Folks concerned about Caye Caulker,
I just spoke with Irene Miller again who is in Austin, Texas right now. She and her husband, Mo, own the Lazy Iguana Bed & Breakfast on Caye Caulker. Mo is on Caye Caulker and Irene has just talked with him again via Ham radio at 10:30 CDT / 9:30 CST, October 3, 2000. She asked me to tell all those concerned the following information about Caye Caulker:
- Mo had just spent 2 hours this morning going around the island to find out about the general health of the people and to assess damages.
- There are some injuries but NONE are serious.
- While vessels are in the process of bringing supplies to the island, there is a need for these specific items: Baby supplies including food, diapers, etc., blood pressure medication, antibiotics, food.
- Approximately 40% of the homes have no roofs.
- It is expected that phone service will be restored by tonight (Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2000).
- Some water taxis are running and taking tourists off the caye to Belize City.
- There is plenty of boat fuel but it is being pumped by hand as there is no electricity.
- There is no boat engine oil so boats coming from Belize City should bring enough for the return trip.
- The airstrip is clear of debris but is too wet at this time for planes to land. There is no plane fuel on the caye.
- The wind is still strong but is abating.
Irene is still planning to go to Belize on Thursday, Oct. 5, and will take with her any E-mail messages that people want to send. However, you should wait until Wednesday evening to send any messages to her as they may not be necessary by then (let’s hope the phone service is restored before then).
Her E-mail address is --> firstname.lastname@example.org
The latest weather report can be seen at.. www.hwn.org
Ham radio operators can contact Hurricane Watch Network at 14.325 MHz or contact the Salvation Army’s Health & Welfare at 14.265. Mo can also be reached 14.265 MHz and his Call Sign is V31EM.
Irene or I will continue to report information from Mo as we get it.
Regards, Jim Schwobel