FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Memories and New Beginnings, San Pedro Dance Academy host end of year show
The San Pedro Dance Academy hosted their annual end of year Christmas show on Sunday, December 20th at the Angel Nu�ez Auditorium. Titled "Memories and New Beginnings", the show had attendees enjoying dance routines demonstrating much creativity and talent. Each member of the group shone as skilled dancers in their own unique way. With admission fees at $10 for reserved seating, and $5 for general seating, the show kicked off shortly after 7PM. The beautifully decorated stage complimented the Christmas atmosphere of the show. After everyone had taken their seats, everything was set for the show to commence. The program consisted of several numbers showcasing the different skill levels of the dancers: beginners, beginners-advanced, juniors and seniors. Dressed in elaborately themed costumes, the dancers certainly gave an excellent performance. Routines were choreographed to all types of rhythms from classical ballet tunes to upbeat dance music. A roar of applause followed each dance number as attendees certainly enjoyed the show.

PUP National Convention to be held in Belmopan in January 2016
The National Executive of the People's United Party (PUP) held an executive meeting on Thursday, December 17th, ahead of the upcoming special national convention set for January 31st in Belmopan. At this national convention, a new party leader will be selected among the aspiring candidates which include John Brice�o, Francis Fonseca, and Cordel Hyde. At the executive meeting, details were determined regarding the upcoming national convention, and, Secretary General Myrtle Palacio explained the procedures. "We will be voting for several posts including the post of Party Leader. We have a Party Leader right now until a new party Leader is elected. He is Francis Fonseca. He is also the leader of the Opposition. I have been charged today to start the process of preparing for election. We expect that the delegate list will come to this office to the Chairman, Henry Usher and myself. The deadline is December twenty-ninth at five o'clock. The convention will take place in Belmopan at a venue to be decided on at a later date.

Santa Claus pays surprise visit to island children
Santa Claus paid a special visit to Ambergris Caye on Sunday, December 20th during the San Pedro Lions Club annual Children Christmas Party. Children from across the island made their way to the Lions Den as early as 4PM to meet the jolly man who presented them with fabulous Christmas gifts. The event brought much joy and laughter to both the children and parents in attendance. After meeting Santa, San Pedro Lions members handed goody bags filled with candies, an apple and other delicious treats to the children. Over a hundred children participated in the fun, eager for their chance to sit on Santa's lap and receive a special gift. One by one, the children made their way to the stage and even had their photos taken with Santa. Of course some of the younger children weren't so thrilled to meet Santa, but quickly warmed up to him at the sight of their present in hand.

Greetings from The San Pedro Sun
They say the older you get the faster time travels, and I have to say 2015 flew at warp speed! There were plenty of highs with quality time spent with the ones I love the most, and some heartbreaking times over the year, notably losing two family dogs; RIP Lucky Dog and Pepita. Both were rescued pot lickers, and although their lives weren't the longest I'm happy that I could give them a happy and healthy home. As always it is a pleasure to work with my awesome co-workers at The San Pedro Sun and I'm excited about a promising 2016. We are one heck of a team and together we are a force to be reckoned with! We're proud of the positive changes we have made in our beloved community and I thank our loyal supporters from the bottom of my heart! With the New Year I hope to maintain the practice of random acts of kindness. It's those little gestures that can make (or break) someone's day, and I know firsthand what a difference this can make, be it from the giving or the receiving end. I recently adopted a homeless dog from Saga and it does my heart good knowing how happy WE BOTH are now! Here's to the best year yet, full of health, happiness, prosperity and puppies!

Ambergris Today

San Pedro Demands More Power Supply Over Current Tourist Season
Belize Electricity Limited (BEL) has commenced works to increase its power supply capacity for San Pedro, Town, Ambergris Caye, as the island seems to be experiencing exceptional power requirements during the current tourist season. Customers on the island experienced an unscheduled interruption in power supply ranging from one to over two hours on Thursday, December 24 when the demand for electricity exceeded the installed capacity at the substation which supplies the island via a submarine cable from mainland Belize. BEL is currently concentrating efforts on transporting and installing its mobile substation to provide the additional capacity required for San Pedro Town. Brief power interruptions will be necessary tonight for the Corozal and Orange Walk Districts and San Pedro Town to allow for connection of the mobile substation.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Brief power interruptions in San Pedro
BEL advises customers in San Pedro Town, Corozal District and Orange Walk District that brief power interruptions will be necessary during the night on December 25 to facilitate connection of a mobile substation, needed to supply to San Pedro Town.

26th Annual KREM New Years Day Cycling Classic 2016
Corozal to Belize City, Orange Walk to Belize City

Roots Reggae with Julian Melodyman Escobar
Saturday Night is Roots Reggae at the Sports Bar with Julian Melodyman Escobar from 6 - 9 pm! Come listen and dance to the beats of Roots reggae -- Belizan�Location : Barrier Reef Sports Bar & Grill, Front Street December 26, 2015, Time: 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm

Belizean Junior Soccer Stars Tyler & Tylin Gill!
It has been a while since Belizean Legends update its audience on the progress of Belizean-Americans junior soccer stars, Tyler and Tylin Gill and their rapid rise into the Los Angeles soccer world. Well, these two young soccer stars have just recently completed a very successful football tour overseas playing in various tournaments where they have done well, and also had just finished playing some important games in Arizona. Tyler and Tylin are now heading to Mexico where they will also represent their team in tournaments there. In following the success of these two aspiring Belizean-Americans in sports, we wish them the best as they grow up into teenage soccer champions in the representation of Belize in the diaspora. Surge on Tyler and Tylin!

Dive Team visited Caye Caulker GIANT CAVE!
Giant Cave : about 300 meters off the hotel dock. In about 3 feet of water. You can either walk or surface swim out to the cave where it drops down into a bowl about 30ft deep surrounded by big tarpon. Inside the cave you won't wonder why it was named GIANT CAVE by Paul Heinerth back in the 70's. It's truly massive passageways with massive decorations that stand 20+ feet tall. Depths range from 60-100ft average depth about 70ft. It's saltwater and generally pretty warm inside.

Blogs

My Christmas Eve in San Pedro, Belize: From High Winds to a Blackout
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL! And I'll admit, that title of this blog post doesn't get you excited about Christmas in Belize, but it was much more beautiful than it sounds� Here was my Christmas Eve. The weather is absolutely beautiful but wildly windy for this time of year. Gusts of up to 30 mph are making diving and snorkeling trips tough�but sailing and kite boarding, bar & restaurant hopping and pool sunning marvelous. I ran into a guy that I met in Placencia a few years ago�he is now on Ambergris Caye and weaves some AMAZING stuff out of palm fronds. I took some pictures as we waited for our Pork Meatball Banh Mi at Two Tree Bahn Mi�the ladies were hard at work. I am SO hooked on these right now. My very favorite lunch.

The darkness draws us close: Merry Christmas
Some people say it is a holiday tradition, but for whatever reason, the power went out all over Ambergris Caye on Christmas Eve, around 6:30 p.m. I say it was that one last set of lights added to that one last house somewhere on the island that blew the circuits. Anyhow, the island was blacked out. Mostly. Generators are very popular accessories. Even San Pedro Town has two giant trailer generators that kick in and keep the downtown lit. Rose and I were up at Marbucks Coffee House which has its own generator. It kicked in quickly and the holiday cheer and goodwill went on undiminished. I broke away from our gathering of friends and took a walk down to the old Palapa Bar, now dark and forlorn even when there is electricity. A walk out to the end of the pier confirmed that we were living on one dark island for the moment, save for that gloriously bright and round moon.

Corozal 2015 parade
Every year the Town of Corozal host their annual Parade. On Sunday December 20, 2015 the parade was supposed to be held. Due to the weather, on Wednesday December 23 the parade started in front of the Central Park at 7pm. As every group lined up by number it was long wait before it moved. The colorful trailers were decorated. Adults and children enjoyed watching the parade. Wishing a safe and secure Christmas and Happy new year.

Belize Photo Contest!
You tagged us and we saw! We love what we are seeing and want to show our thanks! Continue tagging your Instagram photos of Belize, Belizeans and the Belizean Culture with #itravelbelize. We will post a monthly pictorial blog with our favorite tagged photos of travels in Belize. Show off our amazing country, get featured and WIN WIN WIN! Lets make 2016 the year of Boasting Belize! Show us why you love Belize in pictures and iTravelBelize will be giving a prize for our favorite every month starting this January! Don't forget #iTavelBelize. The more photos you tag the better your chances of winning! Here are some of our favorites so far�

Mexico Dive Club Enjoys Belizean Waters
We are a 30-year-old dive club from Michuacan, Mexcio, called Chapos Dive Club and we were recently in your beautiful country of Belize diving at Halfmoon Caye, Long Caye and Hol Chan Marine Reserve. We have to say that our diving experience has been unbelievable. Thirteen members of our group came in June 2014 and now we are back with 23 because of the conservation efforts your country has in place to keep your reef and waters so beautiful and pristine. Plus!! The people in Belize are so hospitable; we feel very welcomed here and have had an amazing time. Our group is a non-profit club comprised of members who are of different professions, but who have a passion for diving. This time around we traveled from Mexico City to Chetumal and then hopped to San Pedro. We have been diving in Cuba, Baja California and Cabo, mostly in the Pacific Ocean, but we have to say that we are really happy here in Belize. Your country is amazing, keep it safe, clean and protected and we will be coming back for as long as possible.

A Mini Blogger in Belize
How cool is it that I can Blog and you can too? It's kind of weird to think someone in Europe or something could be reading about my adventures in Belize. Ok, let me get going. Road trips in Belize are the coolest. I have this awesome aunt that let us borrow "Big Mac" (that's what she named her car) and we took off for a day to explore Belize. The iTravel Bloggers and I went to the zoo and of course it turned out to be all about me. Kids are just cute like that:) My mom wrote a story about it on iTravel Belize with so many pictures and Gerry made a cool video. I had been to the Zoo a few times with my mom so I knew what was up before we got there. We got to see so many animals and Ms. Sharon even made me her assistant. She's the lady that started the zoo and the animals love her so getting to see the zoo with her is so cool. You get to be really close to the animals and of course, take selfies with them.

Belizean Coconut Jerk Chicken Wings By Miss Daisy
Cut the wings in 3 pieces, do not use the tips. Remove bone without disfiguring the shape of the wing. Chop spring onions and mix with soy sauce, jerk seasoning, coconut milk, and rum. Marinate wings for at least 30 minutes but overnight would be even better. Drain and dry the wings, dust them with flour, bathe them in the beaten eggs. Coat the wings with a mixture of coconut flakes, salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven, drizzle with a mixture of honey and coconut oil while baking.

International Sourcesizz

Queen Elizabeth II's Christmas Message: 'Light Shines In The Darkness'
The Queen used her Christmas Day message to highlight the 'moments of darkness' the world has confronted - stressing the Christian message that light always triumphs over the dark. A series of terrorist atrocities have shocked the world during 2015, from the mass shootings and bombings in Paris last month to the gun attack at a Tunisia resort during the summer. But the Queen, whose address contained a traditionally strong religious framework, reflecting her own faith, sounded optimistic in quoting a verse from the Bible - insisting ISIS, or any other terror network, will not ever succeed in their twisted extremist agenda. Reflecting on the past 12 months, the monarch told the nation: 'It is true that the world has had to confront moments of darkness this year, but the Gospel of John contains a verse of great hope, often read at Christmas carol services: "The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it".'

Belize: Trading Butter for Bathing Suits in San Pedro, Island girls have more fun (part 1)
It's the holiday season and one of the country's most revered pie-making debutantes is feeling the heat. No, she's not slaving away in the kitchen waiting for the dough to rise. She's on a tropical island in the Caribbean basking in sunshine on a pristine beach. It's a life swap that Debbie Klauber makes six months out of the year. But, living in San Pedro on the island of Ambergris Caye is a mixed bag for Klauber. On one hand, she loves frolicking like a mermaid in the warm waters, on the other, she's tortured by the lack of her favorite baking essentials. "Oh, sure, they have butter in San Pedro but it costs seven dollars for a half pound!" exclaims the curly-haired castaway. Conch and ceviche are within her budget but not eggs and milk. The endearing Capital Region personality declares Belize home six months a year, not exactly a full-fledged expat but close enough. For a quarter of a century Klauber ran the beloved sandwich, soup and pastry shop known as Debbie's Kitchen on Madison Avenue in Albany, NY. The eatery sat a few doors shy from George Dunbrook's car repair business. When the city temps fell to a miserable minus zero last winter, George suggested that we escape to Madonna's "La Isla Bonita" to visit his favorite donut dame.

Group from Redlands Adventist Academy, Redlands Seventh-day Adventist Church takes mission trip to Belize
For Thanksgiving this year, a group of 53 adults and youth from the Redlands Seventh-day Adventist Church and Redlands Adventist Academy went on a mission trip to Orange Walk Town, Belize. "At the core of Thanksgiving is gratitude and service," said Todd Rosspencer, youth pastor of the Redlands Seventh-day Adventist Church and leader of the mission trip. "I've found no more transcendent way to experience this holiday than to be on a mission trip, giving for the benefit of others," Rosspencer said. On the group's first night in Belize, a Central American country on the Caribbean Sea, their hosts put on an event featuring Belizean cuisine, cultural dances, an exhibition of their national game and gifts. Some of the mission trip participants put on a health fair in Orange Walk Town, with interactive stations on diet, dental care, hygiene, exercise and mental health. There was also an eye clinic where more than 350 pairs of glasses were given.

How cats conquered the earth
They're the superheroes of the animal kingdom, the most powerful predators on the planet whose extraordinary skills have given them valuable advantages over other animals. Humans aside, they're the most successful survivors on Earth, having adapted to almost every conceivable environment from the harsh Siberian wilds to Africa's scorched savannah. They are, of course, cats. And while big cats have long been a wildlife TV subject, you'll never have seen a show quite like biologist Patrick Aryee's before. Yes, he gets up close and personal with lions and tigers and talks about their hunting prowess. During the Ice Age cats travelled from Asia to America. Patrick meets the Canada lynx, which has the thickest fur of any cat and huge paws that act like snow shoes. As the lynx moved on it adapted to each landscape. In tropical Belize in Central America it became the margay, a treetop hunter that leaps up to 13ft between branches.

Honduras Follows Guatemala's Path to Fight Corruption
An unusual partnership between local prosecutors and international law enforcement experts brought down President Otto P�rez Molina of Guatemala in September, as a large corruption investigation reached the highest levels of the country's political elite. In neighboring Honduras, civic leaders have been pressing the government for months to adopt a similar model to start chipping away at the country's corruption and culture of impunity. That may soon come to pass. President Juan Orlando Hern�ndez's government and the Organization of American States, a regional organization, are in the final stages of negotiating the scope of an anticorruption team led by foreign investigators and judges who would train Honduran officials so they would be better able to prosecute complex public corruption cases. As currently envisioned, the O.A.S. team would have a weaker mandate than the International Commission Against Impunity in Guatemala, which was established by the United Nations in 2006. It is nonetheless a promising initiative that the United States and others in the international community should support and fund.

Videos

• BPP Christmas & New Year Message, 6min. Paco Smith, Chairman of the BPP, presents to you, the BPP's Christmas & New Year Message.

• Snorkeling in the Belize Barrier Reef, 8min.

Got amazing footage from a snorkeling trip to the Belize barrier reef, 20 miles off the coast of the Placencia peninsula, December 2015. See various coral fish including Dory (couldn't find Nemo unfortunately), jellyfish, a barracuda, nursing sharks, the spotted eagle ray, the green sea turtle and more. Filmed with the iPhone 6, contained in a $15 BeachBuoy case (yes, it survived). Edited with iMovie.
  • Belize 2015, 2.5min.

• Belize, 2min.

• Shopping mall in Belize City before x-mas - Kar�csony előtti pl�za szitu Belize Cityben, 3min.

• high street of Belize City - Belize City főutc�ja, 4min.

• Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow. - Hopkins Bay Belize 2015, 4min.

• Why Visit Caye Caulker Belize, 2min. Check out this great little island. It is a great place to travel to for a vacation or as a back packer.

• Diving Belize, Blackbird Resort, 6min.

• Belize Fishing Catching Bait, 1.5min.

• Belize 2015, min. Just a fraction of our amazing experience in Belize

• Belize 2015, 8.5min. Scuba diving in Belize - 2015.

• Jen and Andy Straus - Tres Cocos and Esmeralda, Belize Diving Nov. 2015, 5min.

• The Solo Traveller Lifestyle PT.1 (Mexico-Belize), 5min. See what its like to Travel around Central America SOLO. Only me myself, and I. But of course, the beauty of Travel is you always meet people along the way.

• Belize it YT, Scuba diving andmore!, 5.5min.

• Scenes from Christmas celebrations in Dangriga!, .5min.