Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#5102 - 10/03/00 05:07 PM NEWS UPDATE FROM AMBERGRIS CAYE
belize Offline
AT 10:00 AM TODAY WORD FROM SAN PEDRO WAS THAT THERE WERE NO KNOWN CASUALTIES - GUESTS HAD BEEN HELPING TO CLEAR THE RUNWAY TO GET PLANES OUT AND 3 TROPIC AIR FLIGHTS HAD ALREADY DEPARTED - MAYA ISLAND AIR WAS GETTING READY TO DO THE SAME - PLANET OCEANS DIVE GROUP FROM THE MAYAN PRINCESS WAS PART OF THAT GROUP - THE MAYAN PRINCESS IS STILL STANDING TALL, WITH ONLY A FEW MINOR REPAIRS NECESSARY - SUNBREEZE WAS OKAY? - REPORTS ON OTHER HOTELS MAY BE IN BY 2 PM CT AS REQUESTED - THE CONDITIONS OF HOTEL'S NORTH OF BOCA DEL RIO, UP NEAR JOURNEY'S END, WAS ALSO UNKNOWN BUT WHAT IS KNOWN IS THAT EVERYONE IS SAFE IN THAT AREA - AND I REPEAT, NO KNOWN CASUALTIES - THIS IS THE BEST NEWS - THE WESTERN SIDE OF THE ISLAND IS BADLY DAMAGED, SMALL HOMES, LOTS OF ROOF DAMAGE - WILL HAVE MORE ON THIS LATER - POWER AND PHONE LINES ARE DOWN AND WILL REPORT WHEN THEY CAN BE EXPECTED TO RETURN, BUT GUESSING AT LEAST A WEEK PROBABLY MORE - CLEANUP HAS BEGUN AND AMBERGRIS WILL BE BACK ON TRACK VERY SOON -

ON CAYE CAULKER THE REPORT IS MUCH WORSE - NO KNOWN CASUALTIES HERE BUT JUST ABOUT EVERY HOME HAS SUSTAINED ROOF DAMAGE OR IS GONE -

BELIZE CITY HAD SOME MINOR FLOODING - WATER WAS RECEDING - SOME ROOF DAMAGE, TREES, POWER LINES BUT COMMUNICATION IS STILL AVAILABLE HERE - EVERYONE IS SAFE

BOATS FROM BELIZE CITY WERE LEAVING FOR BOTH CAYE CAULKER AND SAN PEDRO THIS MORNING WITH RELIEF SUPPLIES -

NO ONE IS STARVING AND EVERYONE IS BEING CARED FOR WITH THE KINDEST HEARTS AND THE BEST BELIZEAN HOSPITALITY...IT'S WHAT WE DO BEST!

WILL UPDATE AT 2:00 PM OR AS IT BECOMES AVAILABLE - I THANK ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR CONCERN AND WHEN OTHER RELIEF EFFORTS BECOME AVAILABLE I WILL POST.

KINDEST REGARDS,

#5103 - 10/03/00 05:10 PM Re: NEWS UPDATE FROM AMBERGRIS CAYE
rokky Offline
Thanks for the update. If anyone has someone they know that has a cell phone that people can call for emergency purposes, would anyone be willing to share the number??

#5104 - 10/03/00 05:20 PM Re: NEWS UPDATE FROM AMBERGRIS CAYE
Dragonfly Offline
Where were these planes headed, Belmopan? My son is a pilot would love to know if he is flying people out.

#5105 - 10/03/00 06:28 PM Re: NEWS UPDATE FROM AMBERGRIS CAYE
I Belize Offline
Good to hear. Keep news coming!

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,029 Topics
462,231 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.