Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Hicaquenos wait in line for their turn to cast their vote at the Caye Caulker Village Council Elections 2016

Under the Sun – Sanchez sisters graduate
Proud parents, San Pedro Police Constable Donicio Sanchez and his wife Esther Aureliana Sanchez would like to congratulate their daughters on their recent graduation. Luceli Ivanni Sanchez and Nirsa Leilani Sanchez graduated on Saturday, June 11th from the University of Belize with degrees in nursing and laboratory technician, respectively. Nirsa, who is a past graduate of San Pedro High School, has been living with her family in San Pedro Town for the past eight years. Both girls look forward to using their new found knowledge to make the community a better place.

Letter to the Editor: School Situation
Dear San Pedro Sun Editor, I read with concern the need for a government school and the apparent lack of progress on the creation of one in San Pedro. The Honorable Manuel Heredia Jr. has promised one before the end of his current term but no ground has been broken or administrative progress made. Meanwhile, the number of children on the island in need of schooling seems to stretch beyond the existing walls of our educational institutions. Somehow, this island can build dozens of hardware stores, supermarkets and golf cart rental facilities — a sign that prosperity is touching some people on the island — but no school for the children? Perhaps there is a quick solution at hand. A short drive north of the Sir Barry Bowen Bridge sits the almost-never-used structure called The Hotel. My understanding is that it briefly – very briefly – opened as a hotel although it has never been completely finished. There has been a bar and a coffee shop on the ground floor – both now long closed. Why not turn this wasted space into a school? For one thing, who else in Belize could claim an elementary school with its own rooftop pool? There are adequate grounds on the lagoon side for outdoor recreational space as well.

Wolfe’s Woofer: Mexican Bus
“There doesn’t seem to be any end to these mountains,” I said. “These roads look the same as they did yesterday.” Sherry and I had rented a car and were on vacation in Mexico. “These Mexican mountains all look the same to me,” Sherry said. “They have narrow roads, none of them have guard rails and all of the other drivers are crazy.” “Honk! Honk!” A bus nearly pushed our little car off the road as it went around us. We came around a curve and saw flashing red and blue lights ahead. “Uh-oh,” I said. “It looks like an accident.”

San Pedro Town Library to host Summer Camp
In conjunction with the National Library Services and Information System, the San Pedro Town Public Library (SPTL) is pleased to present its free Annual Summer Camp. The theme for this year is ‘Cultures of Belize’, and libraries across the country will be focusing on ethnic groups of their choice. The SPTL will focus on the Garifuna and the Lebanese groups from Monday, June 27th to Friday, July 1st, from 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM. Children ages 7 to 13 are encouraged to enroll at the library from Monday to Friday, 9AM to 7PM, or Saturday 9AM to 1PM. Although the library is focusing on children, it is also opened to the general public to observe the presentations. The library also extends an invitation to the general public to their monthly “Movie Night” on Saturday, June 18th at the Emeralda Park next to the library. Children have requested to view Zootopia, and families are invited to bring the kids. The event will start promptly at 6:30PM, and snacks and juice will be on sale. The library welcomes donations from the community to be able host these activities. If you would like to donate, or need more information on the summer camp/movie night, please call 206-2028 or 631-1818

Doctor Love: Good Neighbor
Dear Doctor Love, My next door neighbor and I have been friends since we moved into this house four years ago. We always go to their parties and they come to ours. We even take care of their children for short periods of time and they do the same for us. Yesterday she came over and we were talking. All of a sudden she was telling me this story of how her husband was having an affair with a woman where he works. I thought she was going to have a complete breakdown while she was telling me this but she has no plans to leave him. I comforted her as best I could but I was horrified. I don’t feel like I can ever speak to this man or look him in the eye again. What should I do if I see him and he tries to talk to me? /s/ Good Neighbor

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

BELIZE FISHING REPORT: Weeks of June 12th – June 18th, 2016
Even though the week ended with a rainy, stormy day most of the week was pretty successful, with anglers taking advantage of the great summer fishing here at EL Pescador. The Migratory tarpon are here in addition to the year round resident tarpon , permit and bonefish. Peter got a grand slam with his first visit to El Pescador with a nice tarpon, a feisty permit and a solid bonefish. A Soft Slam goes to Mark as he led his great family to a great vacation catching a permit, tarpon and bonefish during his visit to El Pescador.

Caye Caulker: Ms. Neldy Rosado is the new chair
Ms. Neldy Rosado is the new chair Councilors are: Seleny Villanueva, Miguel Neal, Hans Badillo, Elizabeth Usher, Vanina Sosa, Juan Cantun.

For our Northie Neighbors On Ambergris
On Friday half a dozen member of the SP police force showed up at my door. I am honored to pass along the invitation they gave me. The San Pedro Police Department & The People's Coalition Committee of Ambergris Caye takes the opportunity to invile all residents and business owners of North Ambergris Caye to a special neighborhood meeting. Date: Tuesday, 21st June 2016 Time: 6:00 PM Venue: El Pescador Resort, North Ambergris Caye Topics to be discuss includes the introduction of the PCC of Ambergris Caye, revival of the North Ambergris Caye Neighborhood Watch Group and the address crime issues on the north of the island. Invited guest includes senior personnel of regional command. We stand together -- We protect each other

Rehabilitated manatee missing tracking tag
Sarteneja, Corozal and Consejo people! Information Appreciated! This is Daniel, a rehabilitated manatee from Chetumal. He has recently lost his tracking tag, and the Mexican scientists are hoping to reconnect it if they can find him, to be able to track his movements. If you see a manatee with a collar around its tail, please post or send location information to me as soon as possible (and a photo if possible) to help them find him. Thank you!!

Belize City Free Spay and Neuter Clinic
BELIZE CITY FOLKS TAKE NOTE! Help spread the word about this monumental event happening next weekend. First of its kind in the City. Spay/neuter efforts for domestic animals does wonders for both animal and human health in our communities. The alternative method of stray population control still resorted to today is horrific, cruel, and completely unnecessary. Please help support the amazing work done by Hopkins Belize Humane Society and the Belize Humane Society and Animal Shelter by simply passing on the word, or helping to recruit dogs and cats that would benefit. Let's make ALL of our lives happier and healthier.

Letter: Belize Progressive Party vehemently protests OAS resolution
The Belize Progressive Party (BPP) expresses its vehement condemnation of the recent, draft declaration on the resolution passed by the Organisation of American States (OAS) at its 46th Regular Assembly, held in the Dominican Republic. The resolution, which speaks to the commitment of Belize and Guatemala to have the matter of the territorial, insular and maritime dispute to be taken to the ICJ, reeks of intentional meddling by the OAS in an attempt to influence the process leading to the referendum in Belize. We contend such interference is entirely unacceptable, by any standard, particularly involving a hemispheric organisation such as the OAS, which must respect the sovereignty and governance processes of individual member states.

Central American Championships in El Salvador
At the completion of the Central American Championships in El Salvador, here's the medal breakdown for Belize: As reported, Kaina Martinez brings home gold in the Women's 100 M and silver in the Womens 200 M. Kaina also ran the second leg for the womens 4x100M relay. She along with Faith Morris, Tricia Florez, and Samantha Dirks snatch the gold medal for that event as well. Ashontie Carr, Kaina Martinez, and Samantha Dirks also bring home bronze in the Women's 400 Meter Relay Ashantie Carr also earned a bronze medal in the tripple jump. Alexia Neal scored the silver medal for the womens 100 Meter Hurdles, While Tricia Flores picked up the gold medal in the women's long jump. Itohan Aikhionbare won the gold for Women's shot put with a distance of 15.67m, 3.4 meters further then the second place winner. Aikhionbare will also be bringing home the silver medal for the discus throw. Katy Sealy dominated in nearly every event of the Heptathlon, earning another gold medal and a new Central American Record. For the men, Shaun Gill brings in the bronze medal for the 100 meters and joins the team of James Bregal, Brandon Jones, and Mark Anderson for a silver medal in the 4x100. Brandon Jones also brings in the gold and a new record for the mens tripple jump. Overall Belize claimed fifth place at the championships, after Panama. Guatemala, Costa Rica, and El Salvador claimed the top three spots.

Sargent Pepper's Grand Opening
Sargent Pepper's, Cayo's new fast food hamburger stop, is having their grand opening next Sunday, June 26th. They're planning a huge, all day event, and there will even be a hamburger happy hour. "Sargent Pepper's is having its official grand opening Sunday June 26th, 2016! Its an all day event and one you can't afford to miss! We will be having a photo booth area so you and your friends and family can take pictures on our beautiful background design! We will also have tons of giveaways on that day (until supplies last) and we will also have Happy Hour deals on our menu!"

Tertiary Level Empowerment Symposium
The Tertiary Level Empowerment Symposium, “Defending our Sovereignty”, led by Galen University brought students from all across the country. FCD presented on the Current Environmental Impacts of a Porous Border in the West.

The Reporter

LGBT groups hold meet and greet in Belize City
Several LGBT groups gathered at the office of the Pan American Social Marketing Organization (PASMO), to hold a meet and greet with a representative from the Dutch organization, CoC Netherlands. Derricia Castillo-Salazar, president and co-founder of the group Our Circle, explained that the CoC representative, Tieneke Sumter, is in Belize on a week’s visit as part of a larger tour of the region, to work with LGBT groups in terms of providing support for them to fulfill their desired roles. Salazar explained that the CoC, which translated from Dutch means Center for Culture and Leisure, is one of the largest LGBT support groups in the world, who already funds a lot of regional groups, including some in Belize. Salazar said that the event was geared towards having Sumter meet with members of the various groups she’ll be working with, and not just the leaders.

COLA blasts GOB for having an “ICJ agenda”
The social activism group, Citizens Organized for Liberty through Action (COLA) criticized the Government of Belize (GOB) this week for the way it has emphasized taking the Belize/Guatemala territorial dispute to the International Court of Justice (ICJ). COLA explained that GOB has been, of recent months, pressing the issue of the ICJ; however they feel that the government has neglected to discuss the requirement of holding a referendum on the matter. “The impression has been clearly given that Belize is prepared and ready to go to the ICJ, suggesting that the people have signed on to that action,” the group said. “Have any plans been put in place to hold a national referendum? Has a timeline been set for a referendum? Have our Belizeans been sufficiently and objectively apprised of the pros and cons of going to the ICJ?” The group also raised concerns about the Referendum Act and its 60 percent majority requirement to move forward on an issue. COLA says that it categorically rejects any attempt to amend the referendum act to lower the threshold, if it is done in an effort to appease Guatemala, and if it is done without consultation with the people of Belize.

Damar Choir spreading the good news through song
Damar Choir, a travelling contemporary Christian choir is in Belize this week, for a number of concerts aimed at spreading the good news through song and dance. Thirst Ministries, a mission trip coordinating organizations which handles the logistics of short term mission trips from the United States to Belize, is the coordinating organization for the choir’s visit. The choir consists of 110 members who sing, dance (with and without flags) and play instruments. On Monday the choir will perform at Guadelupe Primary School in the morning for the students, then Corozal Central Park at 6:00 p.m., for the community. Tuesday they move on to St Francis Xavier School in Corozal for the students, then Lighthouse Baptist Church in Ranchito for the community at 6:00 p.m. On Wednesday the group will be at Chapel school in the morning and will do the community show in Orange Walk Central Park at 6:00 p.m. They will do their final morning performance at Louisanna Government School, and their final evening performance in Orange Walk ECC Church.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

COLA: Are we ready for ICJ?
Accusing the Government of Belize of pushing “an ICJ agenda” at such events as the 46th OAS General Assembly through the draft resolution of support, Citizens Organized for Liberty through Action (COLA) wants to know whether the groundwork has been laid for the needed referenda to […]

Briceño: Belizeans can get away with murder
Friday morning’s shooting incident in front of the Queen Street Police Station happened no more than a block from the People’s United Party’s headquarters, Independence Hall. PUP leader John Briceño said it is a symptom of a deeper problem within society – a lack of personal […]

Well-known DJ dies in traffic accident
Confirmed reports reaching our newsroom is that a well-known DJ lost his life during a traffic accident earlier this morning. Information is still sketchy but we are being informed that the incident occurred near the village of Buena Vista in the Corozal District. The victim […]

Flash flooding in the North
The continuous rains over the past 48 hours have caused significant damages to families in different areas of Corozal. In an over the phone interview with Corozal NEMO Coordinator, Willard Levy, Breaking Belize News was made to understand that at least 20 families have been affected by […]

International Sourcesizz

Losing to win at Caribbean Court of Justice
On June 10, 2016, the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) delivered a landmark, but decidedly mixed, decision on the rights of LGBTI people. Three years ago, as a gay Jamaican citizen, and with the support of AIDS-Free World, I launched a challenge to the laws of both Belize and Trinidad & Tobago that clearly and explicitly ban the entry of “homosexuals.” I argued that Jamaica was in breach of the regional Caribbean Community (CARICOM) treaty that guarantees hassle-free movement by CARICOM nationals between the member countries of this regional bloc. In its judgment, the Court engaged in some illogical contortions in an (unpersuasive) attempt to avoid the obvious conclusion; i.e., that there is a conflict between the CARICOM treaty’s guarantee of free movement and the two countries’ laws that are patently discriminatory on their face in denying entry to homosexuals. In the end, the Court denied my application for a declaration that the statutes violate my right to free movement as a CARICOM national, choosing instead a convoluted approach of interpreting away the conflict. While it’s not the straightforward, clear finding that should have been made, it’s important to underscore that, on the substance of my claim, the Court ultimately was supportive – and in this way, the decision is an important, if incremental, step forward. Some elements of the judgment offer a basis on which to build future legal advances.

• Belize Scuba diving, 4min.