Robert ‘Bobby’ Lopez

The issue of campaign financing is one that the B.P.P. has been wanting to address since entering the political fray.  While neither of the established mass parties are willing to budge and disclose their source of funding, the B.P.P. says it too is doing away with full disclosure.  According to Lopez, the party has agreed to play the same games being played by the P.U.P. and the U.D.P. where it concerns campaign finances.

Robert ‘Bobby’ Lopez, Belize Progressive Party

“The B.P.P. has received several requests, one of the things that our financiers say is mein why did you guys set a threshold of ten thousand [dollars], you know, for non-disclosure.  And so for the next month, I can tell you that we have more persons in favor than those against, that we will be raising the threshold probably to a million dollars.  In fact, what you see here was a foreign donation of twenty thousand dollars.  So there are people out there who are willing to give us money.  What you see hanging on the wall is two thousand and the rest of this, there’s quite a few thousand dollars here already but I want to tell you that in the next month we’ll be announcing that, you know what, until the P.U.P. and the U.D.P. understand that we need campaign financing and we’ve been calling for it but they make a laugh of it.  How are you going to stop the big boys from giving money under the table was the current prime minister’s response to that question asked by Adele Ramos in 2008.  Well until that takes place, you know what, we’ll be playing the same game.  We’ll be playing by the same rules.  Non-disclosure.  We’re not going to be compromising but guess what, anybody who wants to come up and say for a million dollars guys, here I’m dying and you all can use it to save Belize, then so be it because we have had request of people wanting to give us fifty and a hundred thousand and we’ve been saying, bwai we have this policy in place and until the executive changes it I can’t do anything.  But guess what, there are people out there and all bets will be off because we’re going to fight them on the same rules that they have set which is basically no rule.”

Channel 5