Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Police are investigating the apparent murder of an American news producer in the Cayo district on Friday.

San Ignacio police recovered the partially nude body of 39 year-old Anne Swaney from the Mopan River around 8:00 on Friday morning, with what appeared to be blunt force trauma wounds to the head, and marks on her neck. Her belongings were recovered on a deck not far from where her body was found.

Swaney, was staying at the Nabitunich Farm Resort between miles 71 and 72 on the George Price Highway, and was reported missing by the resort's owner on Thursday night. Reports are that she was to go horseback riding, but stayed behind because they were one horse short. She instead opted to do yoga by the river and that was the last time she was seen alive.

When she had not returned after nine hours, the resort owner, 40 year-old Santiago Juan, called the police.

Police gathered a search party but later called it off due to lighting constraints. They have questioned a Guatemalan fisherman found near the scene; however they did not detain him as a suspect.

Swaney was an executive producer for the media house, ABC7, based in Chicago, Illinois USA, and was responsible for the company's website.

The Reporter

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FBI JOINS ANNE SWANEY MURDER INVESTIGATION IN BELIZE

The United States now has federal agents on the scene in Belize to assist in the murder investigation of our ABC7 colleague Anne Swaney, as Belizean authorities say they are stepping up their efforts to solve the case, the ABC7 I-Team reports.

On Tuesday afternoon, an FBI agent and a U.S. embassy officers interviewed the resort owner about when Anne, 39, was last seen alive - near the end of a vacation she had planned for months.

"Nobody goes out thinking something is going to happen. It's mind-boggling," said Santiago Juan, the resort owner.

Juan and his stable hands have all been questioned numerous times by local authorities. A man was among several ranch employees at the police station Tuesday for another round of questioning.

Even though the FBI is offering assistance, the investigation is based out of the Benque Viejo branch of the Belize National Police.

On Tuesday, authorities here said they formed a task force of about 10 officers from across the country to try to solve the case.

Also, a Guatemalan national - arrested near Anne's murder scene and held on immigration charges - has still not been cleared in her killing. But some sources familiar with the investigation say authorities are leaning in another direction.

The I-Team has been told detectives have identified what is known here as a "person of concern" in connection with the case, believed to be a ranch worker.

The resort owner said Tuesday that only one thing matters: finding whoever is responsible.

"I would like to send my deepest condolences to her family and all of her loved ones wherever they may be," Juan said.

Authorities are still waiting on lab tests and say they may ask the FBI for help with more sophisticated forensic work.

ABC7 Chicago

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

1 YEAR LATER, MURDER OF ABC7 PRODUCER IN BELIZE STILL UNSOLVED

A year after ABC7 executive producer Anne Swaney was murdered while on vacation in Belize, the case remains unsolved.

Swaney's family and friends have had a year of anguish because the 39-year-old was gone, but also because her murderer has not been caught.

Police in the Central American nation of Belize are in charge of the investigation, but there has been no apparent progress in the search for the killer.

Swaney was executive producer of online operations at ABC7, where she had worked since 1999 after graduating from Northwestern University.

"It's still not reality for me," said Ji Suk Yi, a friend and co-host of Windy City Live. "I still feel like Anne went away on vacation and I'm still waiting for her to come back."

An avid adventure traveler, Swaney went to Belize in mid-January 2016. The Missouri native loved to ride horses and was making a return visit to an eco-resort and ranch in the Cayo District of western Belize.

"She was really excited to go back. She had met people there previously, she loved horses. This was her type of equine adventure. And she was excited to go back to a place where she felt comfortable going by herself," said Sandi Moleski, a friend and sorority sister.

On Jan. 14, 2016, Swaney went missing. She had apparently been by the Mopan River, which runs next to the eco-resort property, after ranch workers said there weren't enough horses for everyone to ride that morning.

Swaney stayed behind.

Her yoga mat, shirt and backpack were found on a deck near the river where she was last known to be.

The next day, searchers found her partially clothed body a short distance down river.

She had been strangled.

Belize police officials said a year ago there were signs of sexual assault but forensic tests did not confirm that, according to sources familiar with the investigation. Her cellphone was missing, police said.

"If, in fact, the perpetrator took the phone with him, that would be the biggest piece of evidence. The next thing you'd look at is the physical evidence from the body. Because it's a manual strangulation it's a very physical crime. The odds are that DNA was left in her fingernails because I'm sure Ms. Swaney struggled," said Robert Milan, a former Cook County and federal prosecutor.

Milan, a cold case expert, said key questions are how well Belize police handled the crime scene, retained and processed evidence and identified potential witnesses.

"Guests at that hotel, people involved in the horseback riding, anybody else that was around that scene. You'd want to know the rap sheets and here's why: The odds are this individual attacked women before and has a rap sheet," Milan said.

A year ago, a Guatemalan national near the murder scene was arrested and for a time was a suspect in Swaney's death. However, he was quickly cleared.

Authorities questioned eco-resort employees, the property manager and his father, the owner, who was among the last to see her alive. Both told the I-Team in Belize that they had no knowledge of what happened to her.

A year later, no one has been charged in her murder and there appear to be no prime suspects.

Milan said that it's possible that someone randomly came upon Swaney while she was doing yoga in the remote location, but it is unlikely.

The not knowing has made the last year difficult for Swaney's loved ones.

"I want to know specifically why she didn't end up going on that horse ride, why were they a horse short...We feel like it had to have been someone, we believe, someone there that knew her," Suk Yi said.

"Being a year now, I think I've come to the terms of the fact that we'll probably never know," Moleski said.

Swaney's father died not knowing. His health took a bad turn after she was murdered and he died in February. Her younger brother told ABC7 he still isn't ready to talk about what happened.

The FBI is still involved in the case, but not the lead agency. Belize police are in charge.

ABC News Chicago

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 130 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,469
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.