Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#510270 - 12/31/15 11:47 AM Today's Belize News: December 31, 2015
Marty Offline

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

Ambergris Today

Guerrero & Zaldivar Nuptials
Congratulations to Vanessa Guerrero and Ian Zaldivar Jr. on their nuptials that took place on Saturday, December 26, 2015. The loving couple exchanged vows at the Living Word Church and celebrated with family and friends at the San Pedro Lions Den. Maid of Honor was Marisela Marin and Best Man was Alan Hite. Ambergris Today wishes Vanessa and Ian a happy union as Mr. and Mrs. Zaldivar.

New Dog Registration & Restraining Laws Set to Control Stray Dog Population
Commencing Monday, January 4, 2016, all dog owners are being required to vaccinate dogs four (4) months and older against Rabies and licensed with the San Pedro Town Council. This new initiative is being carried out by the San Pedro Town Council and Saga Humane Society in order to reduce the number of stay dogs on the streets of Ambergris Caye. The stray dog population has been a problem on the island and drastic and inhumane measures such as poison eradications had been conducted in the past, something Saga has shunned upon. Irresponsible dog ownership can be pointed out as a main factor for the stray dog problem and with this new initiative, it is expected to turn around the situation. Saga Humane Society indicates that Rabies vaccinations are a prerequisite for licensing dogs, and are available at the Society for $30. No cost vaccinations are available to those in need.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Splashers
Can't believe it's already the end of the year! Hope to see my Paint Ladies there! Come join us to paint "Xunantunich" this Thursday at Crazy Canucks. Everything you need is provided step by step direction, paint, brushes, smocks, canvas and maybe even a stencilled canvas if you need it (shhhh). $25u.s for first time artists and visitors. $20u.s for our members.

DECREASE IN PUMP PRICES FOR REGULAR GASOLINE AND KEROSENE
The Ministry of Finance hereby informs the general public that, with the arrival of another shipment of fuel over the weekend, the Pump Prices for Regular Gasoline and Kerosene will fall substantially as a result of lower CIF Prices. This shipment was comprised of Regular Gasoline and Kerosene only. Effective on midnight 29th December, 2015 the new Pump Prices in Belize City are as follows: Regular Gasoline - $8.30 per US Gallon – a decrease of 32 cents per gallon Kerosene - $4.48 per US Gallon - a decrease of 10 cent per gallon Import Duties and other taxes on both products remain unchanged. The Ministry of Finance further advises the general public that all future reductions in the CIF Prices of these fuel products will be passed on directly to the price at the pump and that it also intends to maintain the current level of duties and taxes without change on these products.

SUGAR n CREAM..
26th Annual KREM Radio New Year's Day Cycling Classic 2016.

The Farm House Deli Opens
The Farm House Deli had their grand opening this month. They are located in Belmopan, at the corner of Rio Grande and Nim Li Punit streets. They offer fresh produce, pastries and bread, and artisan cheeses from Caves Branch(which can be found in Cayo at the Wine House). Delicious! "As close to organic as we can provide right now .. freshly garden picked daily .. a variety of over 20 fresh vegetables."

The U.S. Embassy Belmopan has an opening for a Purchasing Agent position.
Responsible for the procurement/purchasing of commodities, supplies and services (including off-the-shelf purchases) for State and other serviced agencies. This includes conducting market research, preparing purchase orders or other procurement actions such as blanket purchase agreements, purchase card orders or contracts, and placing orders for requested goods and services and ensuring that these are received and delivered in a timely fashion; Reviews and processes invoices/billings, obtaining necessary approvals and documentation and submitting these to the Finance Office for payment requests. As cardholder of a Government SMARTPAY Purchase Card, is responsible for its proper use, maintenance, record keeping, statement reconciliation and following through on orders until they are received; Arranges for the repair and maintenance of copiers; replenishes office supply stock, maintains filing system including electronic filing of all orders and prepares reports as necessary.

PIZZA! PIZZA!
For all you pizza lovers in Corozal and surrounding areas, you can now enjoy hot-and-ready pizzas at Little Caesars Pizza, located at the corner of Avenida Insurgentes and Calle C. Polimar. No. 514, Chetumal MX ( just across the new ADO bus station). Open everyday now during normal working hours. Current exchange rate at the border $1.00BZ = 7.30MXP

Nelson Fuller: Legendary Belizean Musical Artist & Drummer!
The 1970s Belize's Lord Rhaburn Combo outstanding drummer, Nelson Fuller, could be dubbed as Belize's most rhythmic drummer of all times throughout the years of Belize's professional entertainment scene of the 1970's and 1980's. Not only was he a class act within his own musical spectrum, but he taught many upcoming Belizean drummers how to play all different genres of music----from R&B to the Funk, and from reggae to calypso. Fuller who was versed in all forms of music, was also respected by American as well as Caribbean musicians who had come to play music in Belize in the 1970's and 80's. The legendary Belizean drummer who now has been living in Los Angeles for many years now, spoke with Belizean Legends about his brilliant career as a Belizean musician, and his life as a drummer for Belize's most populist band, the Lord Rhaburn Combo. His revealing and interesting interview with Bilal Morris of Belizean Legends comes at a timely moment since Fuller has fell ill for many years now, and has been absent from the Belize music scene. The acclaimed Belizean drummer and artist reveals many interesting events in Belize's music history, and alerts many of us Belizean music enthusiasts that we may have seen the best and the last of Belizean music and musicianship that exploded in the 1950's and eclipsed in the late 1980's.

Same Old Me: Belizean Artist Harrington Trapp!
The legendary Belizean musical artist, Harrington Trapp, musical career span from his time as as a vocalist in the 1960's with bands in Belize like The Promoters and Glenn Bood & The Telegrams, to his work as a musical artist and vocalist in the United States in the 1970's and 80's with Belizean bands like the legendary, The Webb, to the reggae band called the Babylon Warriors. Since making his mark as an outstanding vocalist and trombone player with the Webb, Trapp later went on to carve out a career for himself as a solo artist and vocal stylist in the 1990's and beyond. His incredible body of work has warranted much respect and admiration from new and younger Belizean artists of today who credited the veteran Belizean artist, producer, and musician, with a model to emulate in their careers. Influenced by the 1960's R&B African-American musical renaissance of the 1960's of artists like Sly & The Family Stone, and other soulful troubadours of that era, Trapp began developing his authentic Belizean soulful style as a vocalist since his early musical debut as a teenager in the 1960's classic Belizean musical spectrum.

BELIZEAN TWIN BROTHERS SENSATION: MICHAEL & MARK WAGNER
It was a pleasure to have had the privilege of interviewing for Belizean Legends, the Belizean twin brothers sensation, Michael and Mark Wagner who performed on Saturday, June 27, 2015, at the Bombay Lounge at Little Belize in Inglewood, California. Graced by incredible humility, love and entertainment brilliance, the two brothers shared their entire entertainment life from their youth performances in Belize, to the empowerment of their father, the legendary Joe Wagner, and how they continued down separate paths in the entertainment industry in the United States after their migration from Belize. This long awaiting comeback and performance together has brought both Belizean artists to reflect on how much has changed for them, and how they were able to refine their brands once again. A long awaited feature, and delivered as promised to Belizean Legends fans and audience. Enjoy!

Belize's Legendary bredda David: The Real Story!
No other Belizean artist in the entire scope of Belizean music history has done what the legendary Belizean musical icon, bredda David has done for music in Belize. bredda David has become the quintessential Belizean artist whose migration out of Belize in the 1960's to the United States to established a credible musical accomplishment, and later returned to Belize after many years to developed a pulsating Afro-Belizean style of music called Cungo. In this Belizean Legend expose, the talented Belizean artist explores the realms of Cungo music with Belizean Legends host, Bilal Morris, and takes his viewers through memory lane of the Afro-Belizean struggle to survive slavery and colonialism into the British Mahogany Camps in the former British Honduras where the music of Sambai created by runaway slaves were established in a village called Gales Point Manatee. bredda David makes a striking distinction between the music of Belize's other Afro-Belizean people, the Garinagu, and that of the Afro-Belizean people the Creoles whom have become the originators of the Sambai that later merged into the Brukdong. He credits the renowned Belizean Brukdong artist, Mr. Peters, whom he worked with on his repatriation back to Belize, for assisting him in the development of the Cungo sound, and being the Father of Afro-Belizean (Creoles) music.

Channel 7

Cops Confirm 93 Year Old Was Not Sexually Assaulted
For the past two nights – we’ve been reporting on the condition of Patrick Grant, the 93 year old victim of a home invasion. The Fern Lane resident was very badly beaten – but what’s even more disturbing is the suggestion that he may have also been sexually assaulted. Today, Commander of the Eastern Division Southside Chester Williams answered that question definitively – when he told us the nature of the attack incensed him:.. Sr. Supt. Chester Williams - OC, Eastern Division Southside "When I was briefed about the incident, I think Monday morning; it brought cold seed to me. To see that some living being have the courage to inflict such injuries on such an elderly person; I don't understand or I do not see what Mr. Grant could do to somebody, a young man for him to be able to conflict the level of injuries that was inflicted on him. I must first and foremost say my sympathy to the family of Mr. Grant. From what our investigation has been showing, we know that there has been a lot in the media to suggest that Mr. Grant may have been sexually molested but I can categorically state that we had requested the doctor to conduct an examination to verify whether or not that in fact happened. The doctor has certified and informed us that there is no evidence of the fact of him being sexually molested. So I am happy to know that has been dispelled from medical examination. I believe that the only reason why the perpetrators of that crime could have injured Mr. Grant the way they did, I think they would have wanted to kill him to silence him."

National Animal Knocked Down By A Jet
A bizarre accident happened at the Phillip Goldson International yesterday night when a jet collided with a tapir at the end of the main runway. At about 7:30, an Amerijet 727 Cargo jet was taking off when it hit the tapir just before it was about to take flight. The tapir was killed and the jet’s front wheel was badly damaged. It had to taxi back to the apron for repairs – which caused a delay of a few hours. Now you might ask, what’s a tapir doing on the runway? But, the Belize District – especially this area – is well known for Tapirs – and they are often seen crossing the Boom road which is a just a few miles from the airport. Celso Poot – who’s been doing community education about tapir’s for 20 years – says there must be greater awareness of the tapirs which are all around us:… "The whole Burrell Boom, Ladyville area has high incidents of tapir vehicles collisions; this is tapir being knocked down by cars in the area. We know that in the airport area there is a family of about 3 or 4 tapirs living there. It's not the first time we've had tapirs on the runway at the airport; actually this is the 3rd time I know of it that it has been reported. However it is the first time I have heard of a fatality of tapir on the runway. I have been monitoring tapirs in the central Belize area since 2008. I started monitoring with cameras in 2012. What the data is showing is that there is high level of tapir presence in the area..."

Three For Murder In PG
Last night, we told you about 55 year-old Luciano Evaristo Bul, the farmer from the village of San Pedro Colombia in the Toledo District who was chopped and then shot to death. Well, Punta Gorda Police are reporting tonight that they have charged 4 men for his murder, and those accused, are waiting to be transported to Belize Central Prison. They are 21 year-old Pedro Cus Jr. 20 year-old Seferino Cho, 18 year-old Robert Chen, and a 16 year-old minor, who are all residents of San Pedro Colombia, where the deceased lived as well. This evening, the Commander of the Punta Gorda Police Station told us that the 4 accused persons cooperated with police, and led them to find a .410 shotgun which is believed to be the weapon used to shoot and kill Bul after he was chopped. The men also led them to another prohibited weapon a 223 semi-automatic rifle, which had a magazine containing 5 live rounds of 5.56 ammunition. He told via telephone that as a result, they’ve all been charged with murder, and Pedro Cus has been charged for illegal firearm:

Suspects For Suspected Heroin Charged
Two men have been charged for the suspected heroin found in Belize City on Monday night. They are Giovannie Requena and Richard Macdonald and they have both been charged for drug trafficking. But, police aren’t completely sure what drug they were trafficking. The 11 kilos wrapped in brown paper is suspected to be heroin, but tests have not confirmed that yet. As we told you, the Anti-Drug Unit stopped a vehicle at the Bel China Bridge, and found the heroine concealed.

While The Rice Matter Is Pending, Charles' Port Bills Mounting
On Monday, there will be a heated battle in court over whether or not Belize City Importer Jack Charles should be allowed to import Guyanese Rice. And while he waits for the court, the holdup is costing Jack Charles. He told us today that as far as he is aware, he’s being charged by the Port of Big $100 a day per container for the storage space on in his compound. That means that he owes the Port $300 daily for the containers, and then he must also pay the shipping line $150 for the use of the containers. So, in total, that’s $450 per day. He’s been incurring these costs since Friday, and so as of this evening, he owes $2,700 in rental fees, which will continue to increase by $450 every day that his rice is stuck at the Big Creek Port. By Monday, when the case is set to start, he’ll owe $4,950, and so his legal team will press the court to expedite the case. By that time, there could be further delays due to the court process, and the rental fees could sky rocket – which might suit BAHA and the government just fine.

Breaking Down GOB's Tax Take On Fuel: How Much Is Too Much?
World oil prices are plummeting, but the pump prices in Belize actually went up with the last fuel shipment. And that’s because while the acquisition cost went down, government’s tax bite was bigger. A press release from the Ministry of Finance says it’s all about belt-tightening, and making up for revenues lost from the nearly depleted Spanish Lookout Oil Field. And the effect of that is passed unto you, with pump prices that were more than 10% higher – and all of the increase is tax. Today we took a deep dig into the numbers to see how today’s prices compare to previous years when the landed price of fuel was comparable: We start first with diesel, which went up by 81 cents on Monday. That is 13% more than the price of the previous fuel shipment which arrived on the 16 th. Now for a little bit of clarity, you must keep in mind that the total cost you pay at your local gas station is determined by a few things. Two of the most important factors are the landed cost and the Government’s overall tax take. In the case of diesel the pump price is at a flat $7.00 per gallon as of midnight Monday. Out of this, $3.11 will be used to cover landing costs and $2.86 will go into government coffers as tax.

No Murder in Belize City For December (So Far)
December is about to end – and there hasn’t been a murder recorded in Belize City for the whole month. Now, cross your fingers, knock on wood and all that good stuff – but if the peace holds, it will be the second month for this year that the Southside has seen no murders. That’s pretty darn amazing considering how the year started with 30 murders for the first half of the year. Today we discussed the numbers with the architect of the downturn, southside commander Chester Williams:… Sr. Supt. Chester Williams - OC, Eastern Division Southside "I must say that for the first half of the year, January to July before I came, the murder count for Southside Belize City was at 30. Since I came from July to present, the murder count for Southside Belize City is 8. So we see a reduction of almost 300% in murders on Southside Belize City when you compare the second half of this to the first half of this year. We are seeing significant reduction in almost every category of crime when we compare the latter part of 2015 to the earlier part; or the same period last year. The figure likewise look good but I always say to people, that sometime when you tell people about figures it does not give them a level of comfort that they want. Because if you are the victim of a crime in this second half of the year and you were not the victim in earlier part of the year; to you crime went up in the second part. So what normally counts for me is the perception. How do people feel about crime on Southside Belize City?"

Chester Is Amandala's MOFTY
And those kinds of numbers, which truly are remarkable – is what led to Chester Williams receiving the honour of Amandala’s man of the year for 2015. It’s very unusual for such an honour to go to a police officer – who typically embodies the values of the status quo. But Williams completely changed business as usual for police on the Southside – and has the results to show for it. Today he told us he is humbled by the honour: Sr. Supt. Chester Williams - OC, Eastern Division Southside "I was thrilled this morning when I read the article and I must say that I am humbled by the recognition but I must say that I cannot carry the recognition alone because after all, I work with a team. I could have not been recognised without my team by my side. The media houses, Channel 5, Channel 7, Love FM, Krem again they have always tried their utmost best to; despite the fact that sensationalism sells more than good news, I can see where the media houses have been doing their best to try and sell the positive image of the police as well. That has helped us to market ourselves more in a more positive way to the public and the public has become more receptive to the work that the police on Southside Belize City have been doing. I must say that the recognition that I got from Amandala is as a result of those factors." But probably the biggest factor is not the cooperation he got from his team, or from the media, it’s the stamp of approval he’s gotten from the community. The service orientation, accountability, and rejection of brutal tactics – all combined to win the community’s consent for his brand of policing. Today, Williams discussed his policing cornerstones:…

Cops Catch Fleeing Gunman
And while he may have elevated policing to a somewhat cerebral pursuit, Williams isn’t above playing cops and robbers, or as the case may be, cops and shooters. That’s what happened on Monday night when Williams ran right into a hot police pursuit of a car that had just been involved in a shooting on Curassow Street. At around 8:20, 19-year-old Stanley Alexander Flowers of a Belize City address was shot to the right arm while he stood at the corner of Gibnut and Curassow Streets. Williams told us how cops got the car, the driver, and the vehicle:.. "On Monday night sometime after 9 pm, police responded to an information of shots being fired on Currosow street. Police were in the immediate vicinity and the end up pursuing a vehicle, a Mitsubishi Endeavour. The vehicle was pursued through the streets of Southside Belize City; I must say I was a part of that pursue as well, I was in my assigned government vehicle and I heard the shots fired and the strike team were in immediate pursuit and I went in aid of them..."

Path Still Not Clear For Cubans In Prison
What’s going to happen the 30+ Cubans stuck at the Belize Central Prison? That’s the question the Government of Belize will have to answer at some point because they are very much like the 4,000 Cubans stranded between Costa Rica Nicaragua. They all want to make it to the United States, and according to the Guatemalan Government a resolution may be forthcoming in the near future. As we told you, the Guats say that a decision has been made to airlift the stranded Cubans to El Salvador, where they will be put on buses to cross from Guatemala into Mexico, and then finally into the US. So, will these Cubans incarcerated in the Belizean prison be a part of the group allowed to pass? Well, when we spoke with Acting Prison CEO Virgilio Murrillo today, he told us that he has heard the very same reports we had, but nothing officially has come to him or the Prison on instructions for these Cubans. He told us that the Magistracy or the Supreme Court would have to issue a removal order for these jailed Cuban migrants to be released.

Calling Out To Claudio
The family of 34 year-old San Pedro Resident Claudio Gongora is worried about his whereabouts tonight, and they’re hoping that you can help them to find him. His sister Marisol Amoa, reported to Ladyville police that she visited him in San Pedro for a few days and hasn’t been able to reach him since. He is of slim build, 5 feet 2 inches tall, with brown Complexion. He has a scar on the left cheek, brown eyes, and black low-cut hair. If you’ve seen him anywhere, you are asked to contact the nearest police station.

Man Dies Nine Days After Freak Accident
A freak accident in the Spanish Lookout community that occurred some two weeks ago has led to the death of one man. Around 5 pm on Saturday December 19th , 29 year old Eddy Alberto Sanchez, of Buena Vista Village, was riding his motor cycle in the compound of Belize Concrete located on the outskirts of Spanish lookout off the Iguana Creek Road. That’s when he got clotheslined on a cable strung across the entrance as a barrier to the compound. As a result Sanchez sustained head and body injuries – this photo was taken as he lay unconscious on the scene. He was taken to the Western Regional Hospital in a critical condition and was later transported to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital where he underwent treatment for 8 days. But on Monday December 28th, 29 year old Sanchez succumbed to his injuries. His family is not satisfied that it was an accident and suspect that foul play may have been involved.

Lucilo Teck Has Major Legal Bills
You may remember Lucilo Teck. He’s the veteran cane farmer from Corozal who got attorney Audrey Matura-Shepherd to sue the administrators of the Sugar Cane Industry. He was trying to force The Sugar Industry Control Board to open the 2014-2015 sugar season. Well, he lost that case, and he’s now 30 thousand dollars in the hole for it. As you will remember, there was a standoff in the industry which changed drastically when the Belize Sugar Cane Farmers Association fractured. The dissenters formed 2 other associations and the along with what was left of the BSCFA, they all signed a new agreement with the millers and the stand-off ended. So, that basically rendered Lucilo Teck’s lawsuit inconsequential, but he and his attorney, Audrey Matura-Shepherd decided to go forward with the case anyway. He lost it, and the SICB attorney, Rodwell Williams claimed for $60,000 in legal fees. The court finally resolved the legal cost issue, and it mandated that Teck actually owes $30,000. Well, he says that he can’t pay for it, and yesterday, he went on the WUB Morning Show to ask for help from the general public. Here’s what he had to say on that issue:

A Couple For 1.5 Kilos
37 year-old Ernest Foreman and 28 year-old Samantha Garbutt were taken to court for over 1 and half kilos of marijuana. Police and the K9-Unit conducted a raid on the couple’s house at #4 Casuarina Street in Belize City. That’s where they found a small bit of loose cannabis, and under the flooring of one of the bedrooms, they found 15 plastic bags containing other amounts of weed. When the officers weighed all the drugs, it totaled 1.637 kilos - or 3.6 pounds - of marijuana. They were both arrested and charged with drug trafficking and possession of a controlled drugs, and they were arraigned today before Senior Magistrate Sharon Frazer. They pleaded not guilty to the charges and were released on bail of $5,000. They must return to court on February 26.

Urban Peace Through Eastern Yoga?
Can the meditative art of yoga offer the Southside a remedy for violence? That’s what Yogi Charu thinks. He’s an international yoga master who grew up about a block from our studio on Prince Street. Now, he wants to share his knowledge by offering yoga training and certification for Southside youths between the ages of 14 and 18. He told us more today:.. The programme runs from this month to August of 2016.

Five Years For A Firearm
26 year-old Brian Davis, a labourer of Sandhill Village, is spending his first night of a 5 year prison sentence after he pleaded guilty to being in possession of a unlicensed shotgun. According to Eastern Division Rural Police, they conducted a search of his residence at mile 19 and a half on the Northern Highway just before 8 this morning. Davis and his 26 year-old common-law wife, Luise Meneses, were present at the time of the search, and that’s when police found a 16 gauge shotgun and five16 gauge cartridges. Police charged both of them keeping an unlicensed firearm, and keep unlicensed ammunition, and they were arraigned in Magistrate’s Court today. Davis took the rap and pleaded guilty claiming ownership of the unlicensed shotgun. That allowed his common-law wife to go free after the charges were withdrawn against her, but he got a stiff mandatory minimum sentence. He was handed 5 years for the gun, and 5 years for ammunition, but since both sentences will run concurrently, he will only spend 5 years in jail.

Knowledge Is Safety Say Cops
So far on the news tonight, you’ve seen a lot of southside supercop Chester Williams. And while we asked him about a whole lot of things – the reason we even managed to catch up with him is because he was doing a Southside meet and greet in downtown Belize City. He told us it’s a means of public awareness and crime prevention:… This was the last meet and greet for this year.

Baby Gismael Aban Making Progress
Two days ago, we told you about Baby Gismael Aban, the infant from Corozal who was born without the tube connecting his mouth to his stomach. If it wasn’t fixed with highly specialized surgery not available in Belize, his life would have been short and very painful. Well, World Pediatric Project in Belize made contact with the Virginia Commonwealth University Hospital – which came through big time. They immediately decided to take on his case, and on Boxing Day, they sent a private Jet to fly him from Belize to Virginia. We’re told tonight that as soon as he arrived he underwent his first surgery to ensure that he can get the proper nutrients. Since he has been stabilized, the doctors at VCU Hospital will wait until January 11, to perform a second reconstructive surgery, where they will build him an esophagus that will work in the place of the one he was born without.

#510271 - 12/31/15 11:47 AM Re: Today's Belize News: December 31, 2015 [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Channel 5

Police Say Patrick Grant Was Not Sexually Assaulted
On Sunday, a ninety-three-year-old man was brutally beaten at his home on Fern Lane in Belize City. The vicious attack had the earmarks of a burglary, since Patrick Grant’s twenty-one [...]

3 Men Charged for Murder of Evaristo Bul
In Toledo, charges have been brought against a trio of men, as well as a sixteen-year-old minor, in connection with the murder of fifty-five-year-old Luciano Evaristo Bul.  The farmer was [...]

High Speed Chase in the City Leads to Apprehension of Shooting Suspect
There were shots fired on Curassow Street in Belize City on Monday night, and quick response from Belize City police has led to the arrest of a man who is [...]

Record Low Murders in Southside Belize City in 2015
But don’t take Williams’ word for it, or be impressed by a title bestowed by a random media house. He says that the statistics don’t lie, across the board, and [...]

Are Fuel Providers Gouging Consumers?
At midnight on Sunday, the pump prices of fuel spiked, thanks largely to G.O.B. increasing import duties on Premium, Regular and Diesel. That import duty increase, tacked on to an [...]

Fire Leaves Single Mother and Kids Homeless
A fire on Antelope Street Extension has left a single mother and her two children without a roof over their heads. On Monday night in Belize City, a pair of [...]

Rural Rapid Response Team Makes Firearm Bust
The Rural Eastern Division’s Rapid Response Team has been maintaining operations in the two thousand square miles of the Belize District, targeting narcotics and illegal firearms. They got lucky this [...]

2 Minors Missing from Ladyville Area
At end of day Tuesday, three persons were missing in the Belize District – a sixteen-year-old female from Los Lagos, a sixteen-year-old female from Ladyville and a twenty-two-year old Guatemalan [...]

Fish Cleaner Fined, But Not Confined for Drug Offence
Twenty-three-year-old Michelle Reynard narrowly escaped jail today after appearing before Magistrate Deborah Rogers on a fourth conviction for drug-related offenses.  The fish cleaner who works out of the Conch Shell [...]

Police Take Over Downtown Area in Final 2015 Meet & Greet Exercise
Today, the officers of the Eastern Division South conducted their final meet and greet exercise for 2015. We’ve followed the Police through some of the notorious hotspots in the city [...]

Chester Williams Named ‘Man of the Year’
It isn’t exactly mainstream news or a riveting item, but Chester Williams has been named the man of the year by the Amandala Newspaper. Williams returned from law school earlier [...]

Prison Inmates Clean Up Roaring Creek
An overgrown area of Roaring Creek Village, often used by criminals to escape the reach of local authorities, has been cleared by Belmopan police.  After a recent shooting incident during [...]

International Yoga Teacher in Belize
International Yoga Teacher Yogi Charu is in Belize to schedule trainings for Belize City youths to become yoga teachers in their communities in 2016. Charu, who’s based out of New [...]

Days of Healing Will Provide Youths for Yoga Course
So how will the initiative get the youth to participate? Well that’s where Days of Healing and its Executive Director, Perry “Sticks” Smith comes in. With the organization’s assistance, a [...]

PlusTV

19 year old shot to the arm on Belize City street
A 19 year old was shot in Belize City last night, Monday December 28. 19-year-old Stanley Alexander Flowers of a Belize City address was standing at the corner of Gibnut and Curassow Streets, Belize City along with a friend when two armed male persons fired several shots at him. Flowers was shot ...

15 year old shot in the back on Belize City street
In our evening newscast yesterday, we told you about a late evening shooting that happened in Belize city leaving a 15 year old injured. We did not reveal the name of the victim at the time to give the family time to be informed by the proper authorities. Today, we can report that the victim of yest...

Teenager charged for Lennox Flowers murder
Police have arrested 19-year-old Cecil Ramirez for the Boxing Day murder of 18-year-old Lennox Flowers in Burrell Boom Village. The student at St. John’s Junior College, was formally charged with the murder of Lennox Flowers when he appeared today before Senior Magistrate Sharon Fraser. She ex...

Man arrested for burglary in brutal beating of senior citizen
Yesterday, we also told you about the savage beating of 93-year-old Patrick Grant when someone entered his Belize City home to steal his television set. Grant was at home sleeping at the time when he was awakened by a loud bang and his front door opened. Upon making checks, he was confronted by a ma...

Organizations speak up about crimes against senior citizens
And in relation to that burglary and aggravated assault of a senior citizen, National Council on Ageing has issued a press release condemning the latest criminal attacks on senior citizens reported, and so has Helpage Belize. NCA says that this latest incident “highlights the vulnerability of older ...

Franklin Graham visits Belize for Samaritan’s Purse
The Son of Dr. Billy Graham, Rev. Franklin Graham was in Belize today; on the island of Caye Caulker to be specific. Franklin is the president and CEO of Samaritan’s Purse, a Christian humanitarian ministry dedicated to ministering to the needy. Operation Christmas Child, specifically, is a mi...

Police foil major planned robbery in Ladyville
Intelligence and timely intervention by Ladyville Police stopped plans for a major robbery expected to have taken place in the next two days in the village. The operation involved a hot pursuit by the Rural Rapid Response team of a dark Hyundai Santa Fe vehicle with no license plates. The Highway Pa...

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

ADO bus involved in fatal traffic accident in Orange Walk
There has been a traffic accident on the Phillip Goldson Highway involving an ADO bus traveling to Mexico. Information is still sketchy as officers are still processing the scene but BMG understands that the incident occurred around9:30 tonight along the highway before reaching Carmelita as it […]

Brian Davis of Sandhill sentenced for firearm
Twenty-six year old Brian Davis, a laborer of Sandhill, was sentenced to 10 years today by Senior Magistrate Sharon Fraser after he pled guilty to kept firearm and ammunition without a gun license. Davis was sentenced to 5 years each for the firearm and the […]

Chester Williams is Amandala “Man of the Year”; pays tribute
The Amandala newspaper has named Senior Superintendent of Police Chester Williams as its Man of the Year for his work in reducing crime, especially murder, on the Southside of Belize City in the second half of 2015. Since he took office in July in a triumvirate with […]

David Nanes Schnitzer’s bail is revoked
The bail for international fugitive David Nanes Schnitzer tonight stands revoked, over a month after he was granted bail. Justice Herbert Lord this afternoon upheld an application to that effect made by the Office of the Director of Public Prosecution. The Crown, led by prosecutor Kileru Awich […]

KREM prepares for New Years’ Day Cycling Classic
On Friday our colleagues at KREM Radio and Television will host the 26th New Year’s Day Cycling Classic from Belize’s Northern Border to the Central American Boulevard at its Junction with Mahogany Street in Belize City. So far, 65 Elite riders have registered for the 90-mile race. The […]

Missing Guatemalan woman resurfaces in Belmopan
Yesterday we brought you the appeal of 68-year-old American businessman David Edgar of Vista del Mar over his missing 22-year-old fiancée Mindy Jordan Espino. He said she left home on December 11th to visit her grandmother in Belmopan and would also make a trip to her native Rio […]

People’s United Party race toward National Convention
The People’s United Party (PUP) is moving toward its National Convention scheduled for Belmopan on January 31, 2016. Yesterday, Tuesday, the final list of voting delegates for the Convention was produced. Party Chairman, Henry Charles Usher, says that all thirty-one constituencies and the various party […]

Motorcyclist dies in bizarre accident
It was reported by Anna Lizette Sanchez that her brother, 29-year-old Eddy Alberto Sanchez of Buena Vista village, was involved in a traffic accident and had to be rushed to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH) on Saturday, December 19th around 5:00 p.m. Police then investigated the matter and found out that Eddy was riding his Meilun 125cc Motorcycle into the compound of Belize Concrete Ltd, when upon turning off the highway into the compound, located on the outskirts of Spanish Lookout, Cayo District, he collided into a cable wire used as a barrier for the compound, which was hung across the road. […]

Belmopan man charged for 21 grams of weed
While conducting an anti-drug operation in Belmopan City on December 19th, the police’s Special Branch Tactical Response Squad executed a search at the residence of 30-year-old Alden Forte on the strength of a warrant for illegal drugs and firearms. Upon arrival at the Baboon […]

Fuel prices drop
Fuel prices have dipped but only for regular gasoline and Kerosene. As of midnight on December 29th the prices in Belize City for Regular Gasoline dropped by 32 cents to $8.30 per gallon. Kerosene decreased 10 cents to $4.48 per gallon. In a release issued today, government […]

Fair weather to continue
The National Meteorological service of Belize calls for a relatively moist and gusty south-easterly air flow to prevail. The 24-hour forecast is for cloudy spells at times with a few showers mainly along the coast and over the northern and central areas of the country. Winds blow […]

Blogs

Seven Steps to Sustainable Community Capacity Building
Community development participants often find themselves engaged in relatively short-term work, focused on particular issues such as improving housing conditions, advancing road safety at school crossings, or protecting aspects of the environment such as campaigns around river, air pollution or greenhouse gas inventories. Community groups which form around these kinds of issues may be quite short-lived and fade away again after a campaign has been successful. These constitute communities of interest or issue-based communities which are usually focused upon a particular issue and look for a particular kind of expert practitioner to resolve the issue of concern. These kinds of community development activities are not usually designed to engage a large number of community members – the stakeholders for the particular concern are generally small in number compared to the size of the entire community – and there is not much thought given to the development of community capacity at the conclusion of the particular project. Thus, if another similar problem is encountered by the community down-the-road the process of expert consultant involvement is repeated and the project design turns out to be about the same as before.

Is Your Belize Resort Located in Placencia Village or on the Placencia Peninsula?
If you’re looking at a detailed map of Belize, you will spot a finger of land that–depending upon whose distance numbers you believe–runs between 14 and 16 miles due south of a town called Riversdale. That’s approximately where the Peninsula of Placencia veers away from the mainland. Once a thriving fishing paradise, it’s now awash in villages, resorts and attractions, some facing the Caribbean Sea and others facing the lagoon that separates the cape from the mainland. If you drive the length of the peninsula and reach the southern-most point, you’ll wind up at the Village of Placencia. Since Placencia Village is at the tip of the peninsula, you must pass Maya Beach and Seine Bight Village to reach it. You may only have to follow the crowd! This area is starting to compete with Ambergris Caye for the affections of repeat visitors. On your drive to the village, you’ll pass some of the most luxurious accommodations Belize has to offer, so when you book your lodgings before you leave home, show your resort host how smart you are by double checking to confirm that it’s located in Placencia Village rather than “on the peninsula.” Thanks to a paved 16-mile-long road that passes primary tourism centers that link peninsula villages, you can stay on Maya Beach, Seine Bight or Placencia Village. With the Placencia Lagoon on your right (yup, there’s that name again), pass groves of mangroves edging blue waters beginning at Riversdale as you travel south. Spot the Maya mountains, Cockscomb Range where protected wildlife roam free and you can’t miss a string of offshore islands in varying sizes. Most are uninhabited, but they make for lush scenery as you travel to your resort. Maya Beach, a once sleepy community now home to condominiums being snapped up by ex-pats seeking the good life may be your destination, but more likely, the next community is. In Seine Bight, award-winning resort properties like Laru Beya and Roberts Grove are heavily booked year-round and since this village is home to Belize’s colorful Garifuna population, in addition to luxury digs, get your culture fix here, too. If you’ve booked in Placencia Village, top choices are Turtle Inn or the Turtle Inn (the Francis Ford Coppola Resort). Expect to be spoiled by the staff, resort food and the amenities at either of these resorts.

How to Make Baked Beans from Scratch
How to make baked beans from scratch. No canned pork and beans. Spicy, sweet and comforting.

Christmas on La Isla Bonita
Last year I went to New York for Christmas and it was a lot different than what I’m used to in Belize. It was really cold, there was so much traffic, huge buildings and so many pretty lights at night. I was hoping to see snow while I was there, but maybe next time. It was a really fun trip, but today I want to talk to you about Christmas in Belize. This Christmas I stayed home and we started the day with presents and family brunch, pretty much like many families do. The fun started when it was time to leave the house. Instead of putting on boots and a bunch of other clothes, we just put on our flip-flops, grabbed the beach towels, got on the boat and head to the beach. There is no snow on our little island, but we didn’t let that stop us, we built a little man out of sand instead. My favorite part about our family picnic was making s’mores and of course eating them. I guess it doesn’t matter where you spend Christmas as long as you’re with people you love. That is how we spend Christmas on my little island.

How Belizeans celebrate New Years
Most families bring in the New Year together counting down the clock while enjoying family dinners. New Year’s being an extended part of the end-of-year holiday season calls for delicious plates and while there are many to choose from, in Belize, turkey dinners and relleno are two of the favorites. In many cases the family prepares the food together as a bonding experience, passing tradition from one generation to the next. During this time of the year huge pots of rice and beans, or relleno soup bubble on the stove and the succulent aroma fills the air. What would a New Year’s celebration be without fireworks? Every year there is a firework show to bring in the New Year and many come out to the parks near the seaside to view the spectacle. Fire works can also be seen from many homes so there is no need to travel far to see the celebration in the sky. Of course, many children and adults celebrate the New Year with their own fireworks, dynamites and sparkles. It is a tradition that around this time of year there are constant non-stop bursts of “cuetes” as they are called. New Year’s Day in Belize is celebrated as a day of recreation throughout the country. Some people spend the day socializing with family and friends while others flock the horse racing fields; one popular area for this is in Burrel Boom. Another popular recreational activity is the Krem’s New Year ’s Day Cycling Classic. This cycling race starts in Corozal and ends in Belize City.

International Sourcesizz

OAS calls deal on Cuban migrants “a giant step forward”
The Organization of American States (OAS) has welcomed an agreement that will allow Cuban migrants who have been stranded in Costa Rica to continue their journey into the United States. Secretary General Luis Almagro, who said he has followed the process closely, described it as “a giant step forward”. Under an agreement reached on Monday in Guatemala by Mexico and six Central American countries, from next month the Cubans will be airlifted to El Salvador and put on buses to cross Guatemala into Mexico and cross the border into the US to take advantage of America’s ‘wet foot dry foot policy’ which allows Cuban migrants who arrive on land to enter the country and apply for residency. About 7,000 Cuban migrants had travelled to Ecuador through Colombia and Panama and into Costa Rica but had been blocked from entering Nicaragua.

Caribbean ocean governance capacity to be boosted
The Caribbean Regional Fisheries Mechanism (CRFM) and the International Ocean Institute (IOI) this month signed a new five-year memorandum of understanding (MoU) to extend their longstanding cooperation towards building the capacity of Caribbean fisheries and marine resource management professionals in ocean governance. The partnership between the CRFM and IOI started in 2004 and it has provided nearly 40 Caribbean nationals access to high-level, specialized training and capacity-building support at IOI-Dalhousie University every year since then. The renewed cooperation agreement, signed for the CRFM by executive director Milton Haughton and for IOI by managing director of its Malta headquarters, Antonella Vassallo, ensures that Caribbean nationals will continue to receive expert training on ocean governance: policy, law and management at the Canada-based institute.

Add adrenaline to a beach vacation and save the Belize Barrier Reef by hunting lionfish
A school of shimmering silver jack had just glided by overhead as I crested the reef, where a trio of tall orange sponges rose toward an outcropping of coral and a pair of purple sea fans framed the opening of a dark nook. My heart raced and my breath quickened, a rush of bubbles streaming upward as I caught sight of my prey. The billowy fins, the showy spikes shooting from its spine, the majestic stripes flowing into the distinctive mane. The lionfish. It hovered carelessly in the pristine, bath-warm waters, this sea creature of local legend. I raised an arm, stretched a small piece of elastic cord, and sent a spear through the back of its head. Success! Death at 60 feet below the surface. I was now more than just a scuba diver. I was a trained killer. On a recent visit to a stunning atoll about 35 miles east of Belize City, the divemasters — and the national government — all but implored us to kill this magnificent monster. Although the lionfish is a beauty, they’ll tell you, it is an invader to the Caribbean Sea, a scourge on the Belize Barrier Reef, the second largest in the world.

Suffolk’s Katy Sealy not giving up on representing Belize at Olympic Games in Rio
The 25-year-old heptathlete and ex-Farlingaye High School pupil, who qualifies for Belize through her father, remains hopeful of competing in Rio next August, but admits she remains in the dark over her destiny. In the meantime, Bawdsey-based Sealy finds herself in a rich vein of form and is desperate to make it as difficult as possible for the Belizean Olympic hierarchy to overlook her achievements. After three months of winter training, Sealy recently competed in the high jump and long jump at Brunel University, securing a personal best in the latter, and also won the South of England Senior Women’s Indoor pentathlon on Sunday, landing pb’s in both the 60m hurdles and high jump. Her high jump score also saw her set a new Belizean record. “I don’t know what the situation is (regarding the Olympics), but I am keeping in touch with the people in Belize and letting them know what I am doing,” said Sealy,

Belize tilapia farm gains ASC certification
A tilapia farm in Belize, run by Fein Catch, is the first farm of its kind the country to gain ASC certification. The ASC programme has certified nearly 2000 farms across 23 countries in the past year, with almost 100 more currently in assessment. Chris Ninnes, CEO of ASC, said: “I would like to congratulate Fein Catch on their certification. This is a great example of the diversity of the farms engaged in our programme.” He continued: “This year, we have seen the ASC programme grow rapidly and we look forward to more producers in Central America and beyond coming on board and making a commitment to responsible aquaculture."

Teacher’s holiday travels go awry
A Kennewick, Wash., substitute teacher’s backpacking trip to Central America went smoothly until she tried to leave Belize City on Dec. 23 with visions of spending Christmas at home dancing in her head. What happened next sent the 28-year-old solo traveler back into the night in a Third World city and then on a roundabout journey that delayed her return by a couple days. Krista Williams, a Washington State University Tri-Cities grad student who substitute teaches in Kennewick middle and high schools, said the trouble began when she used her debit card to pay for her round-trip ticket on Delta Airlines for her winter break adventure. She chose Central America largely based on low air fares to and from Belize. She knew nothing about her destination but trusted her own experience trekking through out-of-the-way spots to carry her through. She left the Tri-Cities on Dec. 15, toting a credit card and passport, but not her debit card. She spent more than a week trekking through Belize and Guatemala, an experience she called “awesome.” When it was time to head home, she arrived at the Belize airport well in advance of her Dec. 23 return flight. Expecting a routine flight, she was startled when an airline worker demanded she produce the debit card she had used to pay for the ticket. When she couldn’t, the official said she couldn’t board her flight and moved on to the next customer in line. “They blew me off,” she said. After four hours and one missed flight, the airline told her she could buy a new ticket for the equivalent of $600, twice the cost of her original ticket. Figuring that she would be out “only” $300 when her original airfare was refunded, she reluctantly took the deal and arranged to fly home Christmas Eve. Nervous about venturing out into the night in Belize City alone, she shelled out more money for a hotel that offered shuttle service to the airport.

14 stunning places where you can sleep in a treehouse
If we've learned anything from our travels around the world, it is to expect the unexpected. Hotels are no longer just hotels, where you book a generic room with a crummy view and spend the night. Many have begun catering to guests craving adventure by offering experience stays that are just as much about helping to create a unique memory as they are about providing a roof over your head. One such trend in this category that has really taken off is treehouse stays. Whether the property offers exclusively treehouse accommodations, or instead it features one or two treehouse-inspired retreats, hotels in the trees are a real thing these days — and many travelers seek them out. So to make this search a bit easier, we found 14 stunning treehouse hotels that you'll definitely want to visit in 2016. Portofino Beach Resort, Belize: Owners Jan and Sandra opened this romantic hideaway in 2001, and today it has 16 rooms (many cabana-style units with thatched roofs, including the aptly named Treetop Suite) and one massive option for families and groups. The room decor is a mix of Belizean and Guatemalan textiles and furnishings, and the ambiance is unpretentious (the owners call the vibe "barefoot elegance").

Caribbean states build capacity in ocean governance
The Caribbean Regional Fisheries Mechanism (CRFM) and the International Ocean Institute (IOI) this month signed a new 5-year memorandum of understanding (MoU) to extend their longstanding cooperation towards building the capacity of Caribbean fisheries and marine resource management professionals in ocean governance. The partnership between the CRFM and IOI started in 2004 and it has provided nearly 40 Caribbean nationals access to high-level, specialized training and capacity-building support at IOI-Dalhousie University every year since then. The renewed cooperation agreement, signed for the CRFM by Executive Director Milton Haughton and for IOI by Managing Director of its Malta headquarters, Antonella Vassallo, ensures that Caribbean nationals will continue to receive expert training on Ocean Governance: Policy, Law and Management at the Canada-based institute.

Videos

• Patrick Jones Ailment, 8min. TNC Executive Director takes leave of absence for medical reasons.

• Belize 2015 video, 13min. St. Johns, Bill Schaefer House

• Belize Air Boat Ride,1.5 min. Belize City, Belize 12/2/2015 Airboat ride and lunch on the docks.

• Belize 2015 Part 2 of 5: Caye Caulker Scuba Diving, 4.5min. Scuba Diving in Caye Caulker Channel, Black Corral Wall and Mini Elbow. Thanks to Frenchie's Diving for the good Time!

• Mein Erster Eindruck von San Pedro, Belize, 2.5min. Das ist mein erster Eindruck von San Pedro, Belize in der Karibik...

• Franklin Graham in Belize, 2.5min.

• Belize, 19min.

• Belize city travel video guide., 4.5min.

• Belize Aggressor III, 13.5min. Diving in Belize

• Honeymoon 2015 - Honduras, Belize, Mexico, 3min. Some clips of my Honeymoon to Honduras, Belize and Mexico, all filmed with a GoPro Hero 4 Silver.

• Jon & Liz 's Adventure through Belize, 20min.

• Franklin Graham visits Belize for Samaritan’s Purse, 2.5min.

• Cozumel and Belize 2015, 10min. Royal Caribbean: Independence of the Seas.

• Snorkling in Belize 2015, 2.5min. Shark Ray Alley, Ambergris Caye

• Fly Fishing Belize, 4.5min. Fly Fishing Footage from our first Belize trip.

• Diving in Belize, 4min. Footage from my time spent diving in various places around Belize including the Great Blue Hole.

• Belize July 2015, 8min.

• Belize, la splendeur des Mayas, 45min. N'oubliez pas de vous abonnez pour ne pas rater les nouvelles documentaires.

• Podziemne miasta Belize Podziemie Majów [Lektor PL][Film Dokumentalny], 80min.

Links
    Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
    Daily News
    Daily Weather

Classified Ads
    BelizeNews.com
    San Pedro Sun
    Ambergris Today
    SP Town Council
    Channel 7
    Channel 5
    Amandala
    Love FM
    The Reporter
    Caye Caulker
    Chronicles

PLUS TV
    TV Newscasts
    Radio Stations

Click for our
    Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
    Event Calendar
    Specials & Events
    Things to Do
    SanPedroScoop
    iTravel Belize
    Paradise Theater

Blogs
    San Pedro Scoop!
    Tia Chocolate
    Tacogirl
    My Beautiful Belize
    I-Travel Belize
    Belize Adventure
    Belize Hub
    Romantic Travel
    Bound for Belize
    Conch Creative
    As The Coconuts Drop
    More Blogs...
    Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
    Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
    White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
    Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
    We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
    Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
    Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
    Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
    Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
    Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
    More Links
    Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
    December
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30 31
    Who's Online
    1 registered (1 invisible), 37 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Stats
    18,672 Registered Members
    44 Forums
    64,021 Topics
    462,211 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
    BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
    BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
    BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
    and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.