Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#510152 - 12/24/15 11:29 AM Today's Belize News: December 24, 2015
Marty Offline

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Images of Belize by Tony Rath
Tony Rath, for as long as I can remember has been sharing his art with the world through photography. While I’ve never gotten the opportunity to meet the acclaimed nature photographer, I wake up every morning looking forward to seeing the gorgeous images that appear on my Facebook Newsfeed. This artist is truly one of Belize’s finest, and has re-kindled the love and appreciation for our gem of nation in the hearts of many Belizeans through his GORGEOUS shots. From rainforest to savanas, rivers and seas, wildlife and our beautiful people and culture Mr. Rath truly has an eye for it, led of course, by what can only be passion. If you enjoy seeing his gorgeous images on your newsfeed and in the various magazines of Belize, you can have a collection of your very own when you purchase “Images of Belize” by Tony Rath. It’s 100 breath taking photographs that are captured in true Rath fashion. If you love photography and you love Belize this book is just right for you. Might I add, it truly makes the perfect holiday gift!

Holiday Dangers for your Dogs
During these holidays, please ensure that your pet is safe. According to Saga Humane Society, food poisoning is more likely to occur between Christmas and New Year’s than any other week. Accidental poisoning from items such as alcohol, cold medicines and rodenticides are elevated during the holiday season. So here is some useful information to ensure your pet has a safe holiday: - Don’t allow your pet to eat chocolate or products that contain chocolate. - Turkey bones, if ingested, can splinter or become lodged in the digestive tract. - Food containing grapes, raisins and currants (such as fruit cakes) can result in kidney failure in dogs. - Anything that’s rich, fatty or spicy ca

Winners of the annual Caribbean Christmas Colors Contest illuminate San Pedro
It was another joyful ride for The San Pedro Sun staff and judges as they rode around San Pedro Town on Friday, December 18th, for their 10th Caribbean Christmas Colors Contest. Joining the merry ride and having the great honor to choose their favorite brightly lit homes were esteemed judges Rene Guzman, Cindy Guerrero and Diane Lawrence. Children were delighted to see the golf carts adorned with Christmas decorations driving past their streets, as the mini parade went along judging the festively decorated houses while handing out sweet treats in the spirit of holiday sharing. Although the rain and challenging roads tried to dampen their holiday spirit, the gang still managed to tour through town core, neighboring areas and even ventured over the Boca del Rio Bridge for a short distance. The procession then ventured south, all the way to Escalante and through DFC. Unfortunately some areas were impossible to reach due to street conditions due to the rain.

Caribbean Villas host fundraising luncheon to benefit SHINE
On Saturday December 19th, Caribbean Villas hosted a ladies holiday charity lunch under the theme “Little Black Dress.” Despite the rainy weather conditions, the ladies showed up to support the event which benefitted SHINE Girls Club, an island program established to empower, motivate and build the self-esteem of girls ages 13-16. The event kicked off a bit late, due to rain but nevertheless saw the group of ladies enjoying great conversation over assorted beverages. For the cost of $85BZ, attendees were treated to a complimentary drink, appetizers, meal options including Caribbean seafood bacalao, grilled jerk style chicken, and a cashew pesto salad. Dessert options included decadent chocolate brownies and key lime pie.

‘The Future is Gold’ fashion show raises funds for Boxes of Joy
On Friday, December 18th, Boxes of Joy hosted their third annual Kids Fashion Show benefit at the Angel Nunez Auditorium. The Future is Gold-themed show, organized by Shantelle Pascasio and Francisco Mendez; saw the participation of 52 young models who all delighted the audience as they graced the runway in benefit of the annual Christmas fundraising event. The show began with a short act depicting a child looking to accomplish her dreams. She wanted to be an archeologist and while she was in her search, a model dressed as an archeologist showed her the way to the golden future she was looking for. After the performance, everything rolled smoothly into the seven segments of the night which were as follows: Casual Wear, Carriers, Glitz and Glam, Christmas Night, Formal Wear, Boys to Men, My Closet and the fabulous Divas and Dudes. The cheerful models impressed onlookers as they displayed their modeling talents with great confidence and poise. The different clothes they modeled came from boutiques and stores such as Love Belize, Wings, Man O War, and Top Notch.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Castillo's Hardware Christmas Raffle
Congratulation to the lucky winners of Castillo's Hardware Christmas Raffle that was drawn December 22nd.

NEW YEAR'S EVE! CENTRAL PARK SAN PEDRO! SEE YOU THERE!
The Cut Creator DJ Outkast! CATEGORY 5! SPECTACULAR FIREWORKS AND PARTY FAVORS! YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THIS! FREE EVENT! NO ADMISSION FEE.

Poets Corner: Garvey's Legacy
By Abdulmajeed K Nunez. Garvey’s legacy was that his organizational structure was legendary He had both leadership and organizational quality He influenced organizations globally From religious, political or militarily Everyone tried to duplicate Garvey It’s well known that Elijah Muhmmad studied Ahmadi Farah Muhammad was a Pakistani We learned this from Warith Muhammad’s testimony Nation of Islam was structured from the UNIA started by Garvey Elijah Poole was also Reverend Divine’s understudy So what is the relationship with Ahmadi and Garvey? Since Garvey had a branch in every country The same thing is being done by Ahmadi

BEL Employees Distribute Hampers to 120 Families Countrywide
Employees of Belize Electricity Limited (BEL) are, for the 17th consecutive year, continuing the tradition of distributing hampers to deserving families across the country. The hampers contain the main ingredients for a traditional Christmas dinner; some also include toys for families with children and care packages with toiletries for the elderly. During yesterday and today, BEL employees have been making deliveries of one hundred and twenty (120) hampers valued at approximately $150 each, which were made possible through monetary contributions from employees and the Company.

Ghetto X- Mas
By: Abdulmajeed K Nunez. Wave Radio, Love TV call in I found demeaning, Competing for the best turkey impersonating Minister’s street soldier came around the next morning Ham, a party bag and toy in hand Boy oh boy! The tactic they employ unu understand Is this all our people are worth to these politicians? Poor people borrowing loans for Xmas Flanking courts to get things pan trust Retailer gauging price to trick us Political figures spend monies they have in trust Giving the impression they care about us Even the Vatican has made a confession That they were wrong about this X-mas celebration Using Jesus as the center of attraction It’s even came out that St Nick was a black man What a fantastic theatrics of impersonation

San Pedro House of Culture Holiday hours
Kindly take note of our closing dates for this holiday season (we will also be closed December 24th, 2015 at midday)

Paradise Theater playing this weekend
Sicario, The Intern, The Peanuts Movie, The Martian

Splashers on Thursday
Alrighty have been getting messages about people wanting to paint Thursday so let's see who's in I want to paint the Grinch so whoever wants to paint him can and others can choose a painting they missed. That's my Christmas gift.. everybody gets to paint what they want but they have to let me know by 11a.m today so I can prep their canvas.

WestBay Beach Club on Caye Caulker
Old School Dance Part 1: December 24th.

A snippet of our Corozal 2015 Christmas Parade
Certainly bringing in the Christmas spirit to our town. Proud of our town and all the smiles on our children. May you and your families be blessed with an abundance of joy and health. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. Keep Corozal Safe and Clean during the Christmas Holiday.

JOHN ALEXANDER WATLER : THE BELIZE THAT WAS TO BE OR NOT TO BE!
by Bilal Morris. He wrote the same way he spoke so expressively, and he was the epitome of the Belizean theater of the mind. He was the Belizean grio, and could tell any story from any part of Belize that you can think about. He was John Alexander Watler, who is one of Belize's most acclaimed writers of all times. Belizean Creole folklore, as those told by John Watler, is embedded in the text of classical African experiences brought to the Caribbean and Central America by the narratives of the slave, and passed down through tradition and storytelling by those like George Mckessey, Gertude Stewart, Johnny Kwaku, and many others whom had come to grace Belizean shores as descendants of their African ancestors.

Channel 7

Rice Case Going to Court on Christmas Eve
After 6 days of silence from BAHA, importer Jack Charles has decided that he will take the Government to court. That’s the decision that the Belize City based businessman made today on the advice of his attorneys. As has been widely reported, he’s trying to get his 75 tonnes of Guyanese Rice released from the Big Creek Port in Independence Village. The Government officials have already explained publicly why they aren’t allowing him to freely import Guyanese Rice, but BAHA hasn’t put it down in writing. So, this morning, Charles’ attorney, Leroy Banner, showed up the Supreme Court to file the lawsuit. Shortly after he delivered the documents to the Registrar, he told the awaiting press what they’re asking the court for: Leroy Banner - Attorney for Jack Charles "From last week we were trying to get in touch with BAHA to find out exactly what they reason why they have retained our client's container. We have given them ample time, we wrote them, we called them and no on responded to our request to please put in writing the reason as to why the containers are being held. We realize that it's almost been a week now and we decided that they will not give us anything in writing so we file a motion of judicial review to seek the court's permission as to whether or not; so that they can review and look at what BAHA did to see if they were justified in holding Mr. Charles' containers."

Keyren Tzib, Home For Christmas
After spending 5 months on remand for manslaughter, Coast Guard Officer Keyren Tzib will spend the Christmas holidays at home. For the last two months, she’s been trying to get bail from the Supreme Court, and, finally, today, Justice Troadio Gonzalez granted her application. He set the bail at $10,000 dollars and set strict conditions: she must surrender all her travel documents, she must report to the Ladyville Police Station every Tuesday and Friday until the case is resolved, and she must not contact or interfere with any of the witnesses. She’s accused of fatally stabbing her 30 year-old common-law husband, Thytis Blancaneaux. The court was very reluctant to grant her bail until the state was sure that she was not a danger to herself or to society. Her application was denied back on October 20, and since then, her attorney, Mayor Darrell Bradley, has been trying to convince the court that she deserves bail.

Hon. Finnegan Says The UDP Fears No Stevedore Backlash
All week, the Port of Belize and the new law concerning stevedores has been in the news. The law makes their ship loading and unloading an essential service – meaning they can no longer spontaneously strike; first they have to give 21 days’ notice. Now, as the CWU pointed out in its release on Monday, most of these stevedores are UDP supporters – in fact the union says it’s about 90% of them. So then why the UDP government make a move against the interests of heir own constituents in their base – which is the Southside of Belize City. That’s what we asked Mesopotamia Representative Michael Finnegan today. He’s got plenty stevedores in his division and in an extended and outspoken interview he told us that the law will actually help the stevedores. Now if he sounds like his political calculus doesn’t quite add up – here’s how he explained it: Jules Vasquez: "It has been controversial because some say the government is siding with the big man over the small man." Hon. Michael Finnegan - Mesopotamia Area Representative: "There is nothing controversial about it and the government is not siding with no big man over no small man. My government is here to protect the interest of the small and at the same time to protect the interest of this economy. So anybody weh di talk nonsense about this UDP government the pass the SI in order to protect any big man, big man my hell, this government noh interested in no big man."

Car Wash Man Stabbed To Death
A man was stabbed to death early this morning on Far West Street. The police do not have much details on it but the report is that 45 year old Lindbert Brown was with a female and another male friend around 2:23 this morning. They were hanging out at the end of Far West Street when Brown allegedly attacked the female with a broken pint bottle but his other friend intervened, took the broken bottle away from Brown and stabbed him with it. Brown and the woman were rushed to KHMH where Brown died and the woman was treated and released. Police say they will have more information tomorrow. Residents in the area say Brown was car wash man.

Deondre Acquitted
23 year-old Deondre McKoy was acquitted of attempted murder today before Justice Troadio Gonzalez in a trial without jury. IN the end, the testimony of his accuser was not enough to convince the judge. 23 year-old Alexis Cu told the court that in September of 2012 he was walking on William Street at around 8 p.m. when McKoy rode up and shot him several times in the abdomen, lower back, and left hand. After considering all the evidence, Justice Gonzalez ruled that he was innocent, and acquitted him of attempted murder, dangerous harm, and use of deadly means of harm. He still has another attempted murder case for which trial is pending.

FSTV Puts Down The Screws Independent Operators
For the past two nights we’ve been telling you about the plight of the independent operators inside the Fort Street Tourism Village. They say the foreign management of the FSTV is trying to push them out of the village – and proof of that came today. Despite pretensions to the opposite by the Belize Tourism Board – the operators inside the village have been presented with a lease renewal, which includes a requirement for the 2 million dollar per passenger insurance. Bottom line? If they sign the lease to hold their spot inside the village – they also have to agree to purchase the 2 million dollar per passenger coverage – which comes at a steep price which many of the small operators say they can hardly afford – and especially not right after 7 months of low season. But that’s the hard line being laid down by the village management – while the tourism board keeps up its routine of whistling past the graveyard. We are told the lease has to be signed before Christmas.

GSU Deflects Meighan Blame
On Friday’s newscast, you heard Ellis Meighan talk about a brutal GSU led search of his house. Meighan claimed that the GSU has something personal against him and his family. Today we caught up with the GSU commander Mark Flowers at the Biltmore where we asked him about the incident. Flowers accused us of being desperate for news. Here is what he said. Supt. Mark Flowers - Commander, GSU "It's more like Channel 7 desperation for news. I've spoken to these people but I didn't hear the complaint. What was told to me was that one person said that another person said something." Emanuel Pech "We spoke specifically to Mr. Ellis Meighan." Supt. Mark Flowers - Commander, GSU "Ellis Meighan was saying that his brother said that something happened and he was not there. So I still don't get the point except the sensationalism that is not news. But how we do and discharge our function is consistent with the rule of law and try to keep it as consistent as possible with the rule of law. There is no need for any strong arming or no bullying of anybody, we just want to do what we are charted to do and we want to do it as often as we have to and without; we are not a strong armed unit. We are more committed to doing what we need to do and get it done and get out of there."

GSU Strategy And Southside Approach Can Find Common Ground
The Meighan encounter goes down as one of several other complaints received against GSU this year. The unit’s hard charging style stands in stark contrast to that of the community friendly approach taken by South Side police and their Commander Sr. Superintendent Chester Williams. Since being appointed as the Commander of Eastern South Division earlier this year Williams has embarked on a full fledged campaign of peace making and non aggression – which has been met by a sharp downturn in the city’s murder rate. But is the GSU’s confrontational approach, unspooling the delicate threads of peace woven by the South Side commander and his community policing initiatives? Here’s what Commander Flowers had to say about that. "I regret that you weren't here earlier today when some speeches were made. I think I refer to that and cited that we were very grateful for the intervention of Senior Superintendent Mr. Williams on the Southside and now much easier he has made life for all of us..."

Is There Christmas Cheer This Year?
Is there any Christmas Cheer this year? That’s what some have been wondering since the Petrocaribe fund has just about wound down – and the millions that are left in there has already been committed to other projects – plus, there’s no election on the horizon – so no need to curry favour with the electorate. It’s a cynical but ineluctable conclusion – but according to Michael Finnegan – it’s also a false one – since he says cheer is ongoing in Mesop:… Hon. Michael Finnegan - Mesopotamia Area Representative "So fi tell you that no Christmas cheers, I don't know where Christmas cheers no deh but I the tell you Christmas cheers they inna Mesopotamia and I know Christmas cheers is in Albert division because Albert borders Mesopotamia and the people in both Albert and Mesopotamia are all jumping for joy." Jules Vasquez "I wouldn't quite go that far. I hear the people in Albert the get a lee 75 dollars." Hon. Michael Finnegan - Mesopotamia Area Representative "But what wrong with 75 dollars’ worth of Christmas cheers? Nothing wrong with 75 dollars’ worth of Christmas cheers. That is wonderful Jules that is wonderful Christmas cheers; it's a token, a gift of appreciation. A gift of appreciation to share, share the good season, share the season, share the love with others; that is what Christmas is all about. Christmas cheers da no fi mine yo."

Belize Gets New Cuba Ambassador
Belize has a new Ambassador to Cuba. Annie Burns Martinez will take the over from Efrain Novelo who has been acting as head of mission for a few years. She was accredited in Havana, Cuba at the Palace of the Revolution in Havana where she presented her credentials to Cuban Vice President Gladys Bejerano Portela. According to a government release, they discussed new areas for cooperation in trade, culture, and tourism. Ambassador Burns Martinez also thanked the Cubans for the Medical Brigade and the medical scholarships given to Belize. They also spoke about the current Cuban migrant crisis in Central America and the role of human traffickers. The release says that Both parties await the outcome of a follow-up meeting in Mexico to move closer to a resolution.

Fatal Benque
A traffic collision in Benque Viejo Yesterday could have ended very badly, fortunately everyone escaped from the wreckage with minor injuries. Around 4:15 yesterday afternoon, 25 year old Ri Fu Feng of Santa Elena Town was driving a white Isuzu cargo truck between miles 71 and 72 on the George Price Highway towards Benque Viejo Town. That’s when Florencio Perez, driving a yellow and black blue bird bus in the opposite direction, lost control of the bus and collided head on into the left portion of the cargo truck. 25 year old Feng sustained minor cut wounds above his right eye. The bus had extensive damage to its front portion. The driver Florencio Perez became trapped between the steering wheel and his seat but authorities managed to free him in time. As a result however, Perez sustained abrasions to his face, fractured his right hand and legs and complained of pain to the abdomen. He was rushed to the San Ignacio Hospital where he remains in a stable condition. Authorities have not been able to determine what caused Perez to lose control of the passenger bus in the first place

Donald Trump's Daughter In Belize
Ivanka Trump, the Daughter of US Republican presidential Candidate Donald Trump, is in Belize. So what is she doing here when her father is leading a vigorous campaign in the US? On Tuesday the 35 year old soon-to-be mother updated her Instagram followers about her tropical get away sharing that she and her husband Jared Kushnar, quote, “Snuck away together to enjoy a few days of R&R.” She added that she was staying at Cayo Espanto, located about three miles off the coast of Ambergris Caye. In one picture Trump posed on a porch with an enticing Belize beach scenery in the background. Her recent activities were picked up by an American tabloid “celebritybabies.people” who published an article describing the getaway as a, quote, “Enviable Tropical Babymoon.” News of Trump’s visit to Belize came just one day after the Belize Tourism Board pulled a successful publicity stunt by inviting Steve Harvey to host next year’s Costa Maya Pageant in San Pedro. This, after his international mega-blunder at the Miss Universe pageant.

FCCA, The Party For The South
In most cases, we hear about Christmas parties hosted for the City kids. Well, yesterday it was all about the young ones in the south. A Christmas party was held at the Independence High School Auditorium and 20 kids from 10 different schools in Stann Creek were invited. After the fun activities, the kids told us this was more than just a party for them. Packed goody bags; a clown with magic powers, prizes and gifts. These were the highlights of the Christmas party in Stann Creek today. Over 200 children attended. But while this line up is standard for any kid’s party, it’s a totally new experience for these young ones. Janay Wade - St. Alphonsus R.C School: "It’s the first time we came to something." And that’s one of the reasons why the Belize Tourism Board decided to bring Christmas to them. Courtney Weatherburne: "I know you all usually, or we always report or hear about parties in the city. It's refreshing to know that you guys came down south. Tell us the idea about choosing the south and the kids here."

Regional Wingle
More Wingles for the police: today the Eastern Rural Division got a 2016 Great Wall Wingle for highway patrol. A short handing over ceremony was held at the Matalon building where the keys to the new ride were given to Senior Superintendent Edward Broaster. Broaster told us how this vehicle will be used to significantly reduce drug and firearm offenses. Amanda Arguelles - PR, National Aggregates Limited "We at National Aggregates saw a need for the police being back and forth between the highway for transportation. So we approached Senior Superintendent Broaster and asked him if there is anyway the company was able to help them with anything that they may need and he said transportation was the major problem there, they needed additional. With that in mind we decided nothing was more fitting that to help them in that department. So we decided to donate a new police truck." Sr. Supt. Edward Broaster - OC, Eastern Division Rural "Well first of all today is our day for receiving and we want to thank Belize National Aggregate for their kind gesture of donating this truck. This truck is going to be utilized for highway patrol from mile 8 to mile 21 on the George Price Highway. And I'm sure that it's going to do a lot of prevention especially in the smuggling of firearms and drugs into and out of the Belize district."

Cops Get Props For Cash Giveaway
Last night we told you about Senior Superintendent Edward Broaster’s crafty cash scheme. 20 commuters were given $100 dollars each for their Christmas treat and it was all about giving back to the community. While a few of the commuters were anxious and even agitated when the police took them off the bus – Broaster and his team have been getting great reviews on this operation and people are already asking when he plans on giving out more money. Today, Broaster told us more about the public’s feedback and also about the other programs that they will be rolling out next year.

New Cops For Rural Areas
In addition to those community programs, the Rural Eastern Division has 15 new police officers to help with patrols especially in Sandhill. Broaster told us how these new officers will enhance police operations and community outreach The new policing programs will start mid 2016.

GSU, Out For Lunch
At midday today, personnel from the Gang Suppression Unit put down their heavy guns and picked up another type of implement - knives and forks. About two thirds of the GSU unit were treated to a buffet style lunch at the Biltmore Plaza this afternoon as a show of appreciation. Commander of the GSU Superintendent Mark Flowers was joined at the head table by Commanders of the Eastern South and Eastern North Division. He spoke to us about the importance of having his men take time off from the daily grind to unwind at an event like this. Flowers says that he hopes to have another event like this.

Prices Down
The Statistical Institute of Belize has released its latest figures and they show prices trending down in November, led mainly by the falling price of fuel. The costs per gallon of premium and regular gasoline were down by 25 percent and 27 percent, respectively, while diesel declined by 24 percent in comparison to November 2014. And along that line, International airfares were 37 percent lower than during the same month last year – which has to do with the falling price of oil and an increase in the number of carriers and flights to and from Belize. LPG or Butane declined by almost 30 percent, as the average price of a 100-pound cylinder fell to $84 in November 2015 from $117 in the same month last year. Food prices were also down from last year. Despite higher prices for beef, pork, eggs, the price went down for red kidney beans, cooking oil, shortening and fresh vegetables,.

Channel 5

Jack Charles Takes Rice Dispute to Court!
The ongoing logjam between the Belize Agricultural Health Authority, BAHA, and businessman Jack Charles, proprietor of R.C. Imports, over the importation of Guyanese rice will be settled in court.  With [...]

Will Containers of Guyanese Rice be Released by BAHA for Christmas Season?
If granted, a judicial remedy in the form of an order from the superior court will succeed.  While Attorney Banner is optimistic that the matter will be heard in the [...]

Still No Charges in San Ignacio Police Station Rape Case
Three days after an outrageous allegation by a twenty-five year old woman that she was raped by a Police Constable while detained at the San Ignacio Police Station, an investigation [...]

Embattled Coast Guard Officer Keyren Tzib is Out on Bail
Keyren Tzib will be home for the holidays. After walking up and down the steps of the Supreme Court many times, the court today granted the coastguard officer bail. She [...]

A Belize City Man is Stabbed to Death on Amara Avenue
Forty-five-year-old Lindbert Brown lost his life this morning, following a predawn assault during which he was stabbed multiple times inside a residence on Amara Avenue in Belize City.  It is [...]

A New Ambassador to Cuba is Appointed
Belize has appointed a new Ambassador to Cuba. Annie Burns Martinez, presented credentials to the government ofCubaat the Palacio de la Revolucion inHavanaaccrediting her as ambassador toCuba.  Vice President and [...]

Cuban Migrants in Limbo at Costa Rica to Spend Holidays in Detention
And in an update to the crisis of the Cuban migrants stranded in Costa Rica, they will be spending the holidays in that country. That is because negotiators have failed [...]

More Details on RTA in Cayo District
On Tuesday night we reported on two separate traffic accidents involving buses and fortunately there were no fatalities.  Tonight we have more details on the accident that happened between miles [...]

An Orange Walk Cashier is Arraigned for Hit and Run Incident
There is an arrest in a hit and run accident that occurred up north over the weekend. Cashier Madelyn Gongora, a resident of Orange Walk has been charged for ‘driving [...]

Police Meet and Greet Residents of Lake-I
A team of uniformed police officers, led by Senior Superintendent Chester Williams descended, on Mahogany Street in Belize City this afternoon where the men and women of law enforcement met [...]

A Great Wall for Ladyville Police
The Rural Eastern Division of the Belize Police Department today received a very generous and much needed donation from a corporate entity within their jurisdiction, National Aggregates Limited. Like with [...]

New Vehicle to Assist in Covering Expansive Rural Jurisdiction
The Rural Eastern Division covers about twenty-two thousand square miles and thirty-two communities. So it’s a given this truck is going to be a workhorse for the department which has [...]

Christmas Cheer from Ladyville Police
On Tuesday night we aired a story about the Rural Eastern Division giving back to the community, in cash. It was an unprecedented operation that has certainly received very positive [...]

Transparent Gives Generously to Salvation Army Cause
The Salvation Army is the recipient of a generous donation from Transparent BPO today.  The customer service company handed over a check for five thousand dollars to Regional Commander Major [...]

A Christmas Parade in Ladyville
If you’re from the Ladyville community and are watching this story, then it’s likely you’re missing out on the first every Christmas Parade organized by the victory Assembly of God [...]

What’s Ivanka Trump Doing in Belize?
In the United States, Donald Trump is the front runner for the Republican Party in the U.S. elections. But inBelize, it is his daughter making the news. Ivanka Trump and [...]

LOVE FM

Transparent BPO Gifts Salvation Army with 5K
The Christmas season has always proven to be a time of giving and sharing and 2015 has proven no different. The Salvation Army was given a cheque of five thousand dollars from the company, Transparent BPO. The handing over took place this morning at the headquarters of Transparent BPO on Coney Drive in Belize City […]

Aggregates Business Gives Vehicle to Rural Police
A brand new pickup truck was handed over to the Ladyville Police Station this morning in front of the Matalon Building on Coney Drive in Belize City. On hand to receive the vehicle for the police was Senior Superintendent Edward Broaster who spoke to the media on how the vehicle will be used as well […]

Jack Charles’ Attorney Files for Judicial Review on Guyanese Rice
The legal battle over Guyanese rice has begun. Today Leeroy Banner who is representing Importer Jack Charles, filed an application in the court to have the rice released. Hipolito Novelo reports. HIPOLITO NOVELO REPORTING “In another major development in the Guyanese rice saga, Attorney Leeroy Banner filed an application requesting for judicial review in order […]

Belize’s Ambassador to Cuba Installed
Belize’s Ambassador to Cuba, Her Excellency Annie Burns Martinez has presented her credentials to Vice President and Comptroller General of the Republic of Cuba, Her Excellency Gladys Bejerano Portela and First Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, His Excellency Marcelino Medina González. Both parties reportedly discussed new areas for cooperation in trade, culture, and tourism. Ambassador […]

Stabbing Inside Prison Walls Turns Deadly
Thirty two year old Sherlock Myvette was stabbed several times today at the Belize Central Prison. He is at the Karl Huesner Memorial Hospital under police guard while receiving treatment. Myvette who is on remand for the 2009 murder of Belmopan taxi-driver, James Young was stabbed after he was involved in an altercation with twenty […]

James Stalling Claims Seneca Plane
About two weeks ago we brought you an interview with Brigadier General David Jones of the Belize Defense Force where we were told that the plane that landed mysteriously at Belize City’s Municipal Airstrip in October 2015 has been claimed. At the time of that interview, a letter of ownership had been sent to the […]

Early Morning Stabbing Proves Fatal
Sometime around 2:30 this morning, forty five year old Lindbert Brown of Amara Avenue in Belize City was fatally stabbed. It happened in an area the neighborhood calls far west street during an altercation. According to reports, Brown had gone to visit a female friend when he and his attacker met. A relative of Brown […]

Coast Guard Tzib Gets Conditional Bail
Twenty-four year old Coast Guard officer Keyren Tzib, remanded on a charge of manslaughter, was granted bail of ten thousand dollars and two sureties of the same amount by Justice John Gonzalez. Her attorney, Darrell Bradley, told Love News that the bail application was successful because during the previous court session Justice Gonzalez had ordered […]

November Figures In from SIB
Before the year is up, the Statistical Institute of Belize issued its latest release and this one has to do with the month of November in regards to consumer price index, CPI and trade. According to the SIB, the prices of goods and services purchased by Belizean households were, on average, one point two percent […]

Belizean Poet/Storyteller Passes
Well known Belizean author, storyteller, and poet John Alexander Watler died this morning. Watler was born in 1938 in Monkey River Village in the Toledo District but was residing in Maryland Baltimore. Walter was in the writing business for over four decades of his life. In this timeframe Watler was one of the first writers […]

#510153 - 12/24/15 11:30 AM Re: Today's Belize News: December 24, 2015 [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

The Guardian

Another police intake passes out
There are now just over 2,067 police officers who are currently serving the country at this moment. That was after recruit Intake number 92 passed out at the Belmopan Police Training Academy on Friday, December 18. 167 new recruits made it to the end of training after 172 showed up on the first day. Among the top performers included Recruit Henry Lopez, who received the Baton of Honor, for being the most consistent of the recruits in all the different assessments over the past 6 months. Diyan Barrera, received the highest marks and obtained First place, while Cynthia Turner received first place in human rights. Christian Cawich was first place in physical training. Female recruit Eleanor Ayala got first place in the marksmanship assessments. The commandant’s prize went to Allan Domingo.

Looking for a quarrel
Audrey is quarrelling again. It seems like this lady is just itching for a fight. The way this lady acts it reminds us of the old phrase “hell hath no fury like a woman scorned”. We don’t know why she has this hate for the government. It is as if though somebody in this administration did something to her. We don’t know if it was an act of commission or omissions that she is angry about. It seems as if though she just wants to make an issue out every single matter facing the government. This time it is over the fact that the government saw it fit to protect its citizens from abuse by declaring port services as an essential service. That move by government became necessary after all activities at the port were closed down when the waterfront workers went on a Wildcat strike 4 days causing no goods to be moved in or out the port . For a country like Belize that uses the ports to get the products out of this country in order to reach the buyers of these products abroad in a timely manner it was excessively disruptive.

Hon. Elodio Aragon’s Christmas and New Year’s Message
It is the advent of Christmas once again, and as we prepare to celebrate we must be reminded that what we truly celebrate is the birth of our savior Jesus Christ. Christmas is a time not only to make merry but to reflect and be thankful for all we have. To look at our fellow man and to impart that which satisfies more than the greatest riches in the world – LOVE. I therefor say to All Belizeans and especially to my people of Orange Walk East who have placed their confidence and trust in me to serve them, let us make the Love flow this Christmas, let us be respectful and kind to one another just as Jesus was. For it is only by caring and loving one another that we will achieve that much sought after peace that we all long for.

BDF Officer Called to the Bar
A group of proud relatives, Belize Defense Force soldiers, friends across the country and admirers throughout the reach of social media shared a collective smile after Liutenant Lionel Olivera was called to the Bar Association of Belize on Tuesday, December 22, 2015. Lt. Olivera is the first active soldier of the Belize Defense Force to be called to the Bar. He was driven to study law after a comrade was charged and prosecuted for manslaughter in a matter he believes the force should have been in a better position to provide legal assistance. This motivated the Jesuit educated soldier to apply for enrollment in the law program at the University of the West Indies. Olivera graduated from UWI, Bridgetown Barbados in 2012 and was later accepted into the prestigious Norman Manley Law School in Kingston, Jamaica. Throughout his legal studies he was a unifying force among the Belizean student population, admired by observers and loved by friends. “Juniah”, as he is affectionately called, worked diligently to be successful in his studies. He and the other Belizeans in his program made a pact that they would all make it to the finish line. That group is well on its way and Olivera’s Call is one that is celebrated by the entire brotherhood.

Benque Cadets hold their annual Christmas Party
The Benque Viejo Belize Police Youth Cadet Corp held their annual cadet party on Saturday of this past weekend. A total of 48 cadets attended this special event in Benque. All work and no play would leave the cadets dull, so a party is held for them at the end of each year. This year was very special for the cadets in Benque, since they were able to share their happiness with 12 underprivileged kids from the neighborhood, who were given food, drinks, party bags and gifts. They also participated in several games. The Benque Cadets would like to thank the Benque Viejo Community Policing Unit Corporal Joshua Mckoy, WPC Cheryl Lanza, PC Marco Ayala, Benque Police Department and civilians, who assisted throughout the year. They would also like for you to stay safe for the holidays and not to drink and drive.

Orange Walk East’s Christmas Cheer
This is only the third time that the people of Orange Walk East are truly feeling the love by way of Christmas Cheer. For years they had a representative that did not give a damn about them. Although government had been disbursing money to that area representative, the needs of the people of Orange Walk East were disregarded and ignored. Elodio Aragon Jr, like his father before him, then stepped up to the plate and filled the void left by the PUP Area Representative. From the moment he announced his candidacy for the area he has been a tireless proponent for the advancement of his people in the East where he was born and grown. His love for his constituents is genuine and their needs are taken into consideration and given attention. For the past three years he has spread the limited resources with the people of Louisiana and the five villages which comprise Orange Walk East. On Sunday December 20 he visited Santa Martha and after a brief ceremony to inaugurate their community center distributed toys to the kids and food hampers to the adults. There were also raffles where people won assorted articles such as stoves, irons, pots and even mattresses. This activity was repeated for Tower Hill, Carmelita, San Jose Nuevo Palmar and Chan Pine Ridge villages.

The PUP’s - Let’s make a deal!
When we found out 2 Fridays ago that once again that Francis Fonseca was again instructed by the PUP old guard to run for the vacant PARTY LEADERSHIP position , the first thing that came to mind was déjà vu all over again . We found the following story from the Channel 7 News Archives “ “Francis Will Lead The PUP”, that was posted on October 20, 2011. This story almost mirrors the one from 2 Fridays ago, the only difference is that 2 of the persons: Julius and Mike Espat who would have been his competitors back then are now his handlers and Arthur is not in the frame anymore. Johnny Briceno who stepped down as leader in October 2011 citing that he was too ill to continue, is now trying to make a comeback and is being supported by seven of the eight Northern constituencies, which nominated him. Since Jose Mai is supporting Johnny, we figure it is hand wash hand that Johnny would likewise support Mai in his bid for Deputy Leader in a crowded field of 6 aspirants. And likewise he and Mai would support Anthony Mahler in his bid to become National Communication Director, being that Mahler works for Johnny. This time it looks like there is no backing down.

New Community Center for Santa Martha
Santa Martha village is a small village of about 250 families located on the Old Northern Highway about fifteen miles in from Carmelita Village on the Phillip Goldson Highway. It was formed in the early 1900’s predominantly by immigrants. The residents are mostly cane farmers but there are also those who grow other crops such as vegetables. It has the necessary utilities such as electricity and potable water. They also have a primary school, church and community grounds. What they lacked however was a community center. For years they had been without such a center and had been clamoring for one until they got a representative who cares and listened to their plight. On Sunday December 20, Honorable Elodio Aragon Jr. Minister of State in the Ministry of Education, Youth, Sports and Culture and Area Representative of Orange Walk East, (in whose constituency Santa Martha falls) officially inaugurated a spanking new community center for the residents of Santa Martha Village.

Shyning in Mesopotamia
Area representative to be, Shyne Barrow, has been very active spreading the Christmas cheer with his uncle, the Hon. Michael Finnegan, in the division. The two have been giving out turkeys, hams, and toys over the past week for the people of Mesopotamia. That spirit of gift giving and merry making will continue up to Christmas Eve. When the Guardian asked Shyne about his commitment to the Christmas Season, his reply was curt but simple: “we are trying to get to everyone in the division, we do not want to leave anyone out.” Shyne has been in the Mesopotamia offices everyday along with Minister Finnegan distributing the turkeys, hams and toys and they have also been able to also give gifts to 1,000 deserving children in the division. The relationship of gift-giving that the two are now sharing is nothing new. As a matter of fact, Shyne has always been very close to his uncle Michael Finnegan.

Supreme Court dismisses union busting claims of former BSI employee
Justice Michelle Arana ruled in favour of the Belize Sugar Industry Limited on Thursday, December 17, in a labour dispute brought forward by Julio Ramon Gongora Jr. Gongora was terminated from Belize Sugar Industry Limited after 31 years of service as an Electrical & Instrumental Technician in March of 2012. Gongora claims that he was terminated by BSI because of his efforts in the union during disagreements with the factory. He took his claim of “union busting” to court in hope that he be reinstated to his post or compensated for wrongful dismissal. The company’s position is that Gongora was dismissed for breaking the company’s substance abuse policy. Justice Arana said the questions relevant to the case were: “Was Mr. Gongora intoxicated at the time he entered the BSI compound on March 2, 2012? And if so, did he breach BSI's policy on substance abuse? Did that breach entitle BSI to terminate Gongora’s employment summarily under the Labour Act? Is Mr Gongora entitled to relief (reinstatement or damages)?”

Greg Lovell captures Pre-Christmas Cycling Race
The Cycling Federation of Belize in collaboration with the Belize City Council and Leslies’ Imports sponsored the Annual Pre-Christmas Cycling Race on Sunday 20 December, 2015. In the Elite and Masters category, the riders started the event from in front of the Police Station in San Ignacio Town to Leslie’s Imports at Mile 1 ½ on the George Price Highway for the conclusion. The 72 miles event was captured by Greg Lovell of Digicell 4G. He was followed by team-mates Richard Santiago in the second place position, Leroy Cassasola in the third position and Giovanni Lovell in the forth position. The fifth position went to Brandon Morgan of Westrac Alliance Cycling Club.

Elite Basketball Competition to commence on 16 January, 2016
The National Elite Basketball League (NEBL) will commence its third, annual basketball competition on Saturday, January 16, 2016. The opening game will feature the newly added franchise the Independence Thunderbolt verses the back-to-back defending champions, San Pedro Tiger Sharks out in San Pedro. The season tipped off on Saturday 19 December, 2015, with a Marathon at the University of Belize Gymnasium in Belmopan. The marathon saw the participation of five teams which included the San Pedro Tiger sharks, Belmopan Red Tiggaz, Western Ballaz, Independence Thunderbolt and the Dangriga Warriors.

Police United FC a game away from the National Football Title
The Premier League of Belize Championship round started on Sunday 20 December, 2015, with game one played at the Norman Broaster Stadium in San Ignacio Town between the national defending champions Verdes FC and the Police United FC. In game one, the visiting Police United FC blanked the national defending champions and the host team Verdes FC by the score of 1-0. The first half of the game ended 0-0 as both teams failed to get unto the scoreboard. It was not until the second half of the game that the visiting Police United FC was able to get unto the scoreboard when Orlando Jimenez scored his team’s winning goal in the 50th minute of play to give his team the victory.

Blue Christmas
When I look back on this year I think about my PUP friends, wondering what the next year is going to be like for the grand old party. You see this was maybe one of the worst years for them. Having lost 4 elections during a 10 month span for 6th January to 4th November. As a part of the carnage they also lost their Captain, who had jumped overboard. Since then though it seems that he was about to drown and was rescued and wants to become the Captain again. With a leadership battle coming up at the end of January and knowing the blood trail that's usually left from these PUP insider battles, those wounds will be fresh and remain open for quite a long time. And with Village Council Elections due to start in March one does not expect for PUP to do very well in those elections. Already conventional wisdom is on the side of the UDP being that it is a new government and voters would prefer to support slates that are friendly with the government in power. Plus PUP may not be able to fill slates in many instances because people may want to stay as far away from the dying PUP also.

Caribbean Climate Change Centre at Historic Paris Conference
The Executive Director, Dr. Kenrick Leslie led a team of delegates from the Caribbean Community Climate Change Centre (5Cs) to the 21st Conference of the Parties (COP 21) of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) held in Paris, France from 30 November to 11 December 2015. Although the delegates were unable to conclude an agreement by the time the meeting was scheduled to end on Friday, the French Presidency of the COP persisted, sent the talks into overtime and by late Saturday night had crafted an agreement that all Parties were able to adopt unanimously. The Paris Agreement commits all counties to limit global warming to as far below 2 degrees Celsius as possible striving to stave it off at 1.5 degrees. This will require all countries to undertake ambitious efforts to limit their emissions of greenhouse gases which are produced primarily by the use of fossil fuels and deforestation. The Agreement also acknowledges that counties are already experiencing the adverse impacts of climate change, that those impacts will continue to increase and that urgent action is required to undertake measures to enable communities to adapt to extreme and slow onset events precipitated by climate change.

Achievements and Challenges of Community Policing in Benque Viejo
The Community Policing Unit, CPU in Benque Viejo del Carmen is very vibrant with all its member officers working at the centrally located station; however they are facing a few challenges. This unit is hopeful that 2016 will bring positive impacts to Benque Police and community relations. The ‘Du The Rait Ting’ Program is working, but at this time only the Mopan High School is submitting candidates; although they are frequently late with them. Renewed efforts by the CPU will be made to get more schools to participate and to do so in a timely manner. The People’s Coalition Committee PCC is dormant at this time in Benque. Several efforts have been made to reignite the PCC, but at the same time not making it political as it formerly was. At this time the best candidate for the chairperson for the PCC is Mr. Alfredo Kuylen.

Games they play
Older readers will recall former boxer who was called XYZ he was a bit eccentric and used to walk around always in a sparing motion as if though he were still in a boxing match . This gentleman used to talk about when he used to go across the northern border to fight and he was made to fight a new opponent every round. According to him the Mexicans dimmed the lights and in the confusion switch boxers on him. It was known that the gentleman was not playing with a full deck of cards but he was not the only boxer or athlete to make such a claim. Footballers and Cyclist used to also make that claim also. And no this article is not about sports or folktales . It is drawing a contrast of what could happen during the PUP Convention . There are people who have a vested interest in the conversation because the are either a contestant for a position or they are affiliated with a candidate or a specific camp and we all know how self interest takes precedence over democracy and fair play in the PUP . So how can those 67,000 strong Belizeans PUP claims they represent, have any trust that the upcoming convention will be conducted fairly if either Myrtle or Henry-Charles is in charge of the administration of the electoral process at the conversation.

Shyning in Mesopotamia
Area representative to be, Shyne Barrow, has been very active spreading the Christmas cheer with his uncle, the Hon. Michael Finnegan, in the division. The two have been giving out turkeys, hams, and toys over the past week for the people of Mesopotamia. That spirit of gift giving and merry making will continue up to Christmas Eve. When the Guardian asked Shyne about his commitment to the Christmas Season, his reply was curt but simple: “we are trying to get to everyone in the division, we do not want to leave anyone out.” Shyne has been in the Mesopotamia offices everyday along with Minister Finnegan distributing the turkeys, hams and toys and they have also been able to also give gifts to 1,000 deserving children in the division. The relationship of gift-giving that the two are now sharing is nothing new. As a matter of fact, Shyne has always been very close to his uncle Michael Finnegan. Since he was a child he grew up under the care of Minister Finnegan. He had adopted the kind and caring nature of the Area Representative and is now in the process of showing that he too has the qualities of his uncle.

Supreme Court dismisses union busting claims of former BSI employee
Justice Michelle Arana ruled in favour of the Belize Sugar Industry Limited on Thursday, December 17, in a labour dispute brought forward by Julio Ramon Gongora Jr. Gongora was terminated from Belize Sugar Industry Limited after 31 years of service as an Electrical & Instrumental Technician in March of 2012. Gongora claims that he was terminated by BSI because of his efforts in the union during disagreements with the factory. He took his claim of “union busting” to court in hope that he be reinstated to his post or compensated for wrongful dismissal. The company’s position is that Gongora was dismissed for breaking the company’s substance abuse policy. Justice Arana said the questions relevant to the case were: “Was Mr. Gongora intoxicated at the time he entered the BSI compound on March 2, 2012? And if so, did he breach BSI's policy on substance abuse? Did that breach entitle BSI to terminate Gongora’s employment summarily under the Labour Act? Is Mr Gongora entitled to relief (reinstatement or damages)?”

Dalton Longsworth, accused of sexual relations with 12 year old girl
Dalton Longsworth, 32, is at the Belize Central Prison on remand after a 12-year-old girl claims that he engaged in sexual activities with her on November 11, 2015. Longsworth, a Belize City shuttle assistant from Victoria Street, appeared unrepresented before Senior Magistrate Sharon Fraser on Monday, December 21, to answer to a single charge of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor under the age of 14. The girl is 12 years and 8 months old. No plea was taken from Longsworth due to the nature of the offense and bail could not be granted. He was remanded to the Belize Central Prison until February 29, 2016.

No Guayanese rice to be imported... for now
The Belize Agriculture and Health Authority (BAHA) has seized 3 containers of Guyanese Rice belonging to Importer Jack Charles (Vinod Chawla), and his Belize City business outfit Xtra House. Those 75 tonnes of rice, which Charles says is Premium Grade “A”, are sitting on the compound of the Port of Big Creek just a few miles east of Independence Village (Mango Creek). That rice arrived on Friday, December 18, in the early hours from the port in Santo Tomas, Guatemala. It landed by barge at one of the berths at the Big Creek Port, and it was offloaded unto the compound. Physically, the rice is in Belize, but until the Government Agency the Belize Agricultural Health Authority (BAHA) and the Customs Department clears it, the port’s management and staff cannot release it to Charles. He needs permits to import the rice, and he claims that he applied for all the necessary documentation from all the Government agencies involved in importation of goods and services into the country. As has been widely publicized, BAHA has refused to grant him that permit, and no reason has been given in writing to Charles as to why there is such a refusal. He showed up in Independence Village on Friday, December 18, in the afternoon, where the Senior Quarantine Inspector from BAHA refused to allow him the permit from BAHA to clear the containers. That officer informed Charles and the General public, via the media houses who went down, that the rice cargo was being seized. As you would expect, Charles is not the least bit pleased by this decision, and he is pressing BAHA to give him the written grounds on which they have chosen to detain his shipment of rice.

Death row inmate Glenford Baptist has sentence changed
Glenford Baptist, the last man on deathrow in Belize, was sentenced to 25 years imprisonment by Chief Justice Kenneth Benjamin on Monday, December 21, for the murder of Azrin White on July 24, 2000. Baptist was found guilty of murder by a jury of 12 in November of 2001 and sentenced to death by then Supreme Court Justice Wilfred Elrington. In July of 2015, his attorney Priscilla Banner challenged the sentence. Banner submitted that it was a breach of Baptist’s constitutional rights to be on death row for over 13 years. She said that the long period on death row breached his right not to be subjected to inhumane treatment or punishment. She also submitted that Baptist should not have been subject of an automatic sentence to death because that too is a breach of his constitutional rights. Baptist was charged with Gilroy Wade Jr. and Oscar Mendez for the murder of Azrin White. The jury found them guilty acting in a joint enterprise to kill Azrin White on the night of July 24, 2000. Justice Elrington sentenced them to death by hanging. In June of 2002, the Court of Appeals overturned Mendez’s conviction because of faulty identification in the investigation. He was released and died a few years later. Wade was killed in prison in November of 2007. Baptist is the last man standing of the three and the longest serving death row inmate.

Waterfront workers now Under Essential Services Act
The stevedores at the Port of Belize Limited laid a significant blow on the business community this Christmas season when they launched an abrupt and unannounced strike outside the compound of the Port of Belize on Monday, December 7. This strike was the stevedores’ response to a claim that management of the Port of Belize had changed its position on a promise made in the negotiation process. Arturo Vasquez, Chief Executive Officer of the Port of Belize Limited, disputed the claim made by the stevedores and their union, Christian Workers Union, but while the two entities quarrelled the business community suffered. In order to ensure that the entire business community will no longer be a casualty of differing positions in the Port of Belize Limited’s Collective Bargaining Agreement process, the Ministry of Labour passed a Statutory Instrument that establishes stevedores and other waterfront workers as essential services employees. According to a release from the Ministry of Labour, a Statutory Instrument has been signed amending the Essential Services Act to add one more field of work on the list, “Port Services involving the loading or unloading of ship’s cargo”. Now that port services will fall within the provisions of the Essential Services Act, the union or management is required to give 21 days notice before any industrial action can be taken.

Traffic accident before Christmas
The family 37 year-old Ladyville Resident Robert Simplis, is preparing to bury when they would have ordinarily have been preparing for the Christmas holidays. That’s because he was knocked down and killed on Saturday, December 19. According to Ladyville police, it happened during a downpour sometime after 10 p.m. Simplis was trying to cross the Northern Highway between Miles 8 and 9, near the Blue House Bar area. That’s the time when 28 year-old Reginald James Gill was driving past in his red Mazda Tribute. Simplis was hit by the vehicle, and the force of the impact threw him a short distance away. He suffered massive head and body injuries, and he died on the spot. Police have since investigated the incident, and they have charged Reginald Gill with manslaughter, causing death by careless conduct, driving without due care and attention, and failure to provide a specimen to police.

Good and bad news for Tevin Abraham and Jarrett Usher
In August of 2010, Tevin Abraham, Jamaal Tablada and Jarreth Usher were arrested by police and charged with going equipped to kidnap, keeping prohibited firearm and keeping prohibited ammunition. On Friday, December 18, 2015 the charge of going equipped was thrown out against the men. Justice Adolph Lucas directed the nine member jury to acquit the trio of the offense of being in preparation for a crime. Abraham and Usher; however, must answer to the charges of keeping prohibited firearm and ammunition. Tablada was told he was free to go. Police intercepted the taxi man Floyd Davis in Ladyville on August 2, 2010 and found Tablada, Usher and Abraham inside. The men were busted with a glock .40 mm pistol, 27 rounds of 7.62 mm ammunition, a Taurus .40 mm pistol, 42 rounds of .40 mm ammunition, a black cap, a black mask, 3 black BDF battle dress uniforms, 1 roll of duct tape, a black rag, a blue and black E-Trex GPS, a black SL underwater flashlight, 11 cable ties, 1 compass and eight transparent gloves. Police say they later found an HK-91 rifle.

Sherlock Herrera Charged for Drug Trafficking
A construction worker of Belize City, Sherlock Herrera, 30, is out on bail of $3,500 after he was allegedly busted with 108 grams of cannabis on Wednesday, December 16. According to the Gang Suppression Unit, officers visited and searched Herrera’s home at #2426 Saint Jude’s Street, behind the Civic Center, and busted him with the cannabis. Herrera was arrested and charged with drug trafficking. Herrera was unrepresented when he appeared in court before Magistrate Deborah Rogers on Thursday, December 17. He was read a single charge of possession of a controlled drug with intent to supply to another person or persons for the purpose of drug trafficking. Herrera pleaded not guilty to the charge and since there was no objection, Magistrate Rogers granted him bail in the sum of $3,500 plus two sureties of $1,750 each. Herrera was able to post bail and is due back in court on February 16, 2016. He has no previous charge for drug related offenses.

Woman raped Inside San Ignacio Police Station
San Ignacio Police have arrested one of their own officers after a 25-year-old woman of Bullet Tree Village reported that she was raped whilst in police custody. The woman reported that while she was detained at the San Ignacio Police Station on Sunday, December 20, a male police officer took her out of her cell at about 5:30 a.m. He took her into a dark room and had sexual intercourse with her against her will. Police have since detained the police officer pending investigation. There is both an internal and criminal investigation taking place simultaneously. While it is required by law that accusations be proved without the shadow of doubt for convictions, this is not the case for police’s internal investigation. If there is enough circumstantial evidence to suggest guilt, that is enough for disciplinary action to be taken against officers of the Belize Police Department. No name or photo has been released of the police officer at print time. The victim’s name will be withheld for protection from public scrutiny.

The Reporter

Belize gets ambassador to Cuba
The Government of Belize, in furthering its relationship with Cuba, has announced its new Ambassador to Cuba. Ambassador Annie Burns Martinez presented her credentials to Vice President and Comptroller General of the Republic of Cuba, H.E. Mrs. Gladys Bejerano Portela and First Deputy Minister of […]

Costa Rica walks out of SICA meetings
The Government of Costa Rica has withdrawn from the Central American Integration System (SICA for its acronym in Spanish) meetings and refuses to return, unless members agree to discuss the Cuba immigration crisis in solidarity. Costa Rica’s President Luis Guillermo Solis and Foreign Minister, Manuel […]

Caribbean and Latin American women face serious workplace inequalities, says UNDP
A recent United Nations (UN) report reveals that many women still face staggering inequalities in the workplace and it is slowing down progress in the Caribbean. The UN is concerned that work opportunities are spreading unequally in Latin America and the Caribbean. The UN’s 2015 […]

CRFM looks at establishing value chain for fisheries
The Caribbean Regional Fisheries Mechanism (CRFM) is preparing to hold a regional workshop on establishing a value chain for fisheries products to address regional food security. Regional experts met this month to begin the preparatory work for the workshop, which will be held in 2016. […]

Belize Assembly for Persons with Disabilities elects new officers
The Belize Assembly for Persons with Diverse Abilities (BAPDA), this week, elected new officials to steer the organization for the next two years. The organization’s new team consists of Roxanne Marin as president, Rasha Dawson as vice president, Noreen Martinez as treasurer, Kent Young as […]

Accused home invader attempts suicide in police lockdown
Lane Grinage, 25, one of the 19 persons charged in connection with the December 3rd home invasion of Lebanon’s Consul General, Sarkis Abou Nehra, remains hospitalized after he attempted suicide while in police custody over the weekend. Police say what prevented Grinage from succeeding […]

Guyanese rice does not represent fair trade; will remain in storage for Christmas, says GOB official
Three container loads of imported ‘Grade A’ rice from Guyana will remain locked up in storage at the Big Creek port in Stann Creek for Christmas, despite earnest efforts by the importer, businessman Jack Charles (Jitendra Chawla) to gain access to unload and start […]

A look at movable assets and secured transaction reforms (Pt. 1)
It is certainly no secret that one of the most talked about constraint to small business growth in Belize, as well as in several other countries, is the limited access to credit. This limitation is often linked to the nature of collateral requirements, which is more often than not based […]

Decomposed body found hung on tree
Mauricio Merino’s cause of death, this week, could not be determined by forensic investigations or a post-mortem examination after his badly decomposed body was found hanging from a tree in Orange Walk. Police pathologist Mario Estradabran conducted a post-mortem examination on Merino’s body on Sunday […]

Editorial
Controversy over the importation of cheap rice from the Republic of Guyana, has hit Belize like a ton of bricks. Opinion over whether to buy or not to buy the cheaper rice is sharply divided. Most of the people who support Belizean rice say the cheaper rice will destroy or […]

Mystery owner wants plane back!
The owner of the mystery plane that landed at the Belize Municipal Airport in October with no passengers or known cargo has come forward and is petitioning Belizean authorites to have his aircraft returned to him. The small Piper Seneca aircraft landed at the Municipal Airstrip in Belize City on […]

BTB invites Steve Harvey to host Costa Maya Festival despite flubb
Capitalizing on popular social media trends, as they have done before, the Belize Tourism Board (BTB), is inviting comedian Steve Harvey to host the 2016 Costa Maya Festival in August. The BTB extended the invitation to Harvey posting on his Twitter account: “We all make […]

Post office clerk steals $10,000 from express mail service
For the second time in less than 12 months, the Belize Postal Service is recovering from a scandal in which two of its employees are involved in missing money collected from people who send express mail abroad. The latest incident was discovered on Thursday, December […]

Inmate escapes hangman’s noose
A man formerly sentenced to die by the hangman’s noose, escaped death this week, when the Supreme Court of Belize reversed the sentence and ordered him to serve 25 years for murder. Glenford Baptist, 44, has served 13 years in jail and is still […]

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Keyren Tzib makes bail on manslaughter charge
After waiting two months and two days, 24-year-old Coast Guard seaman Keyren Tzib, accused of manslaughter in the July 18, 2015 killing of her common-law-husband, is tonight out on bail, two days before Christmas. At the time of her arrest, she was actually out on […]

Jack Charles wants court order to compel Belize Agricultural Health Authority to act
Importer Jack Charles is taking a case to court to compel the Belize Agricultural Health Authority to state its case against him in relation to his importation of three containers of cheaper Guyanese rice from the Big Creek port, which remain there at present. […]

New truck for Rural Eastern Division
We told you yesterday about the Police Department’s Eastern Rural Division Christmas initiative, in which they gave out $2,000 in hundred-dollar bills to area residents along the Philip Goldson Highway, travelling in buses. We will have reaction on that later, but first, today it […]

Police plan new community initiatives after “Silent Santa” success
Yesterday’s story about the Rural Eastern Division’s “Silent Santa” giveaway on the Philip Goldson Highway struck a chord with Belizeans, some of whom were disappointed they did not get a blue note from Senior Superintendent Edward Broaster and his officers. Unfortunately, that is the […]

How new police officers will be deployed in Eastern Rural
167 police officers graduated last week in Belmopan and most have already been assigned new postings. 15 of them will be headed to Eastern Division (Rural), where Senior Superintendent Edward Broaster says they are at work in Sandhill and Maskall villages. Sandhill will serve […]

Ladyville churchgoers host Christmas Parade
This evening residents of Ladyville and Lord’s Bank will be treated to a first-of-its kind Christmas parade organized by the various Christian churches in the area. Musician and member of Victory Assembly of God Church, Shane Henry, says his church’s men’s ministry practices caroling in […]

Prisoner stabbed in Hattieville
Meanwhile, there was a stabbing this afternoon at the Belize Central Prison in Hattieville but fortunately, that one was not fatal. Officer Commanding Hattieville Police, Inspector Rochelle Chan identified the victim as Sherlock Myvette, on remand for murder and kidnapping. His attacker has also been […]

Brothers Grinage granted bail
. Two brothers, Sheldon Grinage and John Grinage, who were remanded into custody on charges which included aggravated burglary of the residence of Lebanon Honorary Consul Sarkis Abou Nehra, were released on bails of $8,000 each that was offered to them today by Justice Herbert Lord. […]

Deondray McKoy beats attempted murder charge
Twenty-three year Deondre Mckoy, charged with the attempted murder of Alexis Ku, was acquitted of the charge by Justice John Gonzalez. Mckoy was also acquitted of charges of dangerous harm and use of deadly means of harm. Mckoy was not represented by any attorney. Crown Counsel Kileru Awich represented […]

Fatal accident reported in Camalote
There was a fatal traffic accident reported this evening in the village of Camalote. It involved two vehicles, a motorcycle and a grey Mazda Tribute driven by a woman with two male passengers. Both vehicles were coming from the direction of Spanish Lookout, headed to Belmopan. […]

New Burrel Boom transfer station officially open
The Ministry of Natural Resources and Immigration, along with the Belize Solid Waste Management Authority (BSWMA), issued a press release earlier today, announcing to the general public that the Burrell Boom Transfer Station at Mile 7 on the Burrell Boom/Hattieville Road is now in operation. […]

San Ignacio Rotaract Club hand toys to 200 children
The Rotaract Club of San Ignacio held another successful toy drive over the weekend. Rotaract Public Relations Director, Brendon Godoy says this is the third year the drive was held and they were able to reach out to 200 children in the San Ignacio/Santa Elena […]

Police investigate stabbing death of Linbert Brown
Belize City police are currently investigating the details surrounding the murder of 45-year-old Linbert Brown from Amara Street. Initial investigation has revealed that Brown allegedly attack a female with a broken bottle. According to reports, a by passer saw Brown attacking the female who intervened […]

Belize City cops seize 63 grams of weed
On December 22nd, around 6:00 p.m., members of the Special Branch Tactical Response Squad seized 63 grams of suspected cannabis on Vernon Street in Belize City while on patrol. Officers discovered a black plastic bag with the suspected substance which was taken to base and labelled […]

9-millimeter taken off Belize City streets
Belize City Police have labelled a fire arm with 14 live rounds as “found property” after discovering it on Red Bell Street in the Old Capital. According to the police report, on December 22nd around 6:15 a.m., while on foot patrol, officers spotted the 9 millimeter […]

Donald Trump’s Daughter Vacations in Belize
Ivanka Trump, the pregnant 34-year-old daughter of US Republican presidential candidate and billionaire investor Donald Trump, is currently vacationing in Belize with her husband. Trump posted the update to her followers via Instagram and shared that she is staying at Cayo Espanto, located three miles […]

Placencia police thanks community for support in 2015
A release from the Placencia Police Sub-Formation expressed its gratitude to the communities of Riversdale, Maya Beach, Seine Bight and Placencia for their support in the collective effort of maintaining law and order, as community involvement is important in the battle against crime. It […]

Fair weather conditions predicted
The National Meteorological Service of Belize is predicting mostly sunny skies today and partly cloudy skies tonight with showers, if any, being isolated and brief. Winds will be blowing from the East-Southeast at 10-20 knots with occasional higher gusts and the sea state will be […]

26-year-old woman charged for hit and run
A woman has been arrested for fleeing the scene after an accident she caused this past weekend. Madelyn Gongora, a Belizean cashier of Palotti High School who resides on Macal Street in Orange Walk Town, is being accused of hitting 45-year-old Marco Cuellar of […]

Owner of mystery plane comes forward
From October 27th, when a Piper PA 34 Seneca airplane landed at the Municipal Airstrip in Belize City, no owner had come forth to claim it nor could the pilot be located until the Ministry of National Security was contacted by an American who […]

Blogs

Integrating the Caribbean and Central America
In continuing with what I’ve been talking about for several years now as to how things are being integrated into districts and all that. Earlier posts talk about the over all picture, others talk about the regional CARICOM and SICA stuff and some other angle. This one speaks more into that. Time to wake up Belizeans.

The True Meaning of Christmas – AIBL’s Cheer
What’s your meaning of Christmas? Every year around the month of December, I would wonder about the true meaning of Christmas. Growing up, I was taught that Christmas is a time to be with your loved ones, a time to go to church, have a nice Christmas dinner and best of all, receive colorful gifts from family and friends. However, I often question how many people are as fortunate as I am? Most of the time, we become so busy getting ready for Christmas, buying ham, turkey, decorations, Christmas tree and gifts for a long list of names that we often don’t stop to realize the true meaning of Christmas. For me, the true meaning of Christmas is about making others feel happy and putting a smile on people’s faces. I believe that at this point in my life, I have come to appreciate the true meaning of Christmas. I have learnt to appreciate others but most importantly I have realized that I like making others feel happy. Its the best feeling ever!

Why Ex-Pats Love Living in Belize
We’ve gathered opinions from new residents and those who have been around for many years to find out why they love it here and why so many of them say that the longer they live here, the more they understand the meaning of the word paradise. It’s not hard to fathom why ex-pats feel this way, but why speak for them when we can pass along their enthusiasm directly? You can navigate this small nation effortlessly Because Belize is such a diverse nation, pockets of ex-pat developments are springing up from east to west and north to south. Some people immigrate here because they want to be in close proximity to the sea and others are equally thrilled to make their new homes inland. Since Belize is only the size of Vermont, getting around takes no time at all, which is another reason Belize is so popular with new residents.

PINEAPPLE/COCONUT RUM DRINK
Blend or shake all ingredients together. Garnish with pineapple, slice of coconut, & cherry. Blue Hole Rum can be substituted with Blue Curacao.

MANGO RUM SALSA
Mix honey, lime juice, banana, rum, and mango pieces in a kitchen blender. Blend until you get a smooth thick sauce. Transfer to a mixing bowl, and add the green peppercorns, onion, jalapeno pepper and salt.

PINEAPPLE-MANGO RUM CHICKEN (Daisy Style) by Miss Daisy
Grill chicken breast and simmer in pineapple saute for 2 minutes. Serve over your favorite rice. Saute onion, green pepper, garlic, salt, pepper, and soy sauce in vegetable oil. Flambe rum (take saute pan away from flame). Add diced pineapple, mango, and pineapple juice. Makes enough to serve 4.

What to Know About the New Paris Climate Deal
Over the past three weeks, leaders and delegates from 195 world nations have been formulating a global agreement on the reduction of climate change at the 2015 Paris Climate Conference. They’ve now reached this agreement, and governments are expected to follow through with their various commitments to make it happen. A key part of this agreement would be the pledges made by individual countries to reduce their emissions. The final draft of the agreement was recently released to the public and outlines the various measures that need to be made to limit the rise in average global temperature to well below 2°C, with 1.5°C being the ideal benchmark. The attendees called the agreement, “The single most important collective action for addressing climate change ever agreed upon.” The most important thing for the global community to do is to keep things below that 2-degree mark, the conference delegates agreed, to ward off the most severe effect of global warming. As Justin Gillis reports for The New York Times, while we don’t know the exact temperature at which the entire Greenland and West Antarctic ice sheets will melt, staying below 2°C to avoid this is a good bet. And 1.5°C is an even better bet.

International Sourcesizz

Marvel At ​Some Of National Geographic’s Best Photos From 2015
Committed to showcasing amazing photography, National Geographic Magazine publishes stunning images shot around the world each day on its website. Taken in locations as varied as the ice of Antarctica or the shores of the island of Larak in the Persian Gulf, the images serve as a daily reminder of the beauty and wonder of planet Earth. To mark the impending start of the new year, the site chose some of its favorite images of 2015 taken by both the publication's staff photographers and its Your Shot community. Take a look at part of the selection below, and head over to National Geographic's site to see more.

Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner ‘Snuck Away’ For an (Enviable) Tropical Babymoon
U.S. Republican Presidential front runner Donald Trump's daughter, Ivanka recently posted pictures from a secret hideaway in Belize. Any guesses where exactly she might be? Ivanka Trump and husband Jared Kushner have found a solution to the winter blues: a tropical escape. The couple, who are expecting their third child next year, ‘snuck away’ to a enviable Belizean beach destination for their very own babymoon. Trump, 34, shared photos from their vacation on Instagram Tuesday, writing, “Jared and I snuck away together to enjoy a few days of R&R.”

17 of the world's weirdest water features
Liquid marvels: The ultimate shape-shifter, water exhibits its fair share of weirdness. Here are some of Earth's more unusual water features. An underwater sinkhole about 40 miles off the coast of mainland Belize, the Great Blue Hole is considered one of the world's best diving spots. More than 400 feet deep, the collapsed cave is part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site

14 Adventures to Add to Your 2016 Bucket List
Hike the Rainforests of Belize: Yoga teacher Natalie Magee hiked through lush jungle vegetation to reach an overlook above the Macal River and Black Rock Lodge. She shared the trails with snakes, toucans, and tapirs, the national animal of Belize.

United States approves $750 million aid package for Central America
The United States Congress has approved a new budget which will see $750 million allocated to Central America. The money is to help the countries in the Northern Triangle of Central America (NTCA) – Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador – tackle poverty and gang violence, improve security, and reform their government. A statement by the U.S. Vice President Joe Biden underscores the growing issue of migrants, including unaccompanied minors, who are risking their lives to enter the U.S. to escape violence, poverty, and crime in Central America. “The security and prosperity of Central America are inextricably linked with our own,” says Biden, adding that “this decision by Congress to invest $750 million in Central America demonstrates that we honor our commitments and believe in a future where the Western Hemisphere is middle class, democratic, and secure”.

Videos

• Diving the Blue Hole with Amigos del Mar Dive Shop, 6min.

• Belize Police Money Operation aka Silent Santa, 8min.

• al sur del mundo - LA RESERVA MARINA DE HOL-CHAN (BELIZE), 29min. Una fascinante exploración por el mundo submarino de los arrecifes de coral en las antiguas aguas costeras del caribe. Miles de turistas, llegados desde Europa y Norteamérica recorren sus cálidas y transparentes aguas para conocer la increíble fauna de los ambientes coralinos.

• BELIZE CITY November 2015, 4min. Driving with tour buss around BELIZE CITY and LADYVILLE village on the way to AL TUN HA old MAYAN CITY (aprox. 2 h)... The tour guide gave excellent explanations and was overall great at her job !!!......everything was good.

• FRENCH LOUIE CAYE - SOUTHERN BELIZE - by Sean Sullivan, 1.5min.

• Steve B, Texas... Big Snook in Manatee River, Belize, 1min. Recent big snook catch by Steve B. of Texas... Manatee River Belize with Action Belize famous guide Richard Young, Jr.

• Dolphins Merry Christmas Wishes, 1min. Merry Christmas From Belize. Short clip from yesterday's journey back from the Blue Hole with Dolphins leading us back to San Pedro. Peace on Earth!

• Santa on Caye Caulker, in a golf cart!, 1min.

• BEL Employees Distribute Hampers to 120 Families Countrywide, 1min. Employees of Belize Electricity Limited, for the 17th consecutive year, continued the tradition of distributing hampers to deserving families across the country on December 22 and 23, 2015. The hampers contain the main ingredients for a traditional Christmas dinner; some also include toys for families with children and care packages with toiletries for the elderly.

• Belize 2008, 3min.

• Zip Lining in Belize 2015, 3.5min. Our little girls on their first cruise and first zip lining experience in the jungle.

• BELIZE CHRISTMAS PARADE 2015 (SHORT VIDEO), 1min.

• Christmas message from Manuel Heredia Jr., 8min.

Links
    Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
    Daily News
    Daily Weather

Classified Ads
    BelizeNews.com
    San Pedro Sun
    Ambergris Today
    SP Town Council
    Channel 7
    Channel 5
    Amandala
    Love FM
    The Reporter
    Caye Caulker
    Chronicles

PLUS TV
    TV Newscasts
    Radio Stations

Click for our
    Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
    Event Calendar
    Specials & Events
    Things to Do
    SanPedroScoop
    iTravel Belize
    Paradise Theater

Blogs
    San Pedro Scoop!
    Tia Chocolate
    Tacogirl
    My Beautiful Belize
    I-Travel Belize
    Belize Adventure
    Belize Hub
    Romantic Travel
    Bound for Belize
    Conch Creative
    As The Coconuts Drop
    More Blogs...
    Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
    Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
    White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
    Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
    We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
    Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
    Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
    Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
    Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
    Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
    More Links
    Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
    December
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30 31
    Who's Online
    2 registered (2 invisible), 39 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Stats
    18,672 Registered Members
    44 Forums
    64,047 Topics
    462,273 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
    BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
    BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
    BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
    and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.