Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#510565 01/11/16 02:57 PM
Z
zing Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I'm gonna be on Ambergris in two weeks, and will be stayin' in San Pedro for 9 days. Is it gonna be any problem findin' small local food stands to eat at without payin' tourist prices. Any suggestions on area in town to go find them. Will have a cart to get around. thanks

zing #510566 01/11/16 03:32 PM
Local food stands and restaurants are available all over the downtown core. Street meat stands tend to come out at night and on weekends. Central park usually has a street meat vendor or two during the day, but you are gambling with toilet time. Chinese and local take out is easy to find downtown. The exception is there are not any cheap local food stands north of the bridge nor in the southern portion of the Island.

www.sanpedrobreeze.com
San Pedro's #1 Hit Music Station!
zing #510567 01/11/16 04:40 PM
South of town you can find Antojitos, a really good local food joint that serves breakfast and lunch, Robin's Kitchen, a wonderful roadside jerk/bbq chicken place with the loveliest owner, Lakeside Deli, just across from the lake on Mar del Tumbo Road (turn right if your'e going south, just past Banyan Bay and the deli is about 100' on your left) for good quality and cheap local food and just before you get to Marina's, on your right, going south, you'll find a good taco stand, with tasty cheap tacos and a bbq chicken stand. Oh and if you ask for directions, you'll be able to find La Davina Providencia, a local favourite for some really good meals at local prices. It's a bit further south than the others mentioned. They also serve local food at local prices, some very good meals, at Pinocchio's at lunchtime. Again, you'll just want to ask directions. It's a bit further north than the others mentioned. Enjoy!

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Originally Posted by San Pedro Breeze Radio
Local food stands and restaurants are available all over the downtown core. Street meat stands tend to come out at night and on weekends. Central park usually has a street meat vendor or two during the day, but you are gambling with toilet time. Chinese and local take out is easy to find downtown. The exception is there are not any cheap local food stands north of the bridge nor in the southern portion of the Island.

so you are saying that daytime vendors are more suspect than evenng/late night? For the record, we've never had any issues with evening/late night vendors.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
zing #510570 01/11/16 05:58 PM
S
S
I'll second that, I've never had a problem with street vendor food.

zing #510571 01/11/16 08:59 PM
Clarification:
South of town referring to the southern portion of the island past Wasa where the paved road ends.

As far as the street food vendors - KLC is a self admitted caveman and therefore his stomach can probably handle anything, but for the rest of us....

Meat and poultry held for over two hours outside of the safe zone (40 - 140 degrees) can cause big problems.

Handling money and then finished food without soap and running water for proper hand washing can cause meningitis and a host of other ailments.

Most of the time you'll be alright but be observant and use your good common sense and judgement.

www.sanpedrobreeze.com
San Pedro's #1 Hit Music Station!
zing #510580 01/12/16 05:54 AM
Try The Office for good food at reasonable prices. On the water, back side of town.
Also,Celei's Deli, Ruby's coffee shop and any of the open air taco stands in town.
Highly recommend the take-put rotisserie chicken at Waraguma. You can get half a chicken, tortillas and pico de gallo for $10 BZ and it is outstanding.

zing #510582 01/12/16 06:24 AM
I can attest to the fact klcman typically has enough alcohol in his system that acts as an antibiotic. I similarly have had no problems with street food and likely for similar reasons

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
zing #510584 01/12/16 07:32 AM
L
L
Collette has some of Dennis' favorites on her list and do not forget, right behind Belikin/Crystal, over by Caribbean Depot, a place that has some very unique to Belize foods including wild game. My Secret Deli has a very good, inexpensive breakfast right downtown, Shelley's place beside Superbuy for waffles and Harry's across the street from Fido's is great for a fast, cheap breakfast or burger.
Diane Campbell has some good suggestions, especially Celi's deli where you can take your food across the street and eat it at the Holiday while sitting on the deck watching the reef.
Always get rice and beans and BBQ from the various places selling it on the weekends, most of them are wonderful.
The nighttime taco stands. It is very different for someone who lives here to sample the local cuisine than it is for a tourist coming for vacation and eating the local street meat. Different tolerances to illnesses, whether airborne or food borne. I recall Drummer Dan and I getting getting deathly ill from vendor food, and our drummer after that, David and I also had a very bad episode from the one across from Tropic on the little street going down to The Office. I don't leave stuff on my counter and I don't eat where the kitchen else does either. But I agree, the park on weekends has enough food moving through that spot to keep the meats and mayonnaise from spoiling and really, nobody should miss 3am dining at the middle of San Pedro.

zing #510617 01/13/16 07:36 AM
My favorite place North is Ak Bols, good cheap food & very cool bar on the beach.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 267 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.