Belize City Mayor Comments on Citywide Crackdown on Liquor Licenses

A citywide crackdown on all local businesses selling liquor after hours without the requisite license remains in effect and police officers are wasting no time enforcing the law.  The ongoing operation is a joint effort between the police department and the Belize City Council and, according to Mayor Darrell Bradley, officers aren’t necessarily accompanied by representatives of City Hall in carrying out the shutdown.

Darrell Bradley, Belize City Mayor

“Persons buying alcohol late at night, for example, earlier on in my term I had this thing where we were dealing with trying to close down clubs and different things like that at two o’clock and not giving extensions.  It’s not in the same vein but I think that we need to recognize that certain types of criminal activities happen in certain places and on certain occasions and then also that there are certain influencing features like for example the procurement of alcohol.  And I think if we can work collaboratively in a way that is not harassing or in a way that is not destructive of the business environment then I think that that would be a good win for the city.”

Isani Cayetano

“In this particular measure of enforcement are the police officers accompanied by a representative of the city council or are they empowered to proceed with the shutting down of businesses on their own?”

Darrell Bradley

“Well I’m not familiar with exactly which instance, but usually and quite routinely we have joint patrols, for example, our special constables will go along with police officers in the night when people are [out partying], at two o’clock when nightclubs are supposed to close we do joint patrols in terms of traffic so that the traffic officer will be together with the traffic police so that I’m quite certain that in terms of any kind of dealings with any closures of business at certain appropriate hours that there will be joint patrols because that’s something that we routinely do.  But I’m not certain in relation to any specific instance of a joint patrol.”

In the wake of the clampdown, proprietors of several business establishments have complained about the manner in which they have been approached by Belize City police.

Channel 5