Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#516295 - 07/29/16 11:55 AM Today's Belize News: July 29, 2016
Marty Offline

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Caye Notes: Fundraisers
adio-based fundraiser being held for Robert Perez: People on La Isla Bonita may remember when in September 2015 8 year-old, Katerin Michelle Perez, suffered from third degree burns. Through the kind efforts of the community, Perez was able to undergo treatment at Shriner’s Burn Hospital for Children in Boston, USA. Unfortunately, the family has been hit with more bad news, as her father Robert Perez was recently diagnosed with kidney cancer. On Friday, July 29th, a radio-based fundraiser will begin at 7:30AM via Reef Radio 92.3 FM to help raise funds to assist his medical needs.

Major discovery at Xunantunich tells an unknown story
Nestled within the jungle of the Cayo District lies Xunantunich (Stone Woman), one of Belize’s most popular Maya archaeological sites. Not only does it attract hundreds of curious visitors each day, but it also draws archaeologists from around the world who hope to unearth new findings. During a recent excavation, the first Maya burial tomb to be discovered at Xunantunich was located some five to eight metres deep, and according to archaeologists, it is one of the largest in Belize. According to the Department of Archaeology (DOA), the discovery sheds new light into the history of the important ceremonial centre, which became one of the most powerful in the region. The discovery at Xunantunich located just across the Mopan River in San Jose Succotz and a mere kilometre away from the Guatemalan border, was made by excavators within its department and from Northern Arizona University USA. The exploration just recently began, and the team already have already discovered two important Stelae and a tomb.

Interoffice Football Tournament intensifies
Five more weeks remain in the 6-a-side Interoffice Football Tournament, and all 26 registered teams continue their efforts to earn a spot to play in the upcoming finals. Held at the Honorable Louis Sylvester Sporting Complex (Saca Chispas), the games see football fanatics cheering on their favorite team. The next set of matches is scheduled from Thursday, July 28th through Sunday, July 31st at Saca Chispas starting at 7PM. The community is encouraged to show support of their favorite team. The following are the current standings of the different teams competing in the tournament:

San Pedro Lions and Leo’s Install New Board of Directors and Members
Lion Abel Guerrero led the invocation, and San Pedro Lions Queen Solani Graniel issued the welcome address. President Fatima Graniel also accepted a $1000US check for the recent fire victims from David and Debbie Reynaud on behalf of the Lutcher Gramercy Lions Club in Louisiana USA. It was then time to install the new San Pedro Lions Board of Directors and Belize Lions Zone 59 Chairman Raul Castillo had the honor of doing so. Each new member was called upon to pledge their commitment to the club, with Nigel Belisle accepting the position of President. Other positions filled were Vice President – Brittney O’Daniel, 2nd Vice President – Everette Anderson, Treasurer – Abel Guerrero, Secretary – Pamela Zetina, Membership – Fatima Graniel, Lion Tamer – Laura Arnold, 1st Year Director – Rosario Tun, 2nd Year Director – Flora Ancona, Tail Twister – Angel Nuñez and Bar Manager – Nigel Belisle. Incoming President Nigel Belisle then took to the podium to accept the position and address the audience with his vision for the future of Lionism in San Pedro.

Contestants for the International Costa Maya have arrived!
Miss Mexico was first to arrive, and she is thrilled to be in San Pedro. “I really look forward for a great show, meeting lots of people and experience the local culture. I will definitely do all my best during the pageant,” Said Solis. Next to arrive were Miss Honduras and Miss Guatemala accompanied by the lovely and none other Reina de La Costa Maya 2015/2016 Gabriela Vanessa Salazar Valle of Honduras. All the girls shared their excitement to be representing their countries in such a fun international pageant. Miss Guatemala feels very confident that with her experience she can charm everyone, while Miss Honduras is committed to follow the footsteps of her compatriot. Shortly after, Miss Belize arrived, happily embracing everyone awaiting her. Her excitement was infectious. “I am so excited. I am very grateful for the opportunity to represent Belize,” Argueta said. After a short photo session, the delegates were whisked away to Ramon’s Village Resort, where they will be staying while in San Pedro.

Ambergris Today

Shyne Barrow Wants to Be Belize’s Next Prime Minister, Working on New Album
Former Bad Boy Entertainment rapper Shyne Barrow, son of Belize Prime Minister Dean Barrow, has been living in Belize since his release from prison in the US in October 2009. He’s kept a low profile internationally until last May when he performed via video satellite at the Bad Boy Family Reunion show in New York. It seems that Shyne not only has aspirations of becoming a famous rapper, but now wants to become the next Prime Minister of Belize. This he revealed in an interview with Bossip.com: “I’m going to be in Parliament in Belize very soon. I’m going to be leading my nation and contributing to my nation with all the capacity that I have,” he said. “My father is the right honorable prime minister, and he’s retiring and I’m succeeding him and my uncle. So I can continue in the legacy of my father and serve the people.”

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Free online SME courses available for entrepreneurs
El BID, a través de su Academia ConnectAmericas, pone a tu disposición una amplia oferta de cursos en línea gratuitos y webinars sobre comercio exterior, estrategia empresarial y marketing digital para ayudar a las empresas y emprendedores de América Latina y el Caribe a mejorar la gestión de sus negocios. Esta oferta formativa es totalmente gratuita para los usuarios de ConnectAmericas.com. Esta plataforma virtual fue creada por el BID con el apoyo de Google, Visa, DHL y Alibaba, para ayudar a las PYMEs a vencer las barreras de la internacionalización.

Costa Maya Festival 2016: Day 1Lots of great photos! Also, The Program is out!

50 Kids on the Police Department "Get to Know your Country " program tour parts of ‪Belize

Power interruption 10:00am to 2:00pm, Friday July 29, Belize District
Maxboro, Sandhill, Crooked Tree, Double Run, Salt Creek, Grace Bank, Gardenia, Biscayne, Rhaburn Ridge, and all villages along Old Northern Highway including Santana, St. Anne’s, Boston, Corozalito & Maskall. BEL to replace insulators on the power distribution system in the area.

Belizean violinist Courtney GillettRepresenting us so well as a member of the YOA Orchestra of the Americas on its European tour!

Paradise Theater: Playing this weekend!
A Hologram for the King, Daylight's End, The Nice Guys, Angry Birds.

Departure Fee Increase
The Border Management Agency hereby informs all tour guides, tourist crossing any border point that the NEW departure tax will be $40BZ per person. This is effective August 1. Departure Processing Fee: $30.00 PACT Fee: $7.50 Border Development Fee: $2.50 EMail: bordermanagementagency@yahoo. Phone: 823-3039

Reina de la Costa Maya parade!

National Climate Change Youth Video Competition
The National Climate Change Office (NCCO) wishes to inform the general public that due to the low number of applications and ineligibility of submission, the NCCO has terminated the National Climate Change Youth Video Competition, 2016. The NCCO hopes to continue this annual event in an effort to actively engage youths in Climate Change activities within the country. The NCCO envisions that the number of submissions for the subsequent years, in which the annual event will take place, will increase. The NCCO also takes this opportunity to thank all applicants for the time and effort invested in creating videos that depicted their positive climate actions in Belize.

San Pedro Town Council opens 9am today
We would like to inform the general public that our offices will be opening at 9:00 a.m. due to a scheduled power interruption by Belize Electricity Limited. We apologize for any inconveniences caused.

Costa Maya Delegates Have All Arrived
It's been a busy day. We started the day meeting Miss Panama, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and El Salvador at Maya Island Air. From there everyone headed to Ramon's Village to Check In and then it was time to board a boat with Seaquarious Adventures for a Snuba Adventure. Let me just say, I can't edit fast enough!!! Next it is off to Finn & Martinis for a parade over to Fido's for sashing. (Please Mother Nature, don't rain just now. Thank you for listening.)

Moments aboard YOLO with Island Dream Tours
A quick edit of some moments from last evening. Thanks to Kevin, Heather and all the crew for a wonderful evening. Now, it's almost time to meet the rest of the delegates.

Belizean violinist is part of the Youth Orchestra of the Americas 2016 Nordic-Baltic tour
As the Youth Orchestra of the Americas (YOA) makes its way across Europe, there is a young Belizean on board for the first time. Courtney Gillett is a violinist with the 80-member orchestra, which includes musicians from 25 countries in the Americas. The current tour includes Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Sweden, Denmark and Germany. “YOA is the best, it tells you that you can make a change, and you can do it through music,” said Gillett in a YouTube video recorded before the start of the tour. Gillett’s achievement in joining YOA is no small feat. More than 1,300 musicians auditioned, meaning Gillett is one of only six percent who made the cut. “Being a part of the YOA tour has given me a great sense of fulfillment,” Gillett said while in Sweden. “And I get to represent Belize, a country which doesn’t usually come up on the international radar for many events.”

BCC & CWU sign first Collective Agreement
“Our Members at the Belize City Council, like us, have long looked forward to this date. We did not get all we wanted for our Members but on balance I believe we have a good first Collective Agreement on which we can build in future rounds of negotiations,” commented Christian Workers Union (CWU) President Audrey Matura-Shepherd this afternoon. The CWU President was speaking of the first-ever Collective Agreement between the Belize City Council (BCC) and CWU. The agreement is set for signing Friday at 2:00pm at the Belize City Labour Department Conference Room. The process leading up to the signing goes all the way back to 1993. All these years later, some 194 CWU Members employed at the BCC will enjoy a range of benefits, key among them better security of tenure. Henceforth, BCC Employees need not fear losing their jobs when there is a change in administration at City Hall.

"Cultural Explosion" in Corozal
Corozal's hallmark is our East Indian heritage and we are all proud of it and wish to preserve it. Corozal Organization of East Indian Cultural Heritage (COEICH) in conjunction with COLCHA, NICH and NCIC will be sponsoring "Cultural Explosion" featuring Indian dances and Star attraction by winner of several awards and International Indian dancer Brian Mangaroo. It is all happening at the Corozal Central Park this Saturday July 30th, 2016 beginning at 7:00 p.m. This is a family affair for everyone in Corozal. A night of enjoyable cultural presentations. A night to remember. Let us all support COEICH.

Emergency power interruption 5:00am to 9:00am, Friday, July 29: entire San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye
BEL to conduct urgent repairs to hotspots on the transmission system that supplies the island.

Music & Art in Nature Camp
The Belize Audubon Society had their Music and Art in Nature Camp at the Blue Hole and Guanacaste parks, and the kid's loved it.  Thanks, BAS,  PACT, and Giselle! "Children from the Buffer Communities of St. Herman's Blue Hole National Park and Guanacaste National Park connect with Nature through Music and Art. They participate in Scavenger Hunts, nature walks, hikes, painting, and singing.  We thank Music Instructor Ms. Giselle E. O'Brien for her fun session!!  This activity was made possible through the support of Protected Areas Conservation Trust!

Pot of Proteus Vol 1
The first issue of Pot of Proteus, the new Belizean magazine, is online. It's aim is to highlight fresh, Belizean talent. It's worth checking out. https://issuu.com/michael-kalefuller/docs/pop . "It's HERE! Our first Issue "Under 30!" Click the link below to discover some of the fresh, young entrepreneurs and business ventures Belize is offering today. Exquisite design, inspirational stories, fashion and hidden talents worth discovering!"

Intermagia Returning to Cayo
The Rotary Club of San Ignacio is bringing back Intermagia, the magic tour that thrilled everyone last year. There will be 3 performances over the October 15th weekend. "ANNOUNCING THE RETURN OF THE INTERMAGIA MAGIC SHOW TO SAN IGNACIO! The Rotary Club of San Ignacio will again present the Magic Show .....'INTERMAGIA' .....which was brought to San Ignacio....last year in October at the Octavia Waight Center... There are eight new International Magicians for the show this year! Coming from as far away as Chili for this around the world tour, some of these entertainers have performed in Las Vegas. It is an truly entertaining and thrilling show! There will be three (3) Family Shows with Matinees on Saturday and Sunday October 15th and 16th. It's a full two hours of laughter and amazingly fun family entertainment! "

Channel 7

Will Flowers/Mason Tandem Take On Hon. Saldivar
Superintendent of Police Mark Flowers may have called William "Danny" Mason a con man who he was investigating under cover - but multiple reports say that Mason and Flowers have linked up behind bars at the Hattieville Prison to compare notes. There are reports, which say that if Flowers gets Supreme Court bail - as he is expected to tomorrow - he will be making certain disclosures coming from Danny Mason - specifically pointing to Mason's relationship with John Saldivar. We'll be at court tomorrow to see what comes out of that, but the Prime Minister's Wife Kim Barrow isn't waiting until then to challenge a narrative put out there by Danny Mason! According to reports, Mason is saying that his company, "i-Cloud" got the contract to perform works at the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, which is a project spearheaded by the office of the Special Envoy.

Broke Bank Benque: Mount Carmel Folds, Members Will Lose Deposits
The Mount Carmel Credit Union in Benque Viejo Town has been in financial trouble for more than 15 years now - and last night members were told that their Credit Union would be closing down. Why? Well, Mount Carmel is bankrupt, and the credit union is about to lose its headquarters to the DFC, to which it owes 454 thousand dollars -and cannot pay. And the bottom line for the hundreds of members? It's really bad news….they will lose all their savings just like that (poof) gone! The few dozen members who showed up to a meeting with the Credit Union League were given the bad news last night. Today in Benque Viejo, long time member David Ruiz told us it was like a sudden death:

The Storm After The Settlement
6 days ago, we told you about the new quarrel between the Ashcroft Alliance and the Government of Belize over BTL. They're arguing over US dollars, and they can't agree about how exactly the Arbitration Award should be paid. The Government paid the first half of the nearly half a billion dollar judgment debt, with 40% in US dollars and 60% in Belize dollars. The Ashcroft Alliance is complaining that this wasn't what was agreed to - they want the whole thing in US dollars. So, the Alliance immediately filed suit at the Caribbean Court of Justice asking the court to interpret the decision once and for all, and to make binding orders that the Government will have to abide by.

Central Bank Warns Of Dire Position With Reserves
And this just in, we've received a copy of that letter which the Denys Barrow says Central Bank Governor Glenford Ysaguirre wrote to Joseph Waight, the Financial Secretary. He does warn that Belize's economy cannot handle the strain of diverting anymore of the Central Bank's US Currency Reserves. He notes in his 3 page letter that quote, "…It is necessary to advise all concerned that it would be destructive for the economy of Belize if the Central Bank were to even attempt to facilitate any such requests to facilitate for an additional amount of foreign currency, given the currently level of official foreign reserves and other external demands facing the bank…the Central Bank…must…exercise careful management of the international reserves by balancing the foreign exchange needs of the Government against those of the domestic banking system, and the wider private sector. " End Quote.

Man Dies From Stab Wounds On Day He Should've been Release From Hospital
A 30 year old resident of Victoria Street, Alfonso Castillo was stabbed last Thursday and despite having an initially positive prognosis, he died this morning while undergoing treatment at the KHMH. Police had arrested Raheem Marsden for the stabbing but his charge will be upgraded to murder. Still medics have yet to determine what actually caused Castillo's death in the first place because, as it turns out, he was scheduled to be released from the hospital today. Emanuel Pech visited the family this morning and has this report. They say death comes like thief in the night and this morning the family of 30 year old Alfonso Castillo learnt that painful truth. It all started with a stabbing last week here inside an ally a couple blocks away from his home on Victoria Street.

Teenaged Accident Victim Succumbs
Yesterday we told you about 16 year old Tyrese Carcamo, who was knocked down from his bicycle on Tuesday evening. Well has died last night, around 6:35. Carcamo was riding his bicycle between miles 8 and 9 on the George Price Highway, heading in the direction of Belize City, when he was knocked down by a taxi driver travelling in the same direction. The driver, EDWARD CASTELLANOS said that Carcamo suddenly cut in front of him and though he attempted to swerve to avoid hitting him, - he crashed into the teenager. Carcamo sustained severe head injuries as his head smashed against the front windshield of the vehicle. Police have served CASTELLANOS with a notice of intended prosecution but are still waiting on forensics test to confirm whether or not he was driving with an alcohol concentration above the prescribed limit.

Keron Caught A Spray Of Bullets
27 year old Keron Moss was greeted at his doorsteps by a spray of bullets. According to reports a couple of unwelcomed visitors knocked on the door of Moss's house on Farmers site area in Hattieville Village around 9:40 last night. Moss opened the door, but as he did so one of the men shot at him. Fortunately Moss was only shot to the leg. He is currently receiving treatment at the Karl Huesner Memorial Hospital but nothing appears to be life threatening. Still police and the family members of Moss are still trying to figure out just what motivated such a daring move which could have easily claimed another young life. William Moss, Father of Shooting Victim: "We were watching the American convention, my wife and I was in bed, when I thought a heard a noise at the door so my son came out and said 'what's going on with you guys?' and after that we heard gun shots. When I ran out here I didn't see anyone there. I had on my veranda light and everything but when I came out here I didn't see anyone, so I don't know if it was Tom, Dick, or Harry. When I came out, the door was wide open and I saw him on the floor in the parlor, he said 'dad I just got shot'. When I ran out here and my wife came behind me I said 'what? who shot you?' he said 'I don't know dad I juts got shot'."

Deliveryman Jacked In Ladyville
This afternoon in Ladyville a Santiago Castillo salesman was jacked in Ladyville. At 12:20 Mark Lisbey was making sales in Ladyville where he collected 2,743 dollars. When he stepped out of the store, he saw a man who had been following him from the previous stop. Lisbey turned away but the man then pulled out a 12 inch long ice pick and, a next man grabbed him by the neck. Lisbey fell to the ground and they took away his black bag which had the day's proceeds. The men drove off with 3,843 dollars in cash and 4808 in cheques.

Taken From USA, Brought To Belize
Thirty-one year old Luvia Castelain, was deported from the US in August of last year, and is in jail tonight, serving a 6 months sentence. She pled guilty to failure to comply with the deportee requirement specified by the Commissioner of Police, which is that she reports to the Queen Street Policed Station every Friday for 1 year. Magistrate Anderson was going to give her a fine but when CASTELAIN said that she was only born in Belize but never lived here and has to be with her children who are in the US, Magistrate Emerita Anderson told her that she has to make sure that she stays in Belize. Castelain had not reported to the Queen Street Police Station from January 8, 2016 to July 22, 2016, a period of 29 weeks. She said she was in Mexico during that time.

Peace Between Citco and CWU
Things got harsh between The Christian Workers Union and the Belize City Council back in early 2014 when the security guards were put under private management. But, today the CWU announced that it will sign its first Collective Agreement with the City Council tomorrow. We'll show you that breakthrough agreement in tomorrow night's news.

Courtney Gillett Takes It To The World
We've featured the talented violinist Courtney Gillett many times on this newscast, and tonight she's sharing her talents with the world as Gillett becomes the first Belizean to join the YOA Orchestra of the Americas not once, but twice. She is The YOA is going on their 2016 Nordic-Baltic Tour, which will take them to countries like Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Sweden, Denmark and Germany. Gillett is known in Belize as a violin teacher at the Pallotti School of Music, She has a Diploma in Music Performance from the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music in London and a minor in Music from Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio. She's also an active member of the of the National Youth Orchestra and Choir of Belize. She becomes the first Belizean to make the cut for 2 tours. She was first drafted back in 2013.

BCVI At 35
The Belize Council for the Visually Impaired held its annual general meeting this morning and used the opportunity to celebrate 35 years of existence. BCVI has grown by leaps and bounds since it was founded in the early 80's and today they provide several essential services to the visually impaired, including everything from free eye tests to counseling and life training for the blind. And for the sighted, it's also a great place to get affordable eye glasses. Today we learned more about the role they play in the society as a non-profit organization that advocates for the visually impaired. Carla Musa, Executive Director, BCVI: "Today we were releasing our 2015 annual report and so in addition to that, we're celebrating our 35 years of service to the people of Belize. We were very excited to share not only what we did last year but our various programs and how everything connects and why this service is so important."

The Plan For Cayo
Last night, we showed you the Ministry of Tourism's Launch of the Corozal Tourism Destination Development Plan. It's part of an IDB funded called the Sustainable Tourism Project II (2), in which the Ministry is trying to boost traffic to emerging destinations like Corozal, Caye Caulker, and Toledo, which have attractions, but aren't as well-known as the blue chip tourism destinations like San Pedro, Placencia, and the Cayo District. Well, the Ministry says that though Cayo's Rainforest Lodges and rivers may be a mainstay for visitors, the district's lesser known attractions need more attention. That's why today, they launched the Destination Development Plan for that District. It focuses on the sites such as Chiquibul, Caracol, and the Mountain Pine Ridge area, and today our News Team went to San Ignacio to find out what they intend to do improve these areas. Here's what the experts told us today:

Off to The Olympics
The Belize National Olympic Committee has announced that Belize is sending three athletes and four officials to represent Belize in two disciplines at the Rio 2016 Olympics. Renick James will compete in the Judo - 90 kilogram while Katy Sealy will compete in the 100m Hurdles and Brandon Jones in the 200meters. Accompanying the athletes are Judo and Athletics delegates Franz Menzies and Deon Sutherland along with Athletics coach Denis Costello. Team Belize will travel to Rio on Monday, August 1st, 2016. Renick competes on August 10th while Katy and Brandon compete on the 16th. Brandon Jones will be the flag bearer for Belize at the Games of the XXXI Olympiad.

Dara Ride's For Hunger
If you watch the news with any regularity, you know grassroots philanthropist Joel Dara Robinson. He runs a feeding program for needy primary school students all across Belize City. He usually depends on generous donations, but to get additional funding, he's come up with his annual Bob Marley and Lucky Dube Reggae Tribute Concerts, and his Ride For Hunger. That ride takes place Sunday for the 5th year now, and spokesperson Kwame Scott stopped by to tell us why they want you to come out and ride with them: The proceeds of the 10 dollar registration fee will go toward funding Dara's Feeding Program.

Channel 5

G.O.B. and Ashcroft Group Back in Court Arguing B.T.L. Settlement
Attorneys for the Government of Belize and Dean Boyce, B.T.L. Employees Trust and Dunkeld International appeared before the Caribbean Court of Justice via teleconference this morning, for a case management [...]

Denys Barrow Says the Conflict is in the Split
According to Senior Counsel Denys Barrow, the objective of the settlement agreement was to bring finality to the question of recompense.  He says that while the Ashcroft Group may have [...]

G.O.B. Says Regardless of CCJ Decision It Cannot Pay
Government has indicated to the CCJ that irrespective of the outcome, it is unable to make the payment in U.S. dollars.  The Central Bank of Belize, in a four-page letter [...]

Central Bank Will Not Provide U.S. to G.O.B.
Government has put forward that it cannot meet a seventy million U.S. dollar payment should the CCJ rule in favor of the previous owners of B.T.L.   While Central Bank has [...]

Central Bank Says Payment Would Destroy Belize’s Economy
An official letter which was filed by the Government in the CCJ proceeding comes as close as we’ve ever seen to G.O.B. acknowledging that the sky is falling. It’s dated [...]

John Saldivar Will Not Resign
Accused kidnapper and murderer William ‘Danny’ Mason is preparing to spend his second full week as an involuntary guest at the Belize Central Prison, but the bizarre circumstances of his [...]

Kim Simplis-Barrow Refutes Allegations by William Mason
The man with many names remains an enigma to the general public. We know where he is right now – that one’s easy – but we don’t even know if [...]

SanCas Salesman Jacked
Just before three this afternoon, there was a brazen robbery. Belizean salesman Mark Lisbey of Santiago Castillo Limited reported that after midday, he was conducting business at a supermarket at [...]

Keron Moss Shot in Hattieville
On Wednesday night, the quiet of the usually peaceful Farmer’s Site in Hattieville was shattered by the sound of gunshots. When police responded, they found that twenty-seven-year-old Keron Devon Moss [...]

Teenage RTA Victim Dies
Sixteen year old Tyrese Carcamo succumbed to injuries he sustained following a traffic accident on Tuesday between miles eight and nine on the George Price Highway. Carcamo was riding home [...]

BCVI Turns 35
Three decades plus five…that’s the length of time the BCVI has been around in Belize. To mark that milestone, the N.G.O. held an anniversary celebration this morning. The Executive Director, [...]

Rowan’s Story Will Be Told in Taiwan
Recently, the Image Factory in collaboration with the Belize Council for the Visually Impaired, BCVI, published a book about the adventures of Rowan Garel. But tonight, with assistance from Taiwanese [...]

Renick James is Going to the Olympics
It has been announced that track and field athletes Katy Sealy and Brandon Jones will represent Belize at the Olympics 2016 in Rio. While the Sealy selection has stirred controversy [...]

Participants Successfully Complete CASSA Program
Creating a Safe Space Agenda is an initiative that was being implemented by the YWCA and involved children and young adults from Belize City and Belmopan participating in various programs.  [...]

Healthy Living Looks at Diabetic Dieting
Any person who has been diagnosed with diabetes knows that what they eat is one of the most critical steps in managing their condition. The diabetes diet may seem very [...]

CTV3

Stevedore Goes Missing
Thirty-four year old stevedore, Tylon Gladden, has been missing for over a month now and his wife Lourdes Gladden is today making a public plea for information on his whereabouts. Gladden was last seen on Friday June 24th as he left his home on Cemetery Road, in Belize City, to a nearby grocery store. But he has not been seen or heard from since. According to Lourdes, her husband suffers from bipolar disorder and his family is worried about his condition. Lourdes Gladden- Wife of missing person “He has been missing for one month now and he has a sickness named bipolar disease and when he gets in that state he doesn’t know anybody he just go leaves the family and he just go but he needs helps wherever he is.”

Officer Awarded For Job Well Done
A short ceremony was held in front of the Orange Walk Police Station this afternoon with the aim of acknowledging and awarding a hardworking police officer for the month of July. Today Police Constable Akeem Augustine was publicly recognized in the presence of his superiors and colleagues as he marched proudly to receive his certificate. Akeem Augustine – Police Officer of the month: “I feel great about it, I probably deserve it and I am excited for being police of the month for today. My fellow colleagues I would like to encourage them to work hard, to come to work on time, don’t be late.”

Kim Simplis Barrow Disassociates Herself From Mason
Accused murderer and kidnapper William Danny Mason has been behind bars since July nineteenth, accused of the murder of Dangriga Pastor Llewellyn Lucas. Even though he is behind bars reports are that Mason is talking, making several revelations including, that he has a total of six gun licenses for nine millimeter pistols, a point thirty-eight caliber revolver and a shotgun and claims that a Minister of Government facilitated the process for him. According to News Five, Mason also allegedly made claims that he owns thirty percent of the Belmopan Bandits and has continued to finance the team. Mason is also alleging that a company he owns got the contract for works to the new Pediatric Ward at the K.H.M.H. What we can tell you today is that the Special Envoy for women and children, who executed the project for the new Pediatric Ward, issued a release today denying any involvement by Danny Mason in the realization of the project.

Ashcroft And GOB Back In Court
The Ashcroft Alliance is once again taking the government of Belize to court, this time to order them to pay 70 million dollars or half of the outstanding Arbitration settlement award, for the nationalization of BTL in US currency. The first payment which was made to the Ashcroft alliance on July 13th, was made with forty million dollars, or 60% in Belize currency and 40% or thirty-eight million dollars was paid in U.S. currency. But the problem arose when the Ashcroft Alliance contended that half of the total award, and not just the 40%, should be paid in US currency. The application was lodged at the Caribbean Court of Justice and in a case management session this morning via teleconference, the substantive hearing was set for August 19th. According to Ashcroft’s Attorney, Senior Counsel Eamon Courtenay, the government of Belize agreed to pay 50% of the total award in US dollars and now that the time has come to pay they are claiming not to have the amount needed in US currency so the matter must be taken to the CCJ for final settlement.

Cane Farmers Plan Another Protest At Tower Hill Junction
Cane farmers from both Orange Walk and Corozal received the second payment for the 2016 sugar cane crop season yesterday but for many the amount was far less than what was expected. This year the cane farmers received almost fifteen dollars less than what was received for the second payment last season. This can be attributed to the general low price of the sugar and most recently the shared loss of the molasses damaged by the recent Maillard reaction suffered at the sugar mill. As you might already know, BSI’s decision to share the loss between the cane farmers and the sugar mill in a ratio of 65% to 35% resulted in a .22 cents reduction in the payment to the cane farmers. But cane farmers are not backing down and are willing to do whatever it takes to recuperate the financial loss even if it means standing in the hot sun to protest once more.

Chinese Join Hands With O/W Police To Fight Crime
With the continuous growth of criminal activity here in the community of Orange Walk, there is definitely the need for authorities to increase their level of patrol in designated areas throughout the town. In an effort to assist the police in their duty to combat crime on a daily basis, the Chinese community has donated a total of three bicycles to the department and of course, authorities are more than grateful for the assistance as it will be used in the most effective and efficient manner. Selvin Tillett – Superintendent of Police, Orange Walk Town: “We have three new bicycles her which were donated to the Orange Walk Police by the Chinese Association this will greatly help the police to do patrols within the town, we are short of mobility and with a bicycle we can get around much more easier and move more quicker to other areas we appreciate the assistance of all business community in Orange Walk because the entire business community had been helping the police and without the assistance we will not be able to police this district properly.”

PlusTV

Mark Flowers saddened at prosecution
Former Gang Suppression Unit boss, Superintendent Mark Flowers is tonight behind bars. It is a position he likely never imagined he would be in. He stands accused of two counts of unlawful sexual intercourse with a 14 year old girl. He has called it a malicious move on the part of a minister of gove...

Home invasion in Belize City
There was a home invasion in Belize City on Monday July 25. According to 75-year old Maria Sylvestre, sometime after 2:30 p.m., while at her home on Princess Margaret Drive with her daughter and her son-in-law, two male persons rushed inside the living room. Sylvestre reported to police that one of ...

One man arrested and charged for the Murder of Belmopan Woman
Belmopan police have formally arrested and charged 19 year old Josue Ortiz, a Salvadoran Laborer of Lirio St. Las Flores Area, Belmopan City, for the crime of Murder. This is for the murder of Bella Regina Williams who was found dead by her daughter on on Monday July 25th in their Belmopan home. Wil...

Section 53 decision wait continues
The decision on the constitutionality of Section 53 of the Criminal Code by Chief Justice Kenneth Benjamin has been put off to August 10th, as confirmed when we visited the Supreme Court this morning. But PLUS News has learned that the main parties in the case did not receive notices from the court ...

High-risk prisoners are isolated from general prison population
Though by agreement with authorities they will not be mentioned by name in this story, a senior police officer accused of unlawful sexual assault on a teenager and an international con artist believed to have masterminded the murder by beheading of a prominent pastor are the two latest high-profile ...

Murder victims see charges dismissed
26 year old Rene “Fat Cat” Chavarria of Ladyville and 21 year old Kieran Morrison of Belize City were murdered earlier this year in separate incidents. But at the time of their deaths, both men were accused of trying to take other lives, and today those cases came to the Supreme Court. Prosecutor Cr...

SECOND CHANCES
Late South African statesman Nelson Mandela, famous for having served nearly 3 decades in jail before becoming president of his nation, was quoted today as saying, “It is said that no one truly knows a nation until one has been inside its jails. A nation should not be judged by how it treats its hig...

#516296 - 07/29/16 11:55 AM Re: Today's Belize News: July 29, 2016 [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

The Guardian

Lloyd Freisen the man who alleges that he was kidnapped by William Mason came into the country where he gave police statements as to the ordeal he says he suffered. No sooner had he finished doing so than had he began to wrap up some of his business in Belize and left the country on Tuesday afternoon. Friesen a Mennonite farmer from Spanish Lookout left all his property in Belize and is now back in Canada but before leaving he spoke to many a person as to his involvement with Mason. He says he was introduced to Mason by Henry Canton. This is the same Henry Canton whom Frank Papa Mena says introduced him to Mason as well. From that introduction Friesen and Mason got into a business arrangement where Mason was to have assisted with the purchase of corn from Argentina which would then be shipped to Guatemala.

Courtenay Scares the media with law suits
Last week the Guardian exposed that Eamon Courtenay through his law firm Courtenay Coye LLP had collected in excess of 134 million dollars on behalf of Michael Ashcroft as part of the payment for BTL. One of the payments is dated July 13, 2016 where BZD $33,039,412.03 was transferred to account number 311204 in the Belize Bank "For further credit to Courtenay Coye LLP A/C No. 69512" held with the Belize Bank for "50% Compensation and Interest due to BTL Employees Trust." The second also dated July 13, 2016 transferred BZD $101,908,041.63 to the same Belize Bank account and further to the same Courtenay Coye LLP account.

Former GSU boss on remand for carnal knowledge charge
Superintendent Mark Flowers, former head of the Gang Suppression Unit, is at the Belize Central Prison on remand for two counts of unlawful sexual intercourse. Allegations against Flowers are that he engaged in sexual intercourse with a 14-year-old girl on January 1 and March 15 of this year. The complainant is now four months pregnant. Flowers appeared before Chief Magistrate Anne Marie Smith on Tuesday, July 26, where he was read two charges of unlawful sexual intercourse. In the presence of his attorney, Richard “Dickie” Bradley, Flowers pleaded not guilty to the charges. Due to the nature of the offenses, bail could not be granted at the Magistrate Court. Chief Magistrate ordered that Flowers be remanded to the Belize Central Prison. His next scheduled court appearance is on September 26, 2016 when disclosure is expected to be provided. Flowers is expected to apply for bail at the Supreme Court with the assistance of his attorney. That hearing is likely to be held on Friday, July 29, and bail is simply a procedural issue. It is almost always granted without objection.

Hypocritical Wade
It must be the heights of hypocrisy for anybody to be behaving in the manner in which Louis Wade is behaving. He has taken up the mantle of being some kind of crusader on behalf of Pastor Llewellyn Lucas who was brutally killed on Friday July 15. What is hypocritical about Wade’s actions is that he is trying to somehow raise public sentiment against the government over the killing of Lucas. But what Wade is failing to tell Belizeans is that he turned his back on Pastor Lucas on the very day he was killed. By his own admission, Lucas had come to him for an audience but Wade categorically stated that, “he was on our list of people who had to go through a special kind of screening or vetting process.” Lucas had reached out to Wade and instead of receiving him as a friend even as a fellow pastor, Wade closed the door on him and chased him away. On Friday July 15, Wade wanted nothing to do with Pastor Lucas. Giving him the cold shoulder must now be eating up Wade, in fact on his appearances on his morning show following Lucas’ death he is looking more and more disheveled. He seems to not be getting much sleep and apparently is not even grooming himself.

Ambassador of the Republic of China (Taiwan) presents 10 million dollar grant to Government of Belize
On Thursday July 21, His Excellency Benjamin Ho, Ambassador of the Republic of China (Taiwan) presented a cheque in the sum of Five Million US Dollars to the Rt. Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister and Minister of Finance and Economic Development of Belize. The cheque is the grant from the Republic of China (Taiwan) to Belize for the year 2016 under the Bilateral Cooperation Program between the two countries. The purpose of the grant is to help the overall development of Belize, particularly in the development of transportation infrastructure. The Government of Belize will use the funds to cover a part of the expenditures on key infrastructure projects, including the Belize City Southside Poverty Alleviation Project Phase II, the extension of the Southern Highway – Golden Stream, Jalacte to the Guatemalan Border in the Toledo District, and for the Santa Elena/San Ignacio Downtown Bypass Road Project.

Two ambulances for the south and north
The ministry of health improved the mobility for patients in two health posts in the country on Tuesday July 26. Minister of Health Hon. Pablo Marin along with his minister of State Hon. Angel Campos officially handed over two new Ambulances to the northern and southern regional health managers. One of the ambulances will be deployed to the San Antonio Polyclinic in the Toledo district while the second will be used at the Northern Regional Hospital in Orange Walk Town. Also handed over was a pickup truck which will be used for Vector Control activities in San Ignacio.

BTL Compensation Award Update
The Government of Belize (GOB) informs that a dispute has arisen between the Government and the Ashcroft Alliance over the recent BTL compensation award handed down by the Permanent Court of Arbitration. GOB, after the most careful examination by a number of its experts, argues that the wrong rate of exchange was applied by the Arbitral Tribunal in arriving at its ultimate compensation figure. GOB also submits that the Tribunal’s calculation of interest was mathematically incorrect. Both mistakes by the Tribunal prejudiced GOB and resulted overall in larger sums being awarded than were justified. GOB has 30 days from the date of the award to seek rectification, and its overseas lawyers have now prepared and are filing the relevant application.

Youth Empowerment Camp 2016 being held in Cayo
A Youth Empowerment Camp 2016, which began at the Saint Ignatius High School on Monday of last week, is ongoing for a second week with the involvement of youths from around the Cayo District. A total of 75 youths, ages 10 to 18 are engaging in useful activities that will be serving them for a lifetime. Now running for the 10th time, the idea for a Youth Empowerment Camp was first envisaged by retired Police Officer David Henderson, which has evolved over the years to now bring the best from inter-agency cooperation. From Wednesday of last week, members of the Election and Boundaries, the National Drug Abuse Control Council and the Department of Youth have been included in facilitating with the lessons. Both Cornerstone and the Belize Family Life Association were also involved during the two weeks program.

Belize City youths bonding at CYDP sports camp
The Hurricanes pledged to boost pride in Belize City at the start of the 2016 Elite Basketball League season. They did this through their play which led them to the city’s first championship in the country’s current top league. The Hurricanes made Belize City proud and residents returned the love by packing their gym during every game. The next season does not start until December of this year or January 2017. However, the Belize City Hurricanes are busy at work. They are not working to improve their individual games or strengthen their team; instead, the Hurricanes are working with at risk youths to improve their life skills and build relationships with individuals from different neighbourhoods. Almost 100 young men are participating in the Under-19 Life Skills through Sports Camp at the ITVET Compound in Belize City. The camp is one of the major activities through which the Conscious Youth Development Programme (CYDP) reaches out to young people in Belize City. Participants from Yabra, Queen Charlotte, Faber’s Road, Kraal Road, Lake Independence, Iguana Street, Jungle, Pickstock, Hattieville and Mahogany Heights will socialize and compete against each other over the course of two weeks.

Guilty by association?
It is being alleged by a Mennonite farmer that he and his wife were kidnapped after he was duped out of $300,000 by Mason or which ever name he goes by. The farmer has also reported to the police, that the Late Pastor Lucas was introduced to him by Mason the alleged conman as his financial consultant/accountant . Lucas he reported sat in on meetings between him and Mason in regards to business transactions between him and Mason, in the capacity as some sort of financial consultant/accountant. It has also been alleged that it was Lucas who was the person who ferried the money from him to Mason. In other words Pastor Lucas was a BAG-MAN or MONEY-MULE Since those allegations have been made, does that mean that every Pastor including Pastor Louis Wade, who knew and associated with Lucas were guilty of whatever crime Lucas may have been a part of? It is not farfetched to believe that Pastor Lucas was indeed in the employ of Mason in some sort of capacity having to do with finances, because prior to Lucas migrating to the United States of America he worked at the Social Security Board in some sort of financial capacity.

How much does Louis Wade know about what caused Lucas’ death!
Last week at the Ministry of National Security Press Conference, BIG MOUTH Pastor Louis Wade got up and spoke . He made the revelation that the Late Pastor Llewelyn Lucas, appeared to have been trying to reach out for help in regards to some trouble that he was in and had gone to see him on the day of his death. The way Wade made it sound at first was as if though he had spoken to Lucas on that fatal day. Now we are hearing from him that he did not speak to Lucas. Apparently Wade came to the conclusion that Lucas was reaching out because he was told that Lucas had made an early morning stop at PlusTV. He wanted to get permission to go on the early portion of the Rise and Shine Morning show to discuss a pressing issue. Apparently a staff member who spoke to Lucas informed him that he would not be able to go on that morning because Wade who hosts the show was not available to speak to him right then.

Deputy Commanding Officer of San Ignacio Police meets and greets
San Ignacio Police two weeks ago met with another Community in the Cayo District to forge community links. Deputy Officer Commanding San Ignacio Police Formation Assistant Superintendent Daniel Iche along with members of San Ignacio Community Oriented Policing Program COPP Team conducted a Meet and Greet on Wednesday 13th July 2016, between the hours of 3:00 pm and 5:00 pm , focusing on the Santiago Juan Layout Area in San Ignacio Town. A total of 18 families were visited by Officers where a total of 18 Meet and Greet forms were filled out. Some members of the Santiago Juan Layout community complained of bushy lots, poor lighting conditions on the backstreet and drainage problems during heavy rains. In order for San Ignacio Police to improve the service to the community, Santiago Juan layout Community members recommended more foot and mobile patrol in the Area, and for Police officers to respond quickly when called to check on reports.

Sexual Abuse of Minors Must Stop!
One of Belize’s obligations to its children is to protect them from all forms of exploitation, abuse and neglect; particularly that of sexual abuse. This very statement became alive and profoundly explicit when Belize became the fifth country to ratify the United Nations convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) in May of 1990. That initiative was a bold testament to our country’s recognition of the importance of caring for our children and nurturing them to be responsible and productive citizens. In this light, Article 19 and 34 of the CRC states that, “Children should be protected from being hurt and mistreated in body or mind and to be free from all forms of sexual abuse”. Keeping this in mind, the recent numerous reports of sexual offenses against children and even infants by the media is more than heart breaking and severely troubling to the National Committee for Families and Children (NCFC). Mere words alone cannot express our absolute condemnation of such heinous acts. As adults, we should be protecting our children rather than taking advantage of them. Children will be children and should be given the opportunity to grow and flourish and therefore, NCFC reiterates that sexual abuse of any sort against our children must STOP. Regardless of the status of perpetrators, no one is above the law and that the only consideration is to seek to do what is in the best interest of the child.

Businessman killed at his business place
Family man and business owner Nathan Underwood was shot and killed inside his bar, Nate’s Cool Spot in Gardenia Village. It is believed that the gunman waited in the bushes for some time to ensure that majority of his customers had already left. On Friday, July 22, at around 10:30 p.m., The 38 year-old Hattieville resident was inside his bar, which is located at Mile 21 on the Philip Goldson Highway. He was getting ready to wind business down for the day, and he was at the back in the kitchen area preparing food for one of his customers. That’s when an unknown assailant snuck up on him. This gunman is believed to have been lurking in the bushes for some time at the back of the bar. The shooter took aim at Underwood through an open back window, and opened fire on him.

Five years imprisonment for hungry homeless man
Codrington Carter, a 60-year-old homeless man, has been sentenced to five years imprisonment after he broke into the Mercy Kitchen facility on Wednesday, July 21, in search of food. Allegations against Carter are that he entered the building as a trespasser and caused damages to a door lock, surveillance camera, a sofa, a mesh screen and other items. Alexandriana Perdomo, Manager of Mercy Kitchen, reported to police on Thursday, July 21, that she properly secured the building at 4 p.m. on July 21 and set the alarm. At 2 a.m. on July 21, she got a call from KBH security firm who alerted her that someone was breaking into the building. Perdomo rushed over to the facility and there she met the police already at the scene. They had detained a man later identified as Codrington Carter, someone who frequented the Mercy Kitchen for over a year.

Bail for cop accused of shooting Nigel Castillo
After four nights on remand at the Belize Central Prison for the attempted murder of Nigel Castillo, 29, Police Constable Wallace Meighan, 19, and his friend, Travaun Chee, 21, are out on Supreme Court bail of $15,000 each. PC Meighan and Travaun Chee were charged on Monday, July 18, with attempted murder, dangerous harm and use of deadly means of harm with a firearm upon Nigel Castillo for an incident that occurred on Thursday, July 14. Castillo reported to police that he was at the basketball court located behind the Charles Bartlett Hyde Building at around 9 p.m. on Thursday when he was targeted by gunmen. Castillo was shot once to the lower abdomen. When police responded to the scene of the shooting, they found Castillo bleeding from his injury and immediately rushed him to the KHMH for treatment. Police investigation later led to the recovery of a pair of firearms and the arrest of PC Meighan and Chee. The shooting is believed to have been triggered by an altercation that took place on the basketball court earlier that night. They were additionally charged for one count of aggravated assault with a firearm upon Gilbert Arana who they allegedly intimidated with a firearm.

Drug seized in Cayo
Police have made a sizeable drug discovery in Cayo. On 20th July 2016 about 8:30 pm members of the Police’s M.I.T were conducting Vehicle checks at mile 54 on the George Price highway when they came across a grey dodge caravan van with license plate BC 44985 that had stopped at the check point. Police were able to observe that there were two male persons inside this vehicle. The driver was of Creole descent and his companion on the right passenger seat was of Hispanic descent. The driver then told the Police, “Officer we can work out something ok, caz I have a lee 30 pounds of weed in the back.” He was immediately cautioned. Both persons were asked to come out of the vehicle and a search was conducted on their persons; however nothing incriminating was found on them. A search of the vehicle in their presence resulted in the discovery of a red crocus sack in the back seat, which also had attached to it a white medium sack. Both sacks were opened in their presence, which revealed vegetable substances consistent to cannabis. They were informed of the offence committed and cautioned.

Gina Conorquie scamming again!
Convicted con artist, Gina Kelly Conorquie, 32, is in trouble with the law again after she was slapped with six counts of her familiar charge, obtaining property by deception. Former Special Constable Goldburn Seguro, 56, reported to police that Conorquie made off with about $9,000 of his money in a housing scam. Seguro said that Conorquie, going by her married name Gina Cherington, claimed that she was an agent of Minister Boots Martinez’s Housing for the Poor Project when he met her. She convinced him that she could get him one of the houses in that project if he paid her a sum of money. Seguro claims he gave her $1,732 on June 7, 2016; $2,497 on June 8, $1,777 on June 18, $2,100 on June 20, $150 on June 24 and $1,214 on June 27. Seguro said that after making these payments he realized that he had been scammed; therefore, he reported Cherrington to police. She was arrested and charged for six counts of obtaining property by deception.

Belize Athletics Association to hold National Championship
The Belize Athletics Association invites all athletes and track enthusiasts once again to be a part of a National Track and Field Championship event. The event will be held at the Marion Jones Sports Complex on the 30th -31st July, 2016. All athletes 16 years and older can participate in the events. Registration forms can be obtained from and returned to the BAA via email ( belizeathleticsassociation@gmail.com) or from our Facebook page (Belize Athletics Association). Cost of registration is $10.00 per athlete.

Belize City Council Dragons win in Firms Basketball Competition
The Belize District Basketball Association Firms’ competition continued over the weekend with a number of games played at the Bird’s Isle. On Saturday 23rd July, 2016, in game one of three games on the schedule, Belize City Council Dragons won over the BTL squad by the score of 91-71. The top scorers for the Belize City Council Dragons were Akeem Watters with 20 points, Andrew Vasquez with 17 points, and Kenroy Usher with 12 points. For the Belize Telemedia Ltd team, the top scorers were Mark Swift with 22 points, and Jason Vasquez with 10 points. In game two, Belize Water Services won over Central Health by the score of 98-94. The top scorers for Belize Water Services were Akeem Trapp with 28 points, Luis Barcelona with 20 points, and Lawrence Young with 16 points.

Belmopan Lightning Strikers won WestLine Female Football Competition
The 2016 WestLine Female Football Competition came to an end on Sunday 24th July, at the Norman Broaster Stadium in San Ignacio Town. In the championship game, Belmopan Lightning Strikers defeated the Belize Coast Guard by the score of 2-1. The goals for Belmopan Lightning Strikers were scored by Iris Centeno in the 50th and 56th minutes of play to lead her team to the title. For the Belize Coast Guard, Kursha Pollard scored the only goal in the 70th minute of play. In the third place game, Real West Strikers defeated Belmopan Lucky Strikers by the score of 3-0. The goals for Real West Strikers were scored by Vicky Ponce in the 54th and 66th minute of play and Kerianne Landero in the 64th minute of play.

Belize Softball Federation to hold Umpires Training
The Belize Softball Federation has announced that it will be holding an Umpires Training for intermediate and advance umpires from August 4-8, 2016. The Training will be conducted by the Chief Umpire of the World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) Softball Division Robert Stanton and will include both theoretical and practical work. The federation envisions that this will be the spring board for umpires who have been involved in the game at the advance level for the past five years to move towards the International Certification for Umpires. The Federation is making an appeal to holders of a high school diploma, Associate Degree, or any higher degrees or teachers to make use of this opportunity to becoming a certified umpire.

Charles Solis Memorial Softball Tournament set for August 7
The VII Charles Solis Memorial Softball Tournament is set for Sunday 7th August, 2016, at the Rogers Stadium in Belize City. The Double Elimination Tournament will feature the defending Charles Solis Memorial Champions (Unitedville Rebels United), Camalote as a special invitation as issued by Charles Solis, the top team from each of the Affiliated Associations of the Federation. The championship will commence at 9:00 am on Sunday 7th August, 2016.

The band Cellula performs in San Ignacio
As a mark of the cordial friendship between Belize and Panama, the band Cellula performed at the Cayo Welcome Center in San Ignacio Town on Friday night and at the Queen Elizabeth Park in Orange Walk on Sunday night of last week. The six member team of Cellula played a combination of pop and roots reggae, which included some well know Caribbean sounds. Singer for the group Cellula, TJ Amboglia shared with us that the forms of music are made as popular as possible so that the commercial radio stations throughout Latin America can play it. Cellula’s main signer says he loves Belize, its people and climate and shared that the climate in Panama is almost similar to that of Belize. Cellula’s visit is made possible through the efforts of the Ministry of Education, Youth, Sports and Culture in partnership with the Embassy of Panama in Belize. Both the Hon. Elodio Aragon Junior from the Ministry of Education and the National Institute of Culture and History also facilitated Cellula’s visit to Belize.

Belize City Center going up
The frame for the Belize City Center is starting to take shape and excitement rises with every beam that is erected next to the BelCan Bridge. Belize City basketball players have been homeless since September of 2013 when the old Belize City Center was torn down. The only “reliable” venues for hosting basketball competitions since have been the Birds Isle and Belize Elementary Auditorium. Without trying to be ungrateful to a welcoming host, Birds Isle would not qualify to host any mid-level league anywhere else in the world. At any time now, someone may fall through that court. It does have sentimental appeal so maybe the National Institute of Culture and History should look into establishing it as a landmark. The Elementary Auditorium is basically a hot box trapped inside a microwave oven. One of the three point line is further than the other and most ballers swear that one of the rims is higher than the next. Apart from that, the facility provides a decent playing experience. However, Belize City ballers are ready to go back home.

City Councilors provide school bags to campers
The Belize City Council is once again hosting two summer camps in an effort to engage Belize City youths in positive activities during the summer vacation. Councilors Hyacinth Latchman-Cuellar and Jason Edwards are hosting children at St. Luke’s Methodist School, while Councilor Alain Gonzalez coordinated a camp for children at the Skills Training Center on Magazine Road. The Lake Independence Camp at St. Luke’s Methodist started on Monday, July 25, and has 100 participants from that area. In the mornings, the children have activities such as literacy sessions, graphic design and arts and craft courses and first aid training. In the evenings they play games and are divided into teams for friendly sporting activities. On Wednesday, July 27, the campers visited the Belize Zoo. The camp ends on Friday and each participant will leave with school bags and supplies for the upcoming school year.

Challenges of and plans to mitigate climate change
Climate Change is an existential threat to the world and small countries like Belize are the most vulnerable to its effects. In order for Belize to effectively mitigate the effects of Climate Change every citizen and organization must do their part. Oceana Belize is doing its part by partnering with the World Wildlife Fund to keep the conversation open in Belize. On Wednesday, July 27, a panel of experts sat down with lovers of the environment at the Radisson for a conference themed “The Energy of Nature vs. the Nature of Energy”. Belize’s top Climate Change authority, Carlos Fuller, made a presentation on the threats posed to Belize by Climate Change and the efforts being made by the region to cope. Special Guest Speaker was Peruvian marine scientist Dr. Patricia Majluf. She made a presentation on the anchoveta fishery in Peru and its overall importance to the ecosystem. She demonstrated how effective harvesting of a marine product can improve sustainability of the entire marine system. Anchovetas were being used primarily as fish feed but when this is done it limits the amount available for species that depend on them for food. By focusing on anchovetas more as a food source and not a source for fish feed, the population of anchovetas has increased which benefits the entire eco system.

Crazy house fence broke down and crazy people are everywhere
On Wednesday of this week it appeared that either the gate at aCrazy house had fallen off its hinges or someone cut a hole in the fence. From early as Tuesday morning some mental patients were calling talk shows and staging protest. However it got out of hand on Wednesday when some how a Crazy man Rivers got a hold on a telephone and called Wave Radio and started to spew obscenities at the two talk show host . He even went as far to threaten the two hosts with threats of death. We don’t know if it was because they had mentioned, that he could not spell too well. When the host said that he couldn’t spell too good , they were not being dishonest or telling lies on Rivers. One only need to visit his Facebook page or check on posts that he had commented on and his BIRDBRAIN CHARACTER would pop right out at you.

Belize City youths bonding at CYDP sports camp
The Hurricanes pledged to boost pride in Belize City at the start of the 2016 Elite Basketball League season. They did this through their play which led them to the city’s first championship in the country’s current top league. The Hurricanes made Belize City proud and residents returned the love by packing their gym during every game. The next season does not start until December of this year or January 2017. However, the Belize City Hurricanes are busy at work. They are not working to improve their individual games or strengthen their team; instead, the Hurricanes are working with at risk youths to improve their life skills and build relationships with individuals from different neighbourhoods. Almost 100 young men are participating in the Under-19 Life Skills through Sports Camp at the ITVET Compound in Belize City. The camp is one of the major activities through which the Conscious Youth Development Programme (CYDP) reaches out to young people in Belize City. Participants from Yabra, Queen Charlotte, Faber’s Road, Kraal Road, Lake Independence, Iguana Street, Jungle, Pickstock, Hattieville and Mahogany Heights will socialize and compete against each other over the course of two weeks.

Twenty Five Belizeans accepted for scholarships in Taiwan for 2016
The Embassy of the Republic of China (Taiwan) is pleased to announce that on Saturday, August 6th, 2016 at 09:00AM at the Chateau Caribbean Hotel, this embassy and Belize-Taiwan ICDF Alumni Society in Belize will co-host an Orientation meeting for this year’s 25 scholarship recipients, who have been awarded scholarships respectively through the Taiwan-ICDF(International Cooperation and Development Fund) Scholarship Program 2016 and the Taiwan Scholarship Program 2016. As of 2015, a total of 281students from Belize have been accepted for scholarships to study in Taiwan. More than 130 of them have completed their degree programs and have returned to Belize. Most of these graduates currently hold positions in government and public institutions such as Government agencies, hospitals and schools, as well as in the private sector. Currently there are still around 140 Belizean students pursuing their degree programs in Taiwan in various fields such as public health, agriculture, business administration, engineering and information and communication technology.

Young Belizean architect to receive trainings on Enterprises Development in Taiwan
A Belizean Architect, Mr Kristian Chanona, will attend a workshop in Taipei, Taiwan on the topic of Small and Medium-sized Enterprises Development for Latin-America in the first two weeks of August of this year. It is one of the two dozen workshops Taiwan offers every year as a means to help countries develop and contribute to the international community. Kristian is proud to be representing Belize at the workshop, and will share Belize’s perspectives and experiences in this area. Kristian was born on Christmas Eve in 1976. In the midst of holiday celebrations during a family visit to northern Belize, his parents, Al and Candy Chanona, unexpectedly had to cross the Corozal border into Chetumal, Mexico for the nearest hospital to welcome Kristian’s arrival. After growing up as a kid in Ladyville and San Pedro, and as a teenager in Belize City, Kristian finally completed paperwork to become a naturalized Belizean at age 17, and is a patriotic Belizean who respects its natural beauty and lifestyle it offers.

A woman murdered near Las Flores
A female domestic has been murdered after a night out with friends. On Monday 25th July 2016 about 7:50am, upon information received, Belmopan Police visited Zultana Street, in the Las Flores Area, Belmopan City where they observed the motionless body of a female. She was of clear complexion, dressed in a white in colour strap blouse, with her blue in colour jeans pants and blue in colour underwear pulled down to her knees, lying face down in a pool of blood. She was learnt to be Belle Regina Williams, a 34 year old Belizean Domestic of Zultana Street.

Erwin Adolphus sentenced to 5 years for firearm
An ex-parte trial for 26-year-old Erwin Adolphus of #15 Tigris Street, Belize City concluded with a guilty verdict on Thursday, July 21, after the accused failed to appear before Chief Magistrate Anne Marie Smith to face his charge. On August 17, 2014, Adolphus was busted by police with a .22 revolver with no serial number on it. The firearm was empty so police charged him only for keeping an unlicensed firearm. The trial commenced on Thursday but Adolphus failed to show up. Since he was not present at his own trial, Adolphus did not get the chance to challenge the prosecution’s evidence they presented against him. Within two hours the case concluded with a guilty verdict. Chief Magistrate Smith sentenced Adolphus to five years imprisonment. He was picked up in the afternoon by police and transported to the Belize Central Prison to begin serving his sentence.

Belmopan teacher killed in Orange Walk
The body of Marcelo Azueta, a Teacher at the Belmopan Comprehensive High School, was found on Sunday morning, July 24. It appears that someone cut his throat, and left his body near to his house. At this time, however, police don’t know why he was killed. According to Police, their investigation has since revealed that at around 3 a.m. that Sunday, someone passing by on Saint Peters Street in Orange Walk Town heard a man cry out loudly. Shortly thereafter, 2 men were seen speeding away from the area on bicycles. The persons who heard the man cry out did not realize that it was Azueta, and that he had been hurt. It was not until just over 2 hours later, that the teacher’s body was discovered. He was very near to his home when his attacker or attackers came upon him.

5 charged for Income Tax heist
Belmopan Police have arrested and charged 5 persons in connection with the robbery at the Belmopan Income Tax Department Office in which almost 30 thousand dollars of government funds were stolen. The principal accused culprits are 19 year-old Devin Brooks Jr., 23 year-old David Cruz Jr., and 33 year-old Richard Hyde. The cops say that these 3 men pulled off the daring armed heist of the Income Tax employees and the police officer who was providing security. These 3 Cayo residents allegedly walked out the door with the stolen loot, and the cop’s service firearm, and they got into a getaway car, which, according to police, was being driven by Ishchelle Tablada, and all 4 escaped. After an intensive investigation, the police recovered some of the stolen cash, the stolen weapon, and some of the items that these accused persons are suspected of purchasing with the stolen money.

Charges fail against Ryan Rhaburn
After about 96 hours in the detention of Belmopan Police, Ryan Rhaburn, who is an employee of the now infamous William Mason, was released without charges at his arraignment for kidnapping. Rhaburn was to be charged in connection with the abduction a Menonnite couple, Lloyd Freisen and his wife. That was the incident which placed William Mason on the police watch list 2 months before the beheading murder of Pastor Llewelyn Lucas, for which the cops think he (Mason) was the mastermind. Freisen had been hiding in Canada for some two months allegedly in fear of his life. That’s because accused murderer and con-man William Mason, who is known as Ted Oulette, or Guyanese Rajesh Ouellet, had allegedly kidnapped him and threatened his family, and extorted him.

Shawn Cook charged for stabbing Sylvester Coc
Police have arrested and charged 25-year-old Shawn Cook for a stabbing incident that took place on Friday, July 8, at Ruba’s Bar in Lords Bank Village. 28-year-old Sylvester Ack reported to police that he was at Ruba’s Bar when he and Charles Coc got into an altercation with Cook who took out a sharp instrument and stabbed him once to the left hand. Based on this report, Shawn Cook was arrested and charged with wounding and two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Weapons and ammunition stolen and recovered in Cayo
Two persons from the Cayo District are the victims of burglaries in which both their weapons and ammunition were stolen. In the first case, William Grimshaw, a 25 year old Belizean Businessman presently residing in Camalote Village, reported that between the hours of 11:30 am and 8:00 pm on July 24, 2016, his residence was burglarized. Stolen from his house were one silver and black in color 9 mm Ruger P95 pistol with serial number 318-33023 and 17 live 9 mm Ruger Brand rounds valued at $2,500.00 Belize currency. Also stolen from Grimshaw was a blue and black HP laptop valued at $2,000.00, a white and black Samsung Tablet valued $1,200.00 and a Microsoft Surface Pro Tablet with keyboard valued $1,500.00. But the thief was not satisfied as the unknown person also took a silver necklace valued at $2,500.00, bringing the loss to a total of $9,700.00 Belize currency.

National U-23 male volleyballers in Panama for Central American Championship
The National U-23 male volleyball team is currently in Panama City, Republic of Panama participating in the Central American U-23 Volleyball Championship. The tournament is a round-robin with the top teams qualifying to the Continental Championship. The team left the country last week and played its first game of the competition on Monday 25th July, against Honduras with Team Belize winning set 1 25-19. In the second set, teams traded points but an early run by Honduras at 13-10 was the difference with Honduras winning the second set 21-25. Belize rebounded in the third set 25-23. Like points, sets were traded and Belize lost the 4th set 20-25 and so it came down to the deciding set. After an early 8-5 Belize lead, Honduras managed to recover to 10-10 but Belize pulled away and won the set 15-11 and the match 3-2. Bryton Codd the captain of the Team Belize had 25 points of which 22 were kills (spikes). He was supported by Raluni Bernardez who had 16 points.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Sugar Cane farmers to protest BSI once more
Sugar cane farmers have planned a more organized demonstration at the BSI entrance on Friday July 29th. Alfredo Ortega, Chairman of the Orange Walk Branch of the Belize Sugar Cane Farmers Association says they are asking all farmers, from all branches and all associations to […]

Home invaders shoot Corozal Town Councillor
BBN has received information indicating Corozal police have detained two men in relation to a home invasion on Tuesday night. Reports are that in the Altamira Area in Corozal Town, two masked men approached the home of Guillermo Arana, a member of the Corozal Town […]

Teenager fights off attacker at home
A man who entered the home of a teenager and attacked her in an attempt to cause bodily harm after the girl was home alone is tonight on remand at the Belize Central Prison and will also have to serve 5 months for an old bill […]

U.S. deportee lands in jail again
31 year old Luvia Castelain wants to get back to the United States to see her children, but she has been deported twice in a year, the second time trying to cross into the U.S. from Mexico. Today, because she failed to report to […]

CCJ hears currency dispute matter over arbitration award
The Ashcroft Alliance wants half of the outstanding arbitration settlement award for the nationalization of Belize Telemedia Limited (BTL) in U.S. dollars, but the Government of Belize, which is also challenging some aspects of the award, says that even if they are ordered to […]

Hattieville police investigate shooting incident
Hattieville police are currently investigating a shooting incident that landed 27-year-old Keron Devon Moss at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital. Initial investigations have revealed that Moss was at his home when he heard a knock on his door and upon opening it, he saw […]

Teen motorcyclists dead in truck collision
Two families are mourning the untimely death of 18 year old Edwardo Chacon and 15 year old Henry Monrroy both from mile 10 on the Stann Creek Valley Road. According to police on Tuesday July 26th, around 10:30 p.m. police responded to a fatal […]

Predators pounce on Belize’s flawed and corrupted system
This entire saga involving William Mason and the murder/beheading of Pastor Llewelyn Lucas has left Belize with far more questions than answers. It does, however, provide obvious and blatant evidence of why Belize is in desperate need of increased transparency and proper oversight. There […]

Blogs

Packing for Deep Jungle Camping in Belize And A Bit of Birdwatching
This weekend I head into the Chiquibul Nature Reserve to join volunteers that are camping at the bottoms of huge trees to protect Belize’s Scarlet Macaws from poaching. Last year, I did one night…this year, I will do four. BABY STEPS! Most volunteers head into the jungle for 14 nights. No internet. No electricity. No phone. Most people who visit Belize, or live here, have never been to the Chiquibul – it is unpopulated and beyond remote and takes up a surprisingly big chunk of the country. It’s where jaguars are ACTUALLY spotted (the Scarlet Six team and the volunteers have spotted 3 so far this year.) When I asked Ali Wunderman, writer from The Naturalist and recently Chiquibul-survivor , if she saw one…SHE DID! Early in the morning, along the side of the river…pooping. Nature in all her glory. I will absolutely die if I see a jaguar or a tapir – and THIS is the place to see them in Belize. Other than the Zoo. Sadly, it is much easier to get to Belize’s Chiquibul from Guatemala than it is from Belize. And that is the problem. Illegal logging, gold digging, artifact looting and plant & animal poaching has been and continues to be a huge problem.

The show of a life time: Russian Ballet on Ice
As part of the tropic, winter is the last thing that comes to mind when thinking about Belize. There is not snow and ice skating is a sport we can imagine. So what would you say if I told you there will be an ice skating show here in Ambergris Caye?? Yes! For the very first time, Belizeans will be treated to a never-before-seen performance by the Russian Ballet on Ice. The world class ice skating show is scheduled to take place in both Belize City and San Pedro Town, and even though Belize does not have a skating rink, the show will be possible through the use of an Ice Equipment Complex (IPC). Everyone is invited to attend the once-in-a-life time show and experience a magical night. The IPC is a portable artificial ice skating rink that can be installed on any solid surface and provides the similar conditions of a natural rink.

Thousand Foot Falls: A Majestic Waterfall to visit in Belize
Located deep within a nature reserve in western Belize, Thousand Foot Falls is the highest waterfall in all of Central America. A swift river descends over a granite cliff to descend more than 1,600 feet into a thickly forested natural wonderland. As you wind your way through the verdant hillsides of the Mountain Pine Ridge Forest Reserve, you’ll come across a special viewing area equipped with a public restroom and some benches. From there, you can see the majesty of the largest waterfall in all of Central America. Although its waters descend more than 1,600 feet into a thickly forested gorge, the waterfall is known in Belize as Thousand Foot Falls. Thousand Foot Falls is located inside of the Mountain Pine Ridge Forest Reserve in the Cayo District of western Belize. As such, it has no official address but the closest major town is San Ignacio. Once inside the park, follow well-marked signs to arrive at the falls. The nearest town to the Mountain Pine Ridge Forest Reserve is San Ignacio in Belize’s western Cayo District. From there, several official entrances to the enormous reserve (over 100,000 acres or 430 square kilometers) exist. Follow well-marked trails and signs to arrive at the official viewing site for Thousand Foot Falls.

International Sourcesizz

Rider student's path to new career includes awe-inspiring trip to Belize
Robyn-Cherry Seigler '16 hiked through miles of lush, tropical jungle in the Tapir Mountain Nature Reserve of Belize. She swam through a crystal-blue natural moat protecting Actun Tunichil Muknal — also known as the ATM Cave. As she stood at the entrance of the cave, knee deep in flowing water, Seigler paused in awe of the stalactite and stalagmite formations surrounding her and was overwhelmed with the ancient Mayan history that echoed deep within the cave system. “We saw broken pottery used in rituals to release spirits, posed skeletal remains that had been embedded in the rock for centuries and deformed skulls with jade teeth to show wealth or status,” Seigler says. This once-in-a-lifetime adventure was made possible by Rider University’s Nature’s Business course. Seigler joined other students and distinguished faculty to learn about the culture, history, ecotourism and sustainable development in Belize. The independent research trip to Belize was the perfect opportunity for Seigler to apply what she’s learned, outside the classroom. “I’ve never been to a developing nation so to see firsthand the human impact on their ecosystems was revealing," she says. "Something as simple as using frozen shrimp instead of fresh fish as bait can disrupt a natural habitat."

How This 66-Year-Old Florida Man Opened A Successful Restaurant In The Caribbean
“I had no experience in the restaurant business,” he says of his decision to open the Blue Iguana, the popular restaurant he now operates with his Belizean partner, Shantel, in Corozal, in northern Belize near the Mexican border. “But that has not been a problem. Business principles are the same in any business.” Initially, Steve lived in Belize as a retiree. But he became restless and began looking for a way to occupy his time... “I’ve worked since I was 11 years old. I go stir crazy if I’m not working!” he says. Luckily, when he moved to Corozal, he found an opportunity he couldn’t resist. Now Steve spends the better part of his waking hours at the Blue Iguana, overlooking the Bay of Corozal. Here he enjoys a million-dollar view over the glistening green bay and a soothing Caribbean breeze: not the worst lifestyle to wake up to every day.

10 Caribbean Nations With The Most U.S. Direct Investments
The U.S. State Department this week released the annual Investment Climate Statements for 2016, which also shows the US’ direct foreign investments in nations globally, including the Caribbean region. Here are the 10 Caribbean nations – ranked from most to least investments – which benefited from the most US investments as of last year based on NAN’s analysis: 10: Belize. Rounding out the 10 ten is Belize, which saw U.S. direct investment in 2015 of US $34 million, an increase of 3 percent from 2014.

CCCCC Participates in an Energy of Nature vs Nature of Energy Conference
Carlos Fuller, International and Regional Liaison Officer of the Caribbean Community Climate Change Centre delivered a presentation on Belize and the International Response to Climate Change at the Second Part of the Energy of nature vs the Nature of Energy Conference Series which was held at the Radisson Fort George Hotel in Belize City, Belize on 27 July 2016. Fuller’s presentation focused on Belize’s vulnerability to climate change, the international response to climate change and Belize’s contribution to the Paris Agreement. Carolyn-Trench Sandiford spoke about the importance of planning to adapt to climate change. Roberto Pott delivered a presentation on the impacts of climate change on Belize’s coastal and marine resources while Ansel Dubon spoke about Belize’s efforts to transition to renewable energy. The guest speaker was Dr. Patricia Majluf, Vice President of Oceana Peru, who provided reflections on the impacts of climate change on Peru’s fishing industry.

Videos

• Blue Ventures Expeditions Belize, 3min. Scuba diving adventures!

• We Love Nurse Sharks in Belize, 1min.

• Backpacking through Belize & Guatemala, 34min.

• Belize Diving, 7min.

• Costa Maya Parade to sashing ceremony, 3min. Mundo Maya celebrated through the streets of San Pedro, Belize.

• Belize 2014-2015, 7min. This is some footage from my long stay in belize from the end of 2014 to the beginning of 2015

• Travel Belize 2016, 9min. This was an amazing trip to Belize, Central America for us and many more to come.

Links
    Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
    Daily News
    Daily Weather

Classified Ads
    BelizeNews.com
    San Pedro Sun
    Ambergris Today
    SP Town Council
    Channel 7
    Channel 5
    Amandala
    Love FM
    The Reporter
    Caye Caulker
    Chronicles

PLUS TV
    TV Newscasts
    Radio Stations

Click for our
    Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
    Event Calendar
    Specials & Events
    Things to Do
    SanPedroScoop
    iTravel Belize
    Paradise Theater

Blogs
    San Pedro Scoop!
    Tia Chocolate
    Tacogirl
    My Beautiful Belize
    I-Travel Belize
    Belize Adventure
    Belize Hub
    Romantic Travel
    Bound for Belize
    Conch Creative
    As The Coconuts Drop
    More Blogs...
    Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
    Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
    White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
    Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
    We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
    Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
    Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
    Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
    Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
    Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
    More Links
    Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
    December
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30 31
    Who's Online
    2 registered (dabunk, IGAmel), 35 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Stats
    18,674 Registered Members
    44 Forums
    64,056 Topics
    462,294 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
    BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
    BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
    BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
    and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.