Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: A Shot of Rum
“You had a phone call while you were out,” Sherry said. “Who was it?” “It was Ms. Lourdes, Don Julio’s wife.” “I hope he didn’t pass away,” I said. “He’s been sick a long time now and he’s almost ninety years old.” “Ms. Lourdes says he is nearly done for,” Sherry said. “She wants you to come see him one more time.” “Don Julio, how are you?” I asked, when Ms. Lourdes took me into the bedroom. “Not bad,” he said, “considering that I’m eighty-nine years old and every part of my body is trying to quit on me.” “Is there anything I can do for you?” I asked, when she left the room.

Tropic Air gives back to the King’s Children’s Home
Tropic Air, The Airline of Belize, has announced the March results of its ongoing #TropicGivesBack fundraising campaign. For every ticket bought at the month’s selected station, $1 is donated to an organization chosen by our staff from that community. In February, $400 was donated to Arms of Love in Caye Caulker. March was the chosen month for Belmopan, with San Ignacio this month, and Punta Gorda chosen for May. As part of the airline’s largest charitable fundraiser of the year, Tropic Air business partners, staff and customers joined efforts and raised $400 for The King’s Children Home in Belmopan. Rondell Usher, Station Manager, and his Staff presented a check to the organization on Monday, April 4th.

Doctor Love: Tired and Embarrassed
Dear Doctor Love, I have been married for five years now and it seems like all I ever do is work. Right after we got married my husband hurt his back at work and had to take time off. I had a job so I took care of the bills. My husband’s back got better but he never went back to work. He said it was because his back gets sore from any kind of lifting. Two years ago we bought a boat because he likes to fish and he thought he could make some money fishing. To buy the boat we needed more money so I took a second job and worked even harder. He takes the boat out all of the time fishing with his friends but he has never made any money with it. Meantime he always needs money for gas and a few beers. Now the boat needs engine work which means more money. When I came home three days ago he told me about someone who needs a part time bookkeeper. I had a big blowup and told him that I am already working two jobs and it is time for him to work. I said that I notice his back never hurts from pulling the boat out of the water and working on it. I’m not even sure I love him anymore. Now, we have not talked for three days. Am I right or wrong about this? What should I do? /s/ Tired

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Sherlie Medical Fund
Hi Everyone, I am asking that if you are medically able to take a day this week and proclaim a fast for my sister Sherlie condition. We are encountering some challenges in our effort to get Sherlie here in the US. The process to bring her to the US, is very long and somewhat complicated. As we are waiting on the process her situation is worsening, so please pray that God would open up a door for her to come to the US as quickly as possible and get the immediate care that she so needed. Or else, pray that God would keep her health from deteriorating as we wait on the process to take its course. I know all this is in God's hand but he has given us the authority to seek and ask of him; and if we believe then we shall receive. So please pray that the mountains and hills before us would crumble and fall and that every weapon that come against us would not prosper. The word of God say's in Mark 9:28-29 " This kind can come forth by nothing , but prayer and fasting. So, proclaim a fast with me this week, at your own convenience and let's watch God work in great and mighty ways!!

Caribbean Fisheries Forum meets to discuss emerging challenges
Fisheries experts from across the Caribbean region travelled to Guyana last week for the 14th meeting of the Caribbean Fisheries Forum -- the primary technical deliberative body of the Caribbean Regional Fisheries Mechanism (CRFM). The Forum met in Georgetown on Thursday and Friday to undertake its annual stocktaking and planning for the fisheries and aquaculture sector. The event brought together more than 50 participants, including directors of fisheries, chief fisheries officers, and other development partners, such as NGOs and international organizations like the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, which work with the CRFM in promoting the development, management and conservation of the Caribbean’s fisheries resources. CRFM executive director, Milton Haughton, highlighted the most pressing issues on the agenda: “We’re discussing a lot of emerging issues in the region. We are looking at how to improve conservation and management of key species, apply and use the value chain approach in order to increase benefits, such as increased income and export potential.

BEL Stabilizes National Grid following System Collapses
Belize Electricity Limited (BEL) is utilizing a combination of backup generation sources to enable stable power supply to the country, following three system collapses tonight. Between 8:18 p.m. and 9:49 p.m. three separate power interruptions were experienced countrywide as a result of a faulty protection device in Xulha, Mexico. The device has since been repaired. As a contingency, BEL is utilizing backup generating plants to allow for a gradual stabilization of its supply during the night. BEL apologizes to customers for the power interruptions experienced tonight and will continuously strive to further improve the Company’s system reliability and emergency response.

Cayo Health & Fitness Expo
The Cayo Health and Fitness Expo is Saturday, April 16 starting at 9:00am, at the Cayo Welcome Center. They'll have live demonstrations of yoga, Tai Chi, Zumba, along with plenty of health food vendors. "Come out for a day of Fun and Fitness! Live yoga, tai-chi, Zumba and other demonstrations for all to join in! We will have a silent auction for fabulous packages from local resorts and tour guides. We will have raffles for gift baskets and packages from our health and fitness professionals...and so much more!"

Capture the Cover Contest
You can have your picture be on the cover of the new Destination Belize magazine. McNab Publishing is doing this year's edition, and is having a contest to find a cover picture. Best of luck!

The Reporter

CEOs making a “Big Deal” about cancer
The Caucus of Chief Executive Officers of the Government of Belize is hosting the first ever “The Big Deal” CEO Caucus Challenge 2016: Cancer Awareness Ride, to raise funds and awareness. The ride will take place on Saturday May 7, starting at Mile 25 on the George Price Highway and will conclude at the Show Grounds in the City of Belmopan. The caucus pledges to raise $50,000 over the next month to support national efforts to combat cancer. “The Big Deal” CEO Caucus Challenge 2016: Cancer Awareness Ride is supported by the Government of Belize, the Special Envoy for Women and Children, the Belize Cancer Society, and the Belize Cancer Center. Registration began this week with a fee of $25 per participant. Each registrant will receive a “The Big Deal” CEO Caucus Challenge 2016: Cancer Awareness Ride t-shirt on ride day.

CARICOM concerned about tax haven brand caused by Panama Papers leak
The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) expressed its concerns this week about being labeled a tax haven after the information leak, now known as the Panama Papers. CARICOM issued a statement saying the label is being used loosely. It adds that the label also does not consider that the region is fully compliant with international standards for its offshore sector. The community stresses that all CARICOM member states and Associate Member States are in compliance with the international certification process of the IMF/World Bank Financial Sector Assessment Programme (FSAP). They are also in compliance with the certification of the Global Forum of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), the Financial Action Task Force and the Caribbean Financial Action Task Force (CFATF). “As more disclosures unfold with respect to the leak of these financial records, CARICOM urges caution by those making the leap towards moral indignation and the unjust labelling of the financial services centres in the Community, which have taken all necessary steps to ensure compliance with international regulations and standards,” CARICOM said.

My Week in Snapshots: April in Belize and Logan Paul!
The past two weeks have been absolutely gorgeous whether I was in Ambergris Caye or Placencia. Here are some of my snapshots around both those places along with some gorgeous photos by others nabbed from Instagram. Including one (of many) from Logan Paul- @loganpaul. Self proclaimed “goofy guy with big goals”. A young man famous for his web presence – for Vine videos, for his millions of followers on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Here he is with Belize’s manatee researcher Jamal Galves. Maybe you’ve never heard of Logan (I hadn’t) and maybe his style isn’t your thing but influencer marketing is the real deal. Whether blogs, instagram, video – companies, and this time Oceana, are taking notice. And the huge ocean advocacy non-profit is filming with Logan here in Belize.

International Sourcesizz

Enterprise’s Big Caribbean Expansion
Enterprise Rent-a-Car has undertaken a major expansion in the wider Latin America and Caribbean region. The company has opened 22 new locations throughout the region, with new locations in Belize City, SanPedro Sula and Tegucigalpa Honduras; Cancun; two in Road Town, Tortola; Crown Point, Tobago; Piarco International Airport in Trinidad and Providenciales International Airport in Turks and Caicos. Enterprise first launched in the Caribbean in 2014. “Our new openings in Latin America and the Caribbean will provide travelers access to our renowned service in some of the most popular tourist and business travel destinations,” said Peter A. Smith, vice president of global franchising at Enterprise. “Launching our brand in seven new countries and territories is an exciting milestone, but it’s just the beginning of our planned growth in this region.”

Are Analysts Bearish Fortis Inc (TSE:FTS) After Last Week?
The stock increased 0.38% or $0.15 on April 8, hitting $39.86. Fortis Inc (TSE:FTS) has risen 16.35% since September 2, 2015 and is uptrending. It has outperformed by 11.28% the S&P500. Fortis Inc. is a Canada-based electric and gas utility company. The company has a market cap of $11.32 billion. The Firm serves more than three million clients across Canada, the United States and the Caribbean. It has 15.58 P/E ratio. Fortis owns non-regulated hydroelectric generation assets in Canada, Belize and Upstate New York.

Profile: The refugee crisis of Central America
WHAT’S THE STORY? IT is a very different refugee crisis, one driven not by war or terrorism, but by organised crime. According to the United Nations, Central America is experiencing an explosion in people fleeing violence, with armed gangs at the root of the crisis. While battling the ongoing asylum seeker problem in Europe, the UN’s own refugee agency UNHCR is also urging the world to wake up to a growing problem engulfing another continent. Meanwhile, in Belize, where the population is less than 400,000, a ten-fold increase in just one year drove more than 630 people to seek asylum in 2015. And other countries in the region such as Nicaragua and Panama also report similar sharp increases in asylum requests from people fleeing the Northern Triangle countries. But these numbers mask the true scale of the problem, because most asylum seekers from the Northern Triangle go even further afield, heading instead to the United States. According to preliminary data from 2015, America is on track to receive more than 250 per cent more displaced people than in 2013 and almost twice the number of 2014.

Broker Outlook For The Week Ahead Consolidated Water Co. Ltd.
Recently analysts working for a variety of stock market brokerages have changed their consensus ratings and price targets on shares of Consolidated Water Co. Ltd. (NASDAQ:CWCO). The most recent broker reports which have been released note that 1 analyst has a rating of “buy”, 1 analysts “outperform”, 0 analysts “hold”, 0 analysts “underperform” and 0 analysts “sell”.

Climate-Related Death of Coral Around World Alarms Scientists
Coral reefs are the crucial incubators of the ocean’s ecosystem, providing food and shelter to a quarter of all marine species, and they support fish stocks that feed more than one billion people. They are made up of millions of tiny animals, called polyps, that form symbiotic relationships with algae, which in turn capture sunlight and carbon dioxide to make sugars that feed the polyps. An estimated 30 million small-scale fishermen and women depend on reefs for their livelihoods, more than one million in the Philippines alone. In Indonesia, fish supported by the reefs provide the primary source of protein. “This is a huge, looming planetary crisis, and we are sticking our heads in the sand about it,” said Justin Marshall, the director of CoralWatch at Australia’s University of Queensland. Damaged or dying reefs have been found from Réunion, off the coast of Madagascar, to East Flores, Indonesia, and from Guam and Hawaii in the Pacific to the Florida Keys in the Atlantic.

• Maya Ruta 2016, 22min. Het Maya spoor (maart 2016). Van Mexico, door Belize en via Guatemala weer terug naar Mexico

• Belize. Rich in Love., 3.5min. Caye Caulker & Raggamuffin Sailing Trip.

• Putnam’s Visit, 7min.

• BELIZE, 5min.