FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

2016 San Pedro murders remain under investigation
The San Pedro Police Department has registered a total of six murders since the beginning of 2016. With the official police statistics being released last week, the murder rate in Ambergris Caye has seen a rise compared to last year. In 2015, a total of eight murders were recorded for the entire year. Deputy of the Belize Police Department Coastal Executive Unit Henry Jemmott shared some updates on the cases that remain unsolved.

Wolfe’s Woofer: Speak Now
“Mr. Dennis, I would like one favor from you.” “Sure, Hector. What do you need?” “Me and Elena we’re getting married this week and I would like for you to come to my wedding.” The next Sunday I put on a pair of long pants and a clean shirt and went to a little church on the north side of town. I was running a little late. I walked in as the minister said, “If anyone has any objection to this marriage let them speak now or forever hold their peace.” The church was completely quiet except for the sound of soft footsteps. Heads turned to look. A beautiful young woman carrying a newborn baby walked slowly toward the minister.

Police Report
Shooting: On Wednesday, July 21st at 7:30PM 45-year-old, Calvin Chi Sr. reported that around 7:20PM while he was at home in the San Mateo Area, he heard someone shouting “Leroy” from in front of his residence on the street. He replied “Leeroy nuh the yah”, shortly after that, he heard about seven gunshots coming from outside of his fence.
Found firearm: On Thursday, July 22nd at 10AM, acting on information, a joint team of Special Branch and Criminal Investigation Branch personnel conducted a search in an abandon lot in the San Mateo Area, San Pedro Town which led to the discovery of a 9mm Smith & Wesson Pistol (serial number unknown) and an empty magazine.
Drug Trafficking: On Tuesday, July 16th at noon, acting on Special Branch Intelligence, a joint team of Special Branch and Criminal Instigation Branch personnel conducted search at an apartment room occupied by 37-year-old Kirt Jason Cruz in the San Pedrito Area. The search led to the discovery of 4.144 pounds of suspected Cannabis, he was charged for Drug Trafficking.
Found Drugs: On Wednesday, July 27th at 9:15AM, acting on Special Branch Intelligence, a joint team of Special Branch and Criminal Investigation Branch personnel intercepted a parcel at the Tropic Air Cargo section in San Pedro Town containing a total of 534 grams of suspected Cannabis.

Doctor Love: Unsatisfied
Dear Doctor Love, I have been married for ten years and my wife and I are both in our mid thirties. We have two children, a baby and a three year-old and we are both excellent parents. What we are not is a good married couple. A few years ago we recognized that almost every thing we had in common no longer exists or it never existed at all. Our sexual relations has slowly dried up and we both have completely different interests. We went to counseling but it only helped temporarily. Last year I had an affair with someone I had just met and I almost left my wife for her. The children now seem to be the only reason we are together. Now I worry that I will end up having more affairs because I am so unsatisfied in my marriage. For my children’s sake I would love to have the marriage work but I don’t see how I can live this way long term. What can I do? /s/ Unsatisfied

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Caribbean takes first step to maximize value of fisheries and aquaculture sector
At a time when countries across the Caribbean region are faced with economic challenges, innovation in one of its prime sectors -- the fisheries and aquaculture sector -- can spur the kind of growth needed to help buttress the regional economy. However, this kind of change won’t come overnight. The Caribbean Regional Fisheries Mechanism (CRFM) is working with member states from around the region, as they prepare to take the first steps in converting fish waste to fish wealth -- a change that could multiply earnings from the sector. “Going forward, we need to make the point that proper utilization of fishery resources is not about increasing production or increasing catches, it is more about maximizing value of what we are now taking and realizing the significant benefits that is possible by focusing on value addition,” said Milton Haughton, executive director of the CRFM. Chief fisheries officers, senior fisheries officers and private sector representatives from 17 CRFM member states learned about the application of the value chain approach to the fisheries and aquaculture sector when they attended a weeklong workshop held in Suriname last week.

NEMO Advisory No. 2, Strong and Fast Moving Tropical Wave remains disoprganized over the Eastern Caribbean

COULD THIS BE THE K-T BOUNDARY???
This layer can be observed inside the kabal set of the Chiquibul caverns. The K-T boundary refers to the layer of clay dating to approximately 65 million years ago; it coincides to an asteroid impact in the Yucatan, in Mexico. It is called the K-T boundary because it marks the boundary between two major periods of time, each tens of millions of years long: the Cretaceous and the Tertiary. Worth visiting and certainly worth protecting. The asteroid they refer to landed in the sea just north of the Yucatan and is credited with causing the extinction of dinosaurs. If you have ever been to Albion Lagoon in OW district, you will find rocks from the asteroid. The impact with earth sent pieces flying deep inside Belize. Fascinating. Our history, millions of yrs ago, preserved for us to study and do hope our kids are learning about this in school.

"The Energy of Nature Vs. The Nature of Energy" Conference Part II
Oceana and WWF Belize Saving our Shared Heritage would like to thank everyone who made "The Energy of Nature Vs. The Nature of Energy" Conference Part II a great success! The presenters, speakers, moderator, and audience fueled thought provoking dialogue on climate change adaptation in Belize. "As sea levels rise, so must we rise to secure our future!" The conversation continues!

Getting ready to release the boats, Emancipation Day

Emancipation Day‬ - August 1, 1834
Marked the day Africans in British colonies received freedom from slavery.

Belize Fishing Report, July 25
Our anglers have enjoyed super successes in the last couple of weeks! John G and Jon L each Slammed + both of Robert Woodruff’s daughters, Elise and Emily achieved a SUPER Grand Slam (bone, permit, Tarpon and a Snook in one day)!!

The Reporter

UEF to hold Emancipation Day church service
The United Black Association for Development (UBAD) Educational Foundation is holding a church service at the Queen Street Baptist Church in honor of the 178th anniversary of the Emancipation of African slaves. The service will begin at 11 p.m., and will be focused mostly around prayers and worship, running up until 12 a.m.? on August 1, the actual day of emancipation. Yaya Marin-Coleman, chair of the UEF, explained that this is the third year, the foundation is holding the church service, to commemorate the momentous occasion in black history. Marin-Coleman explained that on the night of July 31, 1838, the enslaved gathered at the location which now houses the Queen Street Baptist Church, to pray and worship and give thanks for their freedom. She said that it is in their honor that the UEF holds the service.

Bad weather headed for Belize
After a storm-free July, the Atlantic hurricane season is rebounding with two weather systems expected to become storms, one of which is projected to hit Belize in the upcoming week. The National Hurricane Center in Miami Florida, announced today that it is actively tracking two weather disturbances, one of which is located in the Caribbean Sea, a few hundred miles east of the Lesser Antilles. The NHC says the first system, designated Invest 97-L, has a 70 percent chance of storm formation in the next five days, with a 40 percent chance of becoming a storm within the next 48 hours. The disturbance is expected to bring heavy rains and gusty winds to portions of the Lesser Antilles, the Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico today, and make its way onto Belize later in the week. “These conditions should spread westward across the eastern and central Caribbean Sea tonight and reach Hispaniola on Monday,” the NHC said, advising interests in these areas and elsewhere in the Caribbean Sea to monitor the progress of this system.

The Belize Times

Belmopan Teacher Slain in O.W. Town
Orange Walk Police are searching for a pair of murderers who can provide answers in the murder of Marcelo Azueta, 39. Azueta was a teacher at the Belmopan Comprehensive School who was at home in Orange Walk spending the summer holiday when he was killed at around 3:00am Sunday morning. The body was discovered hours after with a single cut wound to the neck on St. Peter’s Street near the market. Police have only sketchy information to go on at this point, but it is believed that Azueta was out drinking when he was attacked and murdered. According to Assistant Superintendent of Police Selvyn Tillett, “someone who was passing by heard a loud cry coming from the area where the body was found. Shortly thereafter, he saw two male persons riding off on bicycles”. And that is it, the only leads Police have at this time. “The only leads we are following is the two individuals seen fleeing the area. We have gotten descriptions of the persons and the bicycles they were riding. So hopefully we can trace down these individuals,” Tillett claims.

THE WONDEROR AND THE PRICE OF SUGAR
The sugar cane industry has a long history in Belize. The Mestizo first in the north, then the British and then the Confederates after they abandoned USA after losing the civil war. The confederates were used to slavery so they were very successful while in the USA. Who wouldn’t? They came to British Honduras with money and knowledge. Several of them purchased several huge chunks of land around Belize to grow cane and do other farming. They were unsuccessful because they had to pay for labor as slavery had been abolished by their mother country. They were the ones who actually introduced indentured labor in Belize, but they still failed in their cane farming operations. They were only used to slavery. They eventually packed and left. Young PUP stalwarts from the North assisted in developing the cane industry. First Libertad at Pembroke Hall, then Tower Hill at Orange Walk. The PUP caudillo (Mr. PRICE) was the one who nationalized the cane industry and gave all the farm lands to the “Norteños”. The photos below are our history, the history of the Mestizos of the north, carved by the PUP. Great history!

STOP CHANCE PEOPLE!!
I feel very strongly about the abuse of office, especially by persons who are sworn to serve and to protect members of the public. And I surely hope that this point is not lost amidst the huge noise and outcries after the bizarre and gruesome murder of Pastor Llewellyn Lucas. It can be no exaggeration for the Belizean people to feel that the government and police authorities have blood on their hands. Many people from all sectors have weighed in, particularly Pastor Louis Wade, and he has been fearless in stating that police information has not been accurate. He has stated in no uncertain terms that the Mennonite couple were kidnapped. There was no ‘attempted’ kidnapping, and a formal and comprehensive report was indeed made to the police of this kidnapping. But let me not digress, my point being abuse of office by high officials, more specifically the head of the Gang Suppression Unit, Mark Flowers. There have been various reports of his “chancing” many people in the execution of his duties, and since he has tied his flag firmly to the UDP government flagpole and made it clear that he acts at their behest, it is very fair to observe that he is not carrying out his duties in an impartial and dispassionate way. In other words we can say that he is compromised in the execution of his work.

BTL’s Rotten Deal
You see all those ads on television every night? All those ads trying to convince you that paying more than half a billion dollars for an outdated, mismanaged company was an amazingly good thing? Well you know who’s paying for those ads which by now have added up to a couple hundred thousand dollars? WE ARE. It’s not a private company funding this ad campaign from its own resources, it’s the Government of Belize using more of our taxpayer dollars to convince us that putting us in debt, by more than half a billion dollars, is something we should be extremely happy about. It’s crazy, and disheartening. Seriously! You know how when the Council is doing work on the streets, and we are doing work on a lot of streets, there is a sign which says your tax dollars at work. Well, this government isn’t using our tax dollars for work. It is using our tax dollars for foolishness. And using our tax dollars like there’s no tomorrow. And when they use our tax dollars irresponsibly and foolishly you know who suffers? It’s not Mr. Barrow, his family and friends.

UDP Ministers in another Corruption Scandal
The huge corruption scandal involving several top UDP Ministers, millionaire and international swindler William Mason, and the beheading of Pastor Llewlyn Lucas again shows that we are dealing with one of the most corrupt governments in Belize. Mason was very close with Police Minister John Saldivar, UDP Deputy Party Leader Patrick Faber, Minister of State Frank “Papa” Mena, Mark Flowers, who was then head of the Gang Suppression Unit, and a number of senior police officers among others, and he gave many of those persons thousands of dollars. Mason was involved in extortion, kidnapping, and a wide range of other illegal activities. Mason wined and dined many influential persons in Belize at his mansion on Intelco Hill in Belmopan for over two years. Both Police Minister John Saldivar and Junior Minister “Papa” Mena have admitted that they received lots of cash from him.

Gunmen Steal $100,000 from King’s Park Home
There is real concern that criminals have begun to actively target homes in certain “affluent” neighborhoods following a brazen home invasion on Monday. It happened at around 2:30pm at the home of 75 year old Maria Sylvestre located at the corner of ‘A’ Street and Princess Margaret Drive. Two men, one dark-skinned and the other Hispanic, allegedly walked right into the house and straight up to Sylvestre, her daughter and son-in-law. At gunpoint the trio was ordered to lie on the floor where they were robbed of their personal belongings. The two men seemed to know exactly what they wanted from the home, ordering Sylvestre to take them to the safe and open it. From that safe they nabbed $50,000 in assorted jewelry, US$20,000 cash and other small electrical items including two Ipads. Satisfied with the heist which amounted to almost $100,000, the men then ran out of the home and down Princess Margaret Drive.

Homeless & Hungry Senior Citizen sentenced to 5 years for breaking into Mercy Kitchen
A homeless Belize City senior citizen was sentenced to the Belize Central Prison where he will spend the next 5 years for entering and burglarizing the Mercy Kitchen. 60 year old Codrington Carter knew the Mercy Kitchen had food because it is a place where he has been getting meals from time to time for the past year or so. But on Wednesday, July 20, Carter went to Mercy Kitchen after the regular hours and helped himself to food without getting permission. Carter set off the alarm system which alerted police that someone had gained entry. On Friday, July 22nd morning, Carter appeared before Senior Magistrate Sharon Fraser and pleaded guilty to one count of burglary.

Mother of 3 Brutally Killed in Belmopan
Police are preparing to arraign Josue Israel Ortiz, 19, for the murder of Bella Regina Williams, 34, in the early hours of Monday morning. Williams’ body was found just in front of her home in Las Flores at around 8:00am by her 12 year old daughter. According to reports Williams, the mother of three, had gone across the street to the La Cabaña Club on Sunday night at around 9:00pm to hang out, something her family members say she did frequently. While at the Club, she was socializing with two men. It is believed that she left the club with one of the men and around 3:00am, neighbors told Police they heard loud noises and screaming, but because of the proximity of the club they did not think anything of it.

Dying Dignity, Dying Integrity! – A Political Murder?
The recent incident involving Pastor Llewellyn Lucas’ macabre death has sent shockwaves within the Belizean society. It took such gruesome act to bring to the fore a gamut of criminal violations conducted over a lengthy period by the con-artist William Mason: kidnapping, extortion and suspected murder. This shady individual of many names began to take root through politically connected, high-ranking members of the United Democratic Party. The country’s Minister of National Security, John Saldivar, has admitted to accepting monies donated to his Belmopan Bandits Football Club; Minister of State Frank “Papa” Mena accepted finance of some $10,000 during the bye-election held in March 2016 in the South. The newly-appointed Deputy Prime Minister of the UDP Patrick Faber cavorted in the company of the diabolic Mason at his Intelco Hills homestead in the City of Belmopan. What strange bed-fellows politics makes. Upon the revelation that Pastor Lucas’ head was found in William Mason’s truck and that political affiliates of the UDP kept Mason’s company, the Prime Minister the Rt. Honorable Dean Barrow switched roles becoming once again a “pinch hitter” for his minions in his attempt to diminish their responsibility in the scheme of things.

Questions to Ministers!
Which other Cabinet Ministers, in addition to John Saldivar, Patrick Faber, Frank Papa Mena, and Godwin Hulse, visited conman William Mason’s home? Where is the Corozal Bay Area Representative? Corozal Bay residents say their area rep has gone M.I.A since January. Did Deputy Prime Minister Gaspar Vega approve the corn importation permit which William Mason claimed he had gotten from senior Government officials?

Historic Swearing in for San Pablo Village Council
The new San Pablo Village Council was sworn in in a historic ceremony on Friday, July 15th, 2016, at 7:00 PM, at San Pablo Community Center at San Pablo Village. In attendance were elected Chairman, Francisco Javier Sabido; Vice chairperson Shawntel Novelo; Secretary Daisy Cabrera, and Treasurer Alex Nadir Marin. They were joined by supporters who were part of the historic change that saw the PUP taking back the village after 15 years of UDP waste. The other three UDP Councilors opted not to show up for the official swearing in. They held a private swearing in people but was done in the presence of area representative Gaspar Vega.

24 year old remanded for attempted murder
A twenty-four year old man was remanded to the Belize Central Prison this morning, after he was arraigned on charges of attempted murder, use of deadly means of harm and dangerous harm. Chief Magistrate Ann Marie Smith explained to Raheem Marsden, 24, that he has the option of applying to the Supreme Court for bail, before she read the charges to him and told him that he does not need to enter a plea because his matter will be dealt with at the Supreme Court. The charges against Marsden arose from a stabbing incident that occurred last Thursday, July 21, when Alfonso Castillo was stabbed during an altercation. The incident occurred through Rhaburn’s Alley, which is located off New Road, connecting with North Front Street. Castillo was stabbed twice. The court prosecutor objected to the granting of bail to Marsden, and when Chief Magistrate Smith asked him why the court should grant him bail, Marsden replied that he was acting in self-defense.

Hard Knocks
Me hear PM neva gawn weh fu try fix ih back. Me hear dih man tek break from crazy house cause ih mih know dat dih dolly house wah start crumble wen Mason start sing dih prison lullaby. Noh seh me seh, but wah bunch a minister backside deh goh cinco-seis right now cause dah noh leebit ah ting Mason know, and dah noh leebit ah money he hand out, and dah noh leebit a video he tek dah dih den of iniquity pon dih hilltop. Ohhh lawd me hear bout nuff party deh goh awn up deh weh high-up pipple could goh get dem freak on, if yu know weh ah mean. Me hear pic-cha wah start circulate soon cause Mason lee babes done get instructions fu release. You think dih dolly house deh shake now? Wait till yu get the real stats ah weh midi go awn dah dih hilltop mansion. If yu tink I deh joke, just rememba da pic-cha weh midi circulate dih other day – dih one weh look like wah big whale deh pon wah bed but ih noh gat no weelo? Okay then. Dah pic-cha deh supposed to tek right dah the hilltop afta one ah dih drunken party dem. Yuh sih my bally John-John like tek ih lee likka but yuh neva sih he deh circle with normal pipple. He always deh circle with his boys. Check out dih movements. Me deh hear lotta thing bout he and happenings up inna datideh house pon dih hill. Me hear Mason used to cook wah lotta romantic candlelight dinna fu he nuff nights. Okay den if yu noh believe me. Dih truth shall set you free.

Police Baffled as Murders Continue Unabated
Murders continue to traumatize communities across the nation while the Government of Belize plays ostrich. Rural Executive Division Police have no murderer and are searching for a motive to provide some clues in the brazen murder of a Hattieville resident who operated a club on the Phillip Goldson Highway. On Friday, at around 10:30pm Nathan Underwood, 38, was shot multiple times to the back as he worked inside his kitchen at Nate’s Cool Spot located at Mile 21 in Gardenia in the Belize District. Investigations indicate that one person went around the rear of the establishment and fired at least 11 shells through a rear window. Underwood died instantly. Police got the call shortly after, and arrived before 11:00pm. According to Inspector Juanito Cocom, Officer Commanding Ladyville, “they observed the lifeless body of a dark complexion male person lying down on the floor of the kitchen with multiple shot wounds to the back. He was later identified as Nathan Underwood, 38 years old, of a Hattieville address. Initial investigations reveal that he was alone in his kitchen when a lone gunman came from behind the building and fired several shots at him through the window causing the fatal injuries. The scene was visited, processed and eleven expended shells were recovered”.

Chamber encourages Good Governance and Anti-Corruption Measures
In Pillar II of our Business Sustainability Agenda presented to all political leaders just before the 2015 general elections, the Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry (“the BCCI”) called for measures to combat corruption and strengthen the rule of law. Those measures are more important than ever today, if we are to rebuild Belize’s economy and her reputation as a safe and stable country. Anti-corruption laws, including campaign finance reform, must be implemented and applied visibly, impartially and indiscriminately from the top down and across the board. Belize has to adopt international conventions and implement laws that instill transparency in all facets of the government. It is imperative that Government take charge of Belize’s current security crisis by aggressively implementing changes that will restore citizens’ sense of safety and change the international perception of engraved corruption and the lack of rule of law in Belize.

El Cambio Viene
Saludos nuevamente, departe de su amigo David Jesús Castillo líder representante del Partido Unido del Pueblo en Corozal Norte. Primeramente debo darle las gracias a todo los candidatos que se postularon para las elecciones de concilio que concluyo hace dos semanas. Todos ustedes Señoras y Señores son verdaderamente un orgullo para nuestro partido y en las diferentes comunidades de Corozal Norte. De igual manera, tomo la oportunidad de agradecer a todos los partidarios y votantes que apoyaron a los diferentes equipos del PUP. Cada persona que participo fue instrumental para mostrar la fuerza del Partido Unido del Pueblo Hace un poco más de seis meses sufrimos una derrota en las elecciones generales, como constituencia y a nivel nacional. ¡Se vio el Poder del Dinero! Lamentablemente la necesidad que sufre el pueblo le dio la oportunidad al UDP una vez más y esto se reflejo de igual manera en las elecciones de concilio.

Blogs

Week Four of Summer Camp Basil Jones on North Ambergris – Kids & The Gorgeous Reef
Just before the northernmost resort on Ambergris Caye is a camp site. A few cabins, an inside/outside kitchen (inside prep-outside cooking), some picnic tables and hammocks on some of the most gorgeous seafront in the world. Less than one mile hike north, you hit one of the few places of earth where a coral reef hits land. With the reef RIGHT THERE, you can hear the dull roar of the waves day and night. For four weeks, Mito Paz, the organizer, Mr. Lincoln, from the Belize Department of Youth Services and Raul, chef and jack-of-all-trades, have been running a summer kids’ camp. Each week, devoted to a different group from Belize – 1. Belize City 2. Orange Walk (The North) 3. Benque Viejo (The Far West) 4. San Pedro & Caye Caulker. BelizeKids.Org (I am a member) was super proud to raise money in conjunction with Finn & Martini Lounge and Restaurant for all of week four. And to donate 20 sets of new sheets and 8 fans, so that camp would be more comfortable.

International Sourcesizz

What I Learned When I Quit My Job, Moved To The Caribbean, And Became My Own Boss
A few months ago, I packed up my life in San Francisco and moved to Belize to be an expat entrepreneur. Much of my new lifestyle includes what I expected it to—a slower pace, more time to enjoy hobbies, a deeper tan, and a greater sense of community (since I’m living on a small Caribbean island) than the one I got used to in Silicon Valley. But I’ve quickly learned, too, that living and working full-time (in my case, as a content strategist) in a developing country comes with unexpected challenges, especially for someone who's spent over a decade living and working in a buzzing tech hub. From navigating random power blackouts and vastly different communication tools to learning how to self-motivate while working steps from the beach, building a business in Belize has shown me there are tradeoffs between its many upsides and the comforts and routine of the American office. I spent so much energy just preparing to move out of the U.S. that I didn’t have much time to consider just how different my new surroundings would be and how my lifestyle—and my working style—might become. Here's what I learned in just my first month in Belize about the relative upsides and downsides to setting up your own online freelance or consulting business in a remote location.

Where past fuels the present
Forests, hills and a dose of history — Belize in Central America is quite similar to its neighbouring countries, yet quite different. Its culture and society is a reflection of a mixed heritage comprising the traditions of the ancient Maya People as well as its past as a British colony. You’ll find Mestizos, Creoles, Garinagu, Mopan Mayas and people from several other ethnic groups. The country was once under the control of the Spanish, and later moved to British hands. Belize’s culture is heavily influenced by the English, unlike many other Latin American countries where Portuguese and Spanish culture is evident. Belize has been venue to several conflicts and battles for control over the land’s resources, especially Mahogany and logwood. It became an independent country as recently as 1981 and is now a parliamentary democracy. Owing to its British legacy, it is part of the Commonwealth and Queen Elizabeth II is the country’s head of state. She is represented by a Governor- General who is from Belize. If you want to spot Belize on the map, look south of Mexico. The country is bound by Mexico to the north, Guatemala to the west and the Caribbean Sea to the east.

Atlantic tropical drought may end in Caribbean Sea this week
A tropical wave tracking through the Caribbean Sea this week will raise the potential for activity in the Atlantic Basin. While the eastern Pacific Ocean has been busy, the Atlantic Basin hasn't had a tropical storm since Danielle roamed the Bay of Campeche in late June. "Weak disturbances have been moving westward from Africa over the past couple of months," AccuWeather Hurricane Expert Dan Kottlowski said. "Up to this point, there has been too much dry air and dust from the Sahara Desert for these systems to develop." Dry air is common during June and July over much of the Atlantic.

Heavy Rain & Gusty Winds as Caribbean Wave Moves W/NW
Two tropical waves continue to move west over the Atlantic. Wave #1 (97L) is speeding west/slightly northwest across the Caribbean. Fast moving waves generally have a difficult time organizing, & this one is no exception. While convection has been pretty impressive at times, there is little in the way of a true surface reflection. In addition, an upper low to the north & west & inducing a good deal of shear 30-40+ mph. As the wave slows through the upcoming week & the shear decreases, the system will have an opportunity for some strengthening though any land interaction looks to play a major role too. The ultimate track looks to be toward Belize & the Yucatan Peninsula then the SW Gulf of Mexico (Bay of Campeche) then west into Mexico through late week. The upper level high pressure area that's helped keep the First Coast dry & hot in recent weeks will help steer this wave well south & west of Florida so there will be NO impacts on Jacksonville/Northeast Fl./Southeast Ga.

Rap music used to preserve Maya language in the Yucatan Peninsula
A group of young men from the Yucatan Peninsula, use hip hop and rap to preserve and promote their native tongue: Maya. According to data from INEGI (National Institute of Statistics and Geography), there are currently more than 780,000 people that speak Maya as a native tongue. And according to data from aboutworldlanguages.com a total of five million individuals practice it on a daily basis in Mexico, Guatemala and Belize. But a “crew” of eight young men of Maya descent decide to express themselves through rap music, communicating with people all over the world, that probably would have never heard the language, if it wasn’t for the virality of social media. On Wednesday May 4 2016, the song’s video “Estoy Contento” (I am happy) from the rap group “Tiho-rappers Crew” was posted on YouTube, it went viral, and today it has over 2.5 million reproductions.

Caverns, Cenotes, and Blue Holes – Natural Overhead Environments
Caverns present unique diving opportunities enjoyed by many divers, however it is one that leads to deaths for many untrained divers. Nine out of ten divers who die in natural overhead environments lack any formal training in cavern or cave diving. These deaths include open water dive instructors without cave experience who venture into caves. Caverns represents an natural overhead environment, similar to the overhead environment of a wreck in that the diver can not ascend directly to the surface. Natural overhead environments create special risk that can be better managed when a diver is properly equipped and trained. The risk become greater as a diver progresses from a cavern to a cave. Many of the cavern sites prohibit the use of lights by divers who are not certified to dive a cavern as a means to discourage untrained divers to go into the overhead environment. Caverns are found throughout the world and it is often easy for any diver to slip into one. I am sure most divers have slipped into a overhead environment at one time or another. A swim through might only be a few meters long and many will not consider it an danger. However, longer spaces do need the special training. Coral reefs will often have long tunnels that really fall into the cavern category. Some of the best cavern dives are in freshwater. While caverns can be found anywhere there are a few locations known for their caverns and caves.

Why is a Subterranean Watercourse beneath a Mayan Temple?
In the fascinating field of Mexican archaeology, there are constant new discoveries being made, which in turn lead to new questions. For example, INAH (Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia), the Mexican federal department in charge of archaeology, announced a new find at the Mayan site of Palenque, in the state of Chiapas. What they found was an underground channel for water located under the Temple of the Inscriptions. Why? Well, as it turns out there’s a possible answer. Mexico’s Excelsior describes it as “the recent discovery of a system of channels in the subsoil of the Temple of the Inscriptions. It also runs by the burial chamber of the ruler of Palenque” (that is, Pacal the Great). Apparently it doesn’t exactly connect with the tomb. The director of the Palenque project is Arnoldo Gonzalez Cruz, who has a possible explanation for the channel system. Gonzalez Cruz thinks that the channel system could be near the tomb to represent the route that Pacal’s subjects believed would take their deceased ruler to the waters of the underworld.

Videos

• MARIL FAST FOOD, Punta Gorda, 1/2min.

• Costa Maya contestants at Hol Chan Marine Reserve, 5min.

• The Costa Maya contestants are having the time of their lives swimming with friendly sharks at Hol Chan Marine Reserve!, 1min.

• The party continues aboard the YOLO boat with the Reina de la Costa Maya contestants!,1/2 min.

• Costa Maya delegates swim with the Sharks at Hol Chan Marine Reserve, 23min.

• Belize 2k16, 3min.

• Cruizin Belize, 10min. Take a drive with us through "BEAUTIFUL" Belize...

• Belize, Summer 2016, 7.5min. Vacation to San Pedro, Belize in summer of 2016 filmed with GoPro Hero 4 Silver, and GoPro Hero 3 Black.

• Belize 2016 Compilation, 10min. How I spent Summer 2016 in Belize.

• Crossing the Belize/Guatemala border, 4min. A step-by-step look at how to take a rental car across the border from Belize to Guatemala.