Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
OP Offline
L
I am a licensed landscape architect, contractor and horticulturist in the States seeking information on the business climate in Belize. Specifically I'd like to know about the demand for for someone with my skills.

I welcome any feedback.

Thanks,

Eric

If you do not mind working hard for very small wages compared to the US you will be fine. Highly skilled Belizeans make 2 to 3 hundred US per week and you will be competing with them

L
OP Offline
L
Dabunk,

Thank you and I appreciate your feedback! I certainly do not mind working hard and even for relatively small wages. But I think you misunderstand what a landscape architect is.

I am educated and very experienced in the design and engineering of land development projects from large scale municipal capital improvements to large resort developments and right down to your back yard.

I am a highly skilled architect and developer. I certainly do make a respectable income in the states but would be willing to take the pay cut.

Knowing that, would you feel the same?

Eric

Hi .... I understand well what your profession represents.
Have you visited Belize? Your skills are wonderful but perhaps beyond our level of development and as such will probably fall short of your expectations for demand and level of compensation.

L
OP Offline
L
Diane,

Thank you for your honest commentary. I greatly appreciate it. Do you live full time in Belize? If so, are you a native Belizian or did you find yourself there by some other path?

As far as my work, I can perform it from anywhere. I live near New Orleans but perform services for individuals and companies all over the states and beyond. A decent Internet connection is very helpful but not terribly necessary to me.

As far as lifestyle. I live pretty simply. I have lived in many places and traveled to more. I keep things simple; a small home, an office, a garden, a grill, cold beer and my wife by my side is all I want or need.

Would it make any difference if I spoke my native language American English as well as Spanish and some Italian, German and French?

I have not visited Belize though I am friends with many who have. I do plan on making a trip soon. Please let me know your suggestions as to places to visit and experience.

Thanks,

eric

Again I understand your field as well. But unless you visit and live here for at least 6 months time you will not have a clue about what we are talking about. If you can do most of your business over the net that would work out better for you. As far as Belize is concerned there is not much need at all so whatever work you might find here would be not enough to keep yourself in rice and beans. Just my .02

Eric, check your PM's.

R
R
Eric, Diane is right on. In addition you need local knowledge on what works and what doesn't. Plants that do well on the Island; the problems (bugs & disease) of growing them; the government rules for handling chemicals; and the conditions.

For instance I had a very good person working for us who was quite educated in this field and she told me how much water was required to keep our landscaping looking good. She gave it to me in inches of water for a certain time. Well I did the math and that amount of water was just absurd and wasn't going to happen through the dry (tourist) season and still meet our other needs. We had a meeting and I explained it all. We worked out something that could be handled but only barely at certain times.

There was a nearby Island that was a golf course. I think it was the only one in Belize. Anyway it only lasted a few years and in talking to people one of the problems was getting enough of water to keep the golf course green.

You need to come down here for a while and get a feel for what would be involved and if you could make it work. In my humble opinion you have a tough row to hoe. (pun intended) Beside that, how do you even know if you would like living here full time without a lengthy visit?

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks all! Very helpful!

Eric

C
C
An Architect here in Belize can actually make a very good living, depending on how you network yourself. However, becoming a member of the "Architects Association" is difficult. I believe you'd first need to become a citizen. Though they may possibly be accepting permanent residence status.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.