Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#512959 - 04/09/16 11:42 AM 2016 CODICADER Games
Marty Online   happy

CODICADER is Coming to the Jewel in July!

This year and for the first time, Belize gets to host the CODICAR games which are regional games that foster the integration movement in Central America. Belizean athletes have traditionally competed in the games and done well, this time they get to stay home and face the competition from the Central American region. They will compete in various disciplines at sporting facilities in Belize City, Orange Walk, Belmopan and San Ignacio. This morning the announcement was made by the Minister of State for Sports. News Five’s Isani Cayetano reports.

Isani Cayetano, Reporting

Belize, for the very first time, will be hosting the CODICADER Games in July.  The Central American Council of Sports and Recreation, as it is formally known, is an agency of SICA.  Its primary objective is to aid in the bolstering of integration, solidarity and peace among member states.  As such, the games will see student athletes between the ages of six and twelve from across Central America participate is six days of challenges in various sporting disciplines.

Ritchel Dominguez, National Sports Directors

Ritchel Dominguez

“We in Belize, it’s very rare we get to host these competitions and that is why is I think my staff and myself, and even Genesis Arts, who have come onboard to partner with us, are excited and we are all excited and waiting for that day.  And we are doing our best that Belize may be represented and that the kids coming may enjoy a good time in Belize.  We want to make CODICADER exciting.  We want to make CODICADER so that these kids that are coming enjoy Belize and take back that memory of how beautiful Belize is.”

The various sporting activities will include table tennis, football, basketball and volleyball and will be held simultaneously in Orange Walk, San Ignacio, Belmopan and Belize City.

Elodio Aragon

Elodio Aragon Jr., Minister of State, Ministry of Youth & Sports

“This is the first time ever Belize will hold the under-thirteen CODICADER Games for primary school students.  It has not been an easy task because at the end of the day everything comes down to resources.  But I’m proud to know that we have come together at the level of the ministry, at the level of the National Sports Council, stakeholders and businesses in Belize to make this a reality.  This will become a reality for Belize and I know that we are all anxious for this to happen here in July.  I wish to take this opportunity to share with you what CODICADER stands for and why these games provide a great social and economic opportunity for Belize.”

CODICADER, made up of government-led sports organizations in the various countries, has put together a calendar of events for 2016 which includes the Under-thirteen games in Belize in the coming months.

Elodio Aragon Jr.

“CODICADER’s membership is comprised of ministries of sports in each Central American country.  One of the responsibilities of CODICADER is the implementation of the Central American Games for students at the primary and secondary levels and for persons with disabilities.  In 2016, three CODICADER events will be held in the region.  Belize will kick off the games with the primary school competitions to be held from July sixth to the eleventh, 2016.  This will be followed by Honduras who will host the secondary schools competition in September of this year and then Nicaragua who will host the games for persons with disabilities in November of this year.”

Isani Cayetano reporting for News Five.

Channel 5

#513781 - 05/17/16 10:48 AM Re: 2016 CODICADER Games [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

CODICADER Coming Closer, Where’s The Cash To Cover Costs?

The CODICADER games, which will be held in Belize this year, are just around the corner. The games are scheduled for July 6th to the 12th.

Meanwhile the National Sports Council and the Ministry of Sports are still hosting primary school competitions to decide which schools will be participating in each of the 4 disciplines. Today we got an update from Director of the National Sports Council Ritchel Dominguez:

According to the National Sports Council the projected budget to host the event in Belize is a whopping $800 thousand dollars. Government has committed to make a contribution, but no final figure has been mentioned. But, it won't be 800 grand, and that's why the National Sports Council is asking the business community to pitch in and make this event a success.

Channel 7

#514186 - 06/04/16 11:19 AM Re: 2016 CODICADER Games [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Is Belize Ready For CODICADER? Assessors Are Here

More than a thousand kids from 6 different Central American Nations will be coming to Belize, along with their coaches, and chaperones next month. They are coming to participate in CODICADER - an annual tournament for primary schoolers under the age of 13. Now, for the first time in the history of CODICADER the event is being held in Belize.

Representatives from each of the participating countries are here today to do a pre- inspection visit of the proposed facilities for the competitions. Today the Belize CODICADER committee held a press briefing inside the VIP lounge at the International Airport where they officially welcomed the visiting delegates from 5 of the participating countries.

Hon. Elodio Aragon, Min. of State, Youth and Sports
"Today I extend a warm welcome to the CODICADER Assessment team. This team is comprised of 2 representatives from each participating country; Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador and Honduras. This team is here to assess Belize's readiness for hosting the upcoming under 13 CODICADER Games."

Roxana Calderon, Tech. Sec., CODICADER, El Salvador
"Well first of all in the area of sports, we have to make sure that the facilities comply with the minimum requirements for international competitions, that the measurements of the fields are in accordance with the national and international regulations of CODICADER. We need to make sure that the accommodations for the kids are secure and that there is a lot of security because right now security in Central America is a very delicate topic. We also need to make sure that the immigration process does not make it so difficult to bring in so many under-age children. We need to make sure that there are hospitals available, so its thinks like this that the delegations worry about when they are brining that amount of children on our behalf."

Hon. Elodio Aragon, Min. of State, Youth and Sports
"Well I think that we are well prepared, I think the government has invested a lot in sporting facilities. I think all our sporting facilities, the ones in Belize City, in the Cayo districts namely Belmopan and San Ignacio, those are up to scratch. I think we won't have any problems there. The complex that will be used in Orange Walk, that needs a little work, not that much. We have already secured funding to give towards that support to ensure we get that facility up and running to the standards we believe is necessary. Apart from that I think we are good to go. The organization, the committee that we have formed in terms of the different ministries and the different people that we need to ensure that we want to be able to raise the resources, to enable, to coordinate and the logistical expectation that we need to do for these games, I think all of that is in order. We are looking forward to a very successful CODICADER games here between July 8th - 11th. We think that that will be a grand success for us."

Tomorrow the delegation will visit the Facilities in Orange Walk and Belize City, and on Sunday they head on over to the proposed facilities in Belmopan and San Ignacio. The visitors head back to their respective countries on Monday where they will submit a report to the head office of CODICADER as well as their local CODICADER committees.

Channel 7

#514237 - 06/07/16 09:59 AM Re: 2016 CODICADER Games [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

CODICADER Gave Green Light To Belize

On Friday delegates from 5 participating countries of CODICADER visited Belize for a pre-game site inspection. It was the last test for Belize as the host country for CODICADER. And the good news today is that we passed. The delegation went to Orange Walk on Friday where they visited the Complex building. Then they went to the Elementary School in Belize City, where the table tennis will be held. On Sunday they traveled to Belmopan where they visited the Isidoro Beaton Stadium and later that day, the delegation visited the Sacred Heart RC School in San Ignacio. At the end of the inspection all sites received an A level review except for the Complex building in Orange Walk, which received a B. The delegates wanted a few minor changes to the court and according to the National Sports Council they should have that in order in time for the games.

The regional competition takes place from the 6th to the 12th of July.

Channel 7

#515786 - 07/06/16 10:10 AM Re: 2016 CODICADER Games [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

CODICADER Opening Rich With Talent

And while that generous donation will help the teams gear up for the games, NICH is also preparing for their grand opening show for the CODICADER Games on Thursday. Now usually, all the formalities of an opening ceremony are exhausting but the Communications and Marketing Officer from NICH told us today that the show they have planned will blow you away.

Holly Edgell - Comm. and Mktg. Officer, NICH
"Belize and there's never a dull moment it seems when you come from June through the end of the year and one of the next things coming in our calendar is sports related but NICH has a role in it. So, that is the Codicader opening ceremonies on Thursday and the reason why we are involved is that the institute for creative arts is producing the entire opening ceremony. So, this is not going to be just some kids coming in, sing the national anthem and go home. This is going to be a show that really embraces the children from all over Central America. Remember, these are kids, these are ages 6 to 11. So, these are young kids who are coming really for sportsmanship for participating and it might be their 1st trip out of their home country and for Belize players this may be for the first time competing on the international level. So, starting at 4:30 at Marion Jones Stadium, we are going to have marimba, we are going to have steal bands, we are going to have marching bands, we are going to have dance. The theme is Colors of Central America but there's going to be a strong Caribbean flavor in there as well because we know that Belize can bring that to the table unlike some of the other countries in the region. So, all the countries will be representing..., we are expecting more than nine hundred kids, that's Belizeans and other Central American countries and a really beautiful ceremony to kick things off. There is going to be torch just like the Olympics. There's going to be an oath that athletes all take an oath for sportsmanship, a lot of fun surprises. So, it's free. I really encourage people to come and cheer on the kids on Thursday at Marion Jones Stadium."

The steel band and other participants in the opening act have been practicing for weeks. The theme for the show is Colors of Central America.

ASR Comes Through For CODICADER

Last week it was BWS that was making a generous financial contribution to the CODICADER initiative. Today ASR decided to pitch in with a sweet donation- as sweet as sugar you could say. A grant of $12,500 dollars was handed over today at a very brief ceremony at the National Sports Council Office in Belize City. William Neal, the Communications and Government Affairs representative for ASR/BSI was present to hand over a check which will be used to cover costs of purchasing sweat-suits for the kids representing Belize at this year's CODICADER games.

William Neal - Comm./Gov. Affairs. ASR/BSI
"Generally ASR is one of the companies especially in Orange Walk, that whenever there are any sporting events or any community events that is approached very often for funding, they have a committee that looks at where the monies will serve the communities best and generally because we work with farmers who are, in terms of a localized area, either from Orange Walk or Corozal, we look at maximizing that. This year we looked at where it would have the most impact and definitely contributing to this initiative twelve thousand dollars plus. It was definitely something that we saw as worthwhile given the fact that we do have sports being organized but it's not with an international flair that would expose our young people to competitions and competitors from throughout the region. So, we thought that this would be a worthwhile initiative to support."

Ritchell Dominguez - Dir. National Sports Council
"Well, what has happened is that we have asked ASR to come on board with us in providing sweat suit and uniforms for our Belizean teams and we are glad today to say that ASR has fulfilled that part in doing the sweat suits and the uniforms for the athletes of Belize. So, the Belize Team is ready. We have the sweat suits that should be delivered this evening and I can say that the Belize teams have their uniform and everything ready to go."

Emanuel Pech
"How far does this bring you in terms of trying to reach your financial quota?"

"Well, I can say we are all most there. We are falling short by a little bit, but we go ahead hoping that the companies that we have asked to come on board will come on board at the end of the day."

The organizing committee says they are still short of $300 thousand dollars to host the games in Belize, which might seem daunting for an event that is literally hours away. But According to Director of the Sports Council Ritchel Dominguez, they are forging ahead with what they've got.

CODICADER Effort Still Short 300K!

So while hosting the games is one thing, participating and even competing in the tournament is quite another. So it begs the question, are the Belize delegates well poised and ready to take on the players from the region in their own home court? We asked Dominguez today about the players in the Belize roster and if he believes that this roster will ensure that a few medals remain at home. Here is what he told us.

"Yes all rosters have been in yesterday, was the deadline for every country to send in their rosters and we vet them. What will happen this evening is that we are going to share different rosters with different countries. Belize is going to check El Salvador, El Salvador is going to check Honduras and this is what is going to happen this afternoon. I know we'll be up late this evening to vet them but we are ready and willing to go."

Emanuel Pech
"That's 1 thing to host the event, it's another to participate and to actually compete in the event. Are you satisfied with the roster that you have that we will be able to show a little competition in these games?"

"Yes, we do because our teams have been working out ever since we heard we were hosting Codicader, but really at this age 6 to 11, it's not about competition but its more about participation. Codicader says at that age it's not about competition but it's more about participation to get the kids ready for the next level which is from 12 to 14, that's more the competitive age."

So while the national sports director had more of a diplomatic answer to this question, for the coaches and players of the male and female national basketball team, the whole purpose of participating is to win. Today we got a chance to speak to them in their brand new uniforms and got a taste of their winning spirit.

Brian Michael - Coach, Bz Female Basketball Team
"Less than 3 months of hard work. Some of them couldn't even get up for school the next day. So, they proved to me that they really want to do this so, I just work with them to the best of my ability."

Emanuel Pech
"What was some of the things that you did in preparation for preparing them for this game?"

"Well, the team that won some of the players were kind of old. Because it was Under-12 tournament. so what I did was to go to different schools and select the best players bring them together, make them come as one."

Emanuel Pech
"It's a combination of how many schools?"

"It is about 5 schools."

Emanuel Pech
"All from Belize City?"

"All from Belize city. One from Belmopan."

Emanuel Pech
"How long have you been working with your team?"

Briah Clarke - Basketball Player, CODICADER
"2 months."

Emanuel Pech
"Now in these 2 months is there anything in particular that you learnt that you didn't know already?"

"Yes sir."

Emanuel Pech
"What is some of those things?"

"Dribble with my left hand and passing the ball around and things like that."

Emanuel Pech
"How long have you been playing basketball outside of this camp?"

"Since I was 3."

Emanuel Pech
"So you have what it takes to take on this big challenge."

"Yes sir."

Emanuel Pech
"Have you ever participated in CODICADER before?"

"No sir."

Emanuel Pech
"This will be your 1st time."

"Yes sir."

Emanuel Pech
"You think you is well and ready?"

"Yes sir."

Emanuel Pech
"You think your team is well and ready?"

"Yes sir."

Dijon Smith - Coach. Male Basketball Team
"Yes, we have a fighting chance, because they worked hard. They did a good job in training. Well, I teach them basics, like some pick and rolls and those things. Because when they reach they will have men taller than them. So, I teach them to boxed-out and how to get around."

Emanuel Pech
"How long have you been practicing and playing with these guys on your team?"

Delhart Dominguez - Basketball Player. CODICADER
"Over 3 weeks."

Emanuel Pech
"So, tell me do you think you are prepared? You, yourself and your team are prepared to take on this challenge?"

"Of course."

Emanuel Pech
"Now how long have you been playing basketball?"

"Like 3 years."

Emanuel Pech
"You love it?"

"Yes sir,"

Emanuel Pech
"Do you think you have what it takes to take on the big teams from across the region that will be coming here to participate?"

"Yes, we are just going to do our best."

Emanuel Pech
"What were some of the new things that you learned while at the camp with these guys?"

"Teach you how to show sportsmanship and how to play with your team members."

Games will be played in four disciplines including football, basketball, volleyball and table tennis.

Channel 7

#515812 - 07/07/16 09:46 AM Re: 2016 CODICADER Games [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

CODICADER Athletes Arrive In Belize

elegations that will be participating in tomorrow's CODICADER games began arriving in Belize yesterday. Today we met up with the contingents of Honduras and Nicaragua as they set foot in the country- some of them for the very first time. We spoke to a few of the athletes, who were excited for the first ever CODICADER Belize tournament.

Guatemala is the only country that will not have representation at this year's CODICADER games – and, unofficially, we understand that's a boycott. 

Now as the organizers begin to set the stage for tomorrow's grand opening, the burning question on everyone's mind is this: will the Sports Council be able to pull it off? After all, when we spoke to Sports Council Director Ritchel Dominguez yesterday, he told us that they were short of as much as $300 thousand dollars for their targeted budget.

Games start tomorrow from 9 in the morning to 2:00 in the afternoon. After day one, the grand opening of the games takes place at 5:00 in the evening.

Channel 7

#515828 - 07/08/16 09:38 AM Re: 2016 CODICADER Games [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

CODICADER Gala Opening

And while the playing of the games is about the competition, the opening is a cultural showcase for Belize. That was held this afternoon at the Marion Jones Stadium in Belize City - and it was a proud moment for the minister of state with responsibility for sports, Elodio Aragon. It's the first time Belize is hosting the game and it wasn't easy - but today he told the media it was a most worthwhile undertaking:...

Hon. Elodio Aragon, Jr. - Ministry of Youth. Sports, Culture
"It's exciting. I think at the end of the day when you see all the people came in from yesterday and to participate at the games for CODICADER. It's a good feeling to know that Belize is for the 1st time ever hosting CODICADER. I think that speaks well of Belize. I think it speaks well of sports and it makes me feel proud to know that we are doing this together. These are some of the events that we need to host. We need to be recognized. We need to be exposed to the rest of Central America as an active member Central America and I think that when we look at CODICADER this is just 1 opportunity that we get to showcase our athletes and to showcase to Central America that we are capable to host such events and I think that the kudos goes to all those who have assisted in one way or the other, because I'll tell you this is a big logistic work for the Ministry of Sports. This is a big logistics work for the National Sports Council. So, I know there's a lot of people working on this. I know there's a lot of people organizing, a lot of people collaborating, a lot have supported us in this, whether financial or otherwise. So, the thanks goes out to them because they are the ones making this event a reality this week. We have competitions from around Central America. So, we want to see how we fair off, but at the end of the day I want to invite the general public to come out here and enjoy themselves, participate and in terms of coming out and supporting our Belizean athletes."

You can see all the results at the facebook page named: "CODICADER Belize 2016."

CODICADER Commences

The CODICADER Central American Championships have finally started and a number of sporting disciplines were played all over the country today, from the Basketball competition in San Ignacio, Football in Belmopan to Table Tennis in Belize City. But how did the Belize teams do on their first day? Well this morning at the Belize High School Auditorium the Belize Table Tennis Association advanced to the next round - the Belize boys beat Honduras and the girls beat Nicaragua. The Technical Director for the Association evaluated his team's performance so far. We also spoke to the participants who led the team to victory.

Belize's Table Tennis Team will play double and single matches tomorrow.

Channel 7

#515903 - 07/12/16 10:27 AM Re: 2016 CODICADER Games [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

CODICADER, Gold For Everyone

The Codicader games successfully concluded over the weekend and with good reviews from the visiting delegations. The activities officially closed off with a ceremony in Orange Walk and Cayo, which saw all 600 participating athletes awarded with gold medals - another initiative that highlights the importance of Codicader's under-12-tournament, which is to promote participation rather than competition.

Nevertheless we do take pride in acknowledging our very own Belizean Codicader champions. In the table tennis discipline our team from Belize came out with the highest overall points, both in the male and female categories. Our kids did pretty well in the other three disciplines as well. In volleyball our male team finished second while our female team finished 3rd. In basketball, both our female and male teams finished 2nd. Football was the only discipline in which we fell a little behind, finishing 4th overall. Still the Minister of State in the Ministry of Youth and Sports says this is proof that Belize does have the capacity to host and compete in these international tournaments.

Hon. Elodio Aragon, Jr. - Ministry of Youth. Sports, Culture
"Well I think this is a good example to the nation. When we want to achieve something, we can. By working together, coming together and organizing and having the will to make it happen and I do think that so many opportunities are out there for Belize to be exposed, Belize to shine, to set the pace and I do think CODICADER 2016 is just one good example of how the stakeholders in sports, National Sports Council, the Ministry of Sports, the community and those people - the different federations that are involved in these various disciplines, how they can come together, be united and get it done for Belize. I think this is a perfect example. Yes, it cost money, yes it cost a lot of logistical work and time and effort, but I do think our Belizean people are up to it, they are proving it today and as you can see these games are well organized, the logistical work behind is going as best as it can and do think from the response I've gotten from our colleagues in Central America, especially from the CODICADER representatives, it is going well and I am so proud that that is taking place and its taking place in Belize."

CODICADER moves to Costa Rica in September for secondary school competition.

Channel 7

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 39 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,047 Topics
462,273 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.