Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
I know this question has probably been asked many times before, so i apoligize in advance!

Is Ambergris Caye a better place to stay than on the Belize mainland? I've heard safety can be an issue on the mainland. How safe is AC?
Is there anything else any of you can tell me about Ambergris?

Jack
S
S
Hi,
My wife and I just returned from A/C about 2 hrs. ago, we felt perfectly safe in A/C. We went from one end of the island to the other from 7 till midnight and had no problems.Everyone was friendly and helpful.
We ate in fancy places and from street vendors without anyone getting sick. We dove everyday, even monday, tue. and wed when it was cool, wet and windy, the reef is fantastic, better than I ever dreamed.
If you have more question, feel free to E-mail me.
Thanks,
Lee Read

yes, but its awesome to visit the mainland too...

and you can do that from a base in san pedro, or spend a few days on the mainland also...

D
D
I agree with Marty, Just don't stay in Belize
City. The Cayo is awesome, and the range of accomodations goes from budget to Five Star. My wife and I fly to Municipal airport and our car rental agency meets us there. It's an hour and a half drive to San Ignacio and you can stop at the zoo along the way. The zoo is small but beautiful and can be explored in 1 to 2 hours. The western highway is a good road and driving in Belize has never been a problem for us. Have a great time.

Ron

O
O
Jackman518, I have a sort of nosy question, is you name Jack and were you born on 518?

J
J
Don't want to scare you away, because we will return to San Pedro in a couple of years. I won't go into detail, Ambergris Caye is a totally unique place, but take my advice and lock your windows while out of your room ...and while sleeping, AND get a safety deposit box. We had a scary experience that I will never forget, but stuff like that happens everywhere. Take travellers cheques, too, so that you don't have to learn the valuable lesson that we did which could have been much worse if we had only taken cash with us. BUT, we were very generously compensated by the local businesses afterwards and the positive outweighed the negative. Just use common sense...it is a very relaxed, trusting atmosphere so at times we were too trusting, so I'm just giving you a word of caution. Don't let this dissuade you from travelling there, because we had a blast.

Sorry Shauna and Jackson, but I'm hoping you won't just leave us like this. You stayed at the Blue Tang Inn, correct? You were burglarized? While in your room? Please, I need to know.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

i am surprised about the above post, but it does happen everywhere, i guess. i am small, and i walked alone all over san pedro and never felt uncomfortable. heck, i even got whistled at (and being in my late 30's, i was THRILLED!). no one EVER bothered me.

as for the mainland, yes, skip belize city altogether, but cayo/belmopan was fabulous. if you have the time and are not afraid of an adventure, rent a jeep and have a blast. i saw and did things i will never see or do the rest of my life.

J
J
This happened to a couple at two other resorts the following week as well (two of the upscale pricey resorts). Noone was hurt in any of the incidents, just didn't use safety deposit boxes. In our case, we were packed to leave first thing in the morning to take off to the mainland to stay, so we were stupid enough to leave our bags by the window (although there was a screen in that he broke through and our curtains were drawn shut) and had already put back the safety deposit bag so that we could take off when we woke up. I do believe that it was the guard that was on duty, or his friend, because we had the curtains open while we packed the night before. In no way do I want to put the Blue Tang at fault, because immediately after the incident the managers had the police there and the security guard that was on shift at the time, but yes we were sleeping in our room when it happened and I woke up in time to see the guy going through our stuff and screamed at him. He wasn't totally in the room, just leaning in through the window going through our stuff on the couch. The police searched two homes of suspects, but we never did hear if anything was found. The managers got new security that very day, the really good LAG security (or its called something like that) because when it happened the security guard was nowhere to be found making him the prime suspect, and they were very upset for us. The compensation, like I said, made up for it all...not just dollar wise but by making us want to come back by being very compassionate to us, their customers AND teaching us a big lesson. We would definitely stay at the Blue Tang again, and I was just warning other travellers to not be careless like we were, because in a country that people are very poor, even the security and cleaning people can be tempted when they see how much we have in comparison to what they have so its best to be safe with your valuables. Just never thought it would happen to us, especially being in a town that we felt so comfortable in. Most places do have security guards, so really all that any of the resorts can do is hope that they can trust their security, but just like anywhere, some people can't be trusted and you don't find out until after the fact sometimes.

Again, I want to stress that it happens, but hasn't ruined our holiday or impression of San Pedro.

Thanks for sharing that. Still pretty scary to think that someone is bold enough to break in while you are sleeping in your room.
The windows that the Blue Tang used to have wouldn't have made such a thing possible. They were the ones with the glass louvers. The problem with them was that even closed they weren't the least bit sound-proof. It's always something.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 328 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.