Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

Ambergris Today

Pic of the Week - Wild Underwater Encounters in Belize
"Chill with my boy Crush, giving me some fin," says Josh Nuñez who loves to explore the undewater magnificence of the Barrier Reef of Belize. He is notorious for his wild and fun images with his GoPro camera when he goes out at sea on the job. This week he had a very cool and close encounter with a sea turtle at the Mexico Rocks dive site off Ambergris Caye, Belize.

Belize to Launch Destination Plans at Key Emerging Tourism Locations
Over the next few weeks, stakeholders in the tourism destinations of Toledo, Caye Caulker, Corozal and the Mountain Pine Ridge/Caracol/Chiquibul area will launch Destination Plans that reflect the collective vision for tourism development, in coordination with the Ministry of Tourism and Civil Aviation (MTCA). The Destination Plans identify key tourism infrastructure projects and priorities that are considered critical for further sustainable development of tourism in the respective destination. The Plans are the culmination of a process started over a year ago with the support of the Inter- American Development Bank (IDB), that brought together multiple community, private and public stakeholders to craft a common, integrated approach to tourism development. This approach follows the recommendations of the National Sustainable Tourism Masterplan 2030 (NSTMP), which highlights the need for greater involvement of multiple stakeholders in destination coordination and management, and encourages local stakeholder leadership within all facets of tourism development including planning, branding and promotion, and quality management.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Sofa/futon FREE on Caye Caulker
Nice piece but has some stains that are washable or can be reapholstered. Send message and check it out.

Cultural Explosion: Indian Dancers
The participants of the Indian Dance workshop which will take place on July 27th to August 5th, 2016 in Corozal will be featured in this super event. Corozal Central Park.

Bahamas National Youth Choir
FREE CONCERT: The Bahamas National Youth Choir in Belize is in this week! Reserve your spot by picking up your free ticket today at Bliss Center for Performing Arts

Tour Guide Licenses
Please be advised that all Tour Guide Licenses expire on July 31st, 2016. Applications are now being accepted. The licensing process can take up to two (2) weeks. To avoid being unlicensed for any period of time please come in to our offices at least two weeks prior to the expiration date. Any Guide who fails to complete the entire renewal process before July 31st, 2016 and continues to operate will be seen as operating illegally. As per the Belize Tourism Board (Tour Guide) Regulations, it is an offence to operate without a valid license and a person found guilty of said offence is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding five hundred dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one (1) year, or to both such fine and term of imprisonment.

Last full breed miniature Schnauzer
$350. Consejo, Belize. 1 month 1 week. Male. Dewormed and no tail. Location Corozal Town. Can be shipped country wide. Inbox or wdatsapp @ 620-0519. Parents on the view.

The Belize Training and Employment Centre (BTEC), a unit of Beltraide is currently conducting two (2) important training sessions designed with the young and elderly persons in mind. The first training is entitled: Creating a Stronger Path to Workforce Readiness. It targets senior high schools students, especially at risk young people, as well as recent graduates and aims to provide them with introductory job preparedness training in order to build their capacity to help them to develop the self-awareness and interpersonal “soft skills” needed to be successful in the job market. The training will last for three weeks and is being held in collaboration between RESTORE Belize and BTEC.

Scholarships; bachelor degree level. The deadline for submitting a copy of your documents (for short-listing) to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, NEMO Building, Belmopan has been established at Tuesday, July 26, 2016.

1st Sir Barry Bowen Male Beach Volleyball Open
July 23, 24.

Miss Belize – Miss Costa Maya International 2016
The International Costa Maya Festival is excited to announce its eight and final contestant vying for the title of Miss Costa Maya International 2016. Meet Miss Belize, Yadira Yvette Argueta. Yadira Yvette Argueta is an enthusiastic and determined young lady who is currently pursuing a Bachelors Degree in accounting at the University of Belize. The twenty two year old works full time in the accounting field. Her future endeavor is to pursue a Masters degree in finance and aspires to become an auditor and eventually open her own accounting firm. However, her dichotomous nature is truly revealed as she regularly trades in her office wear for the catwalk in expression of her passion for modeling and pageantry. Miss Argueta captured the title and Queen of the Bay Belize in 2012, one of the most prestigious pageants of the country of Belize . She also represented Belize in Miss PJD2 Caribbean pageant in 2014. In her leisure she enjoys dancing, singing playing sports and meeting new people. She also enjoys reading and stimulating conversation in an effort to quench her undying thirst for knowledge. “It takes a whole village to raise a child” is the proverb that has become the Motto Yadira chooses to live by. She is a mentor to many adolescents and she is always willing to lend a helping hands to those in need.

Channel 7

Double Arraignment For Men Accused of Beheading Pastor
All this weekend, Belizeans were equally intrigued and horrified with the news that a Dangriga pastor, Llewellyn Lucas had been beheaded and a big money Belmopan based businessman was found with the pastor's head in the pan of his pickup truck. Not only was it in the pan of his truck, the businessman was taking some drinks at a bar when police found the head in his truck! It's the most bizarre case we've ever heard, and likely marks a disturbing first for Belize. Yes, there have been beheadings, but a pastor's perfectly intact head – stored like a trophy – in a bucket in the pan of a wealthy man's pickup truck!? It is truth stranger than fiction… We'll have all the details you need tonight, but we start with what's happening right now. Belmopan police are scrambling to arraign the main suspect. He's 46 year-old William Mason, who also has a number of aliases and assumed names including Ted Oulette. Police say that over the weekend they found Pastor Llewellyn Lucas' head in Mason's vehicle.

Pastor Beheading Could Be The Crime of The Decade
So that's the wrinkle late this evening – and we'll have more on it during the news, but all weekend long, just like everyone else, we've been trying to wrap our heads around it. There are so many angles to this case and that's primarily because the accused is a mystery man – and one with lots of money, and this tentacles run deep into politics and law enforcement. He goes by many names, but we'll start with William Alexander Mason. That's the name on the birth certificate for a Guyanese man who is believed to be named Danny Ouelette – or he could also be Canadian Ted Ouelette, or he could be Belizean William Ferguson…those are all the names this man went by. And if that makes your head spin – it's only the start for a man who claimed to be a vet, a pig farmer, a property developer, heck, he even said he was a chef – and he wasn't just talk, William Mason owned a mansion and a huge 160 acre ranch, among other valuable assets.

The Mysterious "Mr. Mason"
Indeed, it appears that William Mason had many ongoing business transactions – both licit and illicit, including two with prominent businessmen from the Cayo District who he had allegedly extorted. Both made reports to police, but one of them withdrew the complaint and allegedly paid Mason one hundred and four thousand dollars, while the other fled the country, fearing for his family's safety. That – along with his multiple bogus identities – is why he was under observation by Belmopan police – who, just by sheer luck - came upon him on Friday night – hours after Llewellyn Lucas had been be-headed. Today police discussed the cases that he was under investigation for, and why they had taken so long to arrest him:…

Did The Well Connected William Mason Get Special Treatment?
But, even if he was evasive and cunning, how much of the delay in tracking him down was due to the fact that William Mason was a very big man in Belmopan? In three years, he had insinuated himself into the company of many powerful and not so powerful people. Today the media asked police minister John Saldivar if he was one of Mason's many friends – even after the Minister made it clear that there would be no special treatment for him:… Hon. John Saldivar - National Security Minister: "We want to make it absolutely clear that this investigation will be conducted with the greatest openness and transparency because there are no sacred cows in this investigation and no special connection that will give Mr. Mason any special privilege." Geovannie Brackett: "Is he being well connected going to hinder the investigation? How will this be treated?" Hon. John Saldivar - National Security Minister: "Well absolutely will not have any effect, I do not know who he is well connected to and I don't know what you mean by well connected. If you're asking the question if I know Mr. Mason obviously he is a resident of Belmopan and a business man and in terms of my direct involvement with him at some point last year he had made some contributions to my football club the Bandits but that is the extent of it..."

Mason's Gun License Suspicious
So, no one did favours for William Mason – but does his gun license suggest that someone bent the rules for him? The slot that should have the number of his passport is blank. And, indeed, we are told that while he did have a Belizean birth certificate under the name William Mason, he never did get a Belizean passport under that name. Today the media asked police about that license:… Hon. John Saldivar - National Security Minister: "I have never done any favour for Mr. Mason with respect to gun licenses so those are all false allegations. I have never done so and as I've already pointed out to you in answering you question it is the Commissioner of Police that approves gun licenses." Reporter: "The file for Williams Mason when was applying for a gun licenses the only we are reliably informed within that file now is a police record. That police record is missing the passport number. Yes he's sighted as a Belizean citizen but his passport number is missing. There is no ID number to go by for him."

Minister Saldivar Says He Had No Dispute With Pastor Lue
But, if Saldivar wasn't friendly with Mason, then he surely was a friend to Llewelyn Lucas. He posted on his Facebook page today that Lucas was his childhood friend that they were altar boys and scouts together. But while Saldivar has fond reminiscences of Lucas who he calls a friend and brother, the feeling wasn't mutual. Up to the end of June, Lucas was posting on his Facebook page that Saldivar wasn't helping him with a property issue. Today Saldivar said that was a non-issue to him:… Hon. John Saldivar - National Security Minister: "I have not read his site. I will not get into the details of what I know about his issues within his family those are family issues I believe if that is the same thing you are talking about but it had absolutely nothing to do with me. I know that he had made a public plea for me to help him in his family dispute over the house but I did not see it fit for me to get involved in a family matter."

Croc Kills 8 Year Old In Maypen Waters
It would have been a headline on any other night…but tonight a man eating croc is in the second segment because of the Pastor Llewllyn Lucas beheading. A family from Maypen Village in the Belize River Valley is trying to come to terms with the tragic loss of a child. She's 8 year-old Adriana Moody, and she was killed by a crocodile which attacked her. Baby Adriana was swimming with 2 other kids and her aunt Indira Rhaburn. That's when the crocodile, which had been lurking in the deeper waters, grabbed her by the leg and dragged her under. The aunt shouted for her mom, Bridget Moody, who immediately jumped into a dory and set chase. She spotted the croc nearby, and without any regard for her own safety, used the paddle to strike it in the head. But, it was futile, the crocodile dove down and swam away – with the child clutched in its jaws.

Getting It Right The Second Time: Mason & Co.'s Second Arraignment
Just before the news, we told you about the failure of the late evening arraignment of William Mason and the other men charged for Pastor Llewelyn beheading. Well, our news team only just came back from court, and the defence attorney, Herbert Panton told us why he thinks that his clients are being mistreated by what he calls a fiasco: Herbert Panton - Attorney for Mr. Mason: "The prosecutor at the time indicated that he only needed a day and the matter was adjourned for 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon; the claim that the crime happened at the ranch at mile 31 which would place it in the Belize judicial district so the matter would have been brought before some magistrate here tomorrow. The magistrate in Belmopan also ordered that my clients be released because they had already gone way pass the 48 hour mandated by the constitution in which the police is authorized to hold them. Instead of having my clients walk out of court the police acted in breach of a court order, placed my clients back in the police vehicle, took them to the station and put in the lock up; after about a half hour of one senior officer giving one order and senior officer giving another order. It was ordered they be given their belongings and released.."

Security Ministry Unveils New Plan For Gangs
As you saw, today's press conference by the Ministry of National Security was dominated by news of the Pastor Llewelyn Lucas beheading. But, the truth is, the press conference had been planned a week earlier – as a response to the flare up in gang activity in Belize City. To begin the press conference, Police Minister Saldivar outlined a re-energized effort at suppressing gang activity in Belize – which has the murder rate on a record pace: Hon. John Saldivar - National Security Minister: "This year we seem on a pace to equal or exceed last year's murder count and that has to be a cause for pause by all of us. What we do know and see if a continuation of the gang warfare, a continuation or the senseless killing among our young black youths of the city. Worth of note is the alarming trend that shows an increase in gang membership from just under 800 in 2013 to over 1,000 in 2016. When we add this to the fact that since 2013 over 115 gang members have been murdered it suggest that for every gang member killed, 3 new members are recruited most of whom come from out vulnerable Belize City youth population. Cabinet is determined to take another shot at finding a lasting solution and has tasks the deputy prime minister who has responsibility for youth to lead a task force to come up with some recommendations."

How Did Mason Get Into CEMO?
Throughout the news, you've heard all of the angles related to William Mason, also known as Ted Oulette, among many other names. 7 weeks ago, we were introduced to him, William Mason, businessman and supposed philanthropist extraordinaire as part of the City Emergency Management Organization's rescue and evacuation response He claimed back then at the CEMO press conference that his outfit was equipped with generators which could quote, "light up a place like a football field". For reference, we re-air a portion of that interview in which he claimed to have a 25 member staff who were able to deploy a drone service at a moment's notice: FILE (June 1, 2016) Phillip Willoughby - City Council, CEMO: "Whenever we hear the term emergency management, emergency planning, yes you hear at the head from NEMO then normally you would hear directly from myself and it would always me making these comments. So this time around I want you to hear directly from the experts who will be directly responsible for providing the actual safety, the actual ground work."

Pastor Lue Was Loved
And while you've heard and seen so much about William Mason tonight as the supposed orchestrator of a beheading, what about the victim? Well, in between the very involved police investigation and court updates, there is Lucas's grieving family who is waiting patiently for answers as to why their loved one was ruthlessly murdered. Today his Belmopan family told us off camera that they are still trying to come to terms with his death because "Pastor Lue" as he was affectionately called, was loved and respected by everyone. Lucas' sister told us that he left Belize for New York in 1990 to work in the family business with his brother. He lived in New York for about 14 years. During that time he studied to become a pastor. Lucas had just recently returned to Belize a couple years ago and was the head pastor of a Baptist church in Dangriga. Lucas also lead sermon's here at the Belmopan Baptist Church as well as other churches across the country. His sister told us she will always remember him as a vibrant and passionate person.

Armed Robbers Took Thousands From The Tax Office
Belmopan police are looking for an employee of the income tax department to charge him in connection with a daring robbery that happened at that office on Friday. Three men in camouflage clothing stormed into the building at 5:50. One of them pointed a gun at a police officer who was providing security and then tied up all four persons who were in the office – also taping up their mouths. One of the robbers then snatched $29,000.00 dollars in cash from the drawer - which were the tax receipts for the day. They then took personal items and cash from the employees as well as the police officer's weapon, a 38 revolver with five live rounds and his police cap. Investigations, security footage and a matched fingerprint show that an employee is involved and police expect to make an arrest shortly.

One Month After Beating Murder Rap, Ronlee Charged For Another Killing
Exactly one month ago on June 17th., 7News was at court when Ronlee Petillo beat another murder rap, and scooted away from court a free man. IT was the second time he had gotten off murder – in that case for the 2011 killing of a market vendor. Well, he has been charged again – this time for the murder of Roger Banner. Banner was killed 10 days ago on West Canal in what police say was a drug related shooting. Today the officer commanding southside told us why they believe it's Ronlee again:.. Jules Vasquez: "Sir now Ronlee recently came off a murder in which he on remand I think 5 years. Are you saying that he went to a murder right after he came off of a murder?" ACP Chester Williams- O. C. Eastern South: "Well that is what we are receiving, our investigation has pointed directly towards him and so resulting from our investigation we have laid charge against him yesterday for the murder of Roger Banner."

Ice Skating In Belize?
Ice Skating in Belize, a tropical country which never snows? That's what the professional dance company from Russia is offering to the Belizeans who come out to see their show. These professional dancers are part of the Moscow Ballet on Ice, a dance company that has performed all over the world. They're come to Belize for the first time, and today, they gave us a preview what you could expect if you come out to see them: They'll be here for only 4 days, performing first at the Bliss Centre for the Performing Arts. They will be there on July 30 and 31. The show then moves to San Pedro for a performance on August 3. Then, they finish up in San Ignacio on August 6. Tickets are on sale at the Bliss.

Channel 5

A Pastor is Butchered and Decapitated on a Sprawling Ranch
At news time, police are transporting from Belmopan to Belize City, the prime suspect and four other men to be arraigned for the chilling murder of a pastor. The group [...]

William Mason Financed Belmopan Bandits
William Mason is being charged along with Terence Fernandez, Keron Fernandez, Ernest Castillo and Ashton Vanegas. Mason is being represented by attorney Herbert Panton of Lindo’s Law Firm. The brutal [...]

Is Alleged Murderer Linked to Senior Politicos?
Just in case you underestimate Mason’s connections, we can tell you tonight that the case is being handled under extremely tight security protocols – including heavy armed guard at the [...]

Mason Will Likely Face Additional Kidnapping Charges
Tonight there is a very strong suggestion that the murder of Lucas may not be the only crime hanging over Mason’s head. In fact, the reason for the preliminary detention [...]

How Did Mason Get Belizean Nationality?
William Mason is allegedly a dual national with ties to Canada and Guyana – but when Police seized his documents they found out that he seems to be a tri-national [...]

Minor Killed By Crocodile in May Pen
The Moody family in May Pen, Belize District is tonight grieving the sudden death of eight year old Adrianna Moody, whose body was retrieved this morning from the Belize River [...]

Jaguars Threaten Livestock in Small Community
But aside from crocodiles in the May Pen Village, there is also another threat to residents since wild cats have been spotted coming frighteningly close to the village. According to [...]

Investigation into Chiquibul Death Finally Gets Underway
There have not been official details on the investigation into the death of Guatemalan minor Julio René Alvarado Ruano, which occurred on April twentieth, 2016 in the Chiquibul. Today the [...]

William Mason, AKA Ted Ouelette, is Trooped to Court
In the latest development on the murder of Pastor Lucas, late this evening, five men, including purported criminal mastermind William Mason, were trouped to the Magistrate’s Court in Belize City [...]

Arraignment of Alleged Murderers is Delayed to Tuesday
Outside the courtroom building this evening, a detail of heavily armed law enforcement personnel stood guard over the vehicle transporting the alleged murderers.  Moments later, Panton informed the media that [...]

The GSU is Back to Address Escalating Gang Tension
The Lucas murder is certainly center stage, even if Belize does see more than its share of violent crime. In fact the press conference hosted by the Ministry of National [...]

Saldivar Says Police Abuse Will Not Be Tolerated
But while the GSU has the blessings of the government, it’s not exactly carte blanche. The unit has taken a bad rap, perhaps very deserved, for its militant stance when [...]

BPD Will Also Crack Down on Quality of Life Crimes
With the appointment of an action task force, enhanced community policing and the GSU, the Ministry of National Security is pulling out all the stops. There’s one new move which [...]

Ladyville Police Say Burglary Tied to Domestic Situation
Last week, we reported on a woman detained under curious circumstances at the Ladyville Police station.  Ana Villacorte, a victim of an alleged burglary, told News Five that she was [...]

Career Criminal Charged for Banner Murder
He recently was released from prison after five years on remand for a murder charge, but tonight, Ronlee Petillo is back behind bars after he was formally charged for the [...]

Cop Charged for Attempted Murder
Earlier today, a police officer and another man were placed on remand at the Belize Central Prison for last Thursday’s attempted murder of twenty-nine-year old Nigel Castillo who was shot once [...]

Football, Basketball and Softball in Weekend Sports
Good evening, I’m James Adderley and this is Sports Monday.   We begin with Belize District Football t the MCC Grounds where the mad dash to make the championship match [...]

Robbers Target Western Union Orange Walk Branch
Orange Walk Police are tonight looking for two persons believed to be responsible for the midday robbery of a Western Union Branch here in Orange Walk Town. The robbery occurred this afternoon at around 12:15 when 2 men entered the establishment, one of them armed with a firearm, and held up one employee and two customers. Jose Mendez – Inspector of Police, Orange Walk: “Today we receive information of a robbery in progress at Western Union at Belize/Corozal Road address where the police visited the area where the cashier Ortiz reported that the establishment was robbed at gun point. Based on information received we are seeking for two individuals at this moment, police at still following all leads gathered and we hope by the end of today or tomorrow we suppose to also have positive information as to the suspects.”

John Saldivar Speaks Of Relationship With Mason
At the heels of Pastor lucas’ death, information coming out is huge and some even indicate that Guyanese national, William Mason who also goes by the name of Rajesh Ouelet had built connections with high ranking cabinet ministers here in Belize including Minister of National Security, John Saldivar. Today Saldivar admitted that he had indeed met Mason, who assisted him with sponsorship for his football club last year but otherwise he has no affiliations with the accused murderer. Honorable John Saldivar – Minister of National Security: “If you asking the question if I know Mr. Mason obviously he was a resident of Belmopan, a businessman and in terms of my direct involvement with him at some point last year he had made some contributions to my football club, the Bandits, but that is the extent of it I have not heard or seen Mr. Mason since September last year, we do not at this time have any friendship.”

San Pablo Village Council Divided
The village council of San Pablo is made up of a PUP chairman, three PUP and three UDP counselors who made a commitment to the people to work as one for the betterment of the village. But it seems that the San Pablo village council, much like the one in Trial Farm village is already facing disunion as on Friday the official swearing in ceremony for the team was held but the three councilors from the UDP slate were not present for the occasion. Javier Sabido- Chairman: “Yo le he mandado una carta oficial, una invitación a cada miembro del concilio, a los seis miembros electos que vengan para hacer el juramento oficial aquí en San Pablo Community Centre Hoy a las siete de la noche, lamentable mente los tres miembros electos del UDP no aparecieron aquí sin ninguna razón y se les mando una carta oficial donde se les invita que hoy iba ser el juramento oficial.” Even though an official invitation was sent to the three UDP councilors, they were a no show. Their actions, according to Chairman Javier Sabido, speaks volumes of their willingness to work for the betterment of San Pablo.

Five Injured In Traffic Accident
A traffic accident on the Philip Goldson Highway over the weekend between a pickup truck and an SUV left five persons injured. The accident occurred on Sunday evening at around 5:40. Indications are that 24 year old Roby Morales, Belizean Accountant of Santa Clara Village, Corozal District, was driving the pickup truck on the Xaibe Road heading towards Corozal Town when the SUV driven at the time by 32 year old Ramona Lewis, Belizean Income Tax Officer of San Narciso Village, Corozal collided into the pickup truck as it approached a curve at the entrance of Xaibe Village. Travelling along with Morales at the time of the accident was 25 year old Sheila Medina, Belizean Secretary of Patchakan Village, Corozal who sustained abrasions to the left side of her face. Twenty nine year old Paul Lewis, Belizean Police Officer of Ladyville Village, Belize District, who was in the SUV along with two minors sustained a cut wound over his right eye and left knee and complained of pain to his chest while the seven and two year old minors complained of pain to the right foot and hand respectively.

Computer Classes Offered To Students In Chan Pine Ridge Village
In keeping with their campaign manifesto to work for the progress of the community, today the newly elected members of the Chan Pine Ridge Village council launched their first summer computer course with the participation of more than 30 children from the village. According to PUP councilor, German Tzul, the course is geared at providing participant with an early start in the field of technology. German Tzul- Councilor: “First of all let me highlight that this is the first time that an initiative like this is being undertaken by the village council and we feel very good about it because from day one we promised all the people that we will be taking advantage of all the resources that we have in the village and I believe this is one of the major steps that we are taking in taking advantage of the computer lab. In this time and era as we all know technology plays a very, very vital role in many things; in communication, in education and I believe this is one of the areas that we are focusing now in terms of education because many of our students need to be prepared with technology, how to manipulate a computer, it is sad to know that many of four leaders, church leaders, political leaders, many of our educators do not know how to manipulate a computer and I believe that by teaching our students the basics, that is the first step we need to undertake is vital.”

OWDFA Recruits Players For National Selection
The Orange Walk Football Federation in collaboration with the Orange Walk national football team, today started the selection process for the under seventeen tournament where football teams from all across the country will face off in hope of being drafted by the Football Federation of Belize to form the national team. Nicki Ramos- Head Coach- OW National Team: “Today we are starting a session where we are going to be picking up players for the to make it to a National Team to represent Orange Walk. We have quite a few boys coming out and we are going to see what they have and based on that we are going to select a team to represent Orange Walk in the district eliminations, it’s a three day tournament that will be held in Belmopan and there we will compete against other districts.” Orange Walk has long been ignored in the field of football, something that according to Head coach for the Orange Walk selection, Nicki Ramos, must change.

Barbaric Murder In Belmopan, Pastor Decapitated
The death of forty seven year old Llewellyn Lucas, a pastor of Dangriga in the Stann Creek District, has left the entire nation in a state of shock and disbelief due to the gruesome manner in which he was murdered in the country’s capital. Reports indicate that sometime around 1:00 on Friday afternoon, Lucas was taken to a farm located on mile 31 on the George Price Highway owned by forty six year old Guyanese national, William Alexander Mason where he was reportedly stabbed numerous times and then decapitated. While the perpetrators might have thought that they would get away with the crime easily, what they did not know is that Mason was under police scrutiny for approximately two months in connection with a kidnapping.

How Did Accused Murderer Obtained Belizean Birth Certificate?
As the nation recovers from the sensational killing of Llewellyn Lucas the million dollar question is who is William Mason? What we can tell you is that numerous investigations have revealed that he is notorious for scamming a number of individuals in various countries across the world using different identities. Mason has been living in Belize for approximately three years and records show that he obtained a birth certificate which indicates that he is of Belizean nationality and was born in the village of Crooked Tree which of course, has raised many questions. During the press conference held earlier today, the Minister of Immigration, Godwin Hulse indicated he had absolutely no knowledge about how Mason obtained the birth certificate but it wouldn’t have been that difficult.

Who Is William Mason?
As we mentioned 46-year-old, William Alexander Mason was arraigned in the Belmopan Court this evening. Since the news of Pastor Lucas’ beheading circulated, many have been asking why. What we found interesting, however, is the many entanglements Mason has gotten himself into and even more interesting is the fact that he had to have been […]

No Special Treatment for Mason, Says Deputy Compol
The name of Minister John Saldivar has been popping up frequently since William Mason was arrested for murder. There have been reports that the minister had a very close friendship with Mason and had enjoyed certain privileges. Minister John Saldivar weighed in on those reports. JOHN SALDIVAR “Absolutely will not have any effect I don’t […]

The Cayo Street Home for Pastor Lucas
Prior to his death, Pastor Llewellyn Lucas had been making some posts on his Facebook posts referring to a house at number thirteen Cayo Street in Belmopan and asking Minister John Saldivar for help. He had also posted about being jilted of money from the Saint John’s Credit Union. Saldivar spoke on this issue. JOHN […]

NEMO’s Connection with Mason
At the opening of the 2016 Hurricane Season, the Belize City Council had made a presentation on their plans for search and rescue. During that briefing, William Mason had done a presentation on the issue and spoke of his group’s role in aiding the Natioanl Emergency Management Organization. Today, Councillor Philip Willoughby spoke of Mason’s […]

Mexican Experts In-Country for Chiquibul Investigation
A team of experts has been deployed to conduct an independent report on the incidents that surround the death of a Guatemalan minor, Julio Rene Alvarado Ruano, on April 20 2016. According to the Embassy of Mexico the decision came as a request form the governments of Belize and Guatemala. The independent commission will consist […]

Income Tax Robbed of $30K
As our newscast was winding down on Friday, we had received reports of a robbery at the Income Tax Department just after five o’clock. We had reported that over thirty thousand dollars was taken in that robbery and that police were on the case. Love News spoke with the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Russell Blackett […]

Tulcey Pleads Guilty to Drug Trafficking
Thirty-six year old Amilcar Tulcey, one of 9 persons charged with drug trafficking and 2 counts of possession of a controlled drug, pled guilty to the charges when he appeared today before Senior Magistrate Sharon Fraser. He was sentenced to 3 years and was fined ten thousand dollars for drug trafficking. He was given until December […]

Belizean Extracted Safely from Istanbul Airport
Last Friday, as chaos unfolded in Istanbul, Turkey, in all the confusion a delegation of Belizeans transiting through were stuck at the International Airport. Martha Carrillo was one of those Belizeans who were en-route to South Africa to attend the International Aids Conference. She was travelling alone when her flight was cancelled and she was […]

Saldivar Says Statistics Don’t Show the Lives Saved by Police
In today’s national security press conference Minister John Saldivar spoke of the crime statistics generally focusing more on murders and shootings. Saldivar went on to speak of the efforts being made to address the crime situation ranging from human resources to equipment. While the minister spoke of the statistics, he did note that numbers […]

Youths At Risk Must Be Given Attention in the Fight Against Gangs
The situation with the gangs in Belize City has put a spotlight on crime as no one really pays mind to the nature or circumstances of the killings but rather to the numbers. Minister Saldivar in his address today, stated that the at risk youths need to be paid more attention to in the fight […]

BTB hosts digital marketing summit
Social media has become the marketplace of the future, and in some cases, the present, as business strive to reach new customers and maintain existing ones. It is no different for the tourism industry, where every property promises a different experience for the visitor. The Belize Tourism Board, be...

Four-way pileup in City snarls traffic
A chain reaction, originally begun with this morning’s turnover of the Bowen and Bowen vehicle in Ladyville, resulted in two vehicles traveling into Belize City being severely damaged.Because of the Ladyville scene, traffic had slowed coming into Belize City, with cars nearly bumper to bumper up to ...

Dangriga and Ladyville teens reported missing
A 15 year old girl has been reported missing in Dangriga. According to the girl’s on Wednesday, 13th July, at about 8:00 p.m., her 15-year-old daughter Immani Taylor, a 2nd form student, left home to an un-known destination and up to the time of making the report, Immani had still not yet returne...

Country wide blackout, Mexico’s CFE assists BEL to restore power
The country of Belize experienced power outages during the course of Friday morning. According to a statement from Belize Electricity Limited (BEL), the national grid was being supplied solely by in-country generation to allow for scheduled maintenance on the portion of Mexico’s CFE’s system which s...

Losses to Bowen and Bowen Ltd. from a traffic accident this morning ascend to over 9 thousand dollars. The incident happened near mile 8 on the Philip Goldson Highway after 4 this morning and interrupted the flow of traffic for over three hours. A dozen Bowen employees were called out early to salv...

Boyfriend tries to prevent girlfriend who stabbed him from going to jail
21 year old Ernestine Noralez, known as “Queenie”, originally from Dangriga Town but now residing in Double Head Cabbage, Belize District, is accused of stabbing her common-law partner once in the chest, near the heart, almost killing him as a result. That was about a month and a half ago on May 29,...

Luis Carter charged in San Pedro confrontation
Construction worker 23 year old Luis Carter has been arraigned for attempted murder, use of deadly means of harm and dangerous harm upon Dwayne Hyde and for aggravated assault upon Kimberly Humes, his common-law wife, following an incident reported earlier this week on the island of Ambergris Caye. ...

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Homicide in San Ignacio Town
Police in San Ignacio Town are investigating the murder of a man that happened around 7:30 p.m. in the Santiago Juan Layout area on Bullet Tree Road, Cayo District. Details are still sketchy but according to reports, police were called to the scene shortly […]

On Section 53, Church Senator says, ‘let us pray’
Senator for the Churches, Pastor Ashley Rocke, has met with Pastors and representatives of the two Church associations; the Council of Churches and the newly organized National Evangelical Association of Belize. Senator Rocke said that the meeting produced a strategy leading up to the July […]

Belizean safe after being stuck in Turkey during coup attempt
A Belizean was stuck at the international airport in Istanbul, Turkey during the attempted coup in that country on Friday. The family of Martha Carillo, the Country Representative for PASMO Belize which implements health programs to prevent HIV, confirmed she was travelling to Durban, South Africa […]

Girl’s body recovered from river
The body of eight-year-old Adriana Moody, the little girl dragged underwater by a crocodile on Sunday while swimming, was recovered this morning in the Maypen area, according to police sources. The crocodile was also reportedly shot and killed. Moody’s body has since been transported to the […]

Belize: Playground for international criminals
The news this weekend of Pastor Llewlyn Lucas’ unbelievable death and beheading has rocked the country. It is an absolutely stunning crime, one that seems to have many layers, and it becomes even more complicated as more details begin to emerge. Investigators have pledged […]

Western Union Agency in Orange Walk robbed
BBN has received reports that the Western Union Agency located on Corozal Road in the Orange Walk District has just been robbed40 p.m.. This is a developing story and will be updated shortly. © 2016, […]

Suspects charged for pastor’s murder; ringleader linked to many scams
According to police, at 8:45 p.m. on July 15th, they visited an establishment located in the Industrial Site area Belmopan where Police conducted a search on a male person who identified himself as 46-year-old William Mason AKA Ted Ouellet, who at the time was accompanied by […]

Little girl dragged down into river by crocodile
An intense search by family members, volunteers and authorities is currently underway in the village of Maypen in the Belize District to search for the body of 8-year-old Adriana Moody. BBN was made to understand that sometime yesterday after 3:00 p.m., Moody […]

Belize begins 3rd Trade Policy Review
As a member of the World Trade Organization (WTO) and under the General Agreement on Trade and Tariffs (GATT), Belize is subject to a review of its trade policies every six years. The third such review is now on and Belize’s Ministry of Trade […]

National Security Minister to address crime situation in Belize
A press conference has been scheduled for this morning, July 18th 2016 by Hon. John Saldivar, Minister of National Security to address the current crime situation and outline his Ministry and the Police Department’s renewed and retooled strategy to effectively counter it. The Press […]

Belize Eco-Kids Summer Camp 2016 – Day 1
We started with an icebreaker – the Supreme Spherical Orb of Information, simplified to the Question Ball, where a big beach ball was thrown around. It was scribbled with questions (among them ‘where are you from’ ‘Batman or Superman’ ‘do a handstand’, to loosen up the campers and get to know them. After that, we played the Food Game – everybody picked their nickname, the only requirements being that the letter of the food started with our own, so we got Jarvin Jelly, Peter Potato, Athena Anchovy… After the games, we started on the banners – the campers were divided into the Toucans, the Jaguars, the Howler and the Tapirs. They then colored in and personalized their team flags, creating a huge mess and having loads of fun as they chased each other around with markers and crayons. So after a massive cleanup, we assigned each camper to their dorms and let them loose on Chaa Creek. Amazingly, half an hour later all the buildings were still intact and we were ready for dinner!

Canoeing on the Macal River
The rainforests of western Belize gently filter and purify rainwater which flows downstream from the Maya Mountains to the meandering Macal River. A beautiful natural setting teeming with birds, amphibians, and reptiles, and lushly covered in vegetation on its banks, a canoe trip down the Macal River is a unique opportunity to experience nature in Belize at its best. The Macal River starts in the highlands of the Maya Mountains of Belize and wends its way more than 200 miles (320 km) before exiting in the Caribbean Sea. While the headwaters are too turbulent for canoeing, the lower part of the river is navigable all year round with canoes. Most canoe tours use either three-person canoes or inflatable kayaks that are ideal even for beginners. With an experienced local guide on board, participants can enjoy canoeing down one of the most beautiful rivers in Belize through unspoiled scenery teeming with life. Along the way, participants can get a chance to see hundreds of species of birds, including kingfishers, raptors, orange-breasted falcons, Gray Necked Wood Rails, Mangrove Swallows, the Social Flycatcher, rufous-capped warblers, crossbills, eastern bluebirds, pine siskins, and the Black Phoebe.

International Sourcesizz

Purple Heart lost in the sand returned to Andover veteran
Wondering how the medal wound up on a beach in Belize led an Army veteran to Andover. For many years Beth Settle has used her metal detector to find treasures in some unlikely places. She’s combed beaches, rivers and lakes in places such as the Cayman Islands, Aruba and Canada, unearthing foreign coins, jade rings, jewelry and even a solid gold diabetic bracelet. So when her machine began to buzz a few feet from the ocean in the tiny village of Hopkins, Belize, in June, Settle didn’t get too excited. “It sounded like a quarter,” she said. About 4 inches down, Settle saw something tattered and purple and thought it was a toy. When she cleaned it off, however, the Army and Air Force Reserve veteran knew she’d found something special. It was a Purple Heart, the military decoration given to those who have been killed or wounded in combat. There was a name on the back of the medal, and lucky for Settle, it was unique: Terrance Rybarczyk.

Fourth family member from Belize sentenced in fraud case
A Belize man who was one of four family members convicted in a scheme to steal almost $300,000 in unemployment funds and benefits from multiple federal agencies, was sentenced today by U.S. District Judge James C. Mahan to 87 months in prison, three years of supervised release and ordered to pay approximately $297,000 in restitution. The announcement was made by U.S. Attorney Daniel G. Bogden for the District of Nevada. Frederick Vernon Williams, 35, was convicted by a jury in January of 20 counts total, including conspiracy to commit mail fraud, aggravated identity theft, mail fraud, theft of government money, making a false statement in application for a passport, and making false citizenship claims. At sentencing, the judge found that he had been an organizer and leader in the scheme to defraud the agencies.

UA's Brooks Ellis and his summer in Belize
However one distinction Ellis seems to have clinched. As a pre-med student, he is the only Razorback that joined his fellow biology class students experiencing a summer internship in the Central America country of Belize. Ellis was asked about his Belize experience as he and senior defensive tackle Deatrich Wise of Carrolton, Texas and senior tight end Jeremy Sprinkle of White Hall joined Arkansas Coach Bret Bielema during the Razorbacks’ Wednesday session of SEC Media Days in Hoover, Ala. It literally was a hot time, Ellis said. “I stepped off the plane, and did not stop sweating the entire time,” Ellis said. “Three nights I had no AC and that was probably the worst nights of my life, I need some AC to sleep. But it was a great time, learned a lot, great experience.” And a sobering one experiencing a country of have-nots trying to muddle through.

IMF chief: Loss of small-country bank access risks ‘systemic’ disruptions
The loss of correspondent banking relationships in developing countries as major banks try to limit risk exposures could marginalize small economies and cause “systemic” disruptions to their financial systems, the head of the International Monetary Fund said. IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde said in prepared remarks at the New York Federal Reserve that regulators in both major financial center countries and small countries need to do more to help banks maintain these relationships. “I am concerned that all is not well in this world of small countries with small financial systems. In fact there is a risk that they become more marginalized.” She said these already have hit a number of Caribbean countries, where as of May, at least 16 banks in five countries have lost all or some of their correspondent banking relationships. Reuters reported last week that the problem is particularly acute in Belize.

• Belize Mission Trip June 22-June 30, 2016, 6.5min.

• Caye Caulker Lobster Fest 2016, 14min. Nazaly Young brings to life the exciting Caye Caulker Lobster Fest 2016 interviewing lobster vendors, visitors and residents on the rustic island of Caye Caulker in Belize.

• A Day in San Pedro, Belize, 3min.

• BCCI Expo Belize Market Place TV Ad 2016 (Short), 1.5min. 20th Anniversary of the Expo Belize Market Place!

• Belize 2016, 16min.

• Belize Scuba diving, 4min.

• BELIZE July 2016, 4.5min.

• Mexico And Belize Fun, 4.5min. This is from my 2016 YWAM Denver Boarders DTS outreach to Mexico and Belize. Aside from all the amazing work that was done.

• Belize 2016 video, 8min.

• Mayan Jungle ride Belize 2016, 6min.

• Belize Aggressor III, 8min. Liveaboard highlights from 9-16 July 2016.