FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Letter to the Editor: Lliani Paz on Ecotourism
Dear Editor: In agreement with the current promotion of diabetes awareness in Belize, I take this opportunity to examine the growing illness of our society and environment from the impact of cruise tourism, a condition sickening the nation of Belize. I note the recent appointment made by the Right Honorable Prime Minister of Mr Yashin Dujon as CEO of the Ministry of Tourism. Mr Dujon holds a Masters in 'Responsible Tourism', a term which leaves much to be clarified. Ecotourism was first promoted by the United Democratic Party during its term of office from 1993-98. At that time, many workshops were held to educate and encourage the development of sustainable tourism endeavors and give clear focus and guidance for the fledgling tourism product. At one such workshop I attended at the Rio Bravo Station of Programme for Belize, participants from both the public and private sector from various Caribbean islands shared their valuable experience in mass/cruise tourism and the regrets they had after seeing the rapid and severe deterioration of their natural resources and sensitive habitats. All participants including representatives from local government ministries, Programme for Belize and the private sector, were strongly admonished to take up the challenge of making Belize a leader in this new approach for the region and to heed the warning given by our Caribbean partners.

Wolfe's Woofer: Home Cooking
"Hey, Mr. Dennis." "Hey, Moises," I said. "Come on over and join me." Moises sat down at my table on the Holiday Hotel Deck with his little brown bag of food from Celi's Deli. "What are you eating this morning?" I asked. "I had three of those meat pies." "I got six meat pies, a breakfast burrito and a breakfast tortilla." "What?! How can someone your size eat that much food?" "I could eat more," Moises said, "But I ran out of money. I feel like I'm starving to death." "Wait a minute. Didn't you get married last week?" "Yes." "Doesn't your wife cook?" "She cooks."

Police Drugs Report
On Wednesday, November 11th between 5AM and 12:10PM, a team of San Pedro Quick Response Team and Special Branch personnel conducted a joint anti-drugs operation within San Pedro Town, whereby a search was conducted near the premises of a known drug dealer in the DFC Area, San Pedro Town. The search led to the discovery of a black plastic bag amongst some rubbish containing a total of 54.8 grams of suspected Cannabis, which was labelled as found property. A search was also conducted near the premises of a known drug dealer in the Bayside Area, San Pedro Town. The search led to the discovery of a transparent Ziploc bag in a garbage pile containing a parcel wrapped in transparent plastic and a small transparent plastic bag containing a total of 193.6 grams of suspected Cannabis, which was labelled and deposited as found property.

Doctor Love: Toddler Mom
Dear Doctor Love I am twenty years old and my sister is twenty-nine. She got pregnant when she was fifteen and her oldest son is now fourteen years old. Her son has always been pretty much of a brat because he has always gotten away with anything he does. She does not punish him or reprimand him. In the last two years he has gotten even worse. His grades in school have steadily gone down. He has been kicked out of school for fighting and stealing. Now, he has reached the last straw. He did not come home last Saturday until two o'clock in the morning and my sister was going crazy with fear. She called me to help her look for him but we did not see him until he came home at two a.m. They got into an argument and he hit her. I tried to call the police but she begged me not to. That's when I decided to leave them alone to sort it out between them. My son is two years old and I do not want him to grow up like this. Please give me some advice. /s/ Toddler Mom

Ambergris Today

Amazon's Mad Dogs Online Series Shoots Footage in Belize
Strangely enough, when we reported about the Amazon.com online series Mad Dogs and how it was based in Belize, we found out later on that none of the filming took place in the country, but instead Puerto Rico. It was only based in Belize; not even the actors had placed foot in the country. We can only speculate that the filming was done outside the country due to lack of film resourced in Belize, but two weeks ago the crew arrived in the country to obtain some real footage to make the online series 'more Belizean'. After downloading the first episode of Mad Dogs, we noticed that the plot of the story took place in Belize, but nowhere in the footage were we able to identify Belizean scenery. Even the airport footage was clearly not at the Phillip Goldson International Airport. "What a bummer," we thought. After doing some research, we found out that filming of Mad Dogs was done in Puerto Rico for some odd reason. At first we were excited that the series would bring publicity to Belize, but then got worried that people might get the wrong image of Belize after seeing footage that was from Puerto Rico. Well now we find out that the writer and creator of the show Cris Cole was with his team shooting at the Michael Finnegan Market a couple weeks ago; they were going around the country obtaining real footage of Belize.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

New COPA service to BZE
Anyone else see this ad from Copa Airlines? We thought we would share it and ask you all to do so too. Lets support Copa Airlines. This flight to Panama City, Panama will open up much more of the world to Belize.

Children's Park Management Committee
Like our page and keep up to date as we restore Caye Caulker's only children's park. 'We' are excited and hope the community join us in rebuilding the park so our island kids along with visitors can have a safe environment in creating fond memories!! Committee members will be introduced soon!

Messages from the Gods, A Guide to the Useful Plants of Belize!
This is the new book - the result of this 9 year research with the traditional healers of Belize: Messages from the Gods, A Guide to the Useful Plants of Belize! Come buy it in our factory in Santa Elena. A great Christmas Gift! A reviewer writes: "Over the course of more than 25 years, Michael Balick and Rosita Arvigo have forged one of the most significant partnerships in the history of ethnobotany. This splendid book, the culmination of their collaboration, will live on as the definitive text on the traditional uses of plants in Belize for generations."--Wade Davis, Ph.D. Professor of Anthropology and LEEF Chair in Cultures and Ecosystems at Risk, University of British Columbia. This book is gorgeous, many colored pictures, great descriptions. I haven't laid it down for the last three months.

Splashers
This Thursday at Crazy Canucks Beach Bar 2p.m.

Full Moon Over the Reef Concert

The Reporter

Shooting victim is cousin of "Ghost", killed in 2012
Credible reports are that Liston Myers, the man identified identified as Sunday morning's shooting victim, was not the intended target. Myers was repoetedly walking with a man who is believed to have been the intended target, but he escaped unhurt. Myers is the cousin of Leonard "Ghost" Myers who was one of four men whose throats were slashed in 2012 in a house on George Street. He underwent surgery and is now in a stable condition at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital. The shooting is believed to be part of the ongoing internal George Street conflict which police have been trying to diffuse, but without much success.

Shooting in Collet leaves man hospitalized
A shooting early Sunday morning on Pitter Street in the Collet division has left a man hospitalized. The incident occurred at around 6:45 a.m. around the lane from Kim's Shop. Residents heard two gunshots, after which the victim, still unidentified, ran a short distance before collapsing near a drain. His shooters, two youths, ran up Antelope Street and onto Elston Kerr Street.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Shooting in Belize City
One man is hospitalized and undergoing surgery following a shooting incident on Pitter Street in the Collet Division. Around 6:45 this morning the victim was apparently shot twice around the lane from Kim's Shop, and ran a short distance before collapsing near a drain, according to residents who heard the gunfire. His shooters, identified only as "two youths", ran off up Antelope Street and into Elston Kerr Street.

Blogs

My Week in San Pedro, Belize: A Recap
It's November and the busy season, in my estimation, is here early. Visitors abound, new businesses are opening, existing ones are getting new looks�it's all quite exciting. Here are the snap shots from my week out and about on Ambergris Caye. Breakfast/lunch at Estel's is part of every week that I have in San Pedro. Proof that the Maya gods enjoyed a Belikin or two� And proof that I enjoy a fry jack or 10. (Fry jacks are deep fried flour tortilla dough - and Estel's makes the very best in Belize.)

Quesadillas de Carne
1) The first step is to heat oil in a large skillet and fry the chopped onions for 2 minutes. 2) Mix in the meat and the chiles with the onions and mix well so that the meat is well combined with the vegetables; only the strips of meat have to stay flat to go well in our quesadillas. Season with salt, pepper and all the other spices in the list. 3) Once the meat is well cooked, test seasoning and add more spices if necessary. Add the chopped tomatoes until they are slightly cooked. Do not overcook them so that the tomatoes do not become too liquid.

A great way to visit with vacationing friends
Last weekend Shannon, her daughter Jana were doing a fast 2 day visit along with Shannon's friends Alex and Albert - all from Texas. Knowing that the weather was still going to be stormy, I decided to check in last minute with Mayan Princess and see if they had a room open. Thankfully they did. This made it so much easier to spend time with Shannon and Jana. Living down south, with the rains, giant lakes and potholes I likely would have only made it to town to see them once to share a meal somewhere. So glad it all fell into place and we got to enjoy some quality time together. I cannot believe how much Jana has grown since the last time I saw her - from a cute little girl to a pretty and polite young adult. Shannon and I spent much of our time catching up in my room lying on the comfortable queen bed, chatting like teenagers and playing with our cell phones. Over the course of that time it was amazing how many times the sky changed as the sun tried to stay out and another heavy rain cloud took over. We both kept getting up to marvel over the sky and snap pics. My 3rd floor room had a better field of vision for this as opposed to theirs on the 1st floor. While we were doing girl time Jana stayed downstairs in their room to relax and read, coming up periodically to say hi.

International Sourcesizz

Marines help Central American troops develop training
Central American troops gearing up to fight the brutal gangs and drug cartels plaguing their region will soon train at schoolhouses that small teams of Marines helped develop. About 280 Marines began returning to Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, in mid-November following a six-month deployment to four Central American countries. It marks the end of the inaugural deployment for Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force - South, which was headquartered at Soto Cano Air Base in Honduras. The Marines spent the deployment working alongside military partners in Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador and Belize. They built new schools, runways and other infrastructure in the troubled region while remaining at the ready to assist with any humanitarian crises that emerged during hurricane season. They also dispatched four small Marine Security Cooperation Teams to military bases in the region to assist local troops in honing their infantry and leadership skills through the development of new training programs.

With apologies to Arthur Carlson, wild turkeys can fly!
Wild turkeys face various perils at all points in their life cycles, from eggs to newly hatched young to adult birds. Turkey eggs are a favorite food of such wild animals as raccoons, skunks, opossums and some snakes. Young turkeys, known as poults, are often the prey of domestic dogs and cats, as well as a range of raptors, as well as birds such as crows and ravens. Larger predators - bobcats, cougars, coyotes, foxes and eagles - prey on adult turkeys. The wild turkey's scientific name is Meleagris gallopavo. The wild bird is exclusively resident in North America, but domesticated turkeys are now raised around the globe. The wild turkey has only one close relative, the ocellated turkey, or Meleagris ocellata, which ranges throughout the Yucat�n Peninsula in Mexico as well as the northern parts of Belize and Guatemala. The extent of this fowl's range is only about 50,000 square miles while the wild turkey ranges throughout the United States, as well as Canada and Mexico. Few birds have featured so prominently in the history of the United States as the wild turkey. In fact, the turkey came close to being named the official bird of the United States. Benjamin Franklin, who proposed the turkey as the official United States bird, was distraught when the bald eagle was chosen over the turkey. Franklin wrote to his daughter, referring to the eagle's "bad moral character," saying, "I wish the bald eagle had not been chosen as the Representative of our country! The turkey is a much more respectable bird, and withal a true original native of America."

Videos

• Belize Sports 2013, 4min. Service trip to Belmopan, Belize

• Belize Schools 2014, 7.5min. Service Trip to Orange Walk, Belize

• Belize - Ambergris Caye - Hol Chan & Shark Ray Alley, 12min. Belize's the most famous protected marine reserve, in the northern part of Belize just east of Ambergris Caye. The park encompasses a portion of the Belize Barrier Reef where there is a small channel in the reef, or "Hol Chan" in Maya.

• Zipline Belize 2015, 4min.

• Birds singing in the morning June 2015 Belize, 1/2min. Mornings are some of my favorite times of the day. I always enjoy listening to the morning birds singing in the backyard.

• B is for Belize, 3.5min. World Race Fusion in Belmopan, Belize for month 10.

• French Family Belize September & October 2015 Video, 4min. Our final 2 months in Belize! Celebrating Belize Independence Day, Street Evangelism, Evangelism Training, Armenia Children's One Year Anniversary, Flood Clean up, and saying good bye to all the people we have come to know and love in this beautiful country! We will miss our sweet Belize!

• Buorlinton St in Chan Chen, Corozal, Belize, 4min.