Print Thread
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
Marty #516657 08/07/16 05:13 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

HURRICANE EARL RELIEF OPERATIONS

SITUATION REPORT #1

As at 8:00 p.m., 6th August, 2016

1. SITUATION. NEMO response to the aftermath of Category 1 Hurricane Earl continues with focus primarily on providing immediate relief to the affected people, the restoration of critical lifeline facilities, operational normalcy at all ports, and assessments of agriculture, fisheries, transportation, utilities, communication, infrastructure, housing, cultural, and environmental situation.

2. PEOPLE IN SHELTER. 164. San Pedro and Caye Caulker- 9 persons in San Pedro High School; Belize City- 78 persons in Unity Presbyterian, St. John’s Vianney, Queen Square is closed; and St. Luke; Cayo. Teakettle-16 persons; More tomorrow- 15 persons; St. Matthews- 31 persons; and Cotton Tree- 15 persons.

3. FOOD/WATER RELIEF OPERATIONS. NEMO National Relief and Supplies Management Committee (RSMC) through NEMO warehouses distributed thousands of emergency food packs and water as part of the immediate relief for the affected population. Other relief supplies such as tarps, plastic sheeting, in various quantities have also been distributed. The BDF is providing hot meals in Belize City and Ladyville and surrounding communities.

4. UTILITIES RESTORATION

a. WATER. Rural Water Systems UPDATE: Santa Familia not yet operational, and concerns with water quality (turbidity) due flooding at Billy White and Bullet Tree, Cayo. All other district water systems have resumed normal operations. Emergency water relief is being organized for those in need. Harvesting of rainwater is always encouraged.

b. BWS. Belmopan and San Pedro are operating in low water pressure mode, as BWSL continues to repair leaks in those systems. Water systems in rural Belize District still lack electricity, therefore running on generators.

c. ELECTRICITY. BEL UPDATE – At the start of the day 86% of all customers in the country have electricity; update as of today 92%. Corozal, Orange Walk Dangriga, Independence and Punta Gorda have had electric service fully restored. Belize City, Belmopan, San Ignacio, San Pedro and Caye Caulker have had all their primary circuits restored. However, there may be localized low-voltage (LV) circuits still not repaired. Ladyville Feeder 3 (Airport & Met Office Energized) and portions of Feeder 1 & 2:- [George Price Hwy] from Belize City to Mile 8 and from [Philip Goldson Hwy] Belize City to Billy Musa’s residence.

d. BEL Damage Estimates– Belize City/Ladyville Service Area:-Primary network:- 93 leaning structures, 24 broken structures, 75 hardware assembly damaged. Secondary network:- 61 leaning structures, 12 broken structures, 42 hardware assembly damaged, 30 vegetation interventions

e. Telecommunications. Speednet–In Belize City Channel 5 site is repaired, while the Renaissance tower site expected to be repaired by Sunday. Fix will restore coverage to entire Belize City. Independence site that was damaged Tuesday due to thunderstorm has been restored. Hopkins, Big Falls, and San Pedro North sites are fully functional power supply issues were resolved today. Two towers near JB on George Price Highway is down and currently undergoing repairs.

f. BTL UPDATE -Customers in the following areas are experiencing little or no mobile voice or data service due to cell site outages (with estimated restoration times). Lucky Strike (Saturday, 6 pm). The cell site at Burrell Boom was completely destroyed. (August 16th uptime). Customers in the following areas are experienced limited or degraded services due to cell site outages. The cell site at Love FM was completely destroyed, therefore surrounding neighborhoods may be affected (August 16th uptime). BTL is aware that there are a number of cut and hanging landlines impacting some Customers and Neighborhoods. Actual numbers not available at this time.

g. Fuel Distribution. Sufficient Fuel oil stocks available for immediate relief phase once electricity is restored to the fuel stations. Some of the aforementioned information will be upgraded.

5. DAMAGE ASSESSMENT. Immediate humanitarian relief assessments are in their final stage. There are a few communities with gaps that are being addressed. A separate longer economic impact assessment will follow the immediate relief assessments.

6. CLEAN UP. Clean up continues in Belize City, Ladyville and surrounding communities.

7. HOUSEHOLD AND MATERIAL RELIEF OPERATIONS will commence as soon as the information is compiled and verified.

8. FLOOD OPERATIONS. NEMO continues to warn people living along the Mopan and Macal rivers to stay alert. People in the Belize District along the Belize River needs to be prepared for flooding and to continue taking the necessary actions. Flood waters are swelling the river banks and people living in the following villages must continue take immediate flood response actions:

Areas of concern are:

Cayo District - Arenal; Succothz; Calla Creek; La Clarissa; Siete Millas; Barton Creek; San Marcos; Billy White; Central Farm; Buena Vista; Providencien; Ramonal; Paslow Falls, Bullet Tree Falls; Santa Familia, Branch Mouth, villages along the George Price Highway, Roaring Creek and More Tomorrow.

Belize River Valley - Bomba, Maskall, St. Anns; Santana; Lucky Strike; Rockstone Pond and Boston Crooked Tree. Also of concern is St. Paul’s Bank; Willows Bank; Rancho Doleres; Double Head Cabbage;

Bermudian Landing; Lemonal; Isabela Bank; Flowers Bank; May Pen; Scotland half-moon; Burrel Boom; Lord’s Bank; and Ladyville.

People living in La Democracia; coastal highway community; Gales Point; Mullins River; Gracie Rock; Hattieville; Freetown Sibun, and Butcher Burns are advised to take note.

Road conditions: The road to Challilo is becoming impassable to staff going to the Dams. MOW assistance is being urgently requested. Spanish lookout via Baking Pot Ferry and Iguana Creek Bridge are impassable at this time. The access route through Bullet Tree Falls village via the Bullet Tree Bridge is impassable. The Roaring Creek Bridge remains open. The wooden bridge in San Ignacio across the Macal River is closed. In Maskal the river is 2.5 ft., under the bridge and in Bomba area it is up about 3 feet. The Manatee road is flooded at the bridge coming from the George Price Highway, access is open from the Hope Creek junction.

People living in these flood prone areas are being strongly encouraged to seek safety and move to higher grounds to protect life. Seek shelter with families or friends or go to a community shelter. MOVE OUT of areas that are likely to flood. Protect life first. Stay away from flood waters. Farmers with livestock take the necessary actions and seek safety and move them to higher grounds. Do not: cross flood waters, especially at night.

AIDS TO NAVIGATION

Mariners are advised to exercise extreme caution while navigating in the territorial waters of Belize. The Authority is currently working on restoring all Aids to Navigation in the channels which shifted due to Hurricane Earl.

Do not listen to rumours! AT THE TIME OF THIS REPORT THERE IS NO TROPICAL CYCLONE THREAT TO BELZE. Continue to listen to your local radio and television for further advisories from NEMO.

San Ignacio flood

A drone piloted by Oscar Quiroz of San Ignacio Town shows a comprehensive aerial view of the flooding that happened in San Ignacio and Santa Elena.

As you will see in the video, the flooding is unprecedented and shows areas like the San Ignacio Market and parts of down town San Ignacio under water.

Quiroz also captures the flooding in Bullet Tree Village.

Marty #516660 08/07/16 05:37 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
BEL is offering the services of licensed electricians, to conduct inspection and repairs of damaged service entrances caused by Hurricane Earl. Call 0.800.BEL.CARE (0-800-235-2273) for more information.

Belize Electricity Limited advises customers who have damaged service entrances due to Hurricane Earl, that they can apply to BEL for help.

BEL is offering the services of licensed electricians, contracted by the Company, to conduct inspection and repairs of damaged service entrances. Interested customers must apply and agree to pay the cost in three (3) monthly instalments added to their next electricity bills.

BEL reminds customers that service entrances, which are required for safe and proper connection to BEL's electricity supply, are the property and responsibility of customers.

Interested customers may call 0.800.BEL.CARE (0-800-235-2273) for more information.

==============================

SPBE WATER TAXI IS PLEASED TO ANNOUNCED THAT THEY ARE FULLY OPERATIONAL. PROCEEDING WITH FULL SCHEDULE.( see link below)

at the moment you can find us at:

San Pedro: Main Pier, located by Daddy Rocks

Caye Caulker: back pier , next to Caribena Gas Station

‪#‎SEEYOUSOON‬, ‪#‎THEBEST‬ ‪#‎MOSTDAILYRUNS‬

http://www.belizewatertaxi.com/schedule

Ocean Ferry:

10:30 Belize City to Caye Caulker and San Pedro

11:15 Caye Caulker to San Pedro

12:30 San Pedro to Caye Caulker and Belize City

1:00 Caye Caulker to Belize City

Check with offices for rest of day schedule.

Marty #516661 08/07/16 06:10 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Hurricane Earl Flood Pictures

Hurricane Earl came to Cayo.  Nobody was hurt, luckily, but some trees were knocked down, and it flooded some on Thursday.  Daniel Velazquez captured some amazing photos of the flooding, and the people of Cayo out enjoying the amazing post-hurricane weather.  Be safe.

Damon Russell got some good pictures too, as did Miriam, and Sera.

The Cayo Welcome Center got some good pictures.

"after a crazy night, went into town did some photography of Hurricane earl flood and had some beers, ran into a old Peace Corps friend, from 20 years back."

Adventure in Belize

Hurricane Earl strikes San Pedro, Belize during tropical vacation. August, 2016.

Marty #516662 08/07/16 06:21 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Local Blogs....

Storms, Surge, and Hurricanes
This is the first Sunday I've not had to work in some capacity in...well...like 2 years. It's felt pretty weird really. I've even gone over to the "shop" a couple of times - maybe subconsciously hoping it would magically be there this time, but nay not really. I fancy myself who accepts whats happened pretty quickly and already am planning for the next phase before the seas let the sands settle. Don't get me wrong - the destruction of your business is not an easy thing to witness; but crying never cleaned spilled milk. Strength and determination in the face of adversity is what must be brought to the table. So we brought it. In case you've missed what happened over the past few days I'll give you a brief catch up - Hurricane Earl hit Belize; only a category 1, but it doesn't mean Mother Nature didn't inflict a lot of damage. We saw about 8 feet of storm surge and 75 mile per hour winds. There were 24 foot waves crashing on the barrier reef; had that reef not been there we would've all been swimming for sure. Who wants a day by day? Well here it is -

A Few Days of Hurricane Earl Aftermath and 2 Donation Options
The country of Belize is still recovering from Hurricane Earl and will be for a while in spite of our ever present resilience and bounce back abilities. The category 1 storm with maximum winds at approximately 80 mph left thousands facing massive cleanup and caused millions of dollars in damages countrywide. Earl made landfall just south of Belize City, not long after after being upgraded from a tropical storm to a category one hurricane. The effects were being felt on the islands and coastal areas of Belize from late evening Wednesday, August 3 with the hard hit being very early Thursday August 4th. Homes in San Mateo suffered a great deal of damage. About six were completely leveled and a few more had severe damaged. San Pedro Red Cross is currently working with NEMO to assist the affected persons here on the island. However because of the magnitude of damages inland, Belize Red Cross is focusing on the mainland more and has stepped back to allow NEMO take the lead on the island. They are however sending staff from Headquarters to talk to the affected families, and provide disaster comping strategies.

The Power of the Surge: Category One Hurricane Earl's Mark on North Ambergris Caye
I arrived back in San Pedro late yesterday afternoon to power on the island (the good news) and a huge, heartbreaking mess on the beach. We made our way up north and this morning I took a walk (and a wade) - from the house at Mile 7 down to about Mile 6 on North Ambergris Caye. Before that, a few pictures of the very swollen rivers on the mainland that I flew over - especially around Spanish Lookout where all the land is cleared for farming. Trees all down or submerged in the muddy water. On Ambergris Caye, I am absolutely amazed how powerful the storm surge was - even a Category One storm, even with our barrier reef. The house is about 250 feet back from the ocean with lots of trees and shrubs in between. Now this�

Heredia's take on the damage from Hurricane Earl . . . and more
As many as 400 San Pedro residents sought refuge in the town's three shelters during the Category 1 hurricane Earl, Tourism Minister Manuel Heredia Jr. told Channel 7 News Belize. The minister, who also serves as San Pedro's NEMO chairman, added that there were "about 6 homes that were totally destroyed and another 3 or 4 that were extensively damaged." Heredia told Channel 7 that the "obvious" damage was seaside where "practically 90% of the piers are either gone or extensively damaged. The dive shops, likewise, I would believe that it's only two or three that are standing, but not in a very good shape also. Beach erosion was terrible over here." 7News also reports that some northern resorts, including Costa Blue, X'tan Ha and Saphire Beach have closed temporarily for repairs.

Hurricane Earl forces water taxis to shift to alternate piers . . . and more
On Friday, the police and Coast Guard were reportedly chasing San Pedro Express Water Taxi - one of our lifelines to Caye Caulker and Belize City - off the Municipal Pier in front of Central Park, San Pedro. Today the water taxi had a canopy set up with benches from the old dock. Boats were pulling in and out of the pier slips, horns blaring. Business as usual. Even the schedule is back to normal, according to taxi staff on the pier.

After Earl: Trying to recall what was where, and is no more
How did so many well-built docks disappear? My uneducated theory: The winds blew north to south, the waves and surge crashed in east to west. The combination set up a corkscrew motion that lifted and twisted the piers away from their pilings. Of course once whole piers were plunging into the sea, the debris set off a domino effect, crashing pier to pier until there was nothing but lumber landing on shore. That's what I'm thinking. Our own waterfront ended up with huge amounts of lumber, some that went through the glass doors of several first floor condos. Our closest neighbor has sent a crew over to retrieve what remains of his commercial, dive-shop dock. It is easy to spot his lumber - it is all brand new, still green. The dock had hardly been up more than a few months. It really sticks out from the rest of the weathered and sea-butchered logs and lumber.

An Ambergris Caye classic lost to the storm: Turtleman's House
The Turtleman's House has been a landmark on this island for a very long time. Greg (well known for his conservation work) actually lived in a house over the water for about 20 years before I met him 20 years ago. It has been the subject of paintings and photo shoots for years. Having a structure over the water in a hurricane area means that you have to accept the loss when it occurs . We lost my favorite house to hurricane Mitch in '98, and then two others for hurricanes Keith and Dean. It was rebuilt each time because we needed it for our ecotourism business. We don't have the business anymore, but it still hurts that the quaint little house is now gone due to hurricane Earl. Many people have lost their business this week, and my heart goes out to them.

Ambergris Caye, Belize: The Storm Has Passed and We Are Open For Business
Here are the facts: We are open for business and the best way to support our beloved island is to visit - eat, go on tours, drink and have a great time. Talk to your hotel. There are a few that are closed for clean-up. But most are open and ready. (Not to trick you into coming to a help them clean or to sleep in a room full of sand, I mean READY) If you have never been here, here is the list of 11 Things You MUST Do on Your First Visit to Ambergris Caye. Today, three full days after Earl, you can do 10/11 - Palapa Bar, the famous dock over the water, was very sadly washed away (though I know they will rebuild). Almost all of the restaurants, bars, tours are up and ready to go. The sharks are waiting for you.

I'm On My Way, What Should I Expect?
Many of you are on the fence about your vacation plans. So far of the 10 or so people that have asked me all of then have decided to come. While it is true not everything may be open and there are many less docks to walk on, we are largely moving forward at a great pace. By coming down and supporting the local economy you will be helping the community through a trying time. You will have a great time and see just how resilient and strong our community is in the face of Mother Nature and forces beyond our control. Since the storm the skies have been bright blue interspersed with big white fluffy clouds. The first set of pictures are some that I took from my roof top yesterday. The second set below are even better for aerial pictures as they cover thew whole island.

Lessons from Earl: No. 1, Not all disasters are alike
When almost an entire block on Middle Street in San Pedro went up in flames in June - leaving 66 people homeless and a number of businesses crippled or wiped out - the whole world responded with unconditional generosity. Certainly the whole of Ambergris Caye did. Scores of volunteers stepped in to help clear away debris. They didn't ask which rubble belonged to homes and which to businesses. The amount of clothing and food donated could be calculated in tonnage and by the size of the hearts of the people on Ambergris Caye. Barges and planes brought in even more aid from the mainland. A significant amount of cash was raised in numerous and imaginative ways. Nobody designated their dollars to go to specific people or businesses. People just gave - time, money, food, clothing, shelter. Hurricane Earl is different. Or it seems that way.

A day on Caye Caulker Belize after Hurricane Earl
So I hoped or hopped (I'm really bad about knowing the number of consonants in words - so whichever one of those means "I got on buy jumping"�although I didn't literally jump) on an Ecologic Divers day sail over the Caye Caulker, as I wanted to meander around a bit and get a feel for their "Earl recovery". My first impression was that things looked great. The debris had been cleaned up, and while a few buildings were 'misplaced' and many docks in extremely rough shape - my feeling was that they had done better than Ambergris Caye. Mainly judging the docks; yes some were gone, many were damaged, but my basic (and very unskilled estimation) was that they had a much higher dock survival rate than AC. Then I got a bit more into things and realized they still have some big issues. Most noticeably is the sand - the road is a foot or more higher in some places; people still shoveling out, and even some road side stands that appear to be builtwe for access by people shorter than 5′ only. Another very significant issue is the lack of current (that's a Belizean term for electricity) to a good portion of the island. Crews were hard a work in several places. The most obvious damage was at the Split - the whole area was fenced off�though the gate was open so I helped myself to a tour! The game area was washed away, the front sun deck gone, the shallow water palapa tables gone, the beach side seating gone; at least there were lots of people at work to repair it all. Lots of sand and supplies were being brought in.

Amandala

Earl the destroyer
Residents of the hurricane-struck zone of Central Belize, and primarily those living in the Belize District area-the offshore cayes, Belize City, Ladyville and the Belize River Valley-are still trying to put their lives back together after Earl ripped through the country on Wednesday night and early Thursday morning. An official tally of Earl's toll on Belize is still pending; thankfully, no deaths have been attributed to the hurricane in Belize, although 6 deaths resulted from a storm-related incident on Sunday in the Dominican Republic. In Belize, hundreds of distress calls were made as Hurricane Earl pounded Belize, leaving many homes as well as public buildings roofless-or at least with partial roof damage. The trail of destruction led as far as Belize's westernmost town of Benque Viejo del Carmen. Earl uprooted large trees; downed large billboards and signs, as well as public bus stops; compromised light poles and pulled apart high tension cables, leaving thousands without power even a day after the all-clear had been declared. According to the National Hurricane Center in Miami, the center of Earl made landfall just southwest of Belize City, Belize near midnight. The last reports from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft recoded flight-level wind of 85 knots or 97.8 miles per hour. It estimated landfall intensity at 70 knots or 80 miles per hour, although many Belizeans believe that the storm at times packed much stronger winds.

Earl causes losses of over $100 million in agriculture
Earl's toll on Belize's economy is over $100 million, Jose Alpuche, Chief Executive Officer in the Ministry of Agriculture, told Amandala today. "What we have right now indicates $100 million worth of damage, because when we factor in the main affected subsectors - bananas, corn, and vegetables-corn, as I had said, was in the region of $49 million worth of losses, bananas will probably be within the region of about $40 million, and the rest takes us over $100 million in damages," Alpuche said. This is bad news, especially against the backdrop of reports from the Statistical Institute of Belize which indicated that Belize's main export sectors-which include banana-have been contracting. We asked Alpuche how far the damage extended, and he said that they extend from the southeast portion of the Corozal District down to northern Toledo District. He noted that to date there is no estimated dollar figure for citrus. He told us that there were reports of fruit drops from the wind and the reports vary quite a bit.

Earl impacted more than 110,000 children in Belize: UNICEF
The frightfulness of howling winds and pounding rains emanating from a fierce hurricane such as Earl is enough to traumatize a child. In fact, according to a report released today by the United Nations' Children's Fund (UNICEF), three-fourths of Belize's children, amounting to more than 110,000 children, 27,000 of them being younger than age 5, were affected by Hurricane Earl. The hurricane struck Belize on Wednesday night and early Thursday morning with its impacts being felt along a span of about 150 miles, covering most of Belize, with impacts concentrated across four of Belize's six districts. "The damage caused by Hurricane Earl has put the safety-and even lives-of Belize's most vulnerable children in immediate danger," said UNICEF Belize representative Ivan Yerovi. UNICEF said that it has conducted an initial assessment of damage caused by Earl in some of the most vulnerable communities located in Southside Belize City.

Editorial: The surprising and cruel Mister Earl
From one perspective, Belize City, the nation's population center, finally ran out of hurricane luck on Wednesday night/Thursday morning, August 3/4 of 2016, after 55 years of relatively cool runnings since October 31 of 1961. On that night in 1961, for those few of you who don't know, a ferocious Category 5 lady named Hattie visited, uninvited of course, the then capital city, and life, ma Cherie, has really never been the same. For sure there's been many a scare since Hattie, but no one since then ever made the impression Mr. Earl did this week. Back in 1978, Greta created substantial insurance opportunities for clever claimants, but she was a mere 80 miles an hour. Hattie was double that. In 1998, the terrifying Mitch was Hattie-like in power, and perhaps even worse, but Mitch veered southward to Honduras at the last minute. Richard in 2010 was supposed to be 100 miles an hour, but when we compare him with Earl this week, Richard was a boy masquerading as a man. Call me MISTER Earl. Early in the history of this storm, we were minded of Greta, because we believe in projecting worst case scenarios in these matters. When who became Earl was a mere tropical wave of 40 miles an hour, the proverbial "area of disturbed weather" fooling around below Hispaniola in the Eastern Caribbean, a Greta prognosis was our worst case scenario. The thing was, even as an unnamed meteorological phenomenon, this storm always made it clear, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that its destination was Belize, and by the time anonymous became Earl, a named tropical storm, late Tuesday or early Wednesday, he was saying it loud: Belize City is what I want and where I am going.

Marty #516667 08/07/16 01:05 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

14 Aerial images of San Pedro after Hurricane Earl taken August 6, 2016
by Astrum Helicopter

HURRICANE EARL RELIEF OPERATIONS SITUATION REPORT #2

4:00 p.m., 7th August, 2016

1. SITUATION. Immediate relief to the affected people and restoration of critical lifeline facilities

2. PEOPLE IN SHELTER: 164. San Pedro and Caye Caulker has 9 persons in San Pedro High School; Belize City has 78 persons in Unity Presbyterian, St. John's Vianney, and St. Luke. In Cayo Teakettle has 16 persons in shelter; More tomorrow still has 15 persons; St. Matthews has 31 persons; and Cotton Tree has 15 persons.

3. FOOD/WATER RELIEF OPERATIONS. NEMO National Relief and Supplies Management Committee

(RSMC) through NEMO warehouses continue to distribute emergency food packs, tarps and plastic sheeting. BATSUB, BDF and UNICEF have been assisting people in the shelters. The Belize Red Cross, and USAID are supporting NEMO.

4. UTILITIES RESTORATION:

a. WATER. Rural Water Systems UPDATE: Santa Familia system is still down, emergency water relief is being organized for those in need. Harvesting of rainwater is always encouraged. Bullet Tree Falls water system is now working. Sand Hill water situation is being addressed by BEL. The water main that supplies Philip Goldson is now at normal pressure. Double Run main water system has electricity.

b. BWS - Belmopan and San Pedro are operating in low water pressure mode, as BWSL continues to repair leaks in those systems. Water systems in rural Belize District still lack electricity, therefore running on generators.

c. ELECTRICITY - BEL UPDATE. Today BEL concentrated on restoring power from Sand Hill to Maskall, Crooked Tree, Burrell Boom and surrounding communities; Boom road to Flowers Bank to Rancho and the remainder of caye caulker. There will be intermittent outages due to connections.

e. Telecommunications Speed net - In Belize City Channel 5 site is repaired, while the Renaissance tower site expected to be repaired by Sunday. Independence site that was damaged Tuesday due to thunderstorm has been restored. Hopkins, Big Falls, and San Pedro North sites are fully functional power supply issues were resolved today. Two towers near JB on George Price Highway is down and currently undergoing repairs.

f. BTL UPDATE - Customers in the following areas are experiencing little or no mobile voice or data service due to cell site outages (with estimated restoration times). Lucky Strike (Saturday, 6 pm). The cell site at Burrell Boom was completely destroyed. (August 16th uptime). Customers in the following areas are experienced limited or degraded services due to cell site outages. The cell site at Love FM was completely destroyed, therefore surrounding neighbourhoods may be affected (August 16th uptime). BTL is aware that there are a number of cut and hanging landlines impacting some customers and neighbourhoods. Actual numbers not available at this time.

g. Sufficient Fuel oil stocks available.

5. DAMAGE ASSESSMENT: Immediate humanitarian relief assessments are in their final stages. There are a few communities with gaps that are being addressed.

6. CLEAN UP: Clean up in the city under Councillor Willoughby and CEMO continues daily until early morning. More people are ask to clean up their area and use the free resources offered by the downed vegetation.

7. HOUSEHOLD AND MATERIAL RELIEF OPERATIONS to commence this week.

FLOOD OPERATIONS: People in the Belize District along the Belize River must take action as the flood waters are now swelling and expanding in the lower reaches of the Belize River Valley as it recedes in the Cayo District.

Areas of concern are:

In the Belize River Valley: Bomba, Maskall, St. Anns; Santana; Lucky Strike; Rockstone Pond and Boston Crooked Tree. Also of concern is St. Paul's Bank; Willows Bank; Rancho Dolores; Double Head Cabbage; Bermudian Landing; Flowers Bank; Lemonal; Burrel Boom; Lord's Bank; and Ladyville. There is obne and a half feet of water on the road in Isabela Bank. Scotland half-moon residents need to continue to move to safety; and in May Pen several families are cut off but okay. The Livestock holding facility near Double Head Cabbage is available to safeguard livestock. People living in La Democracia; coastal highway community; Gales Point; Mullins River; Gracie Rock; Hattieville; Freetown Sibun, and Butcher Burns are advised to take note. The Water is falling in Gracie and rising in Freetown Sibun.

Road conditions: On the road to Challilo, Vaqueros Bridge is becoming impassable to traffic. MOW assistance is urgently requested. Spanish lookout via Baking Pot Ferry and Iguana Creek Bridge are impassable at this time. The access route through Bullet Tree Falls village via the Bullet Tree Bridge is open. The wooden bridge in San Ignacio across the Macal River remains closed and is seriously damaged. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CROSS THIS BRIDGE. Calla Creek Hammock Bridge has been destroyed. The Roaring Creek Bridge also remains open. The Manatee (Coastal) road is flooded at the bridge coming from the George Price Highway, access is open from the Hope Creek junction. In Maskal the river is 2.5 ft., under the bridge. In Bomba the river is 3ft above normal and rising. People living in these flood prone areas are being strongly encouraged to seek safety and move to higher grounds to protect life. Seek shelter with families or friends or go to a community shelter. MOVE OUT of areas that are likely to flood. Protect life first. Stay away from flood waters. Farmers with livestock take the necessary actions and seek safety and move them to higher grounds. Do not: cross flood waters, especially at night.

AIDS TO NAVIGATION

Mariners are advised to exercise extreme caution while navigating in the territorial waters of Belize. The Authority is currently working on restoring all Aids to Navigation in the channels which shifted due to Hurricane Earl.

HUMAN RESOURCES

NEMO Human Resource Management Committee continues to make the plea to those public officers who have not reported for duty in Belize City to show up. Your absence is causing a strain and fatigue on the dedicated Public Officers doing assessments, providing relief and managing the Shelter operations.

AT THE TIME OF THIS REPORT THERE IS NO TROPICAL CYCLONE THREAT TO BELZE.

Listen to your local radio and television for further advisories from NEMO.

Marty #516688 08/08/16 11:56 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Hurricane Earl is gone, San Pedro is open for business!

Ambergris Caye, Belize: The Storm Has Passed and We Are Open For Business

Here are the facts:

• the sun is shining
  • the water is clear
  • the island has water & electricity
  • all flights and water taxis are running
  • the community spirit is high
  • tours are going out and
  • the fishing is amazing (a post storm phenomena)…

If you have a trip planned (whether this week or in a month) or you are thinking of capitalizing on the low price summer fares to Belize, here are some things to consider…

1. We are open for business and the best way to support our beloved island is to visit�– eat, go on tours, drink and have a great time.
  2. Talk to your hotel. �There are a few that are closed for clean-up. �But most are open and ready. �(Not to trick you into coming to a help them clean or to sleep in a room full of sand, I mean READY)
  3. If you have never been here, here is the list of 11 Things You MUST Do on Your First Visit to Ambergris Caye. �Today, three full days after Earl, �you can do 10/11 – Palapa Bar, the famous dock over the water, was very sadly washed away (though I know they will rebuild). �Almost all of the restaurants, bars, tours are up and ready to go.

The sharks are waiting for you.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Scoop

Marty #516699 08/08/16 07:51 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
EARL RELIEF OPERATIONS: SITUATION REPORT #3

SITUATION. Immediate relief to the affected people and restoration of critical lifeline facilities continue as the country returns to normalcy less those severely impacted. NEMO and the Government providing assistance with help from the community. The Utility Companies operations are progressing at a steady pace enabling the country's recovery.

PEOPLE IN SHELTER: There are a total of 170 persons in Shelter as follows: 91 in Belize City: Unity Presbyterian has 16 persons, St. John's Vianney has 31 persons, and St. Luke has 44 persons. In Cayo: Teakettle has 16 persons in shelter and St. Matthews has 31 persons. There 28 persons in the Hattievile Community Centre recently built by US Southern Command. Orange Walk has 4 persons in one shelter in San Carlos.

FOOD/WATER RELIEF OPERATIONS. NEMO National Relief and Supplies Management Committee (RSMC) continues to mobilize reaching out to people in the affected communities with food, water, tarp/plastic sheeting, cleaning supplies, mattress etc. BATSUB, BDF and UNICEF have been assisting people in the shelters. The Belize Red Cross, and USAID are supporting NEMO with field operations. The Indian community in Belize provided lunch yesterday for the shelterees in Belize City.

UTILITIES RESTORATION: WATER - Rural Water Systems UPDATE: Billy White and Santa Familia system is still down, emergency water relief is being organized for those in need. Harvesting of rainwater is always encouraged. Crooked Tree, St. Anns, Santana and Corozalito water system have been restored back to normal. On the old northern highway a water truck will be providing water for those communitive in need.

BWS - San Pedro is currently experiencing low water pressure, as BWSL continues to repair leaks in the system

c. ELECTRICITY - BEL UPDAT Today BEL continues work in Belize Rural.

e. Telecommunications Speed net - The Renaissance tower site is expected to be repaired by

Sunday. Two towers near JB on George Price Highway is down and currently undergoing repairs.

f. BTL UPDATE - Customers in the following areas are experiencing little or no mobile voice or data service due to cell site outages (with estimated restoration times). Lucky Strike (Saturday, 6 pm). The cell site at Burrell Boom was completely destroye (August 16th uptime). Customers in the following areas are experiencing limited or degraded services due to cell site outages. The cell site at Love FM was completely destroyed, therefore surrounding neighbourhoods may be affected (August 16th uptime).

g.Sufficient Fuel oil stocks available.

DAMAGE ASSESSMENT: Immediate humanitarian assessments and relief continue.
CLEAN UP: Clean up in the city continues.

HOUSEHOLD AND HOUSING MATERIAL RELIEF to commence this week.

FLOOD OPERATIONS: People in the Belize District along the Belize River must continue to monitor the river.

Area of concern is Belize River Valley:

Road conditions: Vaqueros and Privassion Bridge is impassable to heavy equipment and big trucks. Small vehicles must exercise extreme caution whilst driving in this area.

Spanish lookout via Baking Pot Ferry and Iguana Creek Bridge are impassable at this time. The access route through Bullet Tree Falls village via the Bullet Tree Bridge is open. The wooden bridge in San Ignacio across the Macal River remains closed and is seriously damaged. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CROSS THIS BRIDGE. The Hammock Bridge in Calla Creek has been destroyed. Blue Creek road is open and passable vehicular traffic.

People living in these flood prone areas are being strongly encouraged to seek safety and move to higher grounds to protect life. MOVE OUT of areas that are likely to flood. Protect life first. Stay away from flood waters. Farmers with livestock take the necessary actions and seek safety and move them to higher grounds. Do not: cross flood waters, especially at night.

HUMAN RESOURCES:

NEMO Human Resource Management Committee continues to make the plea to those public officers who have not reported for duty in Belize City to show up. Your absence is causing a strain and fatigue on the dedicated Public Officers doing assessments, providing relief and managing the Shelter operations.

People in Belize City are hereby informed that if they have not yet been assessed by the assessment team, to kindly visit or call the Department of Human Services at #40 Regent Street Belize City, or call 227-7451. In the districts ensure your damage and loss information are submitted to NEMO office in the districts for verification.

Marty #516716 08/09/16 07:54 AM
R
R
Here are a few things to think about concerning hurricanes. The storm flows in a counter clockwise movement from the center. Roughly if you face the wind and stretch out your right arm that is the direction of the eye of the storm. What sailors call the dangerous quadrant is the quadrant to the left of the eye on the leading edge. This is because you will have the wind speed plus the speed that the storm is moving. The right side quadrant would have the wind speed minus the speed of the storm.

I'm not sure just how fast Earl was traveling when it came ashore but this has to be taken in consideration. San Pedro/Caye Caulker where in the dangerous quadrant. Also in this case the dangerous quadrant meant the wind was from the east or offshore which caused the water to rise higher than if San Pedro was South of the storm. When the eye of the storm was predicted to go in at Belize City I warmed some of my friends that the surge would be high compared to the velocity of the wind.

I'm not an expert on weather and I hope I remembered all this correctly. In the eighties I had to study weather and heavy weather tactics at sea when I was preparing for my Master's License. This is pretty basic so I think it is all correct.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
Marty #516719 08/09/16 11:42 AM
Ragman, I think you explained it well.
I think it was traveling still around 20 MPH when it hit. Could explain why it seemed much stronger than the official numbers.

Marty #516736 08/10/16 10:53 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
HURRICANE EARL RELIEF OPERATIONS
SITUATION REPORT #4
6:00 p.m., 9th August, 2016

1. PEOPLE IN SHELTER: There are a total of 170 persons in Shelter as follows: 91 in Belize City: Unity Presbyterian has 16 persons, St. John's Vianney has 31 persons, and St. Luke has 44 persons. In Cayo: Teakettle has 16 persons in shelter and St. Matthews has 31 persons. There 28 persons in the Hattievile Community Centre recently built by US Southern Command. Orange Walk has 4 persons in one shelter in San Carlos.

2. PEOPLE ASSISTED: approx. 1,580 household or about 8,000 people, as reported by the National Relief Supplies Committee/Ministry of Human Development. (1200 households assisted in Belize City proper: Belama, Vista Del Mar, Ladyville, Lords Bank and Sand Hill. Old Northern Highway communities: La Democracia, Gracie Rock, Hattieville, Western Pines and Freetown Sibun. 123 Households assisted in Stann Creek. 226 households in Belmopan and the surrounding communities. 23 households assisted in Orange Walk and 10 household in San Pedro & Caye Caulker). We are acting on information of people not captured in the assessments.

3. FOOD RELIEF: ISSUED: 4,716 food packs, 3,603 gallons of water, 2,300 gallons of Clorox, 946 mattresses and 284 rolls of plastic sheetings/tarps.
NEMO National Relief and Supplies Management Committee (RSMC) continues to mobilize reaching out to people in the affected communities with food, water, tarp/plastic sheeting, cleaning supplies, mattress etc. BATSUB, BDF and UNICEF have been assisting people in the shelters. The Belize Red Cross, and USAID are supporting NEMO with field operations.

4. RESTORATION of UTILITIES:
a. Belize water system is working. San Pedro continues to operate in low water pressure mode as BWSL continues to repair leaks in the system. Billy White and Santa Familia water have been restored. On the old northern highway a water truck will be providing water for those communities in need.

b. ELECTRICITY - BEL UPDATE. 99% of Customers have been restored. There are parts of Belize City still without power and in the Belize District along the Old Northern Highway from Altun Ha to Maskall and five villages in the Belize River Valley and parts of Hattieville.

c. Telecommunications Speed net - Burrel Boom cell site was completely destroyed. (August 16th uptime). The cell site at Love FM was completely destroyed, therefore surrounding neighbourhoods are being affected (August 16th uptime). Speed NET, the Renaissance tower site is being repaired. Two towers near JB on George Price High way are down and are currently undergoing repairs.

d. FUEL: Sufficient Fuel available.

5. DAMAGE ASSESSMENT: Immediate humanitarian assessments and relief assistance continue. Housing material relief operations very preliminary roll out is being planned for late Wednesday/Thursday morning. Everybody cannot receive assistance at the same time. Names submitted are being cross checked to prioritize the assistance roll out.

6. FLOOD OPERATIONS: People in the Belize District along the Belize River must continue to monitor the river. Area of concern is Belize River Valley.

7. Road conditions: Vaqueros and Privassion Bridge is impassable to heavy equipment and big trucks. Small vehicles must exercise extreme caution whilst driving in this area. Iguana Creek Bridge is currently is open and passable to vehicular traffic. The access route through Bullet Tree Falls village via the Bullet Tree Bridge is open. Spanish lookout via Baking Pot Ferry is impassable at this time. The wooden bridge in San Ignacio across the Macal River remains closed and is seriously damaged. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CROSS THIS BRIDGE. The
Hammock Bridge in Calla Creek has been destroyed. Blue Creek road is open and passable vehicular traffic.

8. HUMAN RESOURCES: NEMO Human Resource Management Committee continues to make the plea to those public officers who have not reported for duty in Belize City to show up. Your absence is causing a strain and fatigue on the dedicated Public Officers doing assessments, providing relief and managing the Shelter operations.
People in Belize City are hereby informed that if they have not yet been assessed by the assessment team, to kindly visit or call the Department of Human Services at #40 Regent Street Belize City, or call 227-7451. In the districts ensure your damage and loss information are submitted to NEMO office in the districts for verification.

AT THE TIME OF THIS REPORT THERE IS NO TROPICAL CYCLONE THREAT TO BELIZE.

Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.