Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#511338 - 02/04/16 03:58 AM Ambergris Caye as an investment
gsreimers Offline
My lovely bride and I have been to La Isla Bonita twice and are coming down again in less than sixty days and counting. We have both talked about Ambergris Caye as a place to spend much more time after retirement and I have read all the post about the expats coming down and the challenges of island living. I have loved my visits and look forward to the day they can be longer, but I have no intention of ever moving down full time. While Minnesota winters are long and awful, the summers are beautiful and we have a lake place to spend 6 or 7 months a year at.

My real question is does anyone have any stories to share about buying properties in AC as an investment. I'm tired of losing 30% when the American stock market drops 20% and gaining 10% when the market goes up 20%. Last trip down (2014) I spent quite a bit of time talking to a gentlemen that bought a condo during preconstruction, realized a gain in value upon project completion, enjoyed rental income while not there, and sold to buy another unit in a newer development.

So is this a pipe dream or a possibility. I know there are risks, projects not finishing, cost higher than anticipated, rentals not as promised, but if anyone has anything to share, I would love to hear your stories.

Thanks

Gary and Kari

#511364 - 02/04/16 02:41 PM Re: Ambergris Caye as an investment [Re: gsreimers]
Judyann H. Online   content
"bought a condo during preconstruction, realized a gain in value upon project completion, enjoyed rental income while not there, and sold to buy another unit in a newer development." This was certainly our experience ..... However we have since witnessed projects gone wrong and people losing money when the bank steps in.......We would recommend using a builder with a track record in Belize, a project that is accessible by road and land in a well established area. We continually hear of people investing based on 'futures' (i.e.; airport, road access etc.).... I am not a Realtor however owning a restaurant/bar, we have the unique experience of listening to people's stories on a daily basis. Send me a private message and I can share with you projects that we know are doing well and others that we believe will do well based on the developer/builder.......

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com

#511378 - 02/04/16 09:44 PM Re: Ambergris Caye as an investment [Re: gsreimers]
carrottop642 Offline
All I can say is: DON'T DO IT, DON'T DO IT!!!! Ambergris Caye was an absolute nightmare not only for myself but for many people I know. Look around but don't be fooled by preconstruction promises, if it sounds to good to be true, run away fast. Nothing goes well in that country, keep your money in the U.S., there are plenty of beautiful places in the south and your money is safer along with your well being.

#511379 - 02/04/16 10:52 PM Re: Ambergris Caye as an investment [Re: carrottop642]
larrypied Offline
Invest wisely! No the check is not in the mail, trust me, I won't %$# in your mouth!

#511383 - 02/05/16 02:03 AM Re: Ambergris Caye as an investment [Re: gsreimers]
Shyboy Offline
Have purchased two properties One is ok; 2nd is fantastic.

Bottom line; know your broker. I have been doing this in the states for 40 + years.

#511398 - 02/05/16 05:50 PM Re: Ambergris Caye as an investment [Re: Shyboy]
joey2angels Offline
Shyboy....

Your nose is growing.....

#511399 - 02/05/16 05:52 PM Re: Ambergris Caye as an investment [Re: gsreimers]
joey2angels Offline

When you get a chance I would like to set up a meeting. I have a beautiful bridge for sale in the US you might be interested in making an investment.

#511401 - 02/05/16 06:21 PM Re: Ambergris Caye as an investment [Re: gsreimers]
RobertJ Offline
Iíve had more than a few conversations with folks who have invested in Ambergris......a minority seem to feel there is promise, but I think it was wishful thinking. The majority of my feedback was ďDonít Do ItĒ.

Weíre talking about a wonderful place to vacation, but, really, itís a who-knows-whatís-next Banana Republic.

There are lots of better ways to put your loot in jeopardy.

You donít need to own everywhere you go.

Edited by RobertJ (02/05/16 06:23 PM)

#511403 - 02/05/16 10:58 PM Re: Ambergris Caye as an investment [Re: gsreimers]
Shyboy Offline
Joey... Happy to go over $$$$$ figures with you anytime you want. There are cash deals to be had way under MLS prices ( from time to time).Trick is; keep it rented.

#511404 - 02/05/16 11:01 PM Re: Ambergris Caye as an investment [Re: gsreimers]
elbert Offline
It seems people come to Ambergris, have a good time on vacation and make hasty, foolish decisions about buying a condo while under the influence of the carribean breeze. They then slam the country for their error. There are lots of successful developments and rental management programs. You just have to look around carefully and not forget your brains in the states. Talk to other owners.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (Judyann H., Marty, 2 invisible), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,047 Topics
462,268 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.