the water. The deeply aquamarine only the Caribbean impossibly crystal clear water. Paradise lost, paradise found, paradise regained. Most of the first time visitors in Belize or in the Caribbean defined it as the Ohhhs or Ahhs. And they're surprised; because in fact if you are visiting Belize the travel agent's will give you great promises tours. The water is just as clear, the beaches are just as clean and unspoiled, and you really can find your own stretch of deserted shoreline miles from the nearest jet skies, parasailing, snorkeling and more. If you want to visit San Pedro Ambergris Caye Planning to visit around Belize? it looks way better than seeing it in videos. Its a chilling vacation you will never forget. This makes sense though, and after you visited the place you will understand why. Around Belize, it has all the magnificent beaches and the clear, population-free water characteristic the island of San Pedro and including visiting the mainland of Belize. But, to understand Belize you most first know the history. Mestizos, Mennonites, Mayas, Garifuna, Chinese and Taiwanese, East Indians/Coolie.

Here is a page for youngsters in Belize fullbasketbelize.org
The Belizean Kriol proverb, “one, one, okra full basket,” roughly translates to “step by step, we will reach our goal.” In this spirit, Full Basket Belize was founded ten years ago to support those working for positive change at the grass roots of Belize. Student by student and project by project, Full Basket Belize assists Belizeans to improve the education, health, environment and economic development of Belizean communities. The FBB Scholars program partnered with 11 Belizean secondary schools to support 29 students with full scholarships in 2015-2016. FBB’s Community Grants Program supported dozens of local organizations to improve the education, health and environment of Belizean communities in the past ten years. Apply for your 2016 scholarship here today or donate today.

Belize: learning about Altun Ha
What had once been the thriving urban center of an ancient trade capital was eerily quiet now, except for the occasional squawk of birds hidden high in the treetops. The view from the top of the main pyramid was impressive. Altun Ha an entire ancient city that had been sleeping here for centuries, undisturbed beneath the sheltering green canopy of jungle that covers all of central Belize. The steep stone steps of the pyramid’s central stairway makes everyone getting to the top tiring, sweaty challenge. And now, despite the rising tropical heat and the lack of any breeze at all, sometimes humidity or windy it is determined to enjoy the stunning view for as long as you possibly want to enjoy. When you make it to the peak of one of the most important Mayan sites in Belize: the place where gods and rulers had once stood above the lost city of Altun Ha. Below, the central plaza was bordered on all sides by stone temples and smaller pyramids. In the distance you could also see a number of still on-excavated burial mounds. What had once been the thriving urban center of an ancient trade capital was eerily quiet now, except for the occasional squawk of birds hidden high in the treetops.

The Road North: A Market, The Beach Basket, Fills a Big Void
This blog seems to be getting a new theme. Pave road on North Ambergris Caye and businesses start to pop up to service the residents and the many hotel rooms that existing and are being built. The bulk of new construction, right now, is at Grand Caribe Resort (which is putting in a new 5 story building on her north side)… …and the massive Venezia Del Caribe (just north of Coco Beach Resort). I’ve highlighted Stella’s Smile and The Truck Stop (both on the lagoon side between Palapa Bar and Ak’Bol Yoga Resort… Now there is a supermarket! The Beach Basket has opened at Grand Caribe Resort…on the south end – first floor under Rain Restaurant. Let me show you around. It looks beautiful. Granite counter tops…SERIOUS refrigeration…and a really good selection with more to come.

Placencia Village Activities to Include in Your Itinerary
Placencia Village is one of the best places to visit in your Belize. Know some of the best activities and tours in Placencia to include in your travel itinerary. Placencia Village offers you one of the best opportunities to experience Belize culture, bathe in white sandy beaches and mingle with the locals. Other things you can experience here are its numerous Mayan temple sites, whale sharks, turquoise waters and Belizean food, and many more. As you enjoy all these activities, you can stay in their low-cost Placencia Village rentals at the end of the day, where you can peacefully relax and rest. Below are some activities and tours in Placencia. Located in the nearby Stan Creek Village, the Cockscomb Wildlife Sanctuary is the very first jaguar reserve in the world. In this sanctuary, you can see gorgeous waterfalls, stunning mountain views and colorful fauna. One of the best adventure activities you can do here is river tubing, and there are many others. This reserve might be popular for its jaguars, but you will unlikely see them as they are nocturnal. However, this cultural reserve is also home to deers, tapirs and other wildlife you might see in your tour.

International Sourcesizz

Imagine No More Safe Chocolate To Eat — 70% Of World’s Chocolate To Be Genetically Modified
‘With the intention of flooding 70% of the global cocoa supply with genetically modified (GMO) cocoa tree hybrids, a collaboration involving Mars, USDA and IBM is accelerating this process. With primary funding from US chocolate producer Mars, the partnership includes scientists based at the Agricultural Research Service (ARS) of the US Department of Agriculture and Science as well as researchers working at IBM’s Thomas J Watson Research Center. The scientists are determined to finalize gene sequencing of the cocoa genome which they say will “benefit” the chocolate industry and cocoa growers in West Africa where 70 percent of the world’s cocoa is produced, and in other tropical zones.’

Regional pollster calls for Commonwealth nominee consensus
In an op-ed piece appearing in the Caribbean Times on Monday, Barbados-based political consultant and pollster, Peter Wickham, called on the current chairman of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), Barbados Prime Minister Freundel Stuart, to facilitate a consensus on a single regional candidate for the post of Commonwealth secretary general ahead of the Commonwealth heads of government meeting (CHOGM) in Malta on November 27. “From the perspective of this region our inability to arrive at a single common nominee reflects a significant weakness. CARICOM is currently led by Barbados and the fact that PM Browne [of Antigua and Barbuda] was recently forced to go public with his concerns about the manner in which Barbados was retarding the process of arriving at a consensus is disturbing,” said Wickham, a director of Caribbean Development Research Services (CADRES).

• Belize 2015, 17min. Our amazing trip to Turneffe Flats and Chaa Creek!

• Nah-Lin Producing the Best Homemade Pinapple Juice of Belize, 4min. Nah-Lin Chevillon is showing and explaining her Production of the best homemade Pinapple juice in Belize. Her neighbour from Guatemala and helper is playing the music on his guitar.

• Susan Morrice - Belize Natural Energy, 10min. An interview at the Geological Society with Susan Morrice, Founder and Chairman of Belize Natural Energy.

• Belize 2015 Presentation Video, 5min. PHPCA's first international mission trip to Belize City, Belize 2015

• Jaguar Reef Lodge, 4.5min.

• Almond Beach Resort and Spa, 4.5min.

• Maya Island Air Cessna 208 Caravan from Belize International to Belize Municipal, 5min. Full five minute flight on Maya Island Air Cessna 208 Caravan from BZE to TZA.

• Belize Adventures,Blue Hole and Shark Alley - Travel with a Real Life Indiana Jones, 7min.

• Casa de Caribbean, Caye Caulker Belize, 3min.

• El Pescador Canyons Belize 2015, 5min. Family dive trip to Belize in October 2015. The swim through was quite an experience.

• belize ziplining, 6min. USA Dive Club Zip Lining in Belize.

• Global Media Project Goes to Belize: Pen Cayetano, 3min.

• Driving through Placencia, Belize, 14min. he drive from 19 mile to the end of Placencia Peninsula.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
    Daily Weather

Classified Ads
    San Pedro Sun
    Ambergris Today
    SP Town Council
    Channel 7
    Channel 5
    Love FM
    The Reporter
    Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
    Radio Stations

Click for our
    Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
    Event Calendar
    Specials & Events
    Things to Do
    iTravel Belize
    Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
    Tia Chocolate
    My Beautiful Belize
    I-Travel Belize
    Belize Adventure
    Belize Hub
    Romantic Travel
    Bound for Belize
    Conch Creative
    As The Coconuts Drop
    More Blogs...
    Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
    Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
    White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
    Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
    We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
    Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
    Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
    Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
    Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
    Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
    More Links
    Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    30 31
    Who's Online
    1 registered (Marty), 46 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Stats
    18,636 Registered Members
    44 Forums
    63,728 Topics
    461,283 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
    BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
    BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
    BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
    and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.