World Ocean’s Day was celebrated on Wednesday.  OCEANA headed the activities to promote awareness of a healthy environment. Today, a mural of Belize’s natural wonders was unveiled in a prominent area of the City. Volunteers, as well as artist Rafael Rodriguez, took on the initiative. News Five’s Isani Cayetano reports.

Isani Cayetano, Reporting

A mural depicting Belize’s flora and fauna, as well as its marine life, was unveiled this afternoon at the Memorial Park.  The painting along the seawall, adjacent to the Chateau Caribbean, was commissioned by the Belize Coalition to Save Our Natural Heritage and was a collaborative effort with Oceana in Belize.  The project itself was overseen by well-known Belizean artist Rafael Rodriguez, with help from a group of young volunteers.

Celeshia Guy

Celeshia Guy, Field Representative, OCEANA Belize

“Today we’re having an unveiling ceremony for a mural that we’ve been working on the seawall and that project has been done in collaboration with Oceana, in collaboration with the Belize Coalition to Save Our Natural Heritage and basically what the mural is showcasing is Belize.  As a short theme we’re showcasing the wonders of Belize, highlighting our ecosystems, highlighting, you know, the importance of Belize and depicting it in one picture so that Belizeans can see. We have one professional artist onboard, his name is Mr. Rafael Rodriguez, but we also have volunteers who came out with us to assist us with the painting of the mural.  The mural location is on the seawall, right in front of the Chateau Caribbean and it’s basically for Belizeans to see and appreciate our natural environment and hopefully to become better stewards of our environment.”

The idea, according to Vice President Janelle Chanona, is to promote environmental awareness through recycling and other eco-friendly measures.

Janelle Chanona

Janelle Chanona, VP, OCEANA Belize

“This is the sixth mural to be unveiled nationally and we really hope that every time you see it that you are inspired to do something nice, to say thank you to the ecosystem. …I walk into the store and say, you know what, I brought my own bag, I don’t need a plastic bag to take my stuff home.  I’m not going to use a straw because you know I saw that video of the straw coming out of the turtle’s nose and I, that’s just painful, single use stuff noh worth it.  Or, you know, I’m going to walk more or bike more instead of driving my car.  I’m going to do something to say thank you for giving me all of this stuff for free and you know what, I really appreciate it and I’d like you to be able to be healthy enough to do that for the foreseeable future and so many generations after.”

Channel 5