Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#516376 - 08/01/16 06:51 PM The Office of the PM Announces Changes in the Cabinet
Marty Offline
The Office of the Prime Minister announces the following Cabinet changes:

The Police, BDF and Coastguard will no longer be housed together under one composite Ministry of National Security. Instead, there will be two separate Ministries - a standalone Ministry of the Police, with responsibility solely for that Department; and a Ministry of Defence, with responsibility for the BDF and Coastguard.

Senator Honourable Godwin Hulse will be the new Minister for the Police, and the Honourable John Saldivar will be Minister of Defence. Senator Hulse will also continue as Minister of Immigration, but will relinquish the Natural Resources portfolio. In his stead, the Honourable Attorney General Vanessa Retreage will additionally become Minister of Natural Resources. This will take place as soon as the Attorney General can be sworn in as a Senator.

The Office of the Prime Minister confirms that, at this time, all other current Ministerial assignments will remain unchanged.

#516392 - 08/02/16 10:38 AM Re: The Office of the PM Announces Changes in the Cabinet [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

The Story Behind The Saldivar Shuffle

On Friday at a press briefing, the Prime Minister said he would not move National Security Minister John Saldivar unless he saw some credible evidence that suggested he had acted in a corrupt or criminal fashion. Well, today he removed the police department from John Saldivar's portfolio - leaving him with the Coast Guard and the BDF in what will now be known as the Ministry of Defence. The police department goes over to Minister Godwin Hulse, who leaves Natural Resources to Attorney General Vanessa Retreage.

So now that the Prime Minister has stripped Saldivar of the police department - does that mean that the PM has come upon some evidence directly implicating his minister? Today the Prime Minister held a press conference to explain why he moved Saldivar:..

Rt. Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister
"I said on Friday that at that juncture I was not prepared to move because optics aside, I did not think that anything that Minister Saldivar did amounted criminality or corruption. Nothing since Friday has occurred to make me depart from that point of view. But as was made clear in the question and answer session that we had on Friday, the optics also include the fact that while I have not run a poll and while I don't have any scientific evidence for saying this, the optics make clear that the public perception is that is untenable for Minister Saldivar to continue to head the police ministry in the current circumstances."

"Minister Saldivar has made clear that he terminated that relationship in September. He said this long ago at that first press conference. He has continue to maintain that position. He said maybe he is off by a few days, a week or so. But he assures me that contrary to some of the things that are being said he did not maintain a relationship with Mr. Mason through to as I have heard it the end of last year and some people say even extending into his year. I also indicated to you on Friday if that turns out not to be true, if in fact evidence and I mean evidence is unearthed, presented to me that would show conclusively that the minister continued in a relationship with Mr. Mason way beyond the point where he has assured me he'd stop, then that's an entirely different matter. I repeat what I'd said to you on Friday - if that ever happens, that's a whole different conversation."

"In fact let me be absolutely straight forward and blunt - the minister understands and accepts that if that were to happen, he would have to leave the cabinet entirely and he is perfectly at ease with that, because he insists that the facts are the facts and that those facts are that he did not continue his association with Mr. Mason."

Channel 7

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 53 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,371 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.