Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Letter to the Editor: The Catholic Church needs a reform
Dear Editor: For years the only option there was in San Pedro was the Catholic Church. Many people go there for a sense of community and to listen to the priest’s homily for some food for though. It is not that simple, they also use what is considered horrible tactics. They tell you about this amazing creator who created the world and is responsible for everything. From a very young age your parents do not take the time to tell you why the skis is blue or why is water wet, yes why is water wet. It may sound like a kid thing to say but do you know why water is wet? Parents gave their kids a lazy and unintelligent answer, “God made it that way”. When they grow up they will be un-empathetic because when they see a poor family they will say “God made that that way”. The Bible says poor people are blessed in spirit. It won’t tell you what happens to such a family when the oldest brother beats up the middle brother because he is emotionally stressed. The youngest brother is grown scared of the world because their mom listened to the words of the priest and neglected her kids. She believed him. A him – what advice can a man give a woman on how to be a good mother. The clear answer is NONE. That is right there are no female priests because the church is misogynistic.

Wolfe’s Woofer: How to Bargain
“Can you watch your grandkids for awhile this afternoon?” Melody asked. “If I get back in time,” I told her. “I have something I’m trying to do.” “What do you have to do?” “If I get back in time,” I said. “I’m trying to buy a golf cart. If this guy drops the price by $1,500 I’ll have enough cash to buy it today.” At the golf cart shop the owner said, “I can’t drop the price from $8,000.” “I’ll give you cash right now,” I said. “$6,500.” “No. Price is firm,” he said.

Island teachers graduate from Galen University
The San Pedro Sun joins the community in applauding all of the teachers that graduated from Galen University on Sunday, May 22nd. Of the 99 graduates from Galen this year, 75 students earned their degrees in primary education. A special congratulation goes out to Principal Roxani Kay from the San Pedro Roman Catholic School (SPRCS) for graduating Summa Cum Laude. Also graduating from SPRCS was Roberto Gongora (Magna Cum Laude), Diana Uh and Yvonne Gonzalez (Cum Laude). Jamira Tillet from the Holy Cross Anglican School, Elizabeth Sansores and Miguel Angel Hernandez from the New Horizon Seventh-day Adventist School were also among the many graduates of Galen’s 13th Commencement Exercises.

Doctor Love: Not Sure and Ex-wife
Dear Doctor Love, My boyfriend and I split up after three years together. At the time we were going through some really tough times. He was in the middle of changing jobs he had a lot of family problems with health and with visitation with his son. I waited to tell him about our financial troubles until things got so bad that I had to let him know. He split telling everyone that I lied about our money situation even though I was only trying to keep him from feeling bad. I am still paying off debts. Now he is back with me but he still has not told his friends about us. He does not help with the back bills. I think he is too embarrassed or something. He does swear he loves me. What should I do when the man I love keeps me as a secret? /s/ Not Sure

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

The Expo Tattoo Belize activities continue today at the SPHS Auditorium
Yesterday was is more of the same!

Job Vacancies at BEL
2 vacancies exist at the San Pedro and Dangriga Branches of Belize Electricity Limited for the post of Customer Care Representative II in the Customer Care Department.

Walk for a Green Belize 2016 Statistics
The DoE has released the stats from the Walk for a Green Belize that was carried out last week. Thanks to all the great supporters and volunteers that cleaned up an amazing 785 bags of trash from the highways. Almost 5 tons was collected. If everyone could show their appreciation by never littering again, more important volunteer initiatives could be undertaken. "An estimated 785 (33 to 55 gallon-sized) bags of garbage were collected yielding a weight of approximately 9,806.56 pounds of garbage! The Walk For A Green Belize clean-up activity was conducted by several organizations, students, activists, both government and non-government agencies, and the general public. The Secretariat for the 'Walk for a Green Belize' initiative extends heartfelt gratitude to all the participants and sponsors of the event and we look forward to your support and participation in the 'Walk for a Green Belize' 2017."

Galen University 2016 Graduation
Congratulations, Galen graduates! They had 99 new graduates at this year's graduation. This was the first time they had Elementary Education, and Criminal Justice majors. In related news, Galen has a great promo video about their university. "Galen celebrated with 99 graduates from the Faculty of Arts & Science, Faculty of Business & Entrepreneurship, and the Faculty of Education. Our first ever Elementary Education and Criminal Justice graduates graced us on Sunday. Congratulations Galen Eagles! Continue to soooooooooooooooar and make us proud."

Five baby parrots found themselves at BBR this week. Sad stories as always.
They are all white-fronts which is good for us and for them as they can grow up together. Two of the chicks were in a felled tree - a sibling did not survive the impact but thankfully the two survivors were discovered and taken to the Wildlife Clinic for a check-up and a watchful eye for a few days while their bruises healed. The other three were removed from their nest by the Forest Department. A concerned resident contacted the officers and explained that the nest was always poached. Thankfully they are all in good health and will have intact wing feathers once they fledge.

Turtle nesting season has started in Ambergris Caye 2016
Total of 3 Loggerhead turtle nests; 2 in Basil Jones and 1 in Rocky point Beach.

Channel 5

Patrick Faber is the new First Deputy Leader of the United Democratic Party
After counting concluded just after 3:00pm today, Faber had received 336 votes. His opponent, John Saldivar, received 248 votes. We'll have highlights of the Convention in Monday's newscast.

The Reporter

Faber wins UDP deputy leadership comfortably over Saldivar
Patrick Faber, the Minister of Education has won the deputy leadership of the ruling United Democratic Party (UDP) comfortably over John Saldivar, the Minister of National Security and only other contender in the race. Faber won by 88 votes with a final tally of 336 to 248 with one spoilt ballot. Some 585 delegates voted during a party convention at the IT-Vet building on Freetown Road in Belize City. Voting started at 9:00 a.m., and ended at 2:30 p.m., Sunday. Faber held a dinner and reception for his supporters at the Best Western Belize Biltmore Plaza Hotel on Saturday night to thank his supporters.

Taiwan to hand over first disbursement of renal failure prevention initiative to Belize
Ambassador of the Republic of China (Taiwan), Benjamin Ho, will hand over his government’s first disbursement to the Ministry of Health for the Renal Failure Prevention Project and the Medical Skills Cooperation Agreement on Monday. This is a three-year initiative with a budget of around US $ 2.2 million, for which Taiwan will provide health education training and education for general practitioners, dialysis nurses, and other health personnel. It also includes the training of two nurses in Taiwan, the purchase of a vehicle to be used for the program, and the establishment of a tracking and management system for chronic disease cases treated in public medical facilities. During the handing-over ceremony, the chief of Taiwan delegation, Fang-Yue Lin, who is the President of Far Eastern Memorial Hospital in Taiwan, will donate 100 dialyzers of hemodialysis to the Ministry of Health.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Faber sworn in as new UDP First Deputy
The official numbers from yesterday’s United Democratic Party (UDP) First Deputy Leader convention held at the ITVET campus in Belize City are in. According to UDP Chairman Alberto August, of the possible 589 delegates on the voting list, 585 ballots were cast. Of those cast, […]

Patrick Faber is new UDP Deputy Leader
Initial reports from the United Democratic Party (UDP) Deputy Leadership convention held this afternoon at the ITVET campus in Belize City indicates that Patrick Faber has beaten John Saldivar for the party’s number two spot. Faber reportedly beat Saldivar by 88 votes. The total numbers haven’t […]

Have diplomatic relations failed Belize?
As the tension between Belize and Guatemala has ramped over the last year-and-half, and as it climaxed with the death of 13-year-old Julio Alvarado, Belize’s government has sought diplomatic means of easing that tension but Guatemala seems resolved to continue creating friction. This has been […]

Guatemalans protest at the Western Border
Credible information reaching Breaking Belize News is that Guatemalans in the neighboring town, Melchor de Mencos, organized a peaceful demonstration this morning at the Western Border. Information is sketchy but BBN personnel is currently on the ground gathering more information as to why the peaceful demonstration […]

UDP to elect first deputy leader today
Just over 700 delegates are to decide today by secret ballot which of National Security Minister John Saldivar and Education Minister Patrick Faber succeed Gaspar Vega as first deputy leader of the United Democratic Party. The two powerful Ministers have been fighting tooth and nail […]

Living an Affordable Beach Lifestyle in Placencia, Belize
With 17 miles of continuous golden-sand beaches, a low key, laidback Caribbean lifestyle, a small population, and plenty of top notch restaurants and funky beach bars, it’s not surprising that expats are pulling up stakes to move to Belize’s Placencia peninsula… In February of 2014 Laura and Dave Diffendal left Cleveland, Ohio, for Placencia Village. They now live an entirely different lifestyle, as Laura explains, “Exactly two years ago, I was sitting on my couch in snowy Cleveland. Now we’re having weekly adventures, spending days on the beach, afternoons in farmers’ markets, and living a life we would only have tried out on vacation once a year if we had stayed back home.” Although quite comfortable in Cleveland, the Diffendals were ready for a change. “We both had the itch,” Laura says. “We wanted to push ourselves…experience new cultures…and get out of the north-east winters!” They traveled around Belize, seeking a new home. “We searched all over the country for something that felt like the right fit. The second we started driving down the Placencia peninsula, we looked at each other and said—‘This is it!’ It felt like home. The sparkling Caribbean on one side, Maya mountains and lagoon on the other, real estate right on the beach. Perfect!”

Belize Lobster Fest 2016 is here
With the month of June fast approaching, Belizeans across the country are making plans to attend this year’s Lobster Fest events in either San Pedro, Placencia or Caye Caulker, as visitors from across the globe make their way to the country to partake as well. The world renowned Lobster Fests are scheduled this year for June 15-26 in San Pedro Town, June 24-26 in Placencia and July 1-3 in Caye Caulker, when thousands of people will flock those destinations for delicious grilled lobsters and endless activities. These events give locals and foreigners a chance to taste an array of lobster dishes while mingling with fishermen and learning the methods used to catch the tasty crustacean. Some of the most popular attractions to our Lobster Fests, promise to be even more exciting this year, such as water sports, the beach parties, Miss Lobster Festival Queen Competition, lobster eating competitions, biggest lobster catch competition and live cultural music.

Ways working Moms can maintain a healthy lifestyle
When I became a mother, I grappled with creating balance in my life. How was I supposed to maintain a healthy lifestyle? How was I supposed to go to work, take care of a baby, be a wife and cook dinner all in the same day? On top of that, when I looked in the mirror, I still looked like I was 3 months pregnant. Apparently, the baby weight hurdle is an issue that affects many women and their goals to a healthy lifestyle. I realized this when I would complain to my friends, family and co-workers who relayed their own horror stories of their inability to lose the weight after having their babies. “After you have a baby, you end up putting everyone before yourself,” my friend Jenna explained as she chased behind her 3 year old son who decided that he did not want to wear pants on that particular day. “You make sure the baby is ok, that your other kids have eaten dinner and that you’re a good employee at work. By the time you put the kids to sleep at night, you barely have energy to take a shower much less jump on an exercise machine. You go to sleep disgusted with yourself dreaming that the baby weight would magically melt off. And it doesn’t.” But there are several things that you can do to make today healthier than yesterday and pave the way to a healthy lifestyle.

Belize Food Tours…A Must-Do Tour on Every San Pedro Visitors’ List
After you take the Belize Food Tours…with a walk around town, interesting historical tidbits, stories of growing up in San Pedro and a TON of food and drink….you’ll feel like you know this town. But first, the secret is out of the bag, the creators of this new business are Felipe Paz and Dora Paz Guerra, a brother-sister team who grew up on the island. Guess who are the siblings here. All invitees met at 11:30am in Central Park. They will be doing both lunch and dinner tours and will keep the groups more manageable in this busy town. 8 people maximum. But for the press tour, we were a bit more. Meet Felipe, the guide… And equally lovely but a bit more behind-the-scenes, Dora. The umbrellas are a great idea under the mid-day sun. I met Don, a Belize City native and very enthusiastic eater and drinker, who won the chance to join the tour on Facebook. Super cool guy. And we are off! Our first stop, one of the oldest restaurants in San Pedro, Elvi’s Kitchen. Started by Miss Elvi as a burger shack under a flamboyant tree that she planted for the birth of her first grandson, it has grown into a wildy popular restaurant.

International Sourcesizz

Belize’s Ambassador to the United States: Who Is Pat Andrews?
Patrick Andrews was appointed in May 2015 to be Belize’s ambassador to the United States and the Organization of American States. It’s the first such posting for Andrews, who spent his career as a banker. Andrews attended Kansas State University, graduating in 1973 with a B.S. in economics. He went to work shortly thereafter for the Bank of Nova Scotia, which later become known as Scotiabank. Andrews worked in Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, Grenada, Costa Rica, Canada and El Salvador for the bank before being named country manager for Belize in 2002. While running Scotiabank’s operations in Belize, Andrews was involved in several charities benefiting the country’s children. Andrews does have some experience with the diplomatic service; in 2007, he was named Canada’s honorary consul in Belize. In 2014, Andrews was honored by Queen Elizabeth II as a Member of the British Empire (MBE) for his services to community and banking. Andrews’ brother Joseph was a long-time party official in the ruling United Democratic Party. His nephew, Patrick Jason Andrews, is also involved in the country’s politics but as a senator in the rival Peoples United Party, and was a television host. Andrews and his wife, Chita, have a son and a daughter. Andrews speaks English and Spanish.

Caribbean expanding share in multi-billion dollar global seafood market
Caribbean economies are poised to benefit from a region-wide initiative to expand seafood market share through the implementation of food safety measures to enable countries to get a bigger piece of the global pie, worth an estimated US$130 billion annually. Caribbean countries, including The Bahamas, Belize, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Suriname, and Trinidad and Tobago, are now capitalising on a co-ordinated approach to broaden the gateway to the growing market. CARIFORUM, which comprises the 15-member Caribbean Community (Caricom) and the Dominican Republic, now exports about US$400-million worth of fish and seafood annually. Belize and Jamaica are two Caribbean seafood exporters already tapping into markets controlled by the European Union (EU), a tough market to access because of stringent standards which require that countries have systems in place to ensure that their exports are not only safe for consumption, but also free from harmful pests and pathogens.

Common plant could help fight Zika virus
erouen Paul Lumabao, 17, discovered that an extract of the garden croton, or Codiaeum variegatum, kills larvae of the mosquitoes that can carry dengue, Zika and more. Substances in a common plant can kill larvae of the mosquito that helps spread the viruses that cause Zika, chikungunya and dengue fever. That's the discovery of a teen from the Philippines. His research may help public health officials develop a way to slow the spread of those deadly diseases. It also may give homeowners hints about how to home-brew their own mosquito-killing cocktail. Dengue (DEN-gay) virus is a leading cause of illness and death throughout the tropics and subtropics. The disease is spread by the Aedes aegypti (AY-dees Eh-JIP-tye) mosquito. Dengue causes high fevers, severe headaches and joint pain, among other symptoms. With no vaccine to prevent it, up to 400 million people contract dengue each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. More than one-third of all people on the planet live in areas at risk of this infection.

• Wow Victer Max was an incredible spectacle at the Expo Tattoo Belize, 10sec.

• Super Victer Max, 1/2min.

• Victer Max Freak Show!!, 1/2min.

• The Jungle and Ocean of Belize, 6min.

• Loyd Hamilton - Dive Compilation - Belize May-2016, 14min. Had a great time diving the Week with Aggressor Fleet in Belize. This was a birthday present from my family!

• Belize CHW Spot, 3min. Spot promoting Community Health Workers of Belize and their work to improve Mother & Child health care in Communities and Villages of Belize.

• Belize 2016, 10min. Vídeo sobre: Belize 2016

• Belize Defence Force (BDF) New Bell UH-1 Helicopters, 2min. The government of Taiwan delivered two medium helicopters Bell UH-1H Iroquois to the Belize Air wing component. The two helicopters had arrived by sea to the port of Belize in January, and have been worked on since them to get them to flying condition, and this weeks ceremony marks the completion of that phase. The Hueys are now carrying local serials BDF-11 and BDF-12

• Belize 2016, 6min. Fourteen classmates and I traveled to Belize with two of our professors. Here are some of the highlights from our week long adventure!

• Belize 2016, 15min. Snorkeling in/around the Hol Chan Marine Reserve (Caye Caulker) and the Gladden Spit and Silk Cayes Marine Reserve (Placencia). May 18-26th, 2016.

• Belize 2016, 13min. Lauren, Dani, Gordon, Pricilla, and Nick in the rainforest, caves, beaches, and sea of Belize for Lauren's birthday. April 13-18, 2016.

• Belize Off Grid Family Life Video Complete, 6min. A small house with a farm on 1/2 acre in a farm community. Includes Rain Catchment, small solar setup, septic. The community is gated. High Spped Internet connection available.