Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Letter to the Editor: Dust
To the newspaper and the island’s population: Like many tourists, we are among these humans who have allergies rather easily, allergies caused by pollen and by dust. It was more than unpleasant to see that your island has a severe dust problem. It killed our enjoyment during our vacation and it impacted our health from day one. Your island has a health endangering, allergy causing and a displeasing dust problem. Your island’s traffic and dust was damaging, damaging to our health. We had never experienced so much dust, anywhere during a vacation and anywhere during our lives. My partner got red and running eyes plus breathing issues and I had an allergy sneeze with running nose during our entire stay. There is dust everywhere on and near roads. Vehicles are all dusty, golf carts are all dusty, plants and trees on your roads are all dusty. In town everything is dusty, your streets and roads and your shops; there is dust flying around everywhere. You all might be used to your dust clouds (one could hope) but for us tourists this is a health issue and an issue of quality during our vacation time. Every day we got more and more angry about the dust and concerned about our health conditions. Your dust has one single source, one source only.

Wolfe’s Woofer: Nude Portrait
“Hey, Rogelio,” I called. “How have you been doing?” “Oh, hey Mr. Dennis,” Rogelio said, looking up from his easel with an unfinished painting. “I’m still painting as usual.” “Where have you been?” I asked. “I haven’t seen you around in two years.” “I’ve been painting over in San Ignacio,” he said. “I started doing portraits. Pictures of just people.” “That’s a change,” I told him. “If I recall, your strong paintings were beach scenes.” “I still paint them,” he said, “but I just got tired of them. I want to paint people. I’ll tell you what. You sit on that anchor and I’ll do a little portrait of you. I’m pretty good at it.” When he finished the painting he turned it to me and asked, “What do you think?” “Rogelio, that is a great portrait,” I told him. “I’ll buy it from you right now.” Just then a beautiful woman about thirty-five years old walked up and looked at the picture. “My God,” she said. “You are an amazing artist, sir. Will you do a portrait of me?”

Letter to the Editor: Hitchhikers
Dear Editor: We had the pleasure of visiting San Pedro just a week or so ago. We loved the time we spent there with one exception. We had rented a golf cart to get around. We were staying outside of the main area of town and needed a way to get in and around San Pedro. However, several times we were approached by the locals to give them a ride into town. With crime rates rising, we were uncomfortable doing so, and when we refused, they yelled out F*** you on more than one occasion. We think it is unwise that tourists are hustled into transporting strangers. It raises safety concerns not only for the tourists, but the local population asking for the ride. We even had small children ask. We also noticed that there does not appear to be any public transportation available for the locals including the schools and the children that attend them. This causes a lot traffic chaos each and every day in and around town; rather unpleasant to see such badly organized traffic.

Doctor Love: Already Gone and Unsigned
Dear Doctor Love, When we got married my husband and I were very young. We made mutual commitments like no children, traveling often and paying a house off quickly. Now, it is twelve years later and I have moved out on my own. I don’t feel love for him anymore, I don’t enjoy his company or respect his intelligence like I used to. Mostly though, I feel like I was too young to make those agreements from twelve years ago that he reminds me of constantly. I don’t want to hurt him and I find it is hard to talk about it with him but I want my life to change. I am barely thirty years old. I can’t see living like this for the rest of my life although he would be happy to do so. My friends and family are giving me a lot of trouble because they think this happened suddenly and they think I should go back and try again. When I listen to them I almost change my mind. How can I get everyone to accept the fact that it is done? /s/ Already Gone

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

General Meeting for the National Youth Council
Yesterday the Stann Creek Youth Council attend the Annual General Meeting for the National Youth Council in Belmopan. The Council presented their strategic plan and the NYC Constitution was discussed and successfully amended. Thanks to all the youths who attended.

The real 'Naked and Afraid'
And another great save by an active network. These three little guys were apparently from a felled tree (we may never know the real story) and they ended up on a facebook site for sale. Naturally the post was spotted and word traveled fast! We took the Forest Dept to the home to thank the people that rescued the birds from the felled tree and to let them know that it was illegal to buy, sell or keep wildlife and there could be no permit for baby birds. We are delighted to say the people genuinely didn't know this, were not at all upset at the visit, handed them over willingly, and the birds are in good shape and are eating, sleeping and pooping as all good babies should! We are not exactly sure of the species yet, likely yellow loreds and if not, white-fronts. Any bets?

Land use in the new Colonial Order as a contributory factor to Belize being an importation instead of an exporting country
The forestry industry's control of land and its influence in colonial decision making retarded the development of agriculture and the diversification of the economy. In many parts of the Caribbean, large numbers of former slaves, some of whom had engaged in the cultivation and marketing of food crops, became landowners. British Honduras had vast areas of sparsely populated, unused land. Nevertheless, landownership was controlled by a small European monopoly, thwarting the evolution of a Creole landowning class from the former slaves. Rather than the former slaves, it was the Garifuna, Maya, and Mestizos who pioneered agriculture in nineteenth-century British Honduras. These groups either rented land or lived as squatters. However, the domination of the land by forestry interests continued to stifle agriculture and kept much of the population dependent on imported foods.

The Reporter

Orange Walk and Cayo students are top PSE performers
Kenly Young of St. Andrew’s Anglican Primary School in San Ignacio and Angelina Urbina of La Inmaculada RC Primary in Orange Walk town tied as the top performers in the 2016 Primary School Examination (PSE). They each received 391 points of a possible total of 400. This year, the top ten students tied also for fourth and tenth positions. This year, 7,235 standard six students sat the exams, out of 7,392, including 27 private candidates that registered. The results show that 48 percent of the students received grade C or higher (57.2 to 57.8 percent) in English, and 35 percent had the a mean score of 50.6 percent in math. The remainder of students received less impressive scores. Students did better in social studies and science, with a higher percentage scoring within the A and B categories.

CCJ rules against gay activist
Maurice Tomlinson, a Jamaican homosexual who took the Belize and Trinidadian Governments to court, claiming our immigration laws prohibit homosexuals from entering our countries, has lost that argument in the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ). Tomlinson had sought the CCJ to order the countries to amend our immigration to remove homosexuals from any class of prohibited immigrants. Tomlinson also claimed that Belize and Trinidad were in breach of our obligations under the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas because the laws contained provisions that discriminated against homosexuals. The gay activist argued that the existence of these laws prejudiced him from his right to free movement, Belize and Trinidad acknowledged that Tomlinson has a right of entry, under the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas. Our countries also pointed out that Tomlinson has entered both territories in the past without hassle, and that the existence of the legislation has not caused him to suffer any prejudice.

• Euan MacKie Presentation on 1960's Xunantunich Excavations, 46min. Professor Euan MacKie gave a presentation at CET about the Xunantunich Excavations in the 1960's. Euan MacKie Phd was at the C.E.T. to deliver a presentation for the tour guides. All tours guides of all associations were welcome to attend, it was on June 8. Euan Wallace MacKie is a British archaeologist and anthropologist. He is a prominent figure in the field of Archaeoastronomy. He was educated at Whitgift School, Croydon between 1946 and 1954 and later graduated with a degree in Archeology & Anthropology from St. John's College at the University of Cambridge in 1959. He spent six months in Central America as member of the Cambridge Expedition to British Honduras excavating Mayan archaeological sites in Belize between 1959 and 1960 at the ceremonial centre of Xunantunich. He is also known for his work and publications 'Excavations at Xunantunich and Pomona, Belize, in 1959-1960: A ceremonial centre and an earthen mound of the Maya Classic period,' Science and Society in Prehistoric Britain, 'Megalith Builders.'"

• Road to Xunantunich, 2min. GoPro footage of my bus-ride in Belize.

• I’m a Seaweed Farmer, 8min. Lowell Godfrey, Fisherman and Seaweed Farmer in Placencia

• Exploring San Pedro on Ambergris Caye in Belize, 11min.

• Belize 2016, 16min. Aaron and Ianna's Trip

• Snorkelling on Caye Caulker, Belize (June 2016), 13min. The adventure continues! Join us, won't you, in the Caribbean for some island comedy, kayaking, and fish. All this footage is from snorkelling off the island of Caye Caulker itself - even more amazing fish from the snorkelling trips

• Youtube Traveler: Belize Adventure!, 2min.

• Belize fishing trip 6/2016, 4min.

• Flight from Ambergris Caye to Belize City. Maya Air., 4min.

• Blue Water Grill at the Sunbreeze Hotel. San Pedro, Amber Caye, Belize., 3min.

• Exploring San Pedro on Ambergris Caye in Belize, 11min.

• Pacos Tiki Bar. North Ambergris Caye. Belize., 1/4min.

• Belize, la splendeur des Mayas Documentaire 2016, 62min.