FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Letter to the Editor: Amanda Syme thanks the San Pedro High School
Re: Donation towards Blanca Velasquez journey to Malaysia Dear Mr. Vasquez and San Pedro High School As a proud graduate of the San Pedro High School (Class of 1983) I take great pleasure in thanking you for the very much appreciated kind donation of five hundred dollars ($500) made in support of Blanca Velasquez’s participation in the International Sailing Federation’s Youth World Championship 2015. Blanca has been working for many years towards finally achieving her goal of attending this international event which was held in Langkawi, Malaysia over the Christmas and New Year’s break.

Wolfe’s Woofer: How I was Born?
When Melody called me, she asked, “Are you going to be home for a while?” “Sure. What do you need?” “Davin needs some help with his homework. I told him you could help him.” Davin rode up on his bike. He took out his notebook and pencil and sat on the porch with me. “Grandpa, I’m writing a paper for school and I need to ask you some questions.” “No problem,” I answered. “Ask me anything.” “Where did I come from?” Davin asked. “Hunh? Oh, you were born right here in San Pedro.” “No. I mean how was I born?”

Police Report
*On Thursday, January 7th, at 9AM, a team of San Pedro Police conducted a search at the residence of 52-year-old Tiburcio Ivan Staines in the Tres Cocos Area of San Pedro Town. The search led to the discovery of a red plastic coffee bottle containing a total of 118.2 grams of a green leafy substance suspected to be cannabis.
*San Pedro Police have assisted in the capture of alleged murderer Albert Valentine, also known as ‘None’. Valentine was being sought out by Punta Gorda Police in the investigations of the murder of 19-year-old Jarrel Pop. Police believe Valentine brutally chopped and stabbed Pop to death then threw his body inside a well.

Doctor Love: Relationships
Dear Doctor Love, I am twenty-six years old and my husband is twenty-five. We are married five years with two children. I love my husband but for the last two years I have not had any interest in sex. This has been going on for a while and I have put it down in the past as because I just had a baby or because I have gained weight and do not feel pretty like I used to. I enjoy it when it happens but I don’t think of it like I used to. My husband loves me but he says I am too young to lose interest like this. I am afraid that if I don’t change he will look for it someplace else. I just don’t know what to do. /s/ Too Young

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

“Blackadore Caye – A Restorative Island” Conducts Public Consultation on Drafted EIA
Blackadore Caye is an ultra-luxury eco-resort to be developed on approximately 104 acres of land situated between Ambergris Caye and mainland Belize. The developers propose to develop 41.4% of the acreage on the island with 58.6% being left untouched as conservation zones. The development also proposes to construct facilities on the island that is divided into four (4) program zone components each characterised by a distinct set of structures and amenities including: (1) the Blackadore Village, (2) the Hotel Suites and Bungalows, (3) the Estate Homes and (4) the Clubhouse and Services / Pantry (Oasis Station). The estimated investment size of the project is approximately USD $250 million seeking to generate in excess of 170 jobs in Belize. On Thursday, January 15th, 2016, the National Environmental Appraisal Committee (NEAC) visited Blackadore Caye, owned by American Actor, Leonardo DiCaprio, in assessing the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for the multi-million dollar eco-resort investment in Belize. The EIA was also presented by the developers to the island community of San Pedro Town at the Lion’s Den as a part of the public consultation process. Further updates on the next steps of the project based on the EIA and public consultation will be communicated from NEAC via the Department of Environment (DOE) in the weeks to come.

Music tonight on Caye Caulker
TOMMY playing easy listening music tonight, Monday January the 18th at Il Baretto Wine Bar @ Oasi Apartments on Back Street from 7 to 9pm! Original songs, and classic country, new wave and acoustic rock covers!

Belikin Stout Domino Tournament
The Belikin Stout Domino Tournament is next month. The playoffs in Cayo are in Benque on the 6th, and Belmopan on the 7th.

THE DAY OF TRIUMPH: REMEMEBRING A BELIZEAN CULTURAL LEGEND!
The true heroes behind our music are really those first Garifuna fighters who in the 18th. Century on the island of Yurume, St. Vincent, stood up against slavery, colonization, and cultural domination. (Andy Palacio) Those were the passionate words that a spiritually uplifted Andy Palacio uttered at the World Music Expo, WOMEX, in reception of the internationally acclaimed music prize in Spain in October 2007. He had finally culminated his cultural and musical crusade for the Garifuna people, and laid the seal to the mission to which he was called. The work of this incredible personality in Belizean history was a life that was lived and not preached. His was the life of a splendid character, whom if you had got to know him and the beliefs that embodied and drove his way of life, was the epitome of a humble cultural revolutionary. He was a man from the inception of his career who had a vision to change the present status quo of what today we call Belizean culture and music. He was the quiet warrior, sometimes quite unpredictable, who sacrificed most of his life for a cause that he truly believed in, the liberation of the Garinagu.

The Reporter

KHMH staff gets A&E training
A medical team from the United States is in Belize to conduct professional development training with the staff of the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH). The team, which came from Wisconsin, comprises four physicians, two nurses and a paramedic technician. Over the course of their stay they will conduct various presentations, as well as on-site sessions in the emergency rooms with the doctors, nurses and support staff of the KHMH. Christine Feierstein, a registered nurse and emergency room educator, explained that the training cooperation has been in place since 2014. She said that while this is their third visit to Belize, as a part of this arrangement, each visit has focused on a different area of healthcare. ‘Overall, the main focus is on trauma care and being able to strengthen the skills of the staff in that area,’ Feierstein said. ‘We’ve been trying to emphasize communication between the KHMH and the ambulance staff, because care actually begins before they reach the hospital.’

American news producer strangled but not raped, police say
The Belize Police Department has confirmed that 39-year-old Anne Swaney, an American news producer found dead in the Cayo district on Thursday, was not sexually assaulted before she was strangled to death. ‘A post mortem examination was performed and revealed her cause of death to be asphyxia due to compression of the neck area, throttling and blunt force traumatic injuries to the head and neck. There were no signs of sexual assault as part of this examination,’ the police said in a press release. The Department added that it is committed to bringing swift justice to whoever committed the murder. Anne Swaney, an executive producer for the media house ABC-7 in Chicago USA, had only been on vacation in Belize for a few days when she was murdered. She was staying at the Farm Resort in Benque Viejo del Carmen, Cayo between miles 71 and 72 on the George Price Highway.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Cold front will support cool and relatively dry conditions
The National Meteorological Service of Belize is predicting mostly clear and cool weather tonight with little or no rainfall and similar conditions tomorrow. Winds will be blowing from the North-Northwest at 10-20 knots and the sea state will be moderate to rough. Operators of small craft are advised to exercise caution. High temperatures today are expected around 80 degrees Fahrenheit along the coast; 84 degrees Fahrenheit inland and a comfortable 72 degrees Fahrenheit up at the exposed areas of the Mountain Pine Ridge and along the Maya Mountains in the south.

Orange Walk police investigating murder
Sometime around 10:30 this morning in the Orange Walk district, police were alerted of a body found. Police then visited an area near Indian Church Village on the San Carlos road, where a lifeless, nude and chopped up body was seen in an abandoned concrete structure. The body, which was not identified until a short while ago, is said to be that of Francisco Arrevalo, a resident of Indian Church Village, who was viciously chopped to the back of the head and left arm, almost severing it from his body.

Blogs

Belize’s First SERIOUS Deli: The Farm House Deli in Belmopan
The Farm House Deli opening in December of 2015…and I’ve been dying to visit it. But it is 70 miles away, on the mainland, in Belize’s capital city of Belmopan. I stopped in a few weeks ago but they are currently closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. I carefully chose my passport pick-up time to eat some pastrami. I sat down at the table and was given a menu. The staff here is SOOO good. Each counter you approach, someone asks you if you have questions, do you want a taste some cheese or some smoked fish? You could spend a very long time in here. I decided, at Ian’s recommendation, to have it with the pastrami. And GOOD LORD WAS IT GOOD. Enough for two hungry people for sure. But I wasn’t taking half in a to-go container to get all mushy on the bus ride home.

2016 Best Honeymoon Destinations - Top 10 Romantic Hotels and Resorts in Belize
With a warm, tropical climate and pristine white beaches, Belize is the ultimate setting for a perfect honeymoon. With affordable luxuries and a wide variety of exciting opportunities to explore the rainforest, go snorkeling or scuba diving at the largest barrier reef in the Western Hemisphere, or simply soak in the sun while lounging on a hammock strung between palm trees, Belize is becoming a top destination for honeymooners. Below are the top 10 romantic resorts and hotels to enjoy a wonderful honeymoon in Belize:

International Sourcesizz

Following Murder, Is Belize Safe for Tourists?
A Chicago woman was murdered last week while on vacation in Belize, according to local law enforcement. Anne Swaney, 39, an executive producer for ABC7 Chicago online, was found dead on Friday morning with injuries consistent with being strangled. She had been traveling in the Central American country alone and was staying at a horse farm close to the border with Guatemala when she was killed. Sadly, Swaney isn’t the only tourist in recent years to be murdered in the country. Lynn Nichiporowich, a 57-year-old Vancouver native, was stabbed to death in October 2013 in the remote village of Consejo. And earlier this month Canadian filmmaker Matthiew Klinck was found dead in the doorway to his home in Spanish Lookout, Belize. He had also been stabbed. After such horrific, repeated incidents, many travelers are left wondering: Is Belize safe? Belize is a small country on the eastern coast of Central America, with beautiful beaches and lush, dense jungle that is teeming with wildlife. But along with its overwhelming natural beauty, Belize has one of the highest murder rates on earth, with 44.7 murders per 100,000 of the population, according to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. Only Honduras and Venezuela are worse.

One Man In Custody For ABC Chicago Producer's Death; Police Still In Search For Killer After Autopsy Revealed
An executive producer of ABC Chicago was killed while vacationing in Belize. Authorities are still looking for the murder despite having one man in custody, who has not been cooperative. The autopsy has also been released as per the producer's cause of death. In a report by ABC News, the official autopsy stated that the producer, identified as Anne Swaney, died from asphyxia due to compression on the neck area, throttling, and blunt force traumatic injuries to the head and neck region. The body of Swaney was found floating face down in the Mopan River on Friday morning. Meanwhile, a Guatamelan fisherman was in custody on Friday. He reportedly entered the country illegally. As per reports of NBC, he was in the area to fish but the only thing that police found on him was a knife. There have been no charges against the unidentified man, who police say has been uncooperative in the investigation. Rafael Martinez, a spokesman for the Belize Ministry of National Security, said in a statement, "He is a person of interest. He is a person who the police believe can assist in the investigation."

Vessel visiting Belize reports armed robbery and sexual assault
Last Wednesday, an unidentified launch came alongside a visiting vessel at anchor off Middle Long Cay, Belize, while everyone aboard was asleep. Four men in the 20-30 age range came aboard, each armed with a pistol. One female guest was sexually assaulted, and later treated at the local hospital, Caribbean Safety and Security Net (CSSN) reported. http://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com/ Cash, camera, computers, food, drinks, jewelry and an outboard motor were stolen. The launch left at high speed in a southwesterly direction. The entire event lasted about 45 minutes, and was reported to the police, coast guard, port captain and marina. Middle Long Cay is one of the many coral reefs, cays and islands in the Caribbean Sea forming the Belize Barrier Reef, the longest in the western hemisphere extending approximately 200 miles and a popular destination for visiting yachts. The reef and its islands have been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1996.

Ten of the best long-haul adventure holidays
Paddle from inn to inn, Belize: The island-rich coast of Belize is home to one of the first guided lodge-to-lodge stand-up paddleboarding trips in the world. Guests paddle through the South Water Caye Marine Reserve, exploring mangrove channels and reefs, watching out for stingrays, manatees and pelicans. Evenings are spent at small, family-run inns, where the day ends with snorkelling and watching the sun set from a hammock.

Videos

• TALK AH DI TOWN (GRIT), 32min.

• Learn how GOB uses the Skimming Pricing Strategy on fuel prices, 8min. What is Skimming Price Strategy you may ask, it happens a lot during holidays and natural disasters such as hurricanes here in Belize. Skimming Price Strategy: Setting a high price so that you are able to skim profit from those individuals that are willing to pay more for that product. People basically HAVE to pay whatever price for fuel, or the country simply shuts down. So the Government of Belize use this Pricing Strategy to SKIM all of us at every chance they get, why? Taxes on fuel is one of the main sources of income for the Government.

• Belize 2016, 3min. Clips from the Eco-Adventure Yoga Retrea

• Diving Belize Day 1, 2min. Caye Caulker diving - Mini Elbow and Black Coral Wall

• Sailfish release...Ambergris caye Belize, 1.5min.

• Tropic Air Belize, 3min. Departing from Ambergris Caye.

• Belize - Green Turtle Hatchling 2016, 1min. Sapodilla Marine Reserve, Lime Caye

• Belize, 4.5min. Vacation to San Pedro, Belize (Ambergris Caye - White Sands Cove)

• Belize 2014, 2min. Compilation of SCUBA Diving footage filmed December 2014, on Ambergris Caye/San Pedro, Belize. Thanks Amigos Del Mar.

• Dive Belize for conservation !, 7min.

• LIONS OF THE SOUTH: LEONIDES SANCHEZ & THE SPECIAL TRUTH!, 10min. The documentary features the work of the southern Belizean community organizer, farmer, and activist, Leonides Sanchez, and his struggle for food security and agricultural awareness in his hometown of Punta Gorda in Belize's southern district of Toledo. Sanchez also an educator, has been advocating for black consciousness and self awareness among the Garinagu, and has developed farming cooperatives among the Belizean people of the South while working with civil society in Belize to bring about change in land reform and self-sufficiency.