Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses Lodging

Topic Options
#515508 - 06/26/16 08:18 AM bulk food
FGRoss Offline
Can you buy in bulk and at a discount foods at any of the stores on the island? Or how about at San Pedro or in the City?
Stuff like flour, rice, dry beans, spices, canned foods.
Also is there a health food store on the island or in San Pedro?
Frank and Natalie Ross
"May you always have a seashell in your pocket and sand in your shoes"

#515510 - 06/26/16 09:09 AM Re: bulk food [Re: FGRoss]
Diane Campbell Offline
Greenhouse has healthy foods .... including some gluten free items, and organic grains, quinoa etc.
Village Market has a gluten free items.
Wide variety of "natural" brand vitamins available at the purple pharmacy on middle street - across from Izzy's juice bar.
Izzy's juice bar is as healthy as it gets. Yummy.
There is a "health food" store in Belize City located near Save-U. It occupies a portion of an auto parts store (husband and wife each pursuing their passions ...).
Check with friendly restaurant owners for sources of large quantities of staple goods. IF you don't consume things quickly remember that they go stale and buggy quickly in this environment. I store all my dried beans and rices in the frig.
Super-Buy has institutional sized canned goods.
Island City has a variety of unusual Asian goods - including some interesting ginger teas.

#515511 - 06/26/16 09:26 AM Re: bulk food [Re: FGRoss]
Noelle Offline
Note: the stores listed above are in San Pedro and Belize City. That's probably clear but I thought I'd point it out since this post is in the Caye Caulker forum.

Food & Beverage in Belize City sells restaurant-sized products. Examples of what I buy there are: 3 pound bags of chocolate chips, gallon-sized olive oil, huge jars of kalamata olives (we make a lot of tapanade), industrial-sized cans of tomato sauce and bulk-sized cleaning products, many of which are "eco-freindly". Or friendlier, anyway. Personally, since I live next to the sea I make most of my cleaning products from vinegar and baking soda which is also cheaper.

I do a lot of my shopping not in stores but buying directly from people who make and grow food. I deposit $ in their account, they send stuff by Tropic Air or water taxi. I also buy from the excellent Health Food store in Spanish Lookout that same way. On Caulker we also do a lot of group buys for things to get cheaper prices.

#515512 - 06/26/16 09:55 AM Re: bulk food [Re: FGRoss]
Diane Campbell Offline
Thanks Noelle --- I should have specified location. Your info is most helpful!

#515514 - 06/26/16 10:12 AM Re: bulk food [Re: Diane Campbell]
Noelle Offline
You're welcome Diane!

I just want to add that consumer items in general, including food, on caye caulker are expensive and often difficult to get. Everything has been flown or barged in. I think people who move here from elsewhere either learn to make do with less, or get used to not having stuff they are used to getting or they get frustrated and leave. Shopping is like a scavenger hunt and over the course of years (yes years, not weeks) you find connections for things you want / need. There is no way to search the web for this stuff though Facebook is bringing it somewhat in to the open. One person brings in greens, another fruit. Someone makes coconut oil. Not people who own stores, just people making stuff or buying bulk and sharing. They aren't (always) making a profit, just sharing expenses with friends, though sometimes it's a person's living. Mostly, it's hard to prepare for life here using the internet. You have to spend time and create relationships. It can be frustrating but it's why many of us love Caye Caulker.

Edited by Noelle (06/26/16 10:14 AM)

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Shyboy), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory Picture of the Day