Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BZ4me Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

I'm sharing this information because "this past week Florentino Valesquez aka Papaito (his nickname) was set free on bail. Although we were in court last Wednesday, he was released on bail. Neither the prosecutor nor the police informed us that he was going to be set free. This man is extremely dangerous."

I'm posting this because he attacked a dear friend of mine. I've been told this is his third time being charged with attempt of murder. I have searched the San Pedro Sun for any information on his cases but have had no luck finding them. I've also looked for any information on the legal precedence for releasing a known criminal with the intention to do fatal hard to another human being and find none. All I find is as long as bail is paid, in cash, any criminal (no matter what the crime) will be released back into the community without any follow up by the legal system. If there is nothing to stop him, why should he?

T
T

Disgraceful. Sounds like Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson might have to deal with this one.

Captain One Iron
BZ4me Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for this link. Would you have the links to the other two attacks?

T
T
Don't have links to other articles but have found a couple of things searching the forumns.....

Burglary/ Possession of Controlled Drugs

On Wednesday, January 8th, Karim August, 19 year old resident of San Pedro Town, reported to San Pedro Police the house he had been taking care of had been broken in. According to August, he had been overseeing the home of Jerry Gilbreath located on the corner of Barrier Reef Drive and Caribe�a Street, and while making a check on the house on Saturday, January 4th at about 9:30PM he saw a group of young males inside the house. In addition, August also smelled a strong essence of marijuana in the house. August immediately contacted the police for assistance. Upon searching the house, police discovered four males hiding in a bathroom and a transparent zip-lock bag on a counter in the hall. The bag was suspected to contain cannabis. Upon further inspection, August reported that some items were missing from the house.

The drugs were weighed and amounted to 9.66 grams. The four persons were arrested and charged included 18 year old Florentino Velasquez and three underage males.

Wounding

Florentino Velasquez, 19 year old Belizean handyman of Boca del Rio Area, San Pedro Town reported to the San Pedro Police station that on Tuesday, February 11th at about 3:40PM while riding his bicycle on the beach front in Boca del Rio Area traveling on a South to North direction and after passing the High School he heard a loud bang and felt pain to his lower right foot and realized that he had been shot by an unknown person, he then made his way to the police station and made a formal report. Police investigations continue.

This last article is pretty ironic. Sounds like someone wasn't a very good shot. Probably a prior acquaintance !

Last edited by tahunt; 12/22/14 09:03 AM.
BZ4me Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for responding so quickly. Since I know the next two weeks I will have no luck collecting any information with the holidays I'll hit it at the first of the year. I'm just wanting to understand the legal excuse for the release. If, it's the law to release, no matter what the crime (except for murder) than as long as you pay your bail you're out, is free game. Torture, removing of body parts, skinning, etc. all can be charged but, if you can pay the bail, and no legal force cares to follow thru, than the baseline is clear.

Florentino Velasquez found guilty of Aggravated Burglary and Grievous Wounding

On Thursday, November 26th, Florentino Velasquez, also known as Papaito, was found guilty on one count of aggravated burglary and three counts of grievous wounding at the San Pedro Magistrate Court. Velasquez had been charged for the crimes back in September 2014 after he broke into a home and assaulted retired US nationals Douglas Kelly and Gail Neal. San Pedro Magistrate will officially announce Velasquez' imprisonment period on Thursday, December 10th during his final court session and sentencing.

Velasquez, who was no stranger to San Pedro Police at the time, had broken into the couple's apartment in the Tres Cocos Area and wounded three persons. The incident occurred on September 12, 2014 shortly after midnight when Velasquez forcefully entered the apartment through the front door, attacking Kelly and later Neal with a kitchen knife. Kelly received two cut wounds to the stomach, three cuts over the left eye and four cuts on top of the head, while Neal received injuries to the left eye and mouth. A neighbor of the couple who tried to aid them, Thomas Fiorille, was also injured in the incident by Velasquez. Fiorille sustained cut wounds to the chest and wrist.

Click here for the rest of the story in the San Pedro Sun

I don't understand. Is he doing n prison awaiting sentencing or has he been let out on bail and expected to return for sentencing?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.