Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#510632 01/13/16 03:10 PM
M
mloosli Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello everyone!

I am going to be traveling with three other adults, and an infant, during the last two weeks of May. I really would love to see some of the Cayes and Atolls. None of us have ever been to Belize, and have no experience sailing. I am unsure of how long it takes to get from Caye to Caye. Is it possible to travel from Caye Caulker to Laughing Bird Caye in one day? stopping for a quick swim or picnic lunch on a few of the Cayes in between?

As for travel outside the reef, the infant is my little one, and so safety is my top priority. Is it too rough to travel outside the reef with an infant?

I apologize if any of these questions seem ignorant, I just have no idea. I've travelled on a boat once to go and see dolphins and in the same amount of time, we covered more distance than you could by car, not sure if that is always the case (or just because I live somewhere that is constantly congested with traffic.)

Thanks so much.

S
S
Just out of interest I ran it through my Navionics App... Caye Caulker to Laughing Bird Caye is 85 Nautical Miles and at a sailing speed of 6.5 knots would take 13.5 hours each way non-stop. By powerboat running at 30 knots it would be 3 hours each way but you would have no internal organs by the time you were done.

Google Earth is a very handy tool that will allow you to see most of the waters of Belize and also by using the measuring tool you can estimate distances.

Trips to the atolls are very expensive if it's just for a swim due to the high cost of fuel.

If you want to do day trips from Caye Caulker I suggest contacting Raggamuffin Tours.

M
mloosli Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you so much! I tried to use Google Maps, it wouldn't calculate a distance for me. I appreciate the info you shared, I now have a good frame of reference when I am looking at the map, and I realize my time estimates for travel to each Caye were not realistic. Also, I will check out Raggamuffin smile

All the best!

S
S
Google Maps won't cut it for distances you need the Google Earth app or download. https://www.google.com/earth/explore/products/

M
mloosli Offline OP
OP Offline
M
i am downloading it smile Thanks again! smile

M
mloosli Offline OP
OP Offline
M
btw, is 6.5 Knots average speed for sailing?

S
S
Depends on the boat. That's what we use for our cats as an average speed assuming 15 knots of wind. I've hit 16 at times and 0 at others on large cats, 25+ on windsurfers. Racing sailboats tag 30+ at times, not that we have any here.

M
mloosli Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks again.

I have done a little more research and I am beginning to understand the amount of time that it will take to travel around. I contacted Raggamuffin tours because I have always really wanted to sail/ island hop via boat, I will have a 13 month infant with me and so the tour company won't allow us as passengers. I was also planning on traveling from Caye Caulker to Placencia via that tour.

Would you happen to know another way to travel to Placencia from Caye Caulker? or is catching the ferry to Belize City and then the bus to Placencia the only way?

S
S
Bus, fly, car rental or Raggamuffin is the only way to get from Caye Caulker to Placencia and Raggamuffin is correct that the trip would not be suitable for a 13 month infant.

Originally Posted by mloosli
Thanks again.

I have done a little more research and I am beginning to understand the amount of time that it will take to travel around. I contacted Raggamuffin tours because I have always really wanted to sail/ island hop via boat, I will have a 13 month infant with me and so the tour company won't allow us as passengers. I was also planning on traveling from Caye Caulker to Placencia via that tour.

Would you happen to know another way to travel to Placencia from Caye Caulker? or is catching the ferry to Belize City and then the bus to Placencia the only way?

Flying from Belize City to Placencia offers amazing views of the country. Mountains, jungle, orange groves, rivers, seaside and cayes. It is breathtakingly beautiful.
Driving from Belize City to Placencia includes time on the stunning Hummingbird Highway. That is one of the most beautiful drives on the planet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.