Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#514607 - 06/16/16 09:59 AM Can Congested San Pedro Accommodate More Tourists?
Marty Online   happy

So while the tourism industry is definitely looking forward to the increased numbers in tourist arrivals, the majority of the traffic that the Curios Belize Hotel has promised is coming mainly to San Pedro. Now, the streets of San Pedro are already congested as it is. And now that Belize, through Hilton, will be taping into a market of 52 million people, how will La Isla Bonita ever handle the masses? We asked Hon. Manual Heredia today about this issue of overcrowding the island.

Hon. Manuel Heredia - Minister of Tourism
"I wouldn't say there is an overcrowding of people. There might be somewhat of a congestion of vehicles which is different but at the same time we have a plan, we're not sleeping over here. We have a plan and if you have time you can take a look on the other side of the airstrip we are building an alternative road that would bring you from the marina where barges load containers and heavy vehicles. That road will be exclusively for heavy vehicles and then the main road into town will be for the small vehicles and so. At the same time we are working on a second bridge that will also be used for heavy vehicles and the now existing bridge will be used for the smaller ones. Again the sub division that was very questionable during the time before elections we have finally surveyed a thousand of them with provisions for hospital, college, elementary school, police station, fire department, playgrounds, everything in this master plan that was done for that area."

Channel 7

Congestion on La Isla Bonita, San Pedro

And this last piece of news from San Pedro…there have been complaints of congestion, particularly with heavy vehicles and traffic on the island. It doesn’t quite fit with the Sustainable Tourism Master Plan 2020 that calls for pocket tourism for the destination. Minister Manuel Heredia says there are ongoing works to address the issue.

Manuel Heredia Jr., Minister of Tourism

“At the same time we have a plan; we are not sleeping over here. We have a plan and if you have time, you can take a look on the other side of the airstrip, we are building an alternative road that will bring you from the marina where barges unload containers and heavy vehicles. That road will be exclusively for heavy vehicles and then the main road leading to town will be for smaller vehicles and so forth. At the same time, we are working on a second bridge that will also be used for heavy vehicles and the now existing bridge will be used for the smaller ones. Again the subdivision that were very questionable during the time before elections; we have finally surveyed a thousand of them with provisions for hospital, college, elementary school, police station, fire department, playgrounds, whatnot…everything in this master plan that was done for that area. There are already the beginning of a few of the homes for individuals that have been given. And the vision of our prime minister with that new road also, it has started to create more opportunities, more businesses around that area and connecting this new subdivision to that main road, which will eventually lead to the Battle Jones Airstrip which in the future will become an international airport. We already have two proposed investors that are looking forward in developing this…they are looking at two, three different models whereby whenever they have their feasibility studies finished, they will come back to government and say these are the three models, which is the one that you will prefer and we’ll move forward from there.”

Channel 5

#514619 - 06/16/16 12:27 PM Re: Can Congested San Pedro Accommodate More Tourists? [Re: Marty]
bywarren Offline
Hon. Manuel Heredia - Minister of Tourism
"I wouldn't say there is an overcrowding of people. There might be somewhat of a congestion of vehicles which is different"

What a contradiction of terms. I guess the Hon. Minister doesn't understand that those vehicles that are causing the congestion are driven by people. frown

#514620 - 06/16/16 12:47 PM Re: Can Congested San Pedro Accommodate More Tourists? [Re: Marty]
Judyann H. Offline
We have been in the Country uninterrupted for 5 years now.....I have not noticed congestion or traffic problems that are often mentioned.....Not sure if it is because we live 2.5 miles South. However, hours will go by that we do not see so much as a bicycle; we are located on the main road. When we shop in town it is a matter of patience.....However again nothing compared to shopping/traffic/congestion or parking problems we lived with in Sacramento and surrounding areas.... IMHO..... More tourists will provide additional economic resources that we hope will be used to improve life on La Isla Bonita.....

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com

#514623 - 06/16/16 01:45 PM Re: Can Congested San Pedro Accommodate More Tourists? [Re: Marty]
SimonB Offline
It is because you live south of town that you don't see the traffic. I work right by the choke point where all traffic coming from the south into town and going south from town must pass. It never stops, day or night. Many times during the day traffic comes to a complete standstill. One of the biggest problems is people going to the deli beside Wings; they illegally park or just plain stop in traffic to go in and get their food. The next one is Scotiabank and then in front of Sunbreeze, all due to illegal parking/stopping.

#514637 - 06/16/16 03:10 PM Re: Can Congested San Pedro Accommodate More Tourists? [Re: Judyann H.]
bywarren Offline
When you have to have traffic wardens blowing whistles and directing traffic, you have a traffic problem.

"More tourists will provide additional economic resources that we hope will be used to improve life on La Isla Bonita....."

That attitude is what is wrong. Improving the life style and providing the necessary infrastructure for the number of people already here is what is needed before compounding the problems by attracting more people. Ass backwards.

Edited by bywarren (06/16/16 03:23 PM)

#514638 - 06/16/16 03:24 PM Re: Can Congested San Pedro Accommodate More Tourists? [Re: Marty]
RobertJ Offline
How much of a problem is the fact that everything from the North to the South has to pass over that funky bridge?

A little after the fact, but, in the real world, someone would have anticipated the influx of traffic that has increased, and will continue to.

Welcome to Banana Republic World.

#514641 - 06/16/16 04:31 PM Re: Can Congested San Pedro Accommodate More Tourists? [Re: RobertJ]
bywarren Offline
So true. Here is an analogy some might understand. If you have a restaurant that seats 12 people, you don't take reservations for a hundred and then when they show up you try and go buy tables to seat them. If you anticipate a demand and advertise and promote, as the tourism business in Belize is doing, you make the investment to handle that first. Building condos, resorts and creating subdivisions without the infrastructure to accommodate the people that it brings is Ass Backwards. And could be described as "short term greed".

#514648 - 06/16/16 07:44 PM Re: Can Congested San Pedro Accommodate More Tourists? [Re: Marty]
Judyann H. Offline
Agreed.....One will require the other....Unfortunately many communities are developed this way, including those in Metropolitan Cities in California..... "we will build it after they arrive" ..... I was simply stating that I will take the Congestion at Wings any day over the mess on the 405/I5/880 routes throughout California..... Hopefully the infrastructure here will happen one way or the other.....

#514676 - 06/16/16 08:35 PM Re: Can Congested San Pedro Accommodate More Tourists? [Re: Judyann H.]
bywarren Offline
I think the Las Vegas approach "build it and they will come" is more successful.

#515139 - 06/17/16 12:46 PM Re: Can Congested San Pedro Accommodate More Tourists? [Re: Marty]
Judyann H. Offline
Awwww RobertJ....We are happy to have the bridge....(To me nicer than the San Mateo).....When we had the little pull ferry to get across, many of us would simply avoid coming to either side of the island..... In fact I believe the bridge has (wait for it wink ) Bridged the Gap between the North & South..... Tee hee....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (Marty, ExtendedCareBelize, IGAmel, 1 invisible), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,674 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,056 Topics
462,294 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.