The news will be a bit brief for the next week or so due to time constraints

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Successful Lion Fish tournament in Caye Caulker Lobster Fest 2016!

Letter to the Editor: Felipa Carrillo says Good-bye
To the town of San Pedro: After 4 years, I am saying good bye to all of you. I, Mrs. Felipa Carrillo, “traffic warden”, formally advise the general public that today July 1, 2016, I am resigning from my post at the San Pedro Transport Department. I would like to thank you all for allowing me to work along with you the public. Foremost, a big ‘thank you’ to The San Pedro Town Council for giving me the opportunity to work with them; I really appreciate it. Yours sincerely, Mrs. Felipa Carrillo

Doctor Love: Wanting More and One The Edge
Dear Doctor Love, I have a guy friend who grew up as my neighbor. We have been friends all the way through high school up to now and our only feelings towards each other have been as friends. It is almost an older brother, younger sister kind of thing. I just got word that his girlfriend is probably going to move to the island. All of a sudden I am jealous because I know things are going to change between me and him. I have always avoided them when she came out to visit him here so I would not have to see them together. Now I feel like I need to take him out of my mind completely by getting involved with someone. That way what I feel won’t get in the way of our friendship. The problem with this idea is that I can’t find anyone else that I want. What should I do? /s/ Wanting More

Obituary: Javier Francisco Arceo
Javier Francisco Arceo, Don Fashico but the name that fit you best of all our Tati. Tati no hay sufficiente palabras para decirle cuanto lo quiero. I am fortunate to be raised by a most admirable man who made sure to be that one constant in my life to nurture me, watch me grow and to cheer me on in whatever I did. My Tati Fash will forever hold a place in my heart. The countless early morning fishing trip to the trampas that I was so fortunate to be allowed to go on. Being thrown into the middle of your fish trap by Tio Galento upon your command. Playing in your boat la Monica amazed at the fish all the way up to my knees. I can still hear Mama Vilma Scolding me to go bathe while I felt so proud to witness and be part of that special lifestyle and club you were part of. I will miss our conversations of your childhood days on the island with your mom. The fishing stories that no one could ever measure up to. Sitting and listening to you as you predict the weather by simply looking out on the horizon. The look on your face as you talked about your children and all their accomplishments is one that I will not forget.

Letter to the Editor: The Citizens are saving the day
Dear Editor, On the TV Newscast from Channel 5 Belize, from June 27, on the San Pedro Town fire, with Fire Chief Ted Smith’s comments are reminescent of the famous Donald Rumsfeld explanation of the Iraq War problems: “As you know, you go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time.” Having a national fire department, like a national police department, can be both good and bad. On the one hand, the entire country is served. On the other, it is sometimes served poorly in certain regions. Ambergris Caye has certainly outgrown its two battered engines and small cadre of professional firefighters. But as Chief Smith points out, in a country with limited resources — you can expect limited resources. How many more times can citizens be expected to save the day with the heroics of the bucket brigades? Or even our own dedicated firemen — with such limited resources and manpower — what happens the next time a fire erupts behind the commercial canyon walls in our very dense downtown? What if they can’t get access? A friend wrote to me asking about firefighting infrastructure — you know, fire hydrants. We may never reach that level of sophistication but how about firefighting cisterns?

Wolfe’s Woofer: Mayday! Mayday!
“Boom!” was the sound of our plane bouncing in an air pocket. “Help! Mayday! Mayday! Dis plane gon crash! Help!” That was the sound of Juan Lopez, my traveling companion. He was seated next to the pilot who was knocked out cold and wedged into the pilot’s seat. We were flying from Playa del Carmen, Mexico back to Chetumal in a little three-seater Mexican plane. I woke up to see the pilot crumpled up in his seat, out like a light. “Dis pilot hit his head and he ain’t awake!” Juan yelled at me. A heavily accented voice came over the radio saying, “We have heard your Mayday call. This is the control tower. Calm down and don’t worry about anything. We are going to explain how to land this plane step-by-step. First, sir. Do you speak Spanish?”

Ambergris Today

Pic of the Week - Into the Deep Blue Hole of Belize
Finnish photographer and video communications expert Viljami Väisänen is currently enjoying his student exchange and travels in Central and South America. We share his Instagram post as he recently went diving the Great Blue Hole of Belize.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

La Isla Cariñosa Academy Caye Caulker 1st Graduation Commencement Exercise
On Thursday, 30th June 2016, LICA presented its 1st set of graduates: seven Level 2 preschool students and one Standard 6 student. With our first theme of "Dive into Success," students, parents, special guest, and community celebrated with us. It was a very lovely day. Thanks to all LICA teachers who assisted in preparing for this historic event, we sincerely appreciate our team. We want to wish all our graduates the best in their next level of learning. We want to extend sincere appreciation to our guest speaker, Ms. Alma Eiley. We want to thank the community for their continuous support. We will continue to deliver a quality education to our wonderful Caye Caulker children. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Caye Caulker Lobsterfest 2016

Poets Corner: The Best!
By Abdulmajeed K. Nunez. Winning votes In Belize is a joke People believe in hanging on to politician’s shirt coat The mentality of street man Dah fi be dependent pan politicians No politicians have ever ran the business of this nation They are all about winning elections Weed, rum, sand or cash in hand Belizeans know not what they worth Politicians bait them then pretend to come to their comfort The culture politicians fashioned Is that they are lords over their minions Fifty dollars and a truck of sand Aspiring politicians need to bun this custom Youth are not fully empowered Youth Council noh is not rated supported Youth are citizens to come Elders want to hold on to power til thy kingdom come “The best is yet to come”

Heavy Metal Night at Soul Project
Soul Project was the venue Saturday night for the Angels and Demons Tour, where 5 metal bands rocked Cayo.

International Sourcesizz

Jahvillani looks to Belize
Jahvillani is banking on his ‘combination’ with a popular Belize artiste to introduce him to Central American fans. Love Fi Party is the song he did with DJ Fuego, who has a strong following in his country. Produced by Church Street Records in Belize, the song was recently released digitally. “We met through Facebook an’ him sey him woulda like do a song so we did,” said Jahvillani. “It woulda nice to get in dat market.” Central America has a vibrant reggae circuit. Countries like Costa Rica are a thriving scene for Jamaican acts. Known for songs such as Get Rich Or Die Trying, Gun A Bus’ and God And Dem, Jahvillani (given name Dujohn Edwards) has been recording for four years.

CARICOM Heads To Tackle Correspondent Banking Threat
From their boardrooms in London or New York, international banks could destabilise Caribbean economies if they decide to end their correspondent banking relationships (CBRs) with local financial institutions in order to reduce reputational risks and comply with international regulations against facilitating the funding of criminal organisations. Under that acknowledged immediate threat, the leaders of 15 Caribbean Community (CARICOM) countries will today open their latest series of talks with a clear objective to come up with solutions to protect their vulnerable economies. Already, Belize has faced a significant curtailment in the relationships its local banks have with large institutions in many other countries. In a statement issued 72 hours before the opening of the 37th Regular Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government, the CARICOM Secretariat noted that "if all correspondent banking relations are withdrawn, the region will be isolated from the rest of the world and will be unable to carry out some of the most basic of bank transactions". It added that "critical services, including remittance transfers, international trade, and the facilitation of credit card settlements for local clients, among other services, will be affected".

• A Day at Lobsterfest Caye Caulker in Under 2 Minutes, 2min.

• WILDTRACKS, 2min.

• Belize Underwater World, 8min. A Post Production video I edited for a client who is into the sport of Deep Sea Diving

• Jordan lobster hunting in Belize, 1.5min.

• Belize Wild Dolphin Encounter, 1min. We waited our entire lives for this amazing dolphin encounter. They were playing with us!

• Belize 2016, 4min. This summer my friend Lena and I had the amazing opportunity to travel to Ambergris Caye, a small island located off the mainland of Belize in Centeral America. Out of all the places I have visited Belize was hands down the most incredible place I have ever been to, and it easily found its way into my heart. The enviroment is warm and welcoming, and the raw beauty of the islands nature is far beyond words. The locals were all very kind, and the passion they had for their country and culture was beautiful. Every second of the trip was filled with unforgettable experiences and adventures that I thought only existed in movies. Belize is truly a dream world.

• Buceo Paradise Canyon Belize 9 Feb 2016, 3min. Gran visibilidad en San Pedro, Belice donde pudimos observar tiburones nodrizas o mejor conocido como Gata. Además tiburón Punta Negra apareció por el cañón. Excelente punto para buceo profundo, corales de gran color y en abundancia.