Just recently I heard that people were getting deliveries of fresh organic lettuce and greens. The company called Ambergreens Organic Aquaponics Greenhouse was up and running. The very first of its kind on the island.

I’d visited a hydroponics greenhouse on the Belize mainland over a year ago – that supplies some of the bagged lettuce and greens here in San Pedro… But I wondered: what’s the difference between hydroponics and aquaponics? Here is my very basic understanding. Fish. The fish provide the fertilizer and keeps the whole system organic.

I walked over to Mahogany Bay to meet up with Markus and Melanie, the owners of the new business. Now let me show you the inside of the greenhouse.

Beautiful herbs, lettuces, mustard greens, rainbow chards, oh my…

They are now experimenting with peppers and cherry tomatoes (for those sick of the flavorless roma tomatoes)…there is more to come.

Check out their facebook page (the website is still under construction) and send them an email. Markus@AmberGreensOrganic.com and Melanie@AmberGreensOrganic.com to get on the mailing/inventory/price list.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos on San Pedro Scoop!