Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#515321 06/19/16 07:35 PM
D
dschick Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I'll be moving down in August. I don't have any artwork of value, but I do have a couple of paintings that were gifts from friends or are from travels. I also have sentimental photographs. Is there a trick to preserving them in the humid environmen? Is there something that I should treat them with before I bring them down?

Dawn Schick
dschick #515329 06/20/16 06:19 AM
Suggest you contact Lindsey at Belizean Arts for info.
Some of my art has endured just fine over 24 years of this weather..... Others did not..I think the paper and the medium are key elements.

dschick #515331 06/20/16 07:59 AM
R
R
I own an art gallery and a frame shop in PA, and when customers mention that they will be hanging art in humid and otherwise funky conditions, I provide a couple of suggestions.

First, do not hang art in a bathroom ....the moisture will do it in.
Second, get into the back of the frame (get rid of the paper .... look below for the alternative) and throw in a few small bags of dissicants (the kinds of things medicines or clothes are packed with) to absorb moisture.
Third, never hang art in direct sun, against an exterior wall, or anywhere that is subject to large variations of heat or cold.
Fourth, alway put UV protective glass on everything, including canvas ......if you're not using mats (acid free only, please), have your framer install spacers between the art and the glass.
Fifth, have your framer seal the glass in and use a mylar backing, well sealed, instead of paper, on everything, including canvas.
Sixth, think "acid free"; no paper or junk that leaches tanic acid (anything originating from a tree; we're talking cotton here) into your frame. Make sure your (acid free, hopefully) art is also mounted correctly on an acid free backing (no cardboard or paper). If you value your art, have your framer line the inside of wooden frames with aluminum tape.
Last, have all these things done when it is very dry outside and the art itself is bone dry.

The idea here is to isolate the art from all the nasty things (bugs, moisture, excess light, heat and chemical influences) outside the frame. If the art could be vacuum sealed, that would be great. (let me know if you find an affordable way to do this)
Frankly, if all the above stuff can be done aesthetically using sealed-corner metal frames, hooray!

All this presumes that the art is is good shape to start with .... these ideas won't cure anything (if you want THAT, go see an accomplished conservationist first); everything I've suggested will just keep it from getting worse.

There are probably other tips, but I can't think of them right now.

BTW, stay away from galleries and framers that you're not going to see again; they're looking for your vacation bucks and quality is not high on their agenda (I've seen a bunch of 'em). If you buy art, buy it without the frame, canvas stretchers, glass, etc.; roll it up, put it in a tube, take it home and have it framed right (It's a whole lot easier and cheaper to get back home, too).

Hope this helps.

(Hey, you get a framer talking & you can't shut him/her up, and we normally charge for this...:)

Last edited by RobertJ; 06/25/16 09:27 AM.
RobertJ #515345 06/20/16 05:01 PM
D
dschick Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks! I love your enthusiasm!

Dawn Schick
dschick #515451 06/24/16 11:25 AM
R
R
BTW, no insult intended to any established and reliable galleries/framers here on AC.
I would like to think that Lindsey at Belizean Arts ( an invitingly unique showplace here in AC) would concur with these basic criteria.

Last edited by RobertJ; 06/27/16 08:25 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.