Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#512347 - 03/12/16 07:40 PM Reef snorkeling
yland Offline
I understand that parts of the reef may be reached by a swim from the shoreline, yet that is not advised, due to boat traffic - but that may be reached by kayak.

Which area of the island is it? Which hotels are in that area?
Thank you.

#512348 - 03/12/16 08:11 PM Re: Reef snorkeling [Re: yland]
SimonB Offline
The reef can be reached by kayak from any hotel on the island (but shouldn't be during northers and heavy seas). Swimming to the reef should only be done at the very northernmost areas of the island (Tranquility Bay area, 13 miles north).

#512349 - 03/12/16 08:51 PM Re: Reef snorkeling [Re: yland]
yland Offline
Thanks!
Do you happen to know which budget-priced hotels have kayaks?

#512350 - 03/12/16 09:13 PM Re: Reef snorkeling [Re: yland]
elbert Offline
Simon, The new reserve at Mexico Rocks has rangers that are turning away tourist on kayaks and paddle boards that don't have a guide with them. The reserved area runs for several miles in front of a lot of hotels and condos on the middle/North of the island.
It's been good for my business because we sell more organized trips with guides to the reserve. I live in front of the reserve and my partner can't paddle board out to the reserve anymore.
I don't think any tourist visiting the country should be allowed to visit the reef with out a licensed tour guide.
Some day Belize will mature and catch up with the rest of the world, hopefully before the reef is destroyed by negative visitation.

#512359 - 03/13/16 01:51 PM Re: Reef snorkeling [Re: elbert]
JohnVan3 Offline
Do you think that there are not so ethical guides out there that bring dozens of tourists to the reef everyday only to encourage them to engage in potentially damaging acts. Like disturbing the marine life by feeding and touching the sharks and stingrays? How can you determine the number of ethical guides versus the ones only out to increase their profit?

#512360 - 03/13/16 03:20 PM Re: Reef snorkeling [Re: yland]
elbert Offline
There are good and bad everything but if they are a licensed tour guide it highly probable they have some knowledge about safety and respect for the reef and if it's just a tourist alone with a kayak, they will more than likely damage the reef unwittingly and often need rescuing from currents. There have been accidents and deaths with tourist that are sent out to the reef by hotels,condos and resorts that supplied them with the means but without a guide.

#512361 - 03/13/16 04:20 PM Re: Reef snorkeling [Re: yland]
yland Offline
Thanks for your replies to my post. It led me to investigate the Tranquility Bay property which sounds relaxing and off-the-beaten path.
We are travelers/divers who enjoy private adventures and snorkeling (rather than being with disturbing groups) ... so any lodging/daytrip Ambergris tips are appreciated.

PS I agree that tourists can and will damage your beautiful reef and respect your efforts to manage it. We want to be good guests. This is a big trip for my husband and I and our 3 kids (16,18, 20). We want them to remember the beauty and peace of your country, not just the hectic tourist spots.

Thanks. Sue

#512363 - 03/13/16 04:33 PM Re: Reef snorkeling [Re: yland]
elbert Offline
Tranquility is one of the prettiest and most pristine spots on the island, good choice.

#512504 - 03/19/16 08:53 PM Re: Reef snorkeling [Re: elbert]
CrackOfDawn Offline
My last reply I don't think showed. We stay at Sunbreeze hotel every year and get back in 2 weeks. Is Tranquility a reasonable golf cart trip? We can do hours on the cart and enjoy. We've been to a place a cant spell up there. Ixt Tec Han? But we took a water taxi. One day we'll charter to dive, one day Fido's and Palapa, one day south to the old Joe's and see if the old Rasafari ever reopened and hopefully charter one day to fish. Then make up the rest of the week. Tranquility sounds like a great option. Thanks in advance for your advice.

#512505 - 03/19/16 08:59 PM Re: Reef snorkeling [Re: yland]
SimonB Offline
It's 13 miles north so boat is the way to go. X'Tan Ha is about 7 miles north. Palapa has moved to where Wet Willy's used to be.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 24 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,212 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.