FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

San Pedro police investigate abuse of local bartender; four officers placed on interdiction
Around 2AM on Thursday morning, March 3rd, San Pedro police responded to a call about a person struggling in the water near a resort just south of San Pedro Town. According to reports, police recovered 30-year-old Edwin Ixpatac, a local bartender, from the water. Ixpatac was intoxicated and had sustained injuries from washing against a sea wall. According to police Ixpatac was combative, and apparently kicked and struck at the officers who were assisting him. Ixpatac was taken to the San Pedro police department where he was detained overnight. Later that day police carried an injured Ixpatac to the Dr. Otto Rodriguez San Pedro Polyclinic II. In grave condition, he was transported to Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital where he is reportedly on life support. According to police the sergeant in charge that night made a poor discussion in not immediately taking Ixpatac to the polyclinic. Reports are that Ixpatac may have been abused while in custody as well. As such four San Pedro officers were immediately put on interdiction and are now in police custody in Belize City awaiting charges.

Police Report
On Thursday, February 25th at 5:30PM, acting on Special Branch (SB) intelligence, a joint team of SB and Gang Suppression Unit personnel conducted a search at the residence of 38-year-old Raymond Bradley and 33-year-old Phillipa Diego on Barracuda Street, Boca del Rio area. A thorough search was conducted in the premises which led to the discovery of a black plastic bag containing suspected Cannabis which was hidden inside a pipe. A total of 53 grams of suspected Cannabis was removed.

Wolfe’s Woofer: A Sure Thing
I was visiting a friend in the U.S. and every day I walked around for exercise. The sign in an office window said, Doctor John Bulwar. $500 for your treatment. If you are not cured you get back $1000. I know a sure thing when I see it so I walked in. When I saw how old the doctor was I knew for certain I would win some big money. I said, “Doctor, I’ve lost all taste in my mouth.” “Nurse!” he called. “Bring me a dropper of medicine from bottle 14 and put two drops on the patients tongue.” “A-a-c-c-h! This tastes like gasoline,” I said, when the drops hit my tongue. “Congratulations,” he said. “You’ve got your taste back. That will be $500.”

Total Allowable Catch set for Queen Conch and Sea Cucumber
In an effort to preserve the marine species Queen Conch (Strombus gigas) and Sea Cucumber (Holothuroidea), the Belize Fisheries Department has implemented Total Allowable Catch (TAC) for both fishing season. The Fisheries Regulations under Statutory Instrument number 54 of 2012 (Regulation 24A.1) has been amended by the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries, Forestry, the Environment and Sustainable Development in order to implement a set export quota for each species. This regulation has been put into play to safeguard diminishing populations of the species, and while it will not directly affect local fishers here in San Pedro, it will affect those who normally catch for exportation.

Doctor Love: Teenage Love and Abusive Partners
Dear Doctor Love, I am fifteen years old and I recently went to a giant party for my friend’s quinceaños party. There was a boy there that I have liked for a long time. My good friend who was with me told me that he kept staring at me all night long, but I was afraid to look. She says he did not ask me to dance probably because he was with a date but I think it is just because I am very average looking. Now, I think about him all of the time. I can’t tell if I am just infatuated or not. We have known each other for years and we have talked in the past. I could talk to him if I don’t freeze up because I like him so much. I keep thinking that maybe he is just shy and he actually likes me. What should I do? /s/ Unsigned

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Kings Park Thunderbird 4-H Club Garden Club needs help
The Kings Park Thunderbird 4-H Club is looking for someone that is willing to volunteer their time in assisting the club in jump starting their garden project. Interesting persons can contact club President Ms. Keisha Baltazar at 6625474.

First Friday Tres Cocos Trash Pick Up
Thanks to so many recent donations, we were well armed with an array of trash picker uppers, which made this months effort so much easier!

Art Exhibition and Book Fair on Caye Caulker March 13
At Il Baretto in Oasi Apartment Rentals

Ruta Maya
It's a nice morning as racers get their gear ready for the next leg of racing which takes them from the village of "Double Head Cabbage" to "Burrell Boom Village." Estimated arrival in Boom is midday. Come on out and bring the family for a fun filled day. Good luck to all participants and happy racing.

Million dollar baby Shamir Aban returns from the US tonight
He underwent a successful surgery made possible through the efforts of World Pediatric Project and the KHMH. We happily welcome him home after being away for more than 2 months!

Opening of Women's Week
Opening of women's week. The women police officers and senior police officers of Belize Police Department Eastern Police Division's and Dept. Compol Blacket enjoying fellowship at Lake Independence Baptist Church. God bless you all.

Day 3 Ruta Maya results
Official Place, Class, and Times for this leg of the race Double Head Cabbage to Burrell Boom.

The Reporter

Guatemalan shot during crossfire with BDF soldiers in Chiquibul
Another encounter between Belize Defense Force (BDF) soldiers on foot patrol in the Chiquibul National Park and Guatemalans late last week ended in one of the Guatemalans being shot. The intruder was shot in the leg during a crossfire with BDF soldiers late last week in an area known as Cebada, where Guatemalans have known to conduct illegal logging, poaching, and harvesting of Xate. He had to be brought out of the park by the soldiers for medical attention and police processing. It is expected that the Organization of American States (OAS) will intervene and gather details of exactly where and how the incident occurred and then provide both Belizean and Guatemalan governments with that information. Meanwhile, Belize has already sent a diplomatic note to Guatemala, protesting that country’s military reaction towards Belizeans who were intercepted and prevented from going to the Sarstoon last weekend.

Annual Baron Bliss harbour regatta underway in Belize City
The 88th Baron Bliss Harbour Regatta is currently taking place in the Belize City Harbour in front of the BTL Park on New Town Barracks. The event is open to all sail boat classes on a traditional triangular course. The history of the “harbour regatta” as it is called locally originated in memory of Belize’s greatest benefactor, Henry Edward Ernest Victor Bliss, after whom it was named, to honour his love for the sea. The regatta is just one of several taking place this weekend in honour of Baron Bliss. On Monday, the annual wreath-laying ceremony will take place, at his grave site at the Baron Bliss lighthouse at Fort George.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Football execs made procedural error in attempted suspension: FIFA
While they had the power to suspend him, members of the Football Federation of Belize FFB’s executive should have left president Ruperto Vicente to call the meeting that would determine his fate. Representatives from Fifa and regional agency CONCACAF met for four hours yesterday […]

University of West Indies stepping up Zika eradication with Regional Task Force
The University of the West Indies (UWI) is not shunning from the challenge of Zika, but taking charge and addressing this disease by launching a new resource – the UWI Regional Task Force on Zika. Pro-Vice Chancellor, Graduate Studies and Research, University of the […]

Punta Gorda residents alert following early morning robbery
There was an armed robbery of Brads Store located on Main Middle Street in Punta Gorda Town this morning. Information to BMG is that two armed, masked suspects robbed the store and got away just before 8 in the morning. Police issued an advisory […]

Well known Independence resident gunned down
Dwayne Logan, a well-known Independence resident was fatally shot sometime last night by two masked men during an attempted robbery. According to a reliable source from within the Independence police formation, police suspect that Logan was involved in drug activity. Officials are presently investigating […]

Blogs

“We’re Content In Belize… And Don’t Plan On Moving”
Sue and George’s interest in Belize was piqued in 2010, while still living in Los Angeles. Sue read an AARP article about retiring in Belize and George watched an International House Hunters program about building a home there. George had long dreamed of building their ideal retirement home. But the Paolettis knew that it would be exorbitantly expensive to do so in Southern California. Having grown up in England, Sue hates rain. “When I researched Belize I discovered that the rainfall in Corozal in the north is only about 60 inches per year. So in February 2011, we took a two-week trip to Corozal,” she says. They had no intention of buying land on that very first trip, but two days before they were due to visit Corozal, they learned that a new subdivision had just opened, south of town. While in Corozal they checked out the property options. Sue says, “It was perfect for us. It was two miles out of town, on the bay, with one-third of an acre of land, and within our budget. We looked at each other, said ‘This is it’, knocked on the real estate agent’s door and asked ‘Where do we sign?’ “After that trip we flew back to the U.S., sold our house and furniture, drove through Mexico and arrived in Corozal in January, 2012.”

Blue Water Grill turns its charitable impulses toward the PolyClinic
Every month the Blue Water Grill, here in San Pedro, Belize, picks a different fund-raising project and matches a certain amount of the funds raised from their guests. December through February, for example, were dedicated to raising funds to refurbish Boca del Rio Park’s playground equipment — and they collected $10,234 to make it happen. They recently raised funds similarly for playground equipment at Central Park in downtown San Pedro. This month, the popular restaurant has set a goal of $8,000 to buy a new electrocardiogram (ECG/EKG) diagnostic machine for the Dr. Otto Rodriguez San Pedro PolyClinic, our only public medical facility on the island. Blue Water will match the first $2,000 raised and plans to continue this program into April if the whole $8,000 isn’t raised this month. This is huge.

International Sourcesizz

Albino whale “Gallon of Milk” makes second Mexican appearance
A female albino whale affectionately known as “Gallon of Milk” made her first appearance in seven years in an annual whale census off Mexico’s Pacific coast. The gray whale made a surprise appearance in a video, as Mexico’s National Commission of Natural Protected Areas (CONANP) was doing a routine whale count. And what may be more interesting than Gallon of Milk’s first sighting since 2009 is the appearance of a gray calf alongside her. That suggests that Gallon of Milk may have become a mother in the interim. “In the recent sighting, this time in the area known as Alambre Island in the Ojo de Liebre Lagoon, Gallon of Milk was accompanied by a calf that was completely gray, which must mean she has become a mother for the first time,” read a CONANP bulletin. Gallon of Milk is an unusual case among the whale species by virtue of her being an albino whale. The gene mutation albinism, which causes a lack of pigmentation in sufferers, is especially rare among marine mammals such as whales, though it is far more common in other types of mammals, as well as birds and reptiles.

A few more countries will join the CCJ before the end of this year
It seems that before the end of this year a few more countries will abolish appeals to the Privy Council and accept the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) as their final court. Both the government and the opposition in Antigua and Barbuda have agreed to accept the CCJ as the final appellate court, but prefer the electorates to know more about the regional court before a referendum is held, and to this end a public education programme is organized for Thursday. Several top legal personalities including President of the CCJ, Sir Denis Byron, Sir David Simmons, former Chief Justice of Barbados, Caricom Secretary General Irwin La Roque, Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne, will be among the resource persons at Thursday’s seminar which will be held at St Johns, the capital. So far only four countries, Guyana, Barbados, Belize, and Dominica have removed the Privy Council and accepted the CCJ as the final court, although the regional institution was inaugurated since April 2005 after 35 years of gestation. The idea of establishing the court was initiated by the Organization of the Commonwealth Caribbean Bar Association and in 1970 the Heads of Government of Caricom accepted the idea and slowly established the court. It is disappointing that Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago which were in the forefront are not yet members.

Central American Megaflyover to Measure Impacts of Humans & Cows in Largest Remaining Rainforests
Overflight will analyze widespread changes across Central American isthmus and examine status of largest five forests. With support from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, scientists from the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) have embarked on an ambitious plane-based survey to gauge the influence of humans and their livestock on the largest remaining forests in Central America. Dubbed the “Central American Megaflyover,” the project is gathering detailed images of the largest five remaining forest blocks in Mesoamerica in flights across six countries (Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama). The findings will inform, guide, and inspire conservation action on the ground to protect these natural treasures. The 5,000-kilometer (3100 miles) flight started on February 26th and will continue into the middle of March. An additional 3,000 kilometers (1900 miles) will be traveled overland. “What was once an unbroken corridor of biological wonders has become threatened by rapid deforestation and fragmentation– especially due to uncontrolled cattle ranching,” said Dr. Jeremy Radachowsky, Director for WCS’s Mesoamerica and Western Caribbean Program and a participant in the flyover. “However, each of Mesoamerica’s five largest forests are still larger than several U.S. states. We hope to gather vital data on the region’s last wild places and gain insights on how to conserve these remaining landscapes, the irreplaceable wildlife they contain, and the services they provide to local people and all of humanity.”

Videos

• Rare albino whale and calf filmed off Mexico coast, 1/2min. Marine biologists have spotted a rare albino whale off the coast of Mexico. The majestic white mammal, nicknamed "Gallon of Milk" because of her white sheen, was first seen by the National Commission of Natural Protected Areas in 2009.

• Belize, 7min. Ambergris Caye, Belize vacation February 2015.

• Belize 27 fev- 5 mars 2016, 2min. San Pedro

• Royal Caribbean Cruise Family Vacation 2015, 8min. This was our first Royal Caribbean Cruise family vacation ever. We shared it with another great family/friend of ours that showed us everything there is to know when vacationing through a cruise line. We had a blast at many levels and visited Belize and Cozumel, Mexico in the process. What an unbelievable experience to have shared with our friends. We would certainly recommend and try it again in the near future…

• Scuba Diving Tackle Box Canyon with Reef Sharks- Ambergris Caye, Belize- 02/2016, 6.5min.

• Will Maheia speaks on Guatemalan Incursion into Belize on Feb 27 2016, 15min. On Saturday, February 27th, 2015, exactly one year ago, 37 Belizeans were unlawfully detained by Guatemalan military while in Belizean territorial waters. On Saturday, February 27th, 2016, in commemoration of the first anniversary of said incident, “armed” Guatemalan military vessels unlawfully entered Belizean territorial waters and blocked ” unarmed” Belizean civilians from the free use and enjoyment of the Belizean side of the Sarstoon river.

• New River, Belize, 1.5min. On the way to the Lamanai Ruins in Belize and stopped to take a look at a Morelet crocodile.

• Blue Hole Belize, 2.5min.

• San Pedro and Caye Caulker BELIZE, 3min. A week in San Pedro and Caye Caulker

• BELIZE 2016, 3min. Scenes & Memories from Belize

• Nassau Grouper Spawning Aggregation, 1/2min. This species is critically endangered and is a vital resource to local fishers. A closed season (Dec. - Mar.), min./max. size and closed areas for spawning are in place to allow sustainable use of the species. WCS Belize has just completed it's 2016 surveys at the NE Point of Glover's Reef Atoll. Despite some poor weather the team manged to dive on 7 occasions around the full moon periods in January and February down to 130 ft. However, peak numbers were again down with a daily maximum of 300 fish recorded. Hooks, line and underwater light attractors are evidence of illegal fishing occuring at the site. Several grouper were freed from such gear after being tangled around coral. However, a vessel with Nassau grouper was apprenhended by the Belize Coast Guard early this month. We trust that the laws of Belize will be strictly applied to the poachers so that the resource may be sustainably extracted by those who follow the law.