FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Doctor Love: Not Perfect and Big Problem
Dear Doctor Love, Ever since I was young I hated making mistakes. By the time I finished high school this had hurt me a lot. If I had to do a paper or a report it had to be perfect and it slowed me down. Now I am out of school and working and it is hurting me worse. I find myself taking longer than other people that do the same job. Nobody seems to care if it is perfect or not but I just can't let it go. What can I do? /s/ Not Perfect

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

San Pedro Lions Queen!
Congratulations Miss Solani Graniel! 2016/2017 San Pedro Lions Queen!

Congrats to San Pedro High School Male Softball team. Winner of the Nationals 2016!!!
Great Job!! Congrats to Marion Mejia for coaching a great team! Your hard work paid off guys!

Guatemala's increasingly aggressive advances on Belize and dearth of regional coverage
by Frank Edward Paco Smith, Jr. (JP), Chairman - Belize Progressive Party (BPP). On 12th March 2016, Belizean soldiers stationed at the current construction site of the Belize Defence Force's impending Forward Operating Base, near the mouth of the Sarstoon River (which is the southern boundary marking Belize's border with Guatemala), were accosted by elements of the Guatemalan Armed Forces (GAF). Amid the heightened tensions which have derived from the ever-increasing aggressive actions of the Guatemalan military, who have made it common practice to illegally enter Belize's territorial waters, I am completely taken aback to see that to-date, virtually no mention of this act of aggression, by Guatemala, has gained specific mention via the regional news outlets. Indeed the various mediums are vast and, within certain respects, I stand to be corrected, but I find this quite peculiar. I understand that media houses such as yours are dependent on receiving this manner of information, for forward dissemination. Hence my penning and submission of this correspondence. On the same token, though, I wish to uncover whether Caribbean News Now has received anything from Belize's local media houses. I am quite interested because given the current climate of corruption that is not only characteristic of the current government of Belize (GOB), but is also now par for the course involving the manner in which things are done, in my nation, I am wondering whether the local media houses have refrained from supplying information to the wider region, for fear of reprisal.

Santander Group produced first ever sugar as they prepare their mill for full steam ahead!
It's with great pride that we share with you the first sugar ever produced by The Santander Sugar Mill. March 12th, 2016

Oceana Reef Week 2016
Oceana Belize had their 2016 Reef Week, and had events all over the country, including an expo at their Belmopan campus. UB's Environmental Research Institute got some great pictures of the main event. Oceana also captured many of the moments of Reef Week. "Here are some highlights from our participation in Reef Week 2016. A special thank you to our student volunteers who devoted their time to assisting us with the Marine Science Education Program, Open Day and the Reef Fair."

La Semana Santa 2016
Benque celebrates La Semana Santa like no other! The Benque HoC has daily events over the next week. The Passion of the Christ procession is celebrating its 25th year. Happy Palm Sunday! "Live the momentum of Semana Santa 2016- Holy Week 2016 in Benque Viejo Del Carmen"

Indigenous community leaders meet
Indigenous community leaders of both Belize and Guatemala met this Friday in Punta Gorda to discuss common issues and outlined follow up steps. Asociacion Balam and FCD coordinated this effort.

The Reporter

UDP Convention underway in Dangriga
The United Democratic Party is hosting its endorsement convention in Dangriga. At the convention, delegates will endorse, for the next four years, the Party Leader Rt Hon Dean Barrow; the Second Deputy Leader, Erwin Contreras; the Party Chairman Alberto August; and the Deputy Party Chair [�]

BAPDA hosts prosthetic clinic
Over 51 amputees and their families gathered at the HelpAge Belize compound today Sunday, for the Belize Association for Persons with diverse Abilities' prosthetic clinic. Through the clinic, held through a collaboration between BAPDA and Prosthetic Hope International, amputees are evaluated to see if they [�]

UDP convention hits Dangriga
Today,Sunday, members and supporters of the United Democratic Party (UDP) gathered in Dangriga for the party's National Convention. Of a total of 706 delegates, 689 turned out to vote on matters relating to the party's future. Among those matters, the party appointed its current Secretary [�]

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Man drowns at sea in Corozal
A man has reportedly drowned at the Corozal Bay. The incident is reported to have occurred at 3:20 this afternoon at the Corozal bay in an area across from Caribbean Tires. Unconfirmed reports are that the man was on a jet ski with three other [�]

Police program in City targets minors and parents after dark
Eastern Division Police have implemented a program to address concerns about youths being on the streets after dark and vulnerable to being persuaded to commit crime. While he would not give us specific details via telephone yesterday, Assistant Commissioner of Police in charge of [�]

United Democratic Party approves amendments to party constitution
At its national convention ongoing today in Dangriga, the United Democratic Party (UDP) unanimously approved two amendments to its Constitution. The first deals with the appointment of the party's Secretary General, currently Pearl Stuart, to the Central Executive Committee. The second, more consequential amendment [�]

CitCo to spend millions on infrastructure works
The Belize City Council is addressing several areas of Belize City that it had put on hold to renovate due to lack of funding. According to Belize City Mayor Darrell Bradley, Cinderella Plaza and the remaining portions of Baymen Avenue and Kelly Street will [�]

Belize City recognized as "child-friendly" municipality
This past week saw all nine municipalities of Belize recognized as child-friendly by the United Nations Children Fund. Belize City was last in line and the ceremony took place on Friday in the Battlefield Park despite the Old Capital not quite meeting all the [�]

Driver faces charges after bicyclist killed in accident
A bus driver is expected to face multiple charges in relation to a traffic accident which occurred on Friday night between miles 16 and 17 on the George Price Highway in the vicinity of Hattieville Village. Franco Audinette, driver for Shaw's Bus out of Unitedville, [�]

Rene Chavarria shot dead in Ladyville
Police from Rural Eastern Division have detained several persons of interest in connection with the murder of 25 year old Rene Sanders Chavarria of Ladyville, Belize District, on Friday night. Chavarria was riding his bicycle, heading home from the direction of the Phillip Goldson Highway around 9:00 when [�]

Blogs

Sneak Preview Of Two New Businesses on The Leeward Side of Ambergris Caye
Just as you are entering Secret Beach proper, you come upon a new business-to-be. We headed back to say hi to Ryan who is building the spot with his family and to check out the progress of "Paradise on the Caye"� Right now they are finishing the two cabanas and the main house with a common room for guests and an upstairs deck and bar area. There is no other place like it on the island. Set up a telescope on the top deck and watch the super stars fly into Blackadore Caye. The perfect spot. And for a sense of where we are�here is the view from behind the B&B�if you look close, you can see Grand Caribe Resort across the island. Next, we were headed northward. A boat pick up and we were cruising up to Cayo Francis Farm & Fly. (You can see the huge Cayo Francis lagoon on the map above.) After about a 20 minute ride, you turn into a very shallow lagoon�crystal clear and surrounded by mangroves. And then a main building�a larger house�solar power�two gorgeous cabanas all on this gorgeous green patch of land. Kayaks and stand up paddle boards.

Belize's Laughing Bird Caye: Find Tranquility on this Tiny Atoll
If a Belizean tells you that Laughing Bird Caye is for the birds, it's okay to believe him. This little isle situated within an azure lagoon is a popular place for visitors and residents who appreciate the nation's ecological wonders. If you're eager to see how it feels to perch on an island that's just 1.4 acres in size, put this destination atop your Belize itinerary. That said, don't let the size of this caye fool you because there's lots to do here: swim, picnic, scuba diving or do nothing but lie on the white sand. You won't be the first visitor to find contentment staring up at palm trees and cotton-candy clouds. This little atoll is found on Victoria Channel's western side. Only 11 miles off the Placencia Village coast in the Stann Creek District, Laughing Bird Caye has the distinction of being the southernmost island in the Barrier Reef lagoon. Hire a guide in Hopkins, Placencia Village or elsewhere on the Placencia Peninsula to enjoy your Laughing Bird Caye outing to the max. Tour fees cover the boat ride from Placencia Village to the Caye and back. Depending upon your desires, everything from a picnic lunch to scuba gear can be provided by your licensed tour operator. The best way to start your Laughing Bird Caye adventure is by acknowledging the many statutes governing this National Park so you obey restrictions. A typical day might be snorkeling to observe fish and turtles beneath the lagoon surface, lounging on the beach, indulging in a barbecue lunch and spotting birds who dwell in this area. Osprey, Green Herons, Melodious Blackbirds and Brown Pelicans who long ago made their peace with human visitors are happy to share their atoll with you when you come for a visit.

International Sourcesizz

The Great Barrier Reef coral bleaching: Australian wonder is turning white; Heat stress causing algae to disappear
The Great Barrier Reef, the world's largest living ecosystem stretching 2,000 kms along Australia's northeast coast, is suffering from coral bleaching. The damage is much worse than previously expected. The Australian wonder, which brings in billions of dollars in tourism revenue, has reached such a huge level of coral bleaching that authorities have been forced to increase its threat level to the highest possible category. On Sunday, the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority lifted its alert level to level three, which means severe regional bleaching, which has the capacity to destroy the entire underwater ecosystem, has been detected. The revised bleaching level comes only a week after the authorities increased the coral bleaching warning from level one to two. In areas such as the remote far north on inshore Cape York reefs, up to half of the coral are dying because of prolonged higher than average sea surface temperatures. Environment Minister Greg Hunt took a ride over the reef to observe badly hurt areas around Lizard Island, north of Cairns. Surveys carried out by divers have revealed intense bleaching, writes Sky News.

From Memphis to Puglia: Spring's Hottest Travel Destinations
The temps might still be on the cooler side, but the time to plan spring travel is now. And, no, we're not talking about a "spring break!" rager. For the inside scoop on the season's coolest destinations, we turned to a host of travel industry experts. While Australia continues to be a favorite and Iceland is still riding its wave of popularity, they also shared a host of more unexpected destinations-both domestic and international-to look into for your next adventure. So if you're looking to get away this spring, here are 11 places you should be exploring. Start setting those fare alerts now. Placencia, Belize : "Turtle Inn has been here for years now, but the opening of Itz'ana (Ka'ana's sister property) in November will put Placencia on the map," says Pindar. "This small fishing village has charming little restaurants, the best gelato in Belize, and the world's second-largest coral reef system nearby. We're really excited about this opening and have been tracking this for a few months now. It will have 39 villas, a farm-to-table restaurant by chef Mara Jernigan, a rum room, and a Mayan-inspired spa using locally harvested botanicals."

Videos

• On the Road: Hummingbird Highway, 1min. Just a funny action video that I made on the way to pickup my wife from the Belize International Airport.

• Harrier GR3 Belize, min. 1417 Flight Harriers filmed in Belize 1991. Sorry for the poor quality its taken from a VHS tape. It takes around 10 seconds to start.

• Guatemala & Belize, 3min.

• BELIZE: MtViewCampground, 3min.

• Our Belize Story, 4.5min.

• Belize jaguar, 1/2min. Banana Bank Lodge, Belmopan, Belize Tikatoo the rescued jaguar.

• Silk Cayes, Belize 2016, 5.5min. Snippets from a dive/snorkel trip to the Silk Cayes in Belize. My underwater light flooded, so the color isn't as nice as it would have been otherwise! Some things seen are an eel, sea cucumber, lion fish, shark, barracuda, lobster, me playing with bubbles during a safety stop, sea turtle, southern sting ray, eagle ray, and several other strange fish!

• Funny Frank Takes Us Snorkeling in Belize!, 5min. Funny Frank took my GoPro with him to help show us the reef of the Laughing Bird Caye in Belize.

• The Solution to the Belize Guatemala Territorial Dispute, 24min. Patrick Rogers, political leader and Paco Smith, Chairman of the Belize Political Party speaks about the solution to the Belize-Guatemala Territorial Dispute.

• USMA SCUBA Spring Break 2016 - San Pedro, Belize, 4min.

• Belize 2016, 5.5min.

• Belize 2015- School Trip, 4min. Shen High School spring break trip!

• Belize snorkeling, 7min. great snorkeling in Belize, nurse sharks, rays, cow fish. good fun.

• Belize Scuba Dive: Turtles and Sharks, 5min.

• Belizean Resistance In Southern Belize: The Annexation of Sarstoon Island by Guatemala!, 36min. The August 14, 2015, KREM TV, Wake Up Belize show with the revolutionary Belizean talk show host, Mose Hyde, featured Belizean Journalist Bilal Morris of the Los Angeles based Belizean organization BREDAA discussion the resistance movement that has developed against the insidious Guatemalan military oligarchy aggression and annexation of the southern Belizean island of Sarstoon on the Belize Sarstoon River. The two Belizean journalist and activists discussed the revolutionary actions of the Belize Territorial Volunteers (BTV) in their relentless resistance against the Guatemalan military oligarchy aggression since 2008 after the signing of the 2008 Compromis between the Belizean government and the Guatemalan government that would have taken both countries into a referendum to take the Belize/Guatemalan Dispute to the international Court of Justice. Since that time, the Guatemalan government has encouraged massive encroachments on Belizean land at the Southern border of Belize, and has violently aggressed Belizeans citizens, the Belize Coast Guard, and murdered a Belizean security personnel, Danny Conorquie. The issue is close to become an international catastrophe with the Guatemalan military blockade of the BTV expedition to the Sarstoon Island on Sunday August 16, 2015, as a show of resistance to establish claim to the island as Belizean territory.