Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#516132 - 07/21/16 11:57 AM Today's Belize News: July 21, 2016
Marty Offline

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

New Caye Caulker Village Council officially sworn in
After winning the recent Caye Caulker Village Council elections in a landslide, elected Chairperson Enelda Rosado and six Councilors were officially sworn in as the new Caye Caulker Village Council for 2016-2018. The official ceremony took place at 1PM on Friday, July 15th at the Caye Caulker Community Centre. The new governing body, headed by Chairperson Rosado comprises of Councilors Seleny Villanueva, Miguel Angel Neal, Hans Badillo, Elizabeth Usher, Myrna Vanina Sosa and Juan Gabriel Cantun. As the Council starts its three-year-term, Rosado spoke to The San Pedro Sun about their plans for ‘La Isla Carinosa.” “We have a lot of issues on the island, however, one of our priorities is which we hope to accomplished at the end of our term is to have a polyclinic properly functioning on the island with medical attention 24/7,” said Rosado. “This will assist us with any emergency situation on the island very effectively.” Rosado also spoke about other major issues affecting Caye Caulker, including the improper disposal of garbage, as well as the waste from sewage systems. “We really want to implement a system to properly collect the waste and get it off the island. With all these diseases all over the place, keeping the island clean is also a top priority,” said Rosado.

International scammer charged in gruesome crime
Belizeans are in still in shock over the gruesome Friday, July 15th discovery of the head of a well know pastor in the pan of a pickup truck in the Belmopan area. The incident occurred at around 8:45PM, when Belmopan Police conducted a search of a black Ford F150 pickup truck belonging to 46-year-old nationalized Belizean, William Mason. The search led to the discovery of a 9-millimeter pistol with five live rounds, a magazine containing four .9mm live rounds, a pump action shot gun and a pouch with eight live cartridges of ammunition and the severed head of 47-year-old Pastor Llewellyn Lucas of the Stann Creek District. As if the discovery was not alarming enough, the events that followed has revealed a number of criminal acts involving Mason. The Belize Police Department is now investigating this matter, which only seems to be grow more controversial each day.

Ambergris Today

Belize On Top of Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards Survey
Every year for their World’s Best Awards survey, Travel + Leisure Magazine asks readers to weigh in on travel experiences around the globe — to share their opinions on the top hotels, resorts, cities, islands, cruise lines, spas, airlines, and more. Belize once again shines in the 2016 awards with top destinations like Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker and Placencia showing a strong presence in the top lists. The top five resort hotels in Central America include Matachica Resort & Spa in Belize, where it says T +L readers could see the barrier reef from their thatched-roof casitas or the private hot tub outside their villas. Mata Chica Resort tied at the #3 spot while the Turtle Inn, Placencia made it to the #5 spot.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

H. E. Benjamin Ho, the Ambassador of the Republic of China (Taiwan) Presents a Grant of US$ 5.0 million to Government of Belize
On July 21, 2016 in Belmopan, His Excellency Benjamin Ho, Ambassador of the Republic of China (Taiwan) presented a cheque in the sum of Five Million US Dollars to the Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister and Minister of Finance and Economic Development of Belize. The cheque is the grant from the Republic of China (Taiwan) to Belize for the year 2016 under the Bilateral Cooperation Program between the two countries. The purpose of the Grant is to help the overall development of Belize, and particular in the development of its transportation infrastructure. The Government of Belize will use the funds to cover a part of the expenditures on key infrastructure projects, including the Belize City Southside Poverty Alleviation Project Phase II, the extension of the Southern Highway – Golden Stream, Jalacte to the Guatemalan Border in the Toledo District, and for the Santa Elena/San Ignacio Downtown Bypass Road Project.

A message from Pastor Lucas' family
Please be informed that we will be hosting a candle light vigil for Pastor Llewellyn Lucas on Monday July 25th 2016 comnencing at 6pm. We will assemble at the Maybeline Gordon Park at 6pm then proceed as a group around the entire Ring Road. Please share widely to all family and friends about our vigil for our beloved Pastor Llewellyn. I will announce date and time of Funeral services later today.

Newly discovered panel at Xunantunich
A week ago we told you that a second section of the panel at Xunantunich was discovered on the right side of Structure A9 here are some recent images that tour guide Eddy Estrada took of it now that it has been all cleaned up.

Cayo Art Collection 2016
The SISE House of Culture is kicking off their 2016 Cayo Art Collection exhibit this Friday, July 22nd, at 6:00pm. Come see all the amazing art from Cayo artists. They always get a stunning collection. "Consider this your personal invitation to the San Ignacio & Santa Elena House of Culture (NICH)"

Kids at work!
This group is working on a mural at the Department of Youth Services in Belize City. Looking good!

Beltraide Dare To Be Here-Job Creation Fair
This initiative is for new innovative entrepreneurs who are interested in growing their business. The program will ONLY consider start-up businesses ideas. Kindly note that the grant application process is highly competitive. A panel will select the most suitable grantee. Maximum grant amount $5000. Note prizes available for 2nd and 3rd place business idea.

IMayorista Corporativo FAM TRIP
The Belize Hotel Association, in collaboration with Tropic Air was pleased to host a FAM trip to San Pedro, Belize for IMayorista Corporativo and three other travel agents from June 24-27, 2016. IMayorista Corporativa is a prominent Wholesaler, that is based in Merida, Mexico and they are actively promoting Belize as one of their new top destinations. Their highest season for sales are the summer months, which is the low season for tourism in Belize, resulting in maximum benefits for both the Mexican traveler, and our local market. Tropic Air provided complimentary round trip flights from Merida to the Phillip Goldson International Airp ort and then on to San Pedro for the four agents. During the days they were in San Pedro, Tessie Tonaco, Marketing Director of the BHA took them on various site visits to our member hotels, as well as a snorkel trip to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley, and they also enjoyed a wonderful fun filled evening at the San Pedro Lobsterfest.

Splashers
Hi guys sorry I didn't have time to update the website or make a painting for this week. So I decided to paint something I did before. This is a painting from 2008! I think it would be a great painting for this week. Let me know who is coming. I don't have the Facebook app on my phone, so the best way to sign up is via email or text.

VISIT BELTRAIDE BOOTH AT SUGAR FEST 2016 ON SATURDAY JULY 23rd!
2016 to be held this Saturday, 23rd July at the BSI Field in Orange Walk Town. The booth will feature an array of displays and product sampling courtesy of clients of the Small Business Development Centre Belize, (SBDCBelize), a unit of Beltraide. These include body scrub products from K & K Naturals, pepper sauces from Papanero and Tambranero, Mayan crafts from Epie Maya Tour and honey products from Perla’s Honey among many others.

Beltraide participates in Taipei Food Show
EXPORTBelize, a unit of Beltraide, participated in the 2016 Taipei International Food Show from June 22 – 25, 2016 at the Taipei Nangang Exhibition Center in Taipei, Taiwan. In addition to EXPORTBelize, two other Belizean companies also participated in the food show – L&R Liquors and Caribbean Premier Products. Some of the products on display included pepper sauces, beer, rum and natural juices. The Taipei Food Show featured buyers from over 100 countries passing through the show and having opportunities to sample food & beverages from over 36 national pavilions. Exhibitions included fresh fruits & vegetables, preserved fruits and vegetables, poultry, seafood, meat & processed meats, edible oils, dairy products, organic and vegetarian foods, frozen prepared foods, canned food, baked food, biscuits, wine & liquor, coffee & tea, juice & soft drinks, condiments & confectionary and ice cream.

Minister of Foreign Affairs Wilfred Elrington in Nicaragua for the Commemoration of the 37th Anniversary of the Sandinista Revolution
Minister of Foreign Affairs Wilfred Elrington is in Managua, Nicaragua this week as a specially invited guest of President Daniel Ortega on the occasion of the commemoration the 37th anniversary of the Sandinista Revolution. This event is noteworthy given that in 1980, Nicaragua took on a significant role in the world when the Sandinista National Liberation Front defeated the dictatorship of General Somoza. As a result, the Sandinista Revolution led to profound and lasting changes in Nicaragua, among them were the reduction of illiteracy and greater participation of women, youth and the rural population in Nicaraguan society. While in Nicaragua, Minister Elrington will have an opportunity to explore opportunities to further Belize-Nicaragua cooperation in the area of tertiary level education, social development and cultural aspects.

Letter: Concern over CARICOM's shortsightedness involving Guatemala's aggression
Dear Sir: During the 37th Regular Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), the regional grouping demonstrated a most disturbing example of digressive group-think by embracing the government of Belize’s ill-conceived intent to appease Guatemala and certain factions within the international donor community by endorsing to take the matter of the unfounded claim to Belize’s sovereign territory to the ICJ. To compound matters, their decision was taken amid the ever-increasing and unprovoked Guatemalan aggression towards Belize, as is evidenced by the unilateral annexation of Belize’s side of the Sarstoon River. It is for these reasons, the Belize Progressive Party (BPP) expresses grave concern involving CARICOM’s short-sightedness on this matter of national and regional concern. The blind-faith acceptance of such a misguided approach, which places Belize’s territory at serious risk and ultimately questions the essence of Belize’s national identity and nation-state status, is both entirely disconcerting and unacceptable. The notion that arranging a protocol with Guatemala to define Belize’s access to the Sarstoon River is entirely and utterly inconceivable, given that prior to Guatemala’s increased aggression, no such arrangement was in place.

PRESS RELEASE From Frank Mena
Yesterday I informed my cabinet colleagues that over one year ago, in the last bye election season, I received a campaign contribution from a businessman I knew as Danny Mason. In the interest of full disclosure, I would like to inform the public at large that about a year and a half ago I met Mr. Danny Mason through Dr. Henry Canton when he visited Dangriga expressing interest in the Commerce Bight Port. I was later taken to his residence prior to the bye-election by Minister John Saldivar. Mr. Danny Mason, who was presented to me as a businessman, contributed $10,000 to my campaign. At no time did I promise to offer any special services or access by virtue of my position to Mr. Mason. The horrendous scenes unveiled over the last few days have been deeply troubling to me, my family and to all Belizeans. To that end, I am publicly returning all of the $10,000 contribution I received for my campaign from the man who I believed to be businessman Mr. Danny Mason. Please know that when I accepted this campaign contribution, I had no reason to believe that Mr. Mason was who he is now known to be. I'm placing the $10,000 into an Escrow account to be used for some kind of charitable purpose. In closing, let me offer my sincerest condolences to the family of Pastor Lu. May his soul Rest in Peace.

Rotaract Fill A Backpack 2016
The Rotaract Club of Benque is having their 3rd annual Fill A Backpack school supply drive. If you can help them out, call them at 621-5969. "Donations are welcome towards our 3rd Annual Fill-a-Backpack project. It will be distributed for San Jose Succotz and Benque Viejo primary school students. Send us a message, or contact any Rotaractor from our club."

Belmopan Mural Unveiling
Independence Park in Belmopan has a new mural. Thanks, Oceana Belize and Belize Coalition to Save our Natural Heritage! "The Belize Coalition to Save our Natural Heritage and Oceana are proud to highlight an ongoing, national mural project depicting Belize’s Caribbean Sea in every major municipality... These murals were done by artists and volunteers from each community and supported by various businesses and individuals. The colorful displays showcase our natural wealth and should remind everyone of the importance of remaining vigilant in the struggle to love and protect these living factories that provide us with clean air, clean water, food and a sense of self."

Backpack Drive for Primary Students
Do something positive at all times. Stann Creek Youth Council is always grateful to do good. Still in need of exercise book and pencils if anyone would like to help let me know it would be greatly appreciated.

HE AIN'T HEAVY, HE'S MY BROTHER!
It has been one of the most troubling times for me as a Belizean in the diaspora to have been observing the touching moments of suffering among the Belizean people at home as black on black crime rocks the Belizean nation, and heinous crimes of brutality are being inflicted upon its citizens by forces almost strange and bizarre to the Belizean way of life. Belizeans were once, but still are a very peaceful and kind race of humanity that people all over the world continues to talk about in a positive light despite these horrors, trials, an tribulations that we as a people continue to face. We have to win this fight to secure our humanity that God Most High has blessed us with as a humble and kind people to the world.

14th National Tourism Awards
Would you want to be part or nominate an outstanding Tourism Partner? Email us at tourismawards@travelbelize.org

Stakeholders Preparadness for European Market
Aug 13, The Ramada Belize City Princess. Mark your Calendars!

Group from San Pedro High School traveled to Harbor College in Los Angeles
People to People Ties - Today we would like to highlight the experiences of a few Belizeans' travel experiences in the U.S. Recently a group from San Pedro High School traveled to Harbor College in Los Angeles to work on a theatrical production called, "OUR WORLD," which deals with environmental and social issues. While in the U.S. the group worked with Mr. Larry and Mrs. Debbie Heimgartner and Mr. Juan Baez, director of the Arts and theatre from Los Angeles Harbor College. Their principal Ms. Maria C. Flota said the trip was “life changing”.

"The Energy of Nature Vs. The Nature of Energy Conference"
Find out more about "The Energy of Nature Vs. The Nature of Energy Conference" Part II and register to attend for free! It is happening on July 27th at the Radisson Fort George Hotel from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm.

Channel 7

The Man Mason Kidnapped Gives Police His Statement
Tonight, the William Danny Mason saga continues to unfold – and there are at least two major new revelations – one, about a video of the kidnapping of Pastor Llewellyn Lucas and others, and second, about the story of another UDP elected official who got a donation from Mason – and now wants to give it back! But first we'll tell you about Lloyd Theissen. He's the Mennonite businessman who ran away to Canada after William Danny Mason kidnapped him and his wife – and that's the unofficial report police keep saying they got weeks ago. Well, now that Mason is in jail, Theissen returned to the country yesterday and made an official compliant to police - it is the first he has made.

Pastor Lu's Kidnapping Captured On Surveillance Camera
And while police are looking at additional charges, the ones they have laid already got a major boost with surveillance video of the entire kidnapping of Mennonite David Dodd, Pastor Llewellyn Lucas, and another man, which happened on last week Friday afternoon. As we have reported, William "Danny" Mason, is known to have an elaborate surveillance system set up at his mansion on Intelco Hill in Belmopan. But, it appears that this system he set up to secure his property, has become a part of his undoing. Police think that he either forgot to turn off those cameras, or he forgot to destroy the surveillance evidence of the crime caught on tape. While searching through Mason's property for evidence, the cops came upon the surveillance footage of that day, and those who've seen it say that it gives a play-by-play look the kidnapping of the 3 victims by Mason and his 4 fellow accused, Ashton Vanegas, Keron Fernandez, Terrence Fernandez, and Ernest Castillo. It also confirms the details of the kidnapping that one of the victims gave police.

PM Says Papa Got 10k From Mason, Papa Gives It Back
And while police are building their case, Prime Minister Dean Barrow was doing his own investigation yesterday when he had his Cabinet meeting. The PM had to ask his ministers who all visited the Mason Manor, and who all received donations. This morning after appearing on LOVE FM, he disclosed that Dangriga Representative and Minister of State Frank Pawpa Mena did receive campaign financing. This revelation came as part of a wider conversation about who all had been to the house on the hill, cap in hand:… Jules Vasquez: "Sir we know that at least two of your cabinet have conceded that they socialize at the home of this gentleman Mr. Mason. We know that at least 3 others we received reports senior ranking ministers were regulars at the house. Are you concerned about this?" Rt. Hon. Dean Barrow - Prime Minister: "Of course I'm concerned because naturally there are certain conclusions, wrong conclusions I think being drawn in consequence. But as long as the acquaintanceship ministers had with him did not result in any kind of impropriety engaged in or sanctioned by ministers; we will just have to take the licks that the fact that optically it is not an ideal situation brings."

Saldivar, the Mason Intermediary to Cabinet?
And the media did have a chance to pursue some points with Police Minister John Saldivar today. Earlier we showed you how his Cabinet colleague, Frank "Pawpa" Mena, has publicly declared that it was Saldivar who introduced him to Mason. And last night, we told you how Deputy Prime Minister Patrick Faber said the same thing via text message. So today, when we met him at another event, we asked him about the political blowback following the revelations that he was one of the high-ranking UDP ministers who Mason had befriended. Here's how that conversation went: Mike Rudon - Channel 5 News: "We have been able to find out that Mr. Mason's business was extortion. That for many years he was in the business of extortion using information received against people to get money from them. Let me ask you point blank were you ever a victim of such an extortion attempt by him or anybody that you know of the cabinet ministers who we have discovered use to go to his home?"

Cops Explain Delay In Searching The Mason House
And we also asked both Acting Police Commissioner Russell Blackett and Police Minister John Saldivar why exactly did police take so long to make a move and arrest William Mason. As viewers are aware, Blackett said in Monday's police press conference that the cops had been looking at Mason for at least 2 months based on other informal reports and suspicions of kidnapping, and un-reported allegations of extortion. But, if the police were as muscular and on point as they were when they blocked the media form the Belmopan and Belize City courthouses, Mason would have already been in police custody, and Pastor Lue might not have lost his life. So, what do the police say about that? That's what we asked both the minister and the acting top cop:

PUP Calls For Saldivar's Removal, Independent Investigator
And the PUP says that both Saldivar and Blackett's police department have to go. The party held a press conference today to say that Saldivar is compromised by his past connection to Mason, and that also comprises the police department. PUP Leader John Briceno explained why the cops cannot investigate their own boss:… Hon. John Briceno - Leader of Opposition: "Minister Saldivar confessed that Mr. Mason had helped to sponsor his very expensive Belmopan Bandits semi-pro football team but insisted quote "He has never contributed to my political campaign." End of quote. We won't argue with national security Minister Saldivar with financing his semi-pro team isn't part and parcel of financing his political campaign but in September of last year both the police and Minister Saldivar had an opportunity to bring in Mr. Mason for questioning and possible arrest and expulsion from Belize and they didn't. If they had we submit Pastor Lucas would probably be alive today."

Man Accused Of Molesting Infant Boy
31 year-old Jose Rivas, better known as "Rojo" is at the Belize Central Prison after he was taken to court for sexual assault on a 2 year-old boy. Rivas is being accused of fondling the toddler. According to police the heinous act happened on Monday when Rivas allegedly touched the child in a sexual way and used a finger to penetrate his buttocks. Police investigate the report and they charged Rivas with sexual assault. He was arraigned today before Chief Magistrate Ann Marie Smith, who remanded him into custody until October 20. Police must provide him with disclosure on that date, and on November 29, the court will hold his preliminary inquiry.

GSU Commander Flowers Under Serious Scrutiny
Last night, we told you about the reports we received that GSU Commander Mark Flowers was implicated in a carnal knowledge complaint. Well, his police bosses confirmed to us today that indeed a report has been made. As we told you last night, the mother of a 14 year-old girl has made a report to the Domestic Violence Unit that Flowers had sexual relations with her under-aged daughter earlier this year. Acting Police Commissioner Russell Blackett told us that indeed they have received that report, and they are first checking to see if it has not been made due to malice. He assured us that if the investigators are convinced that the crime happened, Flowers will face criminal charges:

Capital Cops Catch Income Tax Heist Crew With Cash
It shocked Belmopan residents on Friday July 15th when three armed men stormed into the Income Tax office at 5:50, held everyone at gunpoint, tied up the staffers and a policeman, took the cop's gun, and then left with thirty thousand dollars from the cash drawer. Well, last night the thieves are the ones who were stunned when Belmopan police moved in on them at the San Ignacio hideout. With help from the community and surveillance video – which captured the getaway vehicle, police were able to nab the four suspects along with weapons and cash last night. The officer commanding in Belmopan told us more:… Sr. Supt. Howell Gillett - OC, Belmopan Police: "The suspects left along enough personal particulars and I won't get into any further details in relation to that. That we were able know who these people were and we have all suspects in custody; 4 people total 3 men and 1 woman. We believe the woman was the driver of the vehicle at the time and the 3 men were the persons who robbed the income tax department and held up the police and the staff members. So far we been in operation last week in the San Ignacio area we were able to confiscate one rental, two motorcycles, a large cash of Belizean currency, one 9 millimetre pistol, the 38 revolver that was stolen from the police the officer at the time."

3900 Tonnes Bad Molasses Cost Half Mil, BSCFA Says BSI Must Eat The Loss
For a week now we've been reporting on the molasses that went bad in storage tanks at the Tower Hill factory in Orange Walk. We've been covering the environmental side of the story – because disposal of the large volume of molasses poses environmental hazards. But tonight we finally know how much molasses went bad – and we've learned it from the Belize Sugar Cane Farmers Association – to whom it means the loss of major earnings. Today the Association issued a one thousand word press release saying that 3,900 tons of molasses was affected, equivalent to a loss in value of four hundred and thirty two thousand, six hundred and sixty six dollars ($432,666).

PUP Says GOB Antidote To Crime Is Tried and Failed
On Monday, national security minister John Saldivar unveiled a new plan to fight gang related crime in Belize. It got overshadowed by the "Pastor Lu" beheading, but on any other day that plan would have raised many eyebrows. And that's because the Saldivar strategy is to put even more boots on the ground, and the give the much-criticized GSU the green light to go even harder after gang targets. PUP Deputy Leader Cordel Hyde criticized the new approach today:… Hon. Cordel Hype - PUP Deputy Leader: "If you listen to the minister of national security on Monday it's the same old solutions to a very serious problem. We're talking about hundreds of lives that has been lost on the Southside and their solution is more boots on the ground. They boast that they've added 850 additional police officers since 2012. Half of those have been deployed to Belize City. All the equipment in the world they boast of in terms of getting for the police. So the police is better equipped but yet still this problem persists." "It's not that the persons on Southside are some psychotic beings as the prime minister seems to think."

Man Charged For City Shooting
Belize City resident Clifford Anderson was shot 12 days ago on the Pen Road basketball court – and tonight his alleged shooter has been charged. He is 24 year old Luis Kerr, a labourer of #4374 Fabers Road. Kerr was read charges for attempted murder, dangerous harm and use of deadly means of harm with a firearm upon 26 year old Clifford Anderson. No bail could be granted to Kerr who denied bail and remanded into custody at the Belize Central Prison until October 20, 2016. Anderson was hit in the back, his lower back and the gunshot caused damages to his internal organs.

Tomb Uncovered At Xunantunich
Last month we showed you the panel found at Xunantunich and the rich story inscribed on it. Well, there have been more remarkable discoveries at Xunantunich including another panel. It is a lot to condense in one story so we have split this feature series into 3 parts. The first part is about the discovery of a tomb with the skeletal remains of a Maya ruler. The archaeologists say the tomb probably dates back to the Late Classic Period but more tests need to be done to confirm the time period. Courtney Weatherburne and Codie Noralez traveled west yesterday to see this sacred burial site. Dr. Awe told us that they plan on conserving the tomb, making a replica of the skeletal remains and later installing a Plexiglas so tourists can get to see the tomb from above. Tune in tomorrow for part 2, as Courtney Weatherburne delves into the interesting story of the second panel, how it is linked to the first that was found and what it likely says about the Maya ruler.

Bahamas Choir Makes A Magical Sound
A singing and dancing troupe from the Bahamas was in Belize earlier today for a spectacular one hour performance – which was about the nearest thing you’ll get to a Broadway performance in Belize City. The group is called the Bahama National Youth Choir. Every year they go on a very unique musical tour. They hop onboard a cruise ship and grace the stage in whatever country the cruise docks for the day. Belize happened to be on the line up for the first time this year. So, they dropped in at the Bliss Centre in Belize City as part of their third leg of this annual tour. After their performance in Belize they hopped on the cruise again which is now enroute to Cozumel Mexico, for the final leg of their annual tour.

Maya Case At CCJ
Yesterday via teleconference, the Maya Leaders Alliance and the Maya Communities named as claimants in the Maya Land Rights case went back before the judges of the Caribbean Court of Justice. They were there along with the legal representative of the Government to give an update to the court on how far along the Government is in implementing a system which officially recognizes and protects communal land rights. The Land Rights Commission, set up by the Government of Belize, has only just started preliminary consultations with the 39 Maya communities, and they're a months away from arriving at a suitable system. So, the Government attorney communicated that to the CCJ, and when they were given their opportunity to address the CCJ judges, the Maya Leaders made sure to mention their grievances with the Government related to the Jalacte and Santa Cruz. As viewers are aware, the Maya from Jalacte have complained that the Government ejected Maya farmers to widen the Jalacte Road and to set up the Agricultural Ministry's Outreach Station. Of course, the Santa Cruz villagers remain upset about the fact that Rupert Myles squatted on the research for the UxBenka Maya Site. After the hearing, we spoke with MLA representative Cristina Coc about the issues raised:

More Human Traffic At Crooked Tree Junction
Tonight, 8 Hondurans, all believed to have been smuggled into the country as part of a human trafficking ring, are at the Belize Prison. That's after they've been charged by the Immigration Department for illegal entry. They are Vicente Romero Pinedo, Juan Francisco Valeria Romero, Angel Alvarado Carcamo, Samuel Perez Garcia, Silvinio Rodriguez Martinez, Luis Pineda Cruz, Reina Isabel Aguilar Garcia and Alba Luz Aguila Portillo, all of whom claim to be farmers living in the village of Crooked Tree. They were busted by Eastern Division Rural Police, and today the Commander told us how the cops learnt that they were here: ACP Edward Broaster - OC, Eastern Division Rural: "Yesterday our officers stationed at Crooked Tree intercepted 9 Honduran nationals; 3 female and 6 male who were in Belize illegally waiting to be transported further north and they were brought in and handed over to the immigration authorities."

Thanks to Taiwan
The Taiwanese have given the government of Belize another gift. This one is 5 million US dollars to assist with infrastructure programs, namely the Belize City Southside Poverty Alleviation Project Phase II, the extension of the Southern Highway – Golden Stream, Jalacte to the Guatemalan Border in the Toledo District, and for the Santa Elena/San Ignacio Downtown Bypass Road Project. The cheque was handed over by ambassador Benjamin Ho to Prime Minister Dean Barrow yesterday in Belmopan.

Sedi Salutes The Sandinistas
In other diplomatic news, Minister of Foreign Affairs Wilfred Elrington is in Managua, Nicaragua this week building on Central American friendships. A press release says he is a special guest of President Daniel Ortega to commemorate the 37th anniversary of the Sandinista Revolution. A press release says that while in Nicaragua, Elrington will explore opportunities to further Belize-Nicaragua cooperation in the areas of tertiary level education and social development. Nicaragua currently holds the presidency of SICA.

No More Hard Day's Nights For Hattieville Cops
The cops at the Hattieville Police Station have a new barracks to make use of after a hard day's work. It was officially inaugurated today by the top police brass, and we asked the Police Minister about those other police formations around the country which continue to suffer in rundown barrack buildings which are in dire need of repairs. He told us that those other stations need only wait a little longer for repairs: The National Security Ministry spent just under 90 thousand dollars for the Hattieville Barracks.

#516133 - 07/21/16 11:57 AM Re: Today's Belize News: July 21, 2016 [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Channel 5

Surveillance Footage Captures Abduction of Men from Intelco Hill
There are more details tonight of the kidnapping and gruesome murder of Pastor Llewellyn Lucas coming from the Minister of National Security, the Police top brass as well as the [...]

Saldivar Says He wasn’t Extorted by William Mason
This morning, we continued to grill Minister John Saldivar on his involvement with William Mason, who allegedly contributed up to fifty thousand dollars to the Belmopan Bandits team sometime in [...]

Did Patrick Faber Throw John Saldivar Under the Bus over Mason’s Introduction?
So the Police knew about Mason’s past since last year. And the conman slash extortionist slash kidnapper has been under active investigation for a violent kidnapping at gunpoint of Mennonite [...]

Minister of Police Attempts to Clarify Delay in Arresting Mason for Kidnapping
Deputy Prime Minister Faber was able to enjoy drinks at Mason’s home on June seventh because police were investigating a serious allegation of kidnapping against him, but never picked him [...]

PM Barrow Says Mason Debacle Doesn’t Look Good for U.D.P.
The Barrow administration is faced with an embarrassing situation, following the murder of Pastor Llewellyn Lucas.  In the aftermath of the ghastly homicide last Friday, it has come to light [...]

Speculation of Gapi Vega’s Involvement in Introducing Mason to Friesens Debunked
Back to the Prime Minister…According to the P.M., the issue of Mason’s connection to members of cabinet came up during their weekly meeting on Tuesday.  As we have reported, Lucas [...]

PM Confirms that Police were Shadowing William Mason AKA Ted Ouelette
On Monday, at a press conference held by the Ministry of National Security, it was revealed that police had been pursuing Mason for several weeks, following a report of an [...]

P.U.P. Demands Removal of John Saldivar and GSU Commander from Respective Posts
The People’s United Party came out swinging today, strongly criticizing the Barrow administration, as well as the Belize Police Department in a press conference at Independence Hall.  The P.U.P. has [...]

Was Mason Protected by Law Enforcement?
So, did Mason act with impunity because he may have been protected by higher-ups in law enforcement?  Here’s the prime minister’s response to that question.   Prime Minister Dean Barrow [...]

PM Questions the Issuance of Mason’s Birth Certificate
Throughout the unfolding ordeal, several questions have been asked about Mason’s Belizean citizenship.  Despite the many assumed names: William Ferguson, Ted Ouellet, Raj Ouellet, Danny Ouellet and Ramesh….Mason was in [...]

John Briceño Says Police and Immigration Departments Goofed Up
The issue of Mason’s licenses to lawfully have in his possession an arsenal of weapons was also brought up today.  Opposition Leader John Briceno questioned the acquisition of those gun [...]

Was Russell Blackett a Regular at Casa de Danny Mason?
Perhaps the explanation of the Police reticence in grabbing Mason for two months seems incredible because high-ranking Police officers seemed quite comfortable and cozy on that very same property. By [...]

Blackett Explains Police Handling of High-risk Prisoners
And finally on our coverage of Mason for tonight, we asked about the obvious presence of elite Police units during the attempted arraignment of the five men on Monday in [...]

GSU Commander Replaced Following Investigation for Alleged Sexual Assault
GSU Commander Mark Flowers has been pictured grinning from ear to ear, cozily hugging William Mason, but depending on the outcome of an investigation currently underway, he won’t be smiling [...]

P.U.P. on B.T.L. Arbitration Award
The B.T.L. arbitration award, as well as the economic impact of having to dole out hundreds of millions of dollars to compensate for the nationalization of the utility company, remains [...]

John Briceño Breaks Down B.T.L.’s Acquisition Cost
Briceño, during the press conference, also broke down the arbitration award into annual payments, calculating the figure retroactively to the 2009 nationalization of the utility company.   John Briceño, P.U.P. [...]

Alleged Culprits in Income Tax Heist are Detained
There was a robbery last Friday evening at the Income Tax Department in Belmopan. Sometime around five-thirty p.m., as employees were wrapping up for the day, they were held up [...]

Rural Eastern Division Police Crack Human Smuggling Ring
The Rural Eastern Division police were able to crack what seems to be another smuggling ring in the Belize District. On Tuesday afternoon around three o’clock, officers stationed at Crooked [...]

Fourteen-foot Croc Killed in May Pen Following Drowning of Minor
On Sunday, a fourteen-foot crocodile attacked and killed eight year old Adrianna Moody as she swam with cousins and an aunt in the river that traverses the village of May [...]

A New Police Barracks is Inaugurated in Hattieville
Today, the rank and file of the Belize Police Department gathered in Hattieville for the opening of a project two and a half years in the making. It’s a new [...]

Summer Camp at YWCA
Secondary and primary school students are on holidays and away from the classrooms. But there is a way to keep them occupied in ongoing programs. The YWCA is hosting various [...]

LOVE FM

Frank Mena says he received 10K from William Mason For His Campaign
So …. Prime Minister Barrow says his Cabinet ministers are not associated with the untoward dealings of William Mason and has admitted that Ministers Saldivar and Mena were recipients of financial aid in sports and politics. A few minutes ago, Minister Frank Pawpa Mena sent out a release speaking of the ten thousand dollars he […]

Crocodile that killed eight year old girl captured and killed
The 14-foot crocodile believed to have killed the 8-year-old girl was killed. ACP Edward Broaster explained how it happened. “The body of the crocodile was discovered yesterday at about 6:45pm in the river in the Maypen village area.” Reporter: Can you confirm how the crocodile died? Edward Broaster: “Gunshot wounds.” Reporter: How have you all […]

GSU Commander Accused Of Carnal Knowledge
The command of the Gang Suppression Unit is on leave but while he is away there is an allegation that has been made involving him and a 13-year-old child whom he had unlawful sexual intercourse. Deputy Commissioner Russell Blackett spoke of the allegation. “I must tell you that yes I was called by the commander […]

Belmopan Income Tax Robbers Apprehended
Last Friday, July 15, the employees at the Belmopan Income Tax office were held up at gun point by three robbers. An estimated thirty thousand dollars plus valuables belonging to the employees were taken. The police officer on duty was tied up and his point thirty eight revolver taken. The Belmopan Police has reported this […]

PUP Nationalization Of BTL Was Political Mileage
The BTL Arbitration Award was in the headlines for a number of days, emphasizing on the almost half a billion dollars that would have to be paid out. In the PUP press brief conducted today, the issue was once again brought up. This time, the PUP questioned the Prime Minister on his secret meeting with […]

PUP Says Quality Of Life Is Deteriorating
For weeks we have been hearing the educated and the politicians and the activists speak of the dent in the economy that is anticipated due to the high cost of the arbitration award. Today, the PUP painted a dismal picture of Belize’s economic future. “Since 2009 the Belizean people have not seen their quality of […]

Barrow Speaks About Mason And Alleged Relationship With Cabinet Members
Prime Minister Dean Barrow was the guest on The Morning Show today. While two hours of his undivided attention would seem sufficient to cover a wide range of issues, it wasn’t nearly enough to discuss four of the top burning national issues, being, the BTL Arbitration Award, the murder of Pastor Llewellyn Lucas, Crime and […]

PUP Says John Saldivar received finance from Mason
The relationship between National Security Minister, John Saldivar and the accused murderer, William Mason is one of the highlights in this case and with that has come speculations that there may be a cover up of some sorts. PUP Party Leader, John Briceno spoke of the financial contributions received by Saldivar. “Our reliable information says […]

Leader of the Opposition Says Recent Killing “Should Jolt Everyone”
Leader of the Opposition led a PUP press conference this afternoon at Independence Hall in Belize City. One of the issues addressed was the recent killing of Pastor Llewellyn Lucas. Briceno says that this recent killing should jolt everyone to the point where justice is demanded. “We asked you here today because a Belizean; a […]

PM Barrow Expresses Outrage About Pastor Lucas’ Homicide
Earlier this year there was the discovery of a headless torso found in the river in the Belmopan area. It was a gruesome scene as the body was already in a state of decomposition. The discovery of a human head, however, is unprecedented in Belize and with that Prime Minister Dean Barrow expressed outrage at […]

PlusTV

Mason had friends in high places
At Monday’s press conference held by the Minister of National Security, the media asked a barrage of questions regarding Mason’s apparent ties to numerous high ranking government officials and his ties specifically to the Minister of National Security whose football club Mason sponsored financially...

Pastor Lue’s accused murderers arraigned
The nation of Belize is still reeling from the cruel and gruesome murder of Pastor Llewelyn Lucas. Lucas’ head was found in the back of a truck belonging to Canadian William Mason; the rest of his body found burned on a ranch also belonging to Mason. The five men charged in the murder of Pastor Lle...

Bulgarians back in court for confiscation challenge
28 year old Jeorji Petrov, and 25 year old Halid Yuksel Aptula have already pleaded guilty to multiple counts of theft and are serving a concurrent 12-month prison sentence. In May of this year, the Bulgarian nationals were caught stealing from the Belize Bank ATM through a fraudulent scheme; now ...

San Pedro Columbia Village council demands works done in community
Oscar Requena, the Area Representative of Toledo West, along with the San Pedro Colombia village council, held a small protest at the Ministry of Works compound in Punta Gorda. He says the community feels that it is being neglected while Government equipment is being used for private initiatives. O...

Man stabbed and killed in San Ignacio; suspect on the run
There is another murder to report on tonight, which also happened in the Cayo District. According to police, on Monday July 18th , police were called out to Floyd Moro Street, in the Santiago Juan Layout of San Ignacio Town. On the dirt road, lying face up in a pool of blood, was the body of 33 y...

Bomb threat at Cayo store
There was a bomb threat in the San Ignacio area on Monday. ABC store was evacuated and searched following the 911 call to police. Superintendent Richard Rosado told us more. Supt. Richard Rosado, Superintendent of Police “On Monday the 18th of July 2016 a caller called the police via 911 and stated...

Why was Lucas’ head saved and where was it going?
One of the burning questions in the Llewelyn Lucas murder case that has not been answered as yet is the reason for the head being in the truck, since according to police, Lucas was killed on the ranch, his head removed, and the rest of his body burned. The head found in the truck was cleaned up, ac...

Mentally challenged P.G. man admits manslaughter in stepfather’s death
25 year old David Ortiz of Punta Gorda Town has pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of manslaughter in the death of his stepfather, 69 year old David Benguche in March of 2014. Ortiz, found to be mentally challenged, was today handed a sentence of 8 years in prison by Supreme Court Justice Dennis Hano...

Was Pastor Lucas reaching out for help before his death?
In the case of the murder of Pastor Llewelyn Lucas, it appears that he was trying to reach out for help in regards to some trouble he was in. We have come to that conclusion since earlier on Friday, the same day his head was found in William Mason’s truck, Lucas had made an early morning stop at Pl...

DETAILS OF MASON ARRANGEMENT
Details continue to surface in what may be considered the most heinous crime in Belize’s history, that of the decapitation of Pastor Llewellyn Lucas by several accomplices including a man with a dubious past, who currently goes by the name William Mason. The other accused are Ernest Castillo, Ashton...

Western Union in Orange Walk robbed
There was a robbery in Orange Walk on Monday afternoon at a Western Union located at # 47 Belize Corozal Road. Police say that a 25-year-old cashier reported that on 18th July, at 12:15 p.m. he was working at Western Union attending to customers when a male person of Hispanic descent , wearing a str...

BTV says Guatemalan Fishermen continue unabated
The Belize Territorial Volunteers took a trip to the Sarstoon River today and says that the Guatemalan fisher folks continue to fish in Belizean waters unabated. BTV leader Will Maheai spoke to his camera crew earlier today after they discovered a gill net in Belizean waters. Will Maheai,Belize Terr...

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Go Joven Belize holds first youth forum
Go Joven Belize, a non-government organization based in Belmopan, held its first youth forum today at the Center for Employment Training conference room in San Ignacio Town. Go Belize, as it is also called, was established in 2011 and is focused on youth leadership development […]

GOB: William Mason alleged victims did not file police reports
Police could not act on various reports in which William Mason, murder accused, was a suspect because his victims did not file police reports, ensuring that there was nothing on record suggesting him as a threat to public safety. Prime Minister Dean Barrow told […]

Police announce new evidence against William Mason as P.M. deals with “optics” of associations
Prime Minister Right Honorable Dean Barrow warned against “jumping to wrong conclusions” based on the reports that several of his area representatives and ministers were being wined and dined by now accused murderer and con artist William Mason. Meanwhile, police say that a videotape purporting […]

San Pedro CIB nab 764 grams at airstrip
A little after midday today law enforcers and detectives retrieved from the San Pedro Town Tropic Air Cargo a small brown box containing a yellow plastic bag containing two wrapped transparent packages containing suspected cannabis. Officers also discovered a black plastic bag containing two […]

PUP: Opportunities missed to stop William Mason
The People’s United Party (PUP) says Government and the Police Department have some serious explanations to make concerning its associations with murder accused William Mason. Party Leader John Briceño pointed fingers at Minister of National Security John Saldivar; the top echelon of the Police […]

Slight showers expected today
The general situation for today is for relatively moist and unstable conditions to prevail over the sea. The 24-hour forecast is for sunny skies with cloudy spells during the daytime and at times in the night. A few showers and isolated thunderstorms will occur […]

Blogs

16 pics of Caye Caulker and San Pedro Lobster Festival
Lobster season in Belize is 8 months long and always starts off with countrywide celebrations honoring the fishermen and the environmental reasons for the season. I managed to attend two lobster festivals again this year. I had a great time at each one as always and both were a little different than the time before. I also caught the fair a few times with a few different people and included my 2 favorite pics from that as a bonus collage below. I will start with the last lobster fest first. I’m thankful for Ecologic Divers owner and good friend Kendall’s invitation to join mutual friends Aimee and Kenny on the Impromptu – Ecologic Cats. I was ready for a relaxing social sail and excited to see who else was on the boat. Other than 2 Karen’s I had no idea who else was coming to the party. It turned out to be a great mix of a few more people I knew and many I did not. I have always liked Caye Caulker Lobsterfest because it is daytime and it’s smaller in size. Caye Caulker is also such a cute colorful island and is always fun to visit especially by Catamaran.

Belize Eco-Kids Summer Camp – Day 2
We awoke early, when the morning was still cool and fresh and the sunlight had barely broken out from behind the trees. The campers crowded around the campfire and rubbed sleep out of their eyes as the Camp Director, Levi Baldwin, told us what we were doing for the morning. Armed with backpacks filled with water and long pants tucked into thick boots, we walked for ten minutes to the end of the road, where a Chaa Creek vehicle picked us up. Bumping around, we were jostled to the real starting point of the camp birdwatching hike, where we met our two guides. They quickly proved themselves extremely knowledgeable and we almost immediately spotted a large yellow-breasted thrush. As we continued through the cool, dense jungle, we saw loads of birds and their nests, including a large swarm of spiraling vultures, woodpeckers, parrots and thrushes.

Belizean Resorts among the Best Resort Hotels in Central America
Belizean tourism partners seem to be at forefront of 2016 award season, as more chic resorts have received international top honors. This time its Matachica Resort and Turtle Inn who have been listed in the top five The Best Resort Hotels in Central America by Travel+Leisure. This honor is bestowed upon establishments based on the service, cuisine, location, the rooms and facilities, and overall value offered to guests. It’s the remarkable reviews from each and every guest that ultimately decides the honorees for this title. While both the first and second spots where secured by resorts in Costa Rica – Nayara Springs and Nayara Hotel, Spa, & Gardens were listed as first and second Best Resort Hotels in Central America, respectively – Belize did not fall behind as we captured the third and fifth spots. Hurray!

The Island Dream Served with a Straw
Sun in your face, sea mist on your skin, the gentle tropical breeze refreshing your body. You either take time to relax during a sunset dinner cruise, enjoy an adventurous snorkeling cruise or party hard during an all-you-can-drink booze cruise. It’s your Island Dream on board the YOLO!!! I have to say, that the YOLO catamaran boat tours are one of the best on Ambergris Caye. Take the ‘Island Dream’ cocktail that I ‘literally’ keep dreaming of every day. It’s a darn good cocktail made with fresh watermelon infused with Belizean rum. It packs a good PUNCH!! It’s fresh, fresh, fresh..one of my favorite on the island. The YOLO crew cannot see your glass run empty; nope that does not happen on board. It’s the Island Dream served with a Straw and then some. You Only Live Once (YOLO)! But who says you can go island cruising only one time? I have been on cruise aboard the YOLO of Island Dream Tours on various occasions and needless to say all my experiences have been memorable. From spending an entire day in the sun, swimming with the sharks and rays at Shark Ray Alley, exploring the canyons at the Hol Chan Marine Reserve and exploring Caye Caulker on their snorkel cruise to marveling at the beauty of a Belizean sunset cruising along at the speed of YOLO next to the barrier reef. A true Island Dream!

ACTUN TUNICHIL MUKNAL– ATM – MY BELIZE JUNGLE CAVING ADVENTURE!
The ATM cave is located 7 miles off the Western Highway, in the village of Teakettle. The scenery from Belize City to the village, is quite striking. The terrain changes as you make your way along the winding highway; from flat lands, to valleys and then to mountains of rich vegetation. Along the way, you can even get a glimpse of the thousands of years old – Sleeping Giant. The village itself provides much history and was part of a thriving Mayan Civilization. These stories and more are shared by our knowledgeable guide, Brainard. The road is rocky, however the air conditioning inside the van, made it bearable. After about 7 miles and 45 minutes we arrived at our disembark point. The ATM Cave tells the wretched tale of a civilization, plagued with drought, and other unfavorable conditions – becoming more and more desperate in their attempts to appease the Gods – and bring forth rain and good conditions for farming. Seen as a gateway to the underworld, the caves instilled fear in the souls of the community members. For eons of years, entering these caves was strictly prohibited. Not only was it prohibited, but also the residents feared curses upon the family lines of anyone who would dare to enter.

International Sourcesizz

Saharan Dust Slows Down Storm Activity In Hurricane Season’s Second Month
Even before the 2016 Atlantic Hurricane Season started, the storms were forming. First there was Alex in January, then Bonnie in late May, then Colin and Danielle in June. Since Danielle’s June 20 formation, there has been calm in the Atlantic. And meteorologist with AccuWeather, Ed Vallee says Sahara Dust has something to do with that. An unusually strong high-pressure system in the northeastern Atlantic Ocean is kicking up plumes of Saharan dust. Tropical systems need sea surface temperatures of at least 80 degrees, as well as moisture in the atmosphere to feed. So the dry Saharan dust is starving potential systems. “The water temperatures are plenty warm, but the dry, dusty air is really inhibiting development,” he told the Palm Beach Post. Vallee added that heavy wind shear, another tropical cyclone killer, is also occurring with the Saharan dust.

NOAA Outlook for Central America July 21 - 27, 2016
Over the last 7 days, rainfall was below average for most areas of Central America. Many locales only received less than 25mm of rain for the week. These included many parts of central Guatemala, central Honduras, and western Nicaragua. For some, those totals equate to less than a quarter of what they would normally receive for the period. Areas that did receive heavier rain (>150-200mm according to TRMM) include southern Guatemala and southeastern Nicaragua. While this was abnormally wet for parts of southern Guatemala, It was still slightly less than average for Nicaragua. Repeated weeks of poor rainfall performance are enlarging longer-term moisture deficits, both in magnitude and in coverage. Many local areas are now observing less than 50% of average rainfall over the last 30 days.

Facing long odds, HU alum Brandon Jones is ready for his first Olympics
Unlike most of the competition he'll face in Rio de Janeiro, Brandon Jones is new to all this. Not only will this be his first taste of the Olympics, he's also not used to dealing with the press. "This is the most publicity I've received in my career," Jones said following a Tuesday morning workout at Hampton University. "I've gotten some articles in previous years in Belize, but U.S.-wise, I've never received much publicity. "It's surreal. It's pretty awesome." Belize, nestled along the eastern coast of Central America with a population of about 370,000, is the country Jones will represent in Brazil. His event is the 200 meters, where he'll go against (among others) LaShawn Merritt, Justin Gatlin and Usain Bolt.

Dig in! Culinary blade fragments a prized find on Schneider’s archaeological dig
At the same site where Maya people were digging in to their daily meals, Rachel Schneider was eagerly digging in to the dirt two millennium later. The place? Chan Chich, a site tucked away in the jungles of northwest Belize. The purpose? Continuing investigations of an important ancient Maya city. Schneider didn’t mind the hot, humid weather, especially when the gruelling excavation work produced a unique find that would give her a glimpse into the lives of the Maya people who inhabited the site between 1000 B.C. and A.D. 850. Schneider uncovered two small blade fragments made of obsidian. This was a “big deal,” she said, because along with traces of ash from a fire, the artifacts are good evidence that the Maya people were processing food on the site and using the blades to cut the food.

A Chocolate Lover Works to Support Cacao Farmers
It wouldn’t be my idea of an idyllic summer vacation. But Joy and Jared Thaler just returned from Belize where they learned to harvest cacao beans with machetes. “You have to be careful not to nick certain parts of the tree,” Ms. Thaler explained as we sat at 2beans, an espresso bar and chocolate shop on Park Avenue between East 40th and East 41st streets, just south of Grand Central Terminal. Their trip wasn’t purely recreational, however. Ms. Thaler is founder of CocoaCompassion, a company that supports smallholder cacao farmers and is trying to foster conditions that will guarantee them a living wage. The company recently came out with its first chocolate bar from cacao beans grown in Belize. It’s 70% cacao with Peruvian pink sea salt and costs $8.

IOC AWARDS 2018-2020 BROADCAST RIGHTS IN THE CARIBBEAN
IMC has acquired the broadcast rights on all media platforms in all languages in the following 22 territories: Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Commonwealth of the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Cooperative Republic of Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, St Kitts & Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad & Tobago, and Turks and Caicos. IMC will partner with broadcasters across the region and leverage all of Digicel’s platforms to deliver live coverage and highlights of the Olympic Games via free-to-air and cable television, as well as all mobile, streaming and other digital media platforms. In addition, the IOC and IMC will work together on distribution and content creation for the IOC’s soon-to-be-launched Olympic Channel. IOC President Thomas Bach said: “We are pleased that we will be working again in the future with IMC in the Caribbean. This partnership will ensure fantastic coverage, including on free-to-air television, of the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018 and the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020. We are also excited to be working with IMC on the future development and distribution of the Olympic Channel in the region.”

Banks abandon the Caribbean, local bitcoin exchange experiences 33% increase in users every month since February
Smaller, poorer countries are being abandoned by big banks in an exodus commonly referred to as “de-risking” or “de-banking.” In the Caribbean, where many small countries with poorer populations reside close to each other, the problem is getting so bad that local businesses regularly have a hard time receiving remittances and paying suppliers outside of their own country, even when their trading partner is just the next island over. The growing trend in the Caribbean is the topic of a recent report by the IMF, and the subject of a talk by IMF director Christine Lagarde on Monday, at the US Federal Reserve. According to Madame Lagarde, at least five Caribbean countries were ‘de-risked’ as of this May, with 16 or more international banks withdrawing their correspondent banking relationships. This land-locks the money on some of these island nations, cutting residents and businesses off from foreign trade. Belize is most affected by the trend, but most of the Caribbean is deeply affected.

Videos

• WCOPA 2016 -BELIZE -PARADE OF NATIONS, 9min. The 20th Annual World Championships of Performing Arts 2016 (WCOPA) will present the WORLDSTARS “Parade of Nations”

• Carnival Magic 2016 7 Day Western Caribbean (Part 3) Belize - Barrier Reef / Starfish Island, 7min. Western Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Magic. This Cruise departed from Port Canaveral on June 18th 2016. Join as we Snorkel on a Barrier Reef and relax on Starfish Island!!

• Mexico-Belize, 9min. Travesia por parte de Mexico y Belize durante enero/febrero 2016.

• Trip to Caye Caulker, Belize, 3.5min.

• Belize CRE 2016 Scuba diving, 11min.

• Bahamas National Youth Choir, 1min. They arrived on Carnival Cruise Line and brought smiles to a packed house at Bliss Center for Performing Arts... Thank you Bahamas National Youth Choir! (You may recognize the song at the end of this video)

• Belize Trip 2016, 8min.

• Land Of Make Belize, 5min. Spent 10 days in Belize with my big bro Matt scuba diving in the Belize Barrier Reef, the Blue Hole, swimming with sharks and manta rays, bicycling around the whole island, finding ALL the bars with swings, exploring the Mayan Ruins of Tikal!

• Zip Lining in Belize, 11min.

• Dance Rehearsal 360 San Pedro Belize, 3.5min.

• Conservation in Belize: Our Shared Natural Heritage, 12min. A playful take on current projects and collaborations taking place in Belize to help keep the tourism industry there sustainable and eco-friendly. Presented by WWF in coordination with Peninsula International Academy and Sea to Shore Alliance.

• Filming Belize, 8min.

• DOLPHINS LOCAL DIVE SAN PEDRO BELIZE, 1.5min. JULY 19, 2016 GREAT DAY OF DIVING.

• Landing in San Pedro, Belize, 2min.

• Sharks and Dolphins Local Dive San Pedro Belize, 3min. Dive 2 with Belize Pro Dive Center. Yes..Dolphins and plenty of Nurse Sharks, great viz, awesome dive! July 19, 2016

Links
    Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
    Daily News
    Daily Weather

Classified Ads
    BelizeNews.com
    San Pedro Sun
    Ambergris Today
    SP Town Council
    Channel 7
    Channel 5
    Amandala
    Love FM
    The Reporter
    Caye Caulker
    Chronicles

PLUS TV
    TV Newscasts
    Radio Stations

Click for our
    Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
    Event Calendar
    Specials & Events
    Things to Do
    SanPedroScoop
    iTravel Belize
    Paradise Theater

Blogs
    San Pedro Scoop!
    Tia Chocolate
    Tacogirl
    My Beautiful Belize
    I-Travel Belize
    Belize Adventure
    Belize Hub
    Romantic Travel
    Bound for Belize
    Conch Creative
    As The Coconuts Drop
    More Blogs...
    Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
    Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
    White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
    Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
    We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
    Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
    Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
    Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
    Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
    Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
    More Links
    Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
    December
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30 31
    Who's Online
    1 registered (1 invisible), 43 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Stats
    18,676 Registered Members
    44 Forums
    64,079 Topics
    462,376 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
    BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
    BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
    BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
    and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.