Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#511177 - 01/29/16 06:51 AM Belize Bank ATM charges
Tracker Offline
It seems that Belize Bank has started to charge 50c for each withdrawal from their ATM's. The Web site still says ATM withdrawals free. Another Belize bank scam.
If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.

#511184 - 01/29/16 11:07 AM Re: Belize Bank ATM charges [Re: Tracker]
elbert Offline
Tracker, That doesn't seem too awful to me.
.50 cents and haven't updated their web page yet....should we jail all the bank executives?
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#511204 - 01/30/16 05:28 AM Re: Belize Bank ATM charges [Re: Tracker]
Diane Campbell Offline
Yes I noticed it for the first time this past week.
I believe you can still go inside the bank and make a withdrawal without paying a special fee.
I'm told that the ATM's are run by outside service providers.

#511223 - 01/30/16 08:00 AM Re: Belize Bank ATM charges [Re: Tracker]
SimonB Offline
I'm not seeing it on my accounts as of this morning and I've had several ATM withdrawals in the last week. It may depend on the ATM you use. I do know the one at SuperBuy South has a charge for use.

#511227 - 01/30/16 10:06 AM Re: Belize Bank ATM charges [Re: Tracker]
Diane Campbell Offline
I saw it Thursday at Belize Bank's machine right there at the bank.

#511229 - 01/30/16 10:20 AM Re: Belize Bank ATM charges [Re: Diane Campbell]
ragman Offline
I used the ATM at the bank about an hour ago and paid the .50 bz charge. I can't remember exactly what the ATM screen said about it but they made it plain that you would pay a charge if you went ahead and made a withdrawal.

Having said that I've also made ATM withdrawals on my Stateside accounts and the charges seemed reasonable. About 2 weeks ago I used an ATM at Wings to get $1000 bz and the fees where about $6 or 7 bz total. Of course this would differ depending on the bank in the States because they were part of the total although that charge doesn't show up right away. ATM's are a relatively cheap way to get cash when traveling and I've used them in Mexico, Belize, Italy and several other countries recently with no problem. Of course I'm sure there is someone at some "Foggy Bottom Gov. Office" looking to screw that up. frown
Somewhere on a beach in Belize

#511518 - 02/10/16 05:28 AM Re: Belize Bank ATM charges [Re: Tracker]
Marty Offline

Belize Bank implements new fees for cash transactions

Belize Bank Limited (BBL) has recently implemented new cash withdrawal fees and customers are not happy. The fee is $1 for direct cash withdrawal and $0.50 for ATM cash withdrawals. These charges came into effective on Thursday, January 28th and BBL costumers have raised several complaints on the new charges.

“I recently went to withdraw money through the ATM and before discharging the money a pop up appeared asking me to confirm a 50˘ charge for withdrawal. This is getting ridiculous! Every time we go to the ATM they will be charging us 50˘. And then it is $1 when you go inside the bank and wait in line to use the teller to withdraw. We don’t even have free access to our own money now,” said a concerned citizen to The San Pedro Sun.

The Sun contacted BBL, where Marketing General Manager, Shakira Tsai confirmed the new charge. “These fees were introduced to allow us to provide a higher level of our over the counter customer service to all our customers as well as provide the most convenient, accessible and reliable ATM service in Belize. It is based on a ‘user pay’ philosophy. We also recognize that customers have a number of choices when it comes to using their cash held on deposit at the bank. To avoid the over the counter fee, customers can use the ATMs for a reduced fee. If the proceeds being withdrawn are to pay for goods and services, our free Visa Debit Card can be used for these purposes at no cost,” explained Tsai.

According to BBL, notice of the new fee has been posted inside every branch, as well as every ATM.

San Pedro Sun

New charges for Belize Bank customers

Banks make their money by means of interest charges on loans, but also through fees charged for services. Belize Bank customers, who used to be able to withdraw money from ATMs or over-the-counter at no charge, are now required to pay for those services, based on what a bank official calls the “user-pay policy.”

Although the bank’s online ATM page says, “Use your Belize Bank VISA Debit Card to withdraw cash free of charge day or night…”—that is no longer the case. Customers are now being informed that if they want to use the ATM, they would have to pay 50 cents each time they do, and $1.00 each time they withdraw money from inside the bank.

We are informed from another source that the ATM transactions alone could net the bank at least $32,000 a month, or almost $400,000 a year.

A customer, who is unhappy about the new charge, said that when he went to the ATM to get cash, there was a pop-up screen asking him to confirm the charge for the service. After the customer gave the confirmation, the customer’s transaction was processed.

Some customers have questioned why the new fee is being charged and they have been told by customer service personnel that it was a directive from management, with no other explanation. A senior citizen says that the fee is substantial for a retiree, who does not have much money to live on, and it should be revisited, at least for senior citizens.

Atlantic Bank and Heritage Bank charge no fees for routine withdrawals, but an Atlantic Bank customer may be charged $6.05 if they attempt to take money from their account, in an over-the-counter transaction, without their passbook.

In the case of Scotiabank, whether a fee is charged for withdrawals depends on whether the customer has exceeded the number of transactions allowed for the month. For example, total access accounts, which carry a monthly fee of $8.00, allow 10 transactions, but a customer who exceeds that limit is charged 50 cents for ATM withdrawals and $1.50 for over-the-counter transactions, according to information the bank provides online.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 28 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,685 Topics
461,184 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.