Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#516340 - 07/31/16 11:57 AM is all what i read about belize true?
befree Offline
Hi everyone !

Thanks in advance for helping me out on this ! I'm looking for some confirmation about the info i have about belize.

I'm planning to move to belize, in about 2 years. I come from a latam country, with very high taxes and this is the main reason to move out. i have no childrens, nor girlfriend or spouse. some friends but is not critical. i'm not a person that go out too much, like peace and quiet life, i currently live in a sea front house, that is something i'm not gonna give up, so between the taxes stuff and that belize has an amazing view, is a decision taken laugh .

i will take my parents with me, they are old (77 and 67) but very active and they really love the idea.

my main source of info is this: http://www.nomoretax.eu/living/relocation-to-belize/
and my questions are:

1) i'm CEO of an US company, and i can work as far i have an internet connection, so i receive salary and dividends from it (from US and UK). From what i could find, there is no income taxes as my activity is not performed inside belize right?

2)i can get a QRP (Qualified Retired Person) with 29/30 years old? or i need to get 45 anyway?
if i can't get a QRP, there is some way to easily get a work permit and the permanent residence? this is a must, as i need a permanent resident paper to confirm my home country that i'm not there and that i would not come back, so i can stop paying taxes there.

money is not really a problem, i will be moving there with 200K usd in savings at least, planning to rent a house at first.

I know that to actually move, i will check a lot of other things, i will travel there as a tourist to see the area, meet the locals, see how customs works, how the security / police is there, how the health system works, etc.. but those 2 are my deal-breakers conditions, so to even before going to see how is there, i want to have some kind of "real human" confirmation if this 2 things are real and possible.

Again, many thanks laugh

#517640 - 09/18/16 09:17 PM Re: is all what i read about belize true? [Re: befree]
aleem Offline
I am in a similar situation, let me know if you have any news / advice about moving to Belize

#517802 - 09/24/16 03:34 PM Re: is all what i read about belize true? [Re: befree]
katzgar Offline
Belize is generally safe but police are poorly equiped and under trained. Health care is basic, you go to PDC or Merida in Mexico or the US for fancy sruff

#517803 - 09/24/16 05:31 PM Re: is all what i read about belize true? [Re: befree]
elbert Offline
I've been here over 20 years.
I agree with Katzar but Health Care has gotten a lot better in the last few years. I don't feel the need to go to Merida anymore but if I did it certainly is a lot quicker, easier and cheaper to get there now a days.
The Police are underpaid and not trained well but our crime is low relatively speaking to some place like the USA.
The news reports a crime wave if we have some incidents that would probably not even get in the news in a place like the USA.
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#517806 - 09/25/16 06:31 AM Re: is all what i read about belize true? [Re: befree]
katzgar Offline
actually Belize has one of the highest crime rates in the world so Elbert is incorrect. When I say generally safe I mean crime is generally confined to the south side of Belize City. Other areas of the country have low crime rates. Summer is extremely hot. Expats often spend a lot of time to replicate their N. American lifestyle which is very hard to do in Belize as availability is often an issue. Brewing coffee wothout a machine that requires filters and line drying clothes makes life easier. When I say fancy health care I mean things like bypass or cancer, they will be treated out of country. ownership of things can be considered communal by Maya so watch your things.

#517809 - 09/25/16 06:46 AM Re: is all what i read about belize true? [Re: befree]
Diane Campbell Offline
To be free...

About point #1- Belize will not tax you on income earned from foreign dividends

About point #2 - you must be 45 or older for QRP.
You can get permanent residence after spending one full year here (without leaving for more than a total,of 2'weeks). As for how to prove to your home country that you don't live there for that first year, would your passport stamps showing you stayed in Belize be sufficient?

#517810 - 09/25/16 07:12 AM Re: is all what i read about belize true? [Re: befree]
Pebbles Offline
The first thing you need to know is that getting any kind of Residency at this time in Belize is impossible. There is a problem with the Immigration Dept. taking bribes to facilitate Nationality, passports, for certain individuals over the past 4 years. Hence, a complete breakdown of the system has taken place. I applied for my Residency 3 years ago and am still waiting. So is a friend who applied 5 years ago and another friend who applied 2 1/2 years ago (she actually paid $4K US to an Expeditor so she wouldn't have to wait). Check out any of the newspapers in Belize to confirm this for yourself. If you need Residency documents right away, you should go somewhere else.

#517812 - 09/25/16 07:26 AM Re: is all what i read about belize true? [Re: katzgar]
elbert Offline
Originally Posted By katzgar
actually Belize has one of the highest crime rates in the world so Elbert is incorrect. When I say generally safe I mean crime is generally confined to the south side of Belize City. Other areas of the country have low crime rates.

Katzgar You made me google it and i can't seem to find Belize rating high on crime,
http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/most-dangerous-cities-in-the-world.html - Belize City didn't make the cut.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate Belize is low with a rating of 34.4 with Honduras coming in at 84.6 and if you want to feel real safe move to France , they got a score of 1.2
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#517813 - 09/25/16 07:32 AM Re: is all what i read about belize true? [Re: elbert]
Pebbles Offline
According to Wikipedia and other news outlets Belize is number 7 in the world for murders per capita. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

#517814 - 09/25/16 07:53 AM Re: is all what i read about belize true? [Re: befree]
ragman Offline
Belize has the world's third highest murder rate, with 44.7 murders per 100,000 of the population, according to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. Only Honduras and Venezuela are worse.Jan 20, 2016
katzgar is correct but again crime does not often effect gringos. These stats do not show up on many lists because of the small population of Belize.

Healthcare has improved a little but has miles to go. I know several people who had what would be relatively simple problems to correct in the USA. Bone fractures come to mind and I personally know of two or three which where blotched terribly. I myself got sick with a relatively rare disease about 4 years ago. I would have probably died there if I didn't get on a plane and fly to Boston the day I realized that it was something serious. I needed a neurologist and at the time there were only 2 that I could find when I researched it after the incident. One looks like he or she specialized in migraine headaches. Even if I was diagnosed correctly I'm quite sure the treatment I needed was not available in country. So heart attacks, stokes, or say cancer you better head back to the USA. Keep in mind that this is a country of 350,000 and advanced medical care I don't think can be supported by a small population.

They have done a very good job in treating certain injuries like the man who was run over by a boat and lost his leg. They stopped the bleeding and stabilized him which is no small feat in a non-hospital environment.

There is a lot of good about living here but healthcare is not one of them if you are used to USA standards especially near large cities like I was used to. Of course that is magnified as you age. elbert gets younger each year and seems in great condition so this doesn't apply to him. wink

Good luck if you come down it will likely be a plus in your life, it was in mine.

ps elbert that was a complement, I was not being sarcastic.

Edited by ragman (09/25/16 08:21 AM)
Edit Reason: clarification and ps
Somewhere on a beach in Belize

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,718 Topics
461,262 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.