Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
Hi folks,

I am looking for a change of scene and Belize is looking like the best place for myself and my gf, we're both 30. I'm an applied researcher in Big Data and Machine Learning. It's a pretty good gig which I can do from home anywhere in the world. Currently I'm based in San Francisco but tax combined with a very high cost of living and constant visa issues (I'm Australian and visas get in the way of contracting) are all conspiring to make living here less than ideal.

What I'd like to get a sense for is if I could fit in with the expat community in San Pedro. I'm looking for feedback to help me set my expectations, and I'm looking to make friends who share some similar interests and hopefully hit the ground running.

So for my expectations of San Pedro; at a minimum I'd be happy with an air-conditioned room with internet (even slow and intermittent) where I can work, study and save money. With the money saved I could attend tech conferences around the world and be much more plugged into the tech scene than I am now living in the center of SF. So even if there isn't anyone that shares my interests at this stage I think moving to Belize would still be a good move.

But ideally what I'm looking for are for people in San Pedro who share similar interests to me to work with, hang out with and go on trips with. I'm into tech, flying, kiteboarding, traveling. I have equipment for fun outings that I'd be happy to share.

[<Edit: Toning it down a bit>]

My girlfriend shares many of my hobbies but is also really into Yoga and rural retreats.

At this stage my plan is to go to San Pedro for a few weeks as a sanity check and if it works out I'll move in April.

I'm really looking forward to it.

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited by moloneymb; 02/16/16 09:25 PM.
Visit. Then choose somewhere else to live and base from. I cannot imagine you will find a peer group much less mutual ground for you interests in the older expat population. Immigration issues, work permits, all those things are costly. Probably not the placem for you. Do some more research.

Words have power. Speak it into existence.
T
t42 Offline
T
Look into Caye Caulker sounds more your like what you might be interested in.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks guys. That's why I do these sanity checks. I'll check it out.

I think you will fit it very well! There are lots of people your age with shared interests in San Pedro. Don't look just to the expats for friendship. Integrate with the community.
Gf will find many yoga groups and you will probably find the internet service very adequate to your needs.

There's a pretty good scene here now of people in your age group. There has been a change since I've lived here from older retirees and snowbirds to younger, creative and a more adventurous crowd (not to say that there aren't some pretty adventurous and creative people in the older crowd either). Definitely come and do a reccy. I suspect you may find the sort of scene you are looking for.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

A
A
Hey Matt,

My wife and me just came back! Have you guys moved?

Thomas

K
K
Hey man, just popped in wishing I could help....but...I just posted pretty much the same add as u. So, I thought if we get linked into someone that is willing to take time to share some insights/info I'll share with u and u share with me. I'm in Key West my handle here is KeyWestMike my email: [email protected] smile THX

K
K
Hello. I'm looking to move to Belize this fall and was wondering if there is a A Belize type Craigslist. I don't see an actual Craigslist site, --i'm wanting to review private rentals. Anybody care to enlighten me? THX

There was a facebook buy and sell site for Belize but it got so cluttered with junk I dropped out last year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 147 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,025
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.