FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Letter to the Editor: Traffic
We are passionate online readers and repeat guests for the last seven years, each time for a month to six weeks. After this year’s vacation we also had enough with your trashy traffic in town and on roads around. It seems a cultural clash is finally happening on this island. The island’s problems are open for discussion: The local population wants to have and use their cars no matter how trashy and junk yard ready these cars might be and golf cart tourists seem to be just an unwanted obstacle. On the other side, tourists want tranquility and a vacation spot to get away from traffic, the dust and stress such traffic causes. Locals and officials might not quite realize how much money is at stake. Just keep in mind that many repeat guests are already staying away and that fewer and fewer first-time guests will be visiting in the future. The reputation of the island is on the line.

Wolfe’s Woofer: The Dentist
“Stop at the dentist’s office while you’re downtown,” Sherry said. “We don’t have a phone book and I don’t know how to get in touch with him. Get his number for me.” “Sure.” The dentist was with someone in his office when I got there but I could hear the conversation clearly. A lady asked, “Doctor, how much do you charge to pull a tooth?” “It’s usually about $125.” “What?!” the lady exclaimed. “That’s way too much. There must be someway you could do it cheaper than that.” “Well, if we don’t use anesthesia we can charge less. Numbing the pain is a big part of the expense. I could take about $40 off.” “That’s still $85 dollars,” she said. “That’s too much.

Police Report
Missing Persons: On Sunday, February 21st at about 5:30PM, 17-year-old Francisco Torres and Samir Perez, both of Avenida Langosta, Caye Caulker Village, left their house and went to Sip N Dip Beach Bar to socialize and they both have not been seen and heard from since. The clothing that they were last seen wearing and their description is unknown at this time.
Obtaining Property by deception: 58-year-old Dorothea Pineda, business owner of DFC area San Pedro Town reported that on Tuesday, January 19th at about 6PM she was at her business place located on Coconut Drive, when she asked her employee about ‘the shrimp delivery’, as she saw a note pad with a total of $380 and $280 being paid, leaving a balance of $100 for shrimps she had ordered.
Possession of Forged Document: A Transport Officer attached to the San Pedro Traffic Department visited the San Pedro Police Station and reported that on the Thursday, February 18th at about 3:57PM, he was at work at the San Pedro Transport Office, when 24-year-old Lester Enrique Orantes entered the transport office and handed over a laminated driver’s license to him for renewal.
Wanted Person: The San Pedro Police Department is asking for assistance in the capture of 30-year-old Alex Hernandez, Tour Guide and Bartender from the Orange Walk District. He is of Mestizo decent, 5 feet 6 inches in height, medium built, round face and light brown skin.

Doctor Love: Alcoholism and Mother-in-laws
Dear Doctor Love, I am 52 years old and I have been married for 14 years. Because of his alcoholism he is impotent so we have not had relations for over four years. When we even try he gets angry and frustrated and takes it out on me with verbal abuse. He has not been able to hold a job for years now so I am the breadwinner in the house. I come home from work and he spends his time putting me down and trying to make me feel worthless. I cry every night. What can I do? /s/ Nervous Wreck

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

SBDC Workshop: Time Management Workshop
Everyone starts with the same amount of hours - so why do we seem to get so much less done? An inability to manage time efficiently can leave anyone feeling stressed, overwhelmed, and unproductive. As workers we are expected to be at our very best, rested, alert and creative on daily basis. Goal: This workshop offers practical techniques that can be used immediately to gain control. Beneficiaries: Entrepreneurs, Business Owners and Managers. Presented By: Mrs. Vicky Heredia, Business Adviser, SBDCBelize, BELTRAIDE. WORKSHOP COST : $40.00. Location: BTEC Building. Workshop Date: March 3rd, 2016. Time: 9am to 12p. WORKSHOP COST : $40.00

April 9th Fundraiser SACNW
Hi neighbors! On Saturday, April 9, 2016 your South Ambergris Caye Neighborhood Watch is holding an afternoon BBQ fun day at Caribe Island Resort beach front. There will be live music, grilled food & sides, silliness and an auction. The price will be a low, low $25 BZD and includes one drink. All owners and guests living and visiting the south end will be invited. That's where we need your help in guessing possible head counts.

Co-op Group sugar goes 100% Fairtrad
A collaboration between the Co-operative Group and Tate & Lyle Sugars will see the convenience retailer’s entire sugar range become Fairtrade certified. The move is set to drive more than £1m of benefits to smallholder sugar cane farmers and sugar growing communities of Belize over the next two years. The Group will be the first supermarket to offer a 100% Fairtrade branded and own-label sugar range, following a long-term investment by both brands. Brad Hill, Fairtrade strategy manager at the Group, said: “We were the very first retailer to sell Fairtrade sugar and, having switched our entire own-brand range to Fairtrade almost a decade ago, it’s great to complete the shift to Fairtrade across the entire sugar fixture. Supporting sugar farmers and communities around the world is vital, and this latest venture with Tate & Lyle Sugars comes at a particularly challenging time for cane farmers in Belize.”

Poets Corner: Judgment!
By Abdulmajeed k Nunez. Orosco vs the Attorney General is a living testament That while the Chief Justice lives in lavishment Delaying his judgment Is in itself punishment Is it because of fear of bashment? Or is it because this case will set precedent Or has he been instructed by the government He needs to make known his judgment! This matter was maligned in the media Some misinformed and Some spreading propaganda Some were indeed mischief maker Some even made the church God the father And some even made pronouncements as the vicar of the Lord Some manipulated the word Some came with ridiculous arguments I’ve never again heard The amendment to section 53 Is not an anomaly Many a countries have amended this law already Valuing the talkshow host as authority Is messing up our thinking ability Most if not all have no legal degree Orosco is seeking the amendment of four words “and any other or” yet he is being treated like scourge

Belize Bike Rally - Day 2
Looks like everyone is having a super time in Belize. Today is the last day of our Belize Bike Rally. Fido's Courtyard in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye will be the host of today's event headed to the island. This was the day most of the bikers came in to Belize and the day you got to hear the rumbling of the pipes and the heat of the burn at the Belize Bike Rally.

"Street Art Festival" in Belize City
Talented Belizean Artists display their work at the annual sidewalk chalk competition, held yesterday at the "Street Art Festival" in Belize City.

FRANK ADDERLEY: A BELIZEAN LEGEND WHO ONCE DREAMED!
It took me sometime to write this one, but I knew one day that it had to be done. It is just about a simple brother, friend, colleague and brilliant mind that once walked the streets of Belize that helped me find my self, my words, my soul, and broadened my horizons about the world as we looked at it from little small Belize. He is the late Frank Adderley, and he left this life quite young but without leaving a deep impact on someone as myself. In culminating this Black History Month, it is an honor for me to write about someone that personal as Frank Adderley was to me. His depth for musical appreciation and philosophy drew me to his being while we attend High School at St. Michael's College. We connected immediately on those fronts because we were both young black Belizean thinkers quite early in our lives, and we were thirsty for knowledge the same way. But Frank took me outside of Belize through music to the international world beat arena where musical artists were the messengers of love, politics, and culture. We both studied thoroughly the spectrum of the dynamic African-American artists and musicians, and engulfed ourselves in vinyl records, Billboard magazines and anything we could find to quench our thirst for the world of music and philosophy around us.

Hstoric gathering of environmental technicians from Belize and Guatemala
The 25th of February marked a historic gathering of environmental technicians from Belize and Guatemala to put into effect the bi-national MOU signed between the two countries aimed at addressing cross border environmental matters. FCD congratulates and supports both Governments on this effort.

The Reporter

Street art festival round 5
Over 40 artisans and entrepreneurs gathered on Albert Street for the fifth instalment of the Street Art Festival, hosted by the National Institute of Culture and History (NICH). For the event, NICH blocked off Albert Street, from the end of Orange Street up to South Street just after Wesley church. The participants had booths selling various items such as jewellery, bags, and handicrafts, as well as foods, wines and snacks. There were children’s activities including graffiti using chalk on concrete and face painting. Live bands entertained passersby and patrons with music of various genres adding to the ambiance of the area. In the afternoon, the performance group Youth Advocacy Through Arts (YATA), treated the audience, primarily teenagers to its newest play “Deaf Chorus”; a play speaking on issues of gang violence among youth. Gregory Vernon, director of the Institute of Creative Arts at NICH, explained that they hold the festival in an attempt to trying to rejuvenate the downtown area, as well as promote local art and artists.

CARICOM focusing on youth violence
The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) is preparing to hold a regional forum focussing on youth crime and violence. The CARICOM Secretariat announced that the tow-day forum will be held at the Arthur Chung Conference Centre, Georgetown, Guyana on 29 February 2016 to 1 March 2016. “The objectives of the Forum are: to sensitise CARICOM policy makers, the media and other stakeholders on the major elements of youth crime and violence and on the responses to break the silence.” The Secretariat said in a release this week. The secretariat added that sessions will also be used to share good practices with a view to replicating the lessons learned; to explore strategies for a multi-sectoral `whole of society’ response to the challenge and to examine the means for greater collaboration among institutions and development partners to sustain CARICOM’s response to youth crime and violence.

Jamaica Labour Party wins general elections
Andrew Holness is back in charge in Jamaica. He is set to be sworn in as the country’s new Prime Minister after his Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) toppled the People’s National Party (PNP) government, winning 33 of the 63 seats in Parliament in yesterday’s elections. Holness, who served as prime minister for a two-month period in 2011 when he succeeded Bruce Golding as JLP leader, will be joined in the House of Representatives by his wife, Juliette Holness, who captured the St Andrew East Rural seat in her first political outing. Despite her party’s loss, former prime minister Portia Simpson Miller also retained her seat. The poll was marked by a low voter turnout – 47.5 per cent – and its outcome was historic. It was the slimmest victory margin for any political party in Jamaica’s history.

The Belize Times

Shady! – Court rules that Barrow & Vega stole “Mek Mi Rich” concept
The Supreme Court slammed Belize Telemedia Limited led by Executive Chairman Anwar Barrow for practising shady business in a lottery game called “Mek Mi Rich” on Tuesday February 23rd 2016. Judge Courtenay Abel delivered his ruling in a civil matter in which BTL and the directors of “Mek Mi Rich”, or MMR, were accused of misappropriating the game concept from Belizean entrepreneur Curtis Swasey. Swasey told the Court that the “Mek Mi Rich” lottery draw model is his. He testified that in January 2012 he approached BTL marketing representatives and presented the concept for a lottery draw program which would be accessed exclusively by BTL customers through text messaging. Swasey called the game Super Slam Sunday. According to Swasey, he signed an Information Exchange Agreement with BTL representatives which contained a two-year period of non-disclosure in the event the agreement would be terminated. He said that he been in dialogue with BTL representatives on the program, providing training and preparing for implementation.

LET’S BUILD BELIZE TOGETHER
Presentation by Leader of the People’s United Party, Hon. John Briceño, to Galen University Students, Thursday, February 17, 2016. It’s great to be here with you at Galen in Beautiful Cayo — not only because this is my first presentation since becoming Leader of the People’s United Party, but also because I really like the energy I get when I am around young people–it’s contagious. I was once a high school teacher and every time I stepped on to the campus at Muffles College I felt a rush of optimism. I’m grateful for the warm hospitality you’ve shown me so far, including from senior administrators and faculty and now from all of you gathered here. Galen is a young and vibrant institution, and each of you will play a seminal role in how this institution grows in stature and prestige. More so, you will help to shape our nation in the generations to come. There is no better time for you to start thinking about how you want to build our nation than the present. As John Legend puts it: “we’re the generation that can’t afford to wait, the future started yesterday and we’re already late.”

Gapi Blames “Dean” for Papaya industry Collapse
Deputy Prime Minister Gaspar Vega has blamed “Dean” for the collapse of Fruta Bomba and Belize Fruit Packers, the papaya subsidiary companies which provided jobs to Belizeans along the northern belt. Vega, in interviews this week, said the companies have been reeling from the disaster it faced when “Hurricane Dean” struck Northern Belize. Do you think there is any coincidence with Vega’s blaming of “Hurricane DEAN”? There couldn’t be. Hurricane Dean was almost eight years ago, under the former PUP Government. Couldn’t and shouldn’t the Government have done enough to assist the companies regain stability in order to save jobs? But we know why Vega blamed it on “Dean”. We know that in the north the UDP reps are fuming and furious at the lack of Government leadership which is seeing the UDP’s political capital fade by the day, and with a leadership race on the horizon we are not surprised Vega chose launch this subliminal attack.

Barrow’s 2016 Shylock Budget
The stage is being prepared for the Budget Debate 2016/2017. Draft estimates, recommendations and forecasts are being submitted by various HODs (Heads of Department) for consultation prior to the presentation by the Honorable Dean Barrow, possibly in March 2016. Undoubtedly, three factors will be the primary focus in the constructing of the 2016 budget: the resultant of several financial storms creeping to our shores, the compounding effects of climate change and trade liberalization on our Agro Industry; the “Banking Armageddon” which is the de-risking banking crisis; and our national debt. Subsidiary but important nonetheless are the social ills that continue to plague the jewel – poverty, inequality, joblessness, costly healthcare, crime and violence, and threats to national security. Many Belizeans are pre-empting a budget of shylock proportions with Prime Minister Dean Barrow and the UDP Government exacting its “pound of flesh” from the Belizean populace through various austerity measures and budget cuts. The recent announcing of the impending firing of some 1,300 teachers, the increase in fees at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital and the cunningly introduction of some new taxes are signs of the WORST TO COME!

Think About It
One of the most important discussions on the Guatemalan claim to Belize and what we need to do was held on Friday 19th February 2016. It was sponsored by, of all people, the lawyers of Belize, AND, the Judges of our Supreme Court. They hold an annual get together each year called the Bench and Bar Conference. The “Bench” is legalese for the Judges and Magistrates because in Court they sit and preside from an elevated bench. The Bar is the next important position in a court. It is where the “learned” lawyers sit and stand as they assist the court in the interest of a lady called justice. In Belize, that lady is weak and weary and her measuring scales appear a bit unbalanced. The blind-fold over her eyes looks torn and tattered and she may be peeping at the persons before her, which she should never do. Never. But alas! This is broken Belize. Big respect is due to the President, Jackie Marshalleck and Executive of the Bar Association or what’s left of it after the unnecessary and petty attacks from the Prime Minister who has succeeded in mortally wounding an organization that had the potential to help educate Belizeans, although it never did.

A Time of Bliss
In the same way that Memorial Day opens the summer season for our neighbours up north, Benefactor’s Day heralds the arrival of our dry season. This holiday was initially given in honour of Belize’s biggest benefactor Baron Bliss and I thought it appropriate, timely and educational to republish this piece that I did several years ago. Baron Henry Edward Ernest Victor Bliss, JP was born in the Buckingham County of England on the 16th of February, 1869. His real surname was actually Barretts but was changed to Bliss just about the time that he acquired the title of fourth Baron of the former Kingdom of Portugal. That title was acquired through lineal descent from one Sir John Moore, who was a hero in the wars of that domain. In 1911 and at the prime age of 42, Baron Bliss was struck by paralysis and was for the remainder of his days, confined to a hand propelled wheelchair. By the time of his medical misfortune, Baron Bliss had amassed considerable wealth; enough to realize his dream of retiring to a life of seafaring and fishing. After replacing his first boat, which was commandeered for use during World War 1, Baron Bliss said goodbye to his native England and shoved off, making it clear that he never intended to return. As far as we know, Baron Bliss had no children but was married to Baroness Ethel Alice Bliss, with whom he settled a covenant before leaving and for whom he made a modest provision in his will. According to the Baron, his married life had been a happy one but records suggest otherwise. There is no record of the Baroness making any attempt to contact Bliss or of attending his funeral. She died in England in 1945.

The ship is sinking
In Belize, poverty and inequality have reached such an alarming level that the society as a whole is in crisis. The majority of Belizeans are living in survival mode. More and more families have become marginalized, vulnerable and dependent on the hand-outs of the ruling UDP politicos who have turned vote-buying into a norm in the “democratic” process of electioneering. Imagine then, what is happening now that the UDP ministers have resumed back into their holes and the country faces its worst economic crisis. Only the UDPs are surviving like royalty right now. You see them driving their fancy rides? Living in large mansion like homes? The crumbs from the national budget is doled out to the poor supporters just enough to keep them quiet. The teeming masses are threatened with the hammer of victimization and transparent intimidation if they dare step out of line; if they dare to raise their voices in protest. If they do, no more food pantry for them; no chance of getting a plot of land on which to build a little house or start a little farm. Just talk to the many Belizeans not only in Trio Village but right across the country from north to east and west too.

St. Martin De Porres wins district basketball champs
The St. Martin De Porres RC School girls and boys will represent the Belize District when the national primary schools basketball championship is held at Orange Walk Multi-Purpose Complex this coming Friday and Saturday, February 26-27; after both teams won the Belize District finals at Birds’ Isle last Wednesday. The Martin’s boys won the Belize District championship finals over Belize Elementary boys 39-23 with Elijah Gabourel scoring 16 pts and Lyndon Gentle added 11 pts. Evan Welch and Tyreck Solis scored 4pts apiece and Kentrel Marshall scored a bucket The St. Martin’s girls eliminated the city champs, the up-to-then undefeated St. John’s Anglican School girls 13-12 in the championship final. Martin’s Shantel Flowers top scored with 7pts.

Nissan Arana wins Sunday’s 120-Mile race
Nissan Edgar Arana of the Westrac Alliance Team won the 120-mile race to Mount Hope and back to Leslie’s Imports on the George Price Highway on Sunday, February 21. Top 10 Results: 1st Nissan Arana – Team Westrac Alliance – 4:57:21 2nd Brandon Cattouse – C-ray road Addikz – 4:57:34 3rd Ron Vasquez – Team Western Spirit – 4:57:42 4th Herman “Hijo” Requena – Team SMART 5th Ron Mckenzie – Team Westrac Alliance 6th Joel Vanegas – Team DigiCell 4G 7th Angel Tzib – Team BECOL Uprising 8th Quinton Hamilton – Unattached 9th Robert Lima Stewart – Team Western Spirit 10th Giovanni Lovell – Team DigiCell 4G

Compre girls win football championship
Western Zone football champs Belmopan Comprehensive School girls won the high school female football nationals hosted by St. John’s College high school at the MCC Garden over the weekend. In the championship final on Saturday afternoon, the Compre girls blew away Northern Zone champs, Corozal Community College girls 3-0 with Viviannie Pivarel scoring the 1st goal in the 1st half. After the break, Jayda Brown scored a 2nd goal; and Ana Arias scored the 3rd goal. In 3rd place on Saturday morning, the Southern Zone champs Independence High girls won 1-0 over SCA when Luz Acevedo scored a penalty late in 2nd half. On Friday, the Compre girls came back from a 1-0 deficit to spank the Independence High School girls 3-1. The CCC girls had to go to penalties to eliminate Central Zone champs, the St. Catherine’s Academy girls 4-2.

Fuel prices to increase
A late-afternoon press release from the Government of Belize has indicated that fuel price are once more in the rise. The release indicates that the Government has adjusted its tax structure to reflect international costs for crude oil imports. As a result, GOB is increasing its import duties for Premium Gasoline by 40 cents, Regular Gasoline by 30 cents and Diesel by $80 cents. GOB will also increase the price of fuel at the pumps for Regular and Diesel fuel. Regular is increasing from $7.61 per gallon to $7.98, while Diesel will increase from $6.52 to $7.52. Premium fuel will dip from $9.30 per gallon to $8.99 per gallon.

Fruta Bomba fires 123 workers as company closes
Life just got drastically harder for one hundred and twenty three workers who received the terrible news on Friday, February 19th that they no longer had jobs at Fruta Bomba Limited in the Corozal District. A week before, company executives confirmed that they will be closing their papaya farming and exporting operations in Belize due to unsustainable operational costs and little help from the Government. The company indicated that they would close in six months, and that its 250 employees would have to look elsewhere for jobs. The 123 workers terminated on Friday represent mostly field workers. In interviews this week, the clueless Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Agriculture Gaspar Vega suggested that the fired workers could probably find jobs in the sugar industry. Vega should know that the sugar industry is also barely surviving. How will 123 workers find jobs in an industry which almost closed down two years ago because of financial troubles?

Belize – The cost of Fruta Bomba’s Closure
The papaya industry had its origins with a project funded by the United States. With the assistance of USAID (United States Agency for International Development), a company called Belize Agribusiness Company (BABCO) was created in 1985. BABCO was successful agronomically but it was not able to set up a lasting marketing chain. In 1990, a former employee of BABCO who persisted was able to successfully grow the fruits in San Andres in Corozal. Marketing trials were carried out with J. R. Brooks, a marketing company based in Florida. Fruta Bomba was thus established as a subsidiary of Brooks Tropicals in Belize. Brooks Tropicals produces papaya in Mexico, Belize and Guatemala. Since then, Belize became the second largest exporter of papaya to the USA and Canada….second only to Mexico, and ahead of Brazil. This is a leadership position in a rapidly growing segment of tropical fruits….in large-value markets….with significant potential for long-term growth. Papaya is the fourth most important traded fruit in the world…behind banana, mango and pineapple. It only started getting popular over the last two decades, so it has much more to grow.

MY PERSPECTIVE – Men in the Equation
Belizeans remember keenly the threat of the EBOLA virus and about the refusal by authorities to allow a person suspected of being infected to disembark in our waters. It was a serious thing. Now there is the extremely serious ZIKA virus going around in Latin America, the Caribbean and Central America. Importantly, Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador have all reported confirmed cases of the virus. This is truly extremely serious business. In West Africa the incidences of Ebola have vastly been reduced, signalling the end of the epidemic there for now. But ZIKA looms large, and it is to be dreaded and prevented at all costs. Again, the mosquito is the vector, as it is for dengue and chikungunya. Many people do not even know they have been infected, and there is no vaccine. What is terrifying is that, although science has not positively confirmed this, the causal link between ZIKA virus and microcephaly is ‘strongly suspected.’ Babies being born with small heads and brains that have not sufficiently developed cause intellectual disability.

PUP Leader meets Corozal North & Corozal South West Executive Committees
On Tuesday, February 23rd, Party Leader Hon. John Briceño started his tour visiting key Party officials who form the machinery of the PUP. His first visit was to the Corozal North Executive and Corozal South West Executive Committee members. The Party Leader presented his plans to re-energise the Party and get it fully prepared for battle to take Belize back from the disastrous United Democratic Party. The Party Leader also listened to the concerns and suggestions of Committee members. The Party Leader was joined by the Party Chairman Henry C. Usher. The Leader will be visiting all 31 divisions as part of this tour.

A BELIZEAN PROMETHEUS
Assad Shoman is the man who brought the idea of independence to Belize. He was the spark plug, the engine and the driver who finally steered our nation to political independence. Assad did not do it alone as he would be the first to admit, but without him it is unlikely we would have shuffled off our colonial shackles and reach nationhood. Thirty-five years after independence he is not even living in the country. He has taken up residence in the land of the great revolutionary, Fidel Castro. The thing is Belize needs its Assad Shoman once more as it is clear we need his help against the existential threat of Guatemala, whose claim to half our country and all of our future is becoming more real and urgent. I can’t remember when I first met Assad Shoman. I remember meeting his bosom buddy Said Musa. It was the morning after hurricane Greta. Evan X Hyde, myself and “Baby Allan” were going around the city surveying the aftermath. We eventually landed up either at Said’s home or at a club on North Front Street where Said’s law firm presently stands.

PUP Unity Is the Way
Johnny Briceno is the new Leader of the People’s United Party. In a peaceful, free, and fair National Convention in Belmopan on Sunday January 31st, the majority of close to 3,000 delegates supported Johnny for the leadership position. His team also won the other positions up for elections by large margins. Now that the convention is over, all Area Representatives, Standard Bearers, National Executive members, the leaders of the Marshalls, the Belize Youth Movement, and the Women’s Group, and all rank and file supporters of the People’s United Party should respect the decision of the delegates. We must work together in every possible way to make the party victorious in future polling especially the next general election. Unity was one of the main demands of the people across the length and breadth of the country as they were courted by the three candidates, who vied for leadership on January 31st. We are all tired of suffering as a result of losing all nine elections since 2008 largely due to party infighting. Magnanimous in victory, Johnny has stated that he will offer meaningful positions on the Party’s National Executive to both Francis Fonseca and Cordel Hyde, who also vied for the leadership. That will be done to ensure that those two gentlemen play a critical role in the rebuilding of the party. It is good to know that both individuals have accepted the offer.

“Quo Vadis” University of Belize?
I read with interest last week’s editorial in the Amandala which was written in response to an article that was penned by Dr. Dorian Barrow in The Reporter Newspaper a few weeks ago. The Editor expressed his disappointment that other educators had not joined in the debate. To provide some background on my “bona fides” to participate in the discussion I submit the following. I have worked in the Belize Educational System for 38 years unofficially and for 35 years officially. My involvement began as a pupil teacher at the age of 14 and I received my First Class Teachers Certificate at the age of 18. I was appointed Principal of a Primary school at the age of 18 and in 1968 I graduated from the Belize Teachers’ College as the Best All Round Student. After 7 years in the Primary School System I went on to teach at Wesley College, Lynam Agricultural College and Belize Jr. Secondary School #1(EP Yorke). After serving 11 years in the Secondary School System I was appointed Lecturer at the Belize Teachers’ College. In 1990 I completed a PhD in the Administration of Higher Education and was appointed Vice President of UCB where I served until 2000 when I left to pursue a career in Health Administration at the KHMH. To summarize, my experience consists of 5 years in the Primary Education level, 11 years at the Secondary Education level and 22 years at the Tertiary Education level.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Annual Street Art Festival held
Downtown Belize City played host to the fifth annual Street Art Festival organized by the National Institute of Culture and History (NICH). Albert Street, from Orange Street to South Street, was covered by booths selling various items such as jewellery, bags, and handicrafts, as well as food, wines and snacks. Featured children’s activities includes graffiti using chalk on concrete and face painting. Live bands performed for passersby and patrons with music of various genres, and in the afternoon, the performance group Youth Advocacy Through Arts (YATA), treated an audience, primarily teenagers, to a performance of its newest play “Deaf Chorus”; addressing issues of gang violence among youth.

International Sourcesizz

An Informed Traveler Is a Safer Traveler
“There’s a lot going on in the world,” said Daniel Durazo, director of communications at Allianz Global Assistance USA, which sells travel insurance. “There’s a lot of noise out there about the dangers of traveling.” Yet we’re generally terrible at adjusting the volume. “How scared or not you are is an emotion, not a statistic,” said David Ropeik, a risk consultant and the author of “How Risky Is It, Really?” As fans of haunted houses will attest, risk and being scared are two different things. But Mr. Ropeik’s point is that in the battle between your gut and your brain, your gut will win. One way to make sensible choices as a traveler is to nudge your gut toward rationality by feeding it accurate information, which is easier said than done. Zika and terrorism are the latest high-decibel threats. But there are also some deafening silences. For example, you hear very little about the leading cause of nonnatural deaths among Americans abroad: motor vehicle accidents. According to the latest figures available from the State Department, 223 Americans died abroad in car, bus or motorcycle accidents between July 2014 and June 2015. Other causes of death (homicide, suicide and drowning) also far outweigh terrorism. Sixteen Americans died of “terrorist action” in that period, all but four in places you already know not to go: Syria, Libya, Afghanistan and Somalia.

Expat Insights Part IV: Food and drink, Mexico vs. Belize
For the last article of these series comparing life in Belize to Mahahual, Quintana Roo Mexico. I will talk about how superior Mexico is to Belize in anything that has to do with food & drink. As I said before, I lived in Belize for almost 2 years, and I have lived in Mahahual for the last 4 years. I lived in Corozal and Kich Pan Ha, Belize, and have traveled extensively through Belize. I get asked all the time about life in Belize, and which do I prefer the most, living in Mahahual or Belize. At the cruise ship port I talk to a lot of people who get off the boat at Costa Maya Port after their ship was in Belize the day before or so. I also encounter some tourists on their way to Belize, and they always ask me about it and what to expect. As I have written in earlier posts, people from USA and Canada are attracted to the fact that English is spoken in Belize and that makes a lot of them inquire about retiring there. But there are a lot of other factors in deciding where to retire on the Caribbean, and in this post I will address one of the main factors, Food & Drink. Today I am going to compare food and drink in Belize with Mahahual and Costa Maya.

Researchers Explore the Role of the Prehistoric Kayuko Mounds in Maya Royal Accession Ceremonies
Around the world and throughout history many rulers who’ve taken power have said their authority is ordained by God. In Europe it was called the divine right of kings and in China the mandate of heaven. Apparently people in the ancient Maya societies of Mesoamerica had a similar concept, though we don’t know what they may have called it. Some researchers working at a prehistoric site in Belize believe that a group of manmade mounds near a sacred cave were used in royal accession ceremonies by a king seeking approval of the deities. Archaeologists Holley Moyes , Mark Robinson, and Keith M. Prufer wrote in the February 2016 issue of the closed-access journal Antiquity: “The cave of Kayuko Naj Tunich is believed to have been the location of the accession ceremonies for the royal dynasty of the ancient Maya Uxbenká polity in southern Belize. Little is known, however, about the structures referred to as the Kayuko Mound Group that lie close to the cave. Excavations have now provided evidence for the date of this complex, and experimental research has estimated the labour costs involved in its construction. The results suggest that while both the mound group and the cave were involved in the celebration of royal accession, the former acted as a short-lived festival site in contrast to the enduring significance of Kayuko Naj Tunich.”

Videos

• Visions February 28, 44min.

• 6 Months Traveling in Mexico, Cuba, Belize & Guatemala, 4min.

• Team Adventure Medical Kits - Day 4 Highlights MMAC Belize 2016, 2.5min. Highlights from Day 4 of the Maya Mountain Adventure Challenge in Belize.

• Belize, 5min. Trip to Belize we took in January, 2016

• 2015 Belize I San Ignacio, 3.5min.

• 2006 BELIZE, 9min. Everette and I took our first exotic vacation...a business trip to Belize for 3 weeks in November of 2006 with 8.5 month old Anders. First night in Belize I announced to Everette that we were expecting our 9th baby!!

• Dancing at Swinging Armadillo, Hopkins, Belize, 3min.

• International dance Belize 2016, 4.5min.

• Brian Holland (geologist in Belize), 6min. As seen on "Greatest Places on Earth...Belize Technology Report." Produced by Steve ODell. Including a conversation between Brian Holland & Cadet Henderson.

• Belmopan Classic 2016 Champion - Joel Vanegas, 1min. Belmopan Cycling Classic is a 100 mile race hosted annually by The Cycling Federation of Belize. The race ordinarily runs from Belize City to Belmopan City and back, but this year it started and finished in Belmopan City after a going to Belize City.

• Belize 2016 - Island Weekend Getaway with the Boys, 3.5min. Weekend vacation away from Belmopan City exploring the Ambergris and Caye Caulker islands with my friends.

• Belize Birds and Lighthouse Reef 2016, 10.5min. Island Expeditions and Nat Geo Trip to Belize, Birdseyeview Lodge and Lighthouse Reef, Feb 2016.