Located up by the Split, the much-anticipated opening of Gelato Italiano took place on Sunday 15th. Anna and Marco Marini are the proprietors of this new business venture. As the winds blew and the spray danced erratically out on the choppy sea, Marco donned his whites and started preparing his first creation of the day. Homemade gelato made by a family who have been in the business since 1936.

All of their different flavours are 100% Gluten free and the sorbet that they serve is made with seasonal fresh fruits and dairy free. Even people who suffer from being lactose intolerant can now get to enjoy some wonderful flavours to revitalise them on a hot day. With the gelato, Anna and Marco import all the base mixes direct from Italy and the brand they use Fabbri is Italy’s number one brand and used by all the top gelato makers.

To be honest, I had never tasted real Italian gelato before and my first impression was “Wow!” The flavours just seem to burst in your mouth and then remain strong on your palate. I have sampled many of the different choices Marco has prepared over the previous week or so whilst perfecting his recipes. I think I am his official taste tester. His words to me were, “I need someone who is not Italian to sample the gelato because we Italians already know how it should taste.” A virgin mouth was needed.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the Caye Caulker Chronicles!