Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

What You Should Know About Zika Virus
What is Zika Virus? Zika virus is spread by mosquitos, and can cause an infection known as Zika fever. Zika virus was first found in Asia and Africa. Since 2014, the virus has been spreading, and cases have now been found in Mexico, the Caribbean, and both Central and South America. So far there have been no cases in Belize. What are the symptoms? Zika fever symptoms are similar to the common cold. Symptoms include fever, rash, conjunctivitis (red eyes) and joint pain. Symptoms are mild and may last up to one week. 1 in 5 people infected with the virus actually become ill. Even though you may not have symptoms, you may still have the virus. Zika very rarely causes hospitalization. Death is extremely rare. Currently, there are no vaccines or specific treatments available for Zika.

Wolfe’s Woofer: Cute Baby
At the doctor’s office I ran into Mario, who used to work for me. “Hey, Mr. Dennis,” Mario said. “I’m bringing my baby in for a checkup. Did you ever see little Mario?” His wife was holding the baby up for me to see when the doctor came into the waiting room. “The baby looks just like you,” he said to Mario, as they disappeared into the examination room. A young mother with a baby was ahead of me on the waiting list. After Mario left the doctor came out to call her in. As they left I heard him say, “You sure do have a cute baby.” “Thank you,” the mother said.

Police Report
Drug Trafficking: On Sunday, February 14th at around 4:45PM, the San Pedro Strike Team were conducting a foot patrol in the airstrip area, near Maya Island Air Cargo Section when they saw 21-year-old Romario Mai of San Mateo Area riding away from Maya Island Air Cargo section on a black male frame 24″ Beach Cruiser with a black and grey school bag on his back.
Wanted: San Pedro Police are asking for assistance in the capture of Jamie Hope who is wanted by Belize City Police Department. If seen call 911, 206-2022 or call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 0-800-922-8477.
Wounding: On Wednesday, February 10th, 20-year-old Alexis Chavez, reported to police that on Tuesday, February 9th at about 3AM he was assaulted. He indicated that he was walking home alone after socializing with friends, and while on the back street in the San Juan Area, San Pedro Town he saw a male person of ‘red’ skin complexion, low dread hair type and medium build, who at the time was dressed in a grey shirt, and brown 3/4 dickies pants and who he only knows as Edwards “SHABBA”, hiding in the bushes nearby.
Police note: San Pedro Police have indicated that while crime is still an issue in the island, efforts have been taken to keep it under control. Up to date there has been: 1 murder, 1 rape, 2 robberies, 3 burglaries, 11 thefts and 22 reported minor crimes. This records as a total of 41 reported criminal incidents in 2016. Police are asking for the community’s assistance in keeping the island safe. Persons are encouraged to report incidents immediately. The San Pedro Police Station can be contacted at 206-2022.

Doctor Love: Had It and Partier
Dear Doctor Love, I have been married for less than a year and I cannot seem to get along with my mother-in-law. She started giving me instructions before the wedding and has not shut up since. She got angry with me because I invited people I wanted and not those that she wanted. Then she started talking about me to the family to turn them against me. The only thing my husband ever says is that she means well. I don’t believe that for a minute. She wants to decide who our friends are and which church we will go to. I am pregnant with our first child and it is only going to get worse. Please tell me the best way to deal with this. /s/ Had It

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Wildlife - license is needed to hunt and sell
Isn't it brilliant to note that cooks and street venues are not implicated in this Wildlife Order. Only the Hunters and the Vendors. I was originally on a panel to create such an order for the Belize Forestry Department, many years ago. Although our mandate was a lot more than one page. So, when you travel down the Northern Highway into Belize City you can stop and eat at food stands offering gibnut and deer out of season, and yet no government office makes a move to shut them down, fine them or halt the sales. Could the Forestry Dept. and the Police Dept. get together and enforce unilaterally. Of course not, why would they want to? I see trucks with carcasses of forty or fifty bodies piled high, out of season, heading up the Coastal Road. I also see truck loads of un-marked tree logs, sand and gravel, pick-up loads of stolen oranges from White Ridge, thatch palm leaves stacked up in their hundreds, pimento and bush sticks stuffed into box backs, people raping with no enforcement of regs., and yet never have I seen a Check Point on the road to officiate the passage of goods. Well, why would the GoB want to interfere with profit.

Belize Sees Big Tourism Rebound
After a sluggish peak tourist season, things were looking grim for tourism growth in Belize. But a strong summer season put the Caribbean destination into a strong position by the end of the year. Belize reported a 6.2 percent increase in tourist arrivals in 2015, according to the latest data from the Caribbean Tourism Organization. And while the country reported a 1.2 percent decline in the peak tourist season, it reported a significant 11.3 percent improvement in the summer season. The country saw a particularly strong increase in arrivals from the United States, with an 8 percent increase compared to 2014, which softened the blow of a 9 percent reduction in tourism from Canada.

The Lodge at Chaa Creek’s Travel Channel Feature Highlights Belize’s Growth As A Premier Destination
The Lodge at Chaa Creek's feature in a recent Travel Channel article also highlights why Belize’s tourist arrivals are expected to continue on an upward trend this year, according to Chaa Creek’s marketing administrator. The February 2016 Travel Channel article, "Belize’s 10 Best Jungle Lodges," featured Chaa Creek with the acknowledgement that “Many consider this to be the best lodge in Belize.” The article also explains some of the factors behind Belize’s continued growth as a one of the world’s most desirable travel destinations, according to marketing administrator Roberto Harrison. “It’s very gratifying to be acknowledged by such a popular and trusted travel authority as The Travel Channel, and I think it reflects well not only on Chaa Creek, but Belize in general. It also helps to explain why tourist arrivals increased last year, and why we’re confident of further growth this year,” Mr. Harrison said.

SAGA Free Spay and Neuter
Free and low-cost spay and neuter surgery appointments being taken now. Appointments available Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday

The Reporter

Over 27 pounds of rice confiscated from local producer
This weekend, the Belize Bureau of Standards (BBS) informed that they served a Notice of Detention and confiscated 27,571 pounds of rice from a local producer for breaching new rice standards. The BBS issued new standards last October for rice labelling and packaging. However, according to the Bureau, rice is still being sold loosely in the market. This weekend a large amount of rice was removed from the producers for non-compliance of the new laws. According to the Bureau, the producer breached Section 10 of the Standards which stipulates the requirements for proper packaging and labelling. The business, located in Belize City, was given an opportunity to write to present their case in writing. The producer responded that they will reprocess the rice to meet the new standards of new packaging and labelling regulations.

Ministry of Works issues notice of axle weight survey
The general public is notified that an axle weight survey will take place in Benque Viejo del Carmen Town in front of the Cancha Marshalleck from February 22 to the 28th from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The survey seeks to gather preliminary information about the range of heavy axle loads borne by Belize’s main highways. The survey will study heavy construction and heavy transport vehicles and will be used to assist engineers to improving future highway design, improve the performance of routine and periodic maintenance. It will also be used to expand its database of vehicular axle weights. The Department cautions motorists to operate with maximum safety, driving carefully and being mindful of the people carrying out the surveys on the seven dates mentioned.

Eastern Division police conducts coaching sessions with 4th form students
This weekend, officers from the Eastern Division police formation engaged with fourth form students from the Anglican Cathedral College (ACC) in Crooked Tree. Facilitated by Senior Superintendent Edward Broaster, Deputy Commander of the Eastern Division, the session included more than 40 students. Broaster stated that the session covered topics about gang and street violence and aimed at equipping students with skills to counter violence. With the knowledge acquired at the sessions, Broaster stated that the fourth form students will be able to be “productive citizens and no one would lead them astray to do illegal stuff.” Understanding that unemployment is a problem that young people face in contemporary times, and is a direct link to violence and crime, Broaster stated. He said the sessions also equip students with knowledge to create their own employment.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Traffic accident on Bullet Tree Road
There was a traffic accident on Bullet Tree Road. Breaking Belize News has confirmed that taxi driver, Alvin Popper lost control of his vehicle which caused it to flip while on its way to San Ignacio Town. According to our sources, the taxi was transporting two […]

A Family Affair kind of Wedding at Las Terrazas, Belize
Is well known already that Belize is a top World Destination Wedding…. and Jenna & Cooper decided to choose us to tie the knot. A tropical island, laid back wedding, filled with love & happiness surrounded by people close to their hearts… this was their dream wedding day and choosing fabulous Las Terrazas Resort was the topping of their day. A perfect location: Ambergris Caye, Belize, the most beautiful island in the world.. We were in the middle of a cold front, with heavy rain for days… we looked online and looked like we’ll have a wet day ahead… Personally, I consider rain the most romantic weather… and if will rain in your wedding day, that’s totally OK! At least, with me as your photographer :)

“Got My Mojo Working” in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Some mornings out on the veranda – the western, lagoon facing one – I take time out from reading The Times on my iPad and just sip my coffee (black and unsweetened) and I enter a state of cogitation (sounds like something that Mr Spock might do, doesn’t it. No. Oh well). These cogitative states have covered a myriad of subjects but just recently I’ve kept coming back to the same one. “What changes have I undergone since moving here coming up to four years ago?”. Well obviously there’s the physical changes. Advancing age – no matter how hard you try to fight it ((without the aid (sic) of cosmetic surgery and/or drugs ))- is one thing you just can’t beat. Well, not if you want to carry on living. So I’ve grown a few more grey hairs (not complaining though because I’ve still got it. Hair, that is). I’ve gained a few more lines in the face. I blame the sun for that though, not aging! I’m not as agile as I used to be. I can still touch the floor – keeping the knees straight of course – with my fingertips. But … I used to be able to do this with the palms of my hand. I can’t lift the weights I used to be able to carry very easily . My days of sprinting are long since gone. Oh, I’ve lost weight too. Weight with my slim (OK, skinny) frame that I could really have done without losing.

Steak Taco Roll-Ups
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare baking sheet by putting aluminum foil to cover pan. This makes clean up super easy! Using cooking spray, lightly coat foil. Cut steak into small chunks, bite size. In a large skillet brown steak with taco seasoning, garlic and onion over medium-high heat until meat is browned. Don't over cook or it will be too chewy. Drain off any excess liquid. Add chilies, refried beans, tomato sauce, and taco seasoning. Mix well and cook until thickened. With tortilla flat on surface, sprinkle small amount of cheese onto torilla. Spoon 2-3 Tbsp. of the steak mixture on top of the cheese. Carefully roll tortilla up as you would a taquito, being careful to not over fill the tortilla, but rolling as tight as you can get it.

Crock Pot BBQ Beef Roast
Place the roast in the crock pot, slice in half if using a 4 qt. crock pot. Whisk together the remaining ingredients and pour over the roast. Cook on low for 6 hours. Remove the roast and shred with two forks (it just falls apart), place in a serving dish and ladle some of the juice over the top before serving.

Rio On Pools
Make a Big Splash by Visiting Rio on Pools! Imagine stumbling into a huge pine forest within a land known for its palm trees and exotic flowers. That’s what you can expect on your way to an idyllic enclave of naturally-formed swimming pools fed by dramatic waterfalls hidden within this forest of evergreen trees. Visit Rio on Pools to indulge your inner spirit in an atmosphere of water, water everywhere, including streams that feed this aquatic oasis. If you long for a place to sun, splash, frolic and relax, this destination belongs near the top of your Belize itinerary. This diverse natural area is located in Cayo amid the evergreen trees and granite rock of Mountain Pine Ridge. Drive here yourself or book a tour via your resort concierge and let your tour guide handle logistics. Expect a grand time splashing in the pools, zipping over granite boulders and experiencing area waterfalls year-round. You’re going to stay perpetually wet anyway, so rain showers won’t spoil your fun. That stated, you could encounter muddy roads, so if you’re not a skilled driver, making this trip in a downpours could offer more adventure than you bargained for! Dare we again mention the wisdom of taking a guided tour? Whether your only goal is to visit Rio on Pools or you’re combining it with a stop at Caracol Mayan ruins, take the main road to the Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve and you’ll encounter a parking lot and picnic site. If you reach Augustine Village, you’ve gone too far. Turn around, park and take a short hike to the pools.

International Sourcesizz

Severe droughts explain the mysterious fall of the Maya
When the Spanish conquistadores sailed for Central America in 1517, their goal was to vanquish the resident Maya civilisation. But the colonists arrived to find that much of their work had been done for them. The Maya’s towering limestone cities – a classic feature of one of the ancient world’s most advanced societies – were already being reclaimed by the jungle. The question of how the Maya met their end is one of history's most enduring mysteries. The Maya people survived; they even managed to stage a long resistance to European rule. But by the time the Spanish made landfall, the political and economic power which had erected the region's iconic pyramids, and had at one time sustained a population of some two million people, had vanished. The marvels the Maya left behind have earned them an enduring mystique. But the way the civilisation met its end is every bit as curious. Apart from its dramatic scale, what makes the Maya collapse so striking is that, despite decades of study, archaeologists still cannot agree on what caused it. As with the Roman Empire, there probably wasn’t one single culprit for the Maya’s downfall. But the nature of their decline leads some researchers to believe that the Maya civilisation fell victim to a major catastrophe – one able to topple city after city in its wake. There are abundant theories about what finished off the Maya. There are the old favourites – invasion, civil war, collapsing trade routes – but ever since the first Central American ancient climate records were pieced together in the early 1990s, one theory has become particularly popular: that the Maya civilisation was ultimately doomed by a period of severe climate change.

Correspondent banking a worry for CARICOM
The economies of Caribbean Community (CARICOM) member states could be ruined if the issue of correspondent banking is not addressed at the highest level. Barbados Prime Minister Freundel Stuart made this assertion as the 27th inter-sessional conference of heads of government of CARICOM came to a close on Wednesday in Placencia, Belize. In an interview on the sidelines of the summit, Stuart explained that regulators abroad, particularly in the United States, have determined that the Caribbean was now a high risk area for doing business, and as a result, have embarked on a policy of “de-risking”, which would involve the withdrawal of correspondent banking services from indigenous banks in the Caribbean. De-risking could lead to delinking CARICOM economies from access to the global payments and financial system, and would therefore have a severe impact on people’s ability to transfer remittances through money service companies.

Mexican Congress Revising Entry Rules for Central Americans
The Chamber of Deputies has made changes to Mexico's Migration Law that directly impact Central American citizens. With a change made to the Migration Law, now foreign visitors that arrive in or transit Mexico will be able to do so [remain] for up to seven days. [sic]* The Migration Affairs Committee … approved the amendment to the Migration Law, increasing the time a foreigner, characterized as a regional visitor, can remain in the country. The change to Article 52, Section III, of said regulation replaces the three days that foreigners had been authorized to stay in Mexico, under conditions of a visitor sojourn and endorsed by the Regional Visitor Card (TVR). The TVR is a migration tool designed to facilitate entry into Mexico by Guatemalan and Belizean citizens, and foreigners that reside permanently in those countries, enabling them to travel legally and freely to Campeche, Chiapas, Tabasco, and Quintana Roo as often as they want for up to three calendar days per occasion.

• Mr. Peters Interview 2004, 8min. Peters Interview by Bilal Morris in LosAngeles 2004 about his first recording with Caye Records and working with Producer Patrick Barrow.

• Belize, 3.5min.

• BLUE HOLE BELIZE, 1.5min.

• San Pedro Snorkeling at Hol Chan Shark Ray Alley - Ultimate Snorkelling experience in Belize, 2min. Just a short boat ride south of San Pedro of the World second largest Coral Reef system you will find Hol Chan Shark Ray Alley

• monkey eating banana in Belize, 3min. Spider monkey's taking banana.

• Belize, 5min. My life on board: Belize.

• CCC Belize Missions 2005 2013 HD, 5min. A tour through photos of past missions to Belize.

• Belize and Guatemala in 16 days, 10min.

• Benque Marimba Youth Academy- celebrating Belize Day in Guatemala September 20th, 2015, 2min.

• DISCOVER BELIZE NOW PREVIEWS, 8min. Chopper views over the Blue Hole, Turneffe Atoll, Snorkel Dive Hol Chan Marine Reserve, Snorkel Shark Ray Alley and not so common Manatee scenes.

• Belize 2016 HD, 7.5min.

• Belize 2016, 8min.