Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#462729 04/20/13 04:56 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Steps to take if you see or are attacked by Africanized bees.

There is no need to panic. There are a lot of bee colonies out there. While Africanized honey bees are very defensive and easily provoked, they are generally not a threat to humans provided they are not riled. However, if you are attacked by Africanized honey bees, you can take the following steps to get away from them and protect yourself and others.

STEPS

1. Be aware of the triggers that encourage Africanized honey bees to attack, so that you can avoid provoking an attack. Some of the things that can encourage attacking by Africanized honey bees include hive disturbance, causing the bees to think that the hive is under threat, and a range of sensory threats such as loud noise, strong odor or artificial fragrance, shiny objects (including jewelry) and dark clothes. If you do spot a hive of stray bees in your yard, farm, or when out for a walk, take care and consider the following precautions:

Avoid making loud noise when you discover a hive. Don't shout, don't use machinery near the hive (such as chainsaws and lawnmowers), and keep barking dogs away.

Don't poke a hive. Never disturb a hive, no matter how curious or foolhardy you're feeling. It's the bees' home and they'll do what they need to defend it. Leave it well alone and immediately call 911, your Health Department or call for professional hive removal help.

Don't wear strong perfume, shiny jewelry or dark clothing when in an area known for having Africanized bees:

2. If bees start attacking, don't freeze. Run away quickly. Do not stop to help other people unless they are small children or they are disabled. Call out to encourage everyone in the vicinity to run to shelter. Run in a straight line - most healthy people are capable of outrunning Africanized bees as they are slow fliers.

3. Protect your face as you run. Use your shirt pulled over your face or your arms but do not let this slow your running. Protect your eyes and sensitive head areas. If you are holding an infant then keep their face tucked directly into your body so that the bees cannot get at their face.

4. Do not swat at the bees or flail your arms. Bees are attracted to movement and crushed bees emit a smell of bananas that will attract more bees.

5. Run into the wind. This makes it harder for the bees to keep pace with you

6. Avoid getting into water. Killer bees will wait until you come up for air.

7. Run to a building shelter. Do not stop running until you reach shelter. While some bees will follow you indoors, you should be able to shut most bees outside. Those that have followed you in will be disoriented by the lights in a well-lit room and will fly to the windows.

8. Use any cover on hand if you cannot find shelter. Use blankets, sleeping bags, clothes, get into a tent or a bivouac, anything that can cover you up and provide shelter. Running through bushes or high weeds might also help provide some cover. If your car is close, it can serve as suitable shelter.

9. Take stock once inside shelter or when you have outrun the bees. Rest a moment to catch your breath, check who else has made it back with you, and attend to injuries and allergic reactions:

Remove all the stingers. When a honey bee stings, it leaves the stinger in your skin. While this kills the honey bee by tearing apart its abdomen, the venom continues to enter into the wound for a short time.

Do not pull stingers out with tweezers or your fingers. This will only squeeze more venom into the wound. Instead, scrape the stinger out sideways using your fingernail, the edge of a credit card, a dull knife blade or other straight-edged object.

If you have been stung more than 15 times, or you're feeling ill, or if you have any reason to believe you may be allergic to bee stings, seek medical attention immediately. The average person can safely tolerate 7-10 stings per pound of body weight; this means that although 500 stings can kill a child, the average adult could withstand more than 1100 stings. A person allergic to bee stings, however, is at great risk of anaphylactic shock from even a single sting, so seek immediate medical advice.

Call the police. Tell them what has happened so that they can arrange for professional beekeepers to come and contain the swarm.

Corozal Daily (�Sometimes)

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from a friend....

I spent last night breaking into an Africanized bee colony with a hammer. I can verify that yes, this does upset them.

I am very grateful for my excellent beesuit!

(You'll be relieved to know the bees are safe in their new, more suitable home.)

The article above has very good advice. Just move away quickly.

I discovered that the slightest whiff of WD-40 will cause an attack. I was spraying WD on my motorbike about 150 feet up wind and the hive attacked me. I run fast but still got a half dozen stings.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
D
D
I live in San Marcos andI have a large hive in my roof. I would like the bees to be gone. Any ideas? 622 1882

L
L
Vote for Trump. He will have them deported!

Trump isn't running in Belize.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Put on a good bee suit... Have a good vacuum at hand... Borrow Elbert's WD40 and spray the hive... Turn on the Vacuum and just suck them up... Sounds like a lot of fun.... If you don't like too much fun; call a professional for help rather than us clowns.

A little known fact... Women who are overweight tend to live longer than men who mention it...
S
S
Call SPTC and ask for professional help in relocating them instead of killing them.

NJG Offline
Call Sam the beekeeper , 627-9412

D
D
Sam came out once and exterminated them. They came back. A beekeeper from Cayo came and took the hive away, twice. They are back. I would like another beekeeper to take them away but cant find one. I hoped someone on the forum would know someone....
Have not ruled out the little used WD40/vacuum idea. JK

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 328 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.