For the latest on Tropical Storm Earl, click here

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

New property Management Company opens on Ambergris Caye
A full-service rental and property management company has officially opened its doors for business in San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye. ‘Belize Holiday Vacation Rentals’ aims to provide excellent service to homeowners, while delivering a memorable vacation experience for guests. According to Steve Childress, an experienced Managing Partner with the company, the attentiveness to the homeowners is a top priority. “We pay a lot of attention to the home owner’s needs, take great care of their properties and work hard to optimize rental income,” said Childress. Belize Holiday Vacation Rentals is not new to the business since they also manage properties outside of the country. The company branched out from Tennessee in the United States of America (USA), and manages and rents over 200 properties there. “The company has vast experience in managing properties and now we are bringing that experience to Belize,” said Childress. “We have a very robust booking system. Providing great service and excellent communication with property owners and guests is another of our top priorities as we want everyone to have a great vacation.”

Wolfe’s Woofer: Medical Emergency
“Where are you going this morning?” Sherry asked. “I’m going to visit my old friend Tony,” I told her. “I’ll have lunch with him.” Sherry and I have been traveling around in Mexico and I looked up an old friend who lives in Playa del Carmen. Unfortunately I found that Tony had a stroke three months ago and was now living in an assisted care home. “He’ll enjoy a visit,” Sherry said. When I knocked on the door of Tony’s room he called, “I’m running late. I’ll be out in a minute.” “I’ll wait for you in the cafeteria,” I said. Half an hour later he was still in his room. “Are you OK?” I called at the door.

Belize foreign consulate to raise funds for hurricane victims
Hurricane Earl has caused much damage to many communities, businesses and homes across Belize. It is no doubt that help will be needed, and assistance is due to come from abroad. The Belize Consulate in Miami Florida, USA has set up a ‘Gofundme’ account with the aim to raise monetary donations to assist Belizeans affected by the storm. The initiative is being spearheaded not only by the Consulate in Miami, Florida, but also by the Embassy of Belize in Washington D.C and all of the Missions and Belize Consulates abroad.

Doctor Love: Not Ready and Grudging
Dear Doctor Love, I met a man two months ago. He is only separated from his wife and he is already after me to move in with him. I feel like this is way too fast for me. I also get the feeling that he is very controlling. He tries to call me at work when he knows I am not supposed to accept personal calls. One evening when I had my phone turned off he showed up on my doorstep wanting to know what was wrong. I have spent the night at his house three times and each time I spent most of it cleaning the house. He wants to come over during the week and spend time with me and for me to come to his house on weekends More than anything right now I am looking for dating. Other than this we are very compatible. Should I quit wasting time on him or try to change him. /s/ Not Ready

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

13 Aerial images of San Pedro after Hurricane Earl taken August 6, 2016
photos by Astrum Helicopter

South Ambergris Caye Neighborhood Watch Monthly Meeting Wednesday
If you are on the island, join us for our regular monthly meeting this Wednesday - August 10th 7:00 pm Lone Star Grill & Cantina Hope to see you there!

Recovery continues in Belize City
As cleanup teams prepare space at the nearest transfer station for access and deposit of storm debris from the city.

Altun Ha now open
Along with Cahal Pech, Santa Rita, Cerro Maya, Nim Li Punit and Lubaantun.

La Ruta Humana
By: Abdulmajeed K Nunez. This is a phrase coined by Bert Tucker Most young people my age will not remember That Belize was Central America’s Mecca During the time of the Maya Lemoni was the trading Center Belize used to feed three million people and visitors round yah For two hundred years it was the trading center for Central America Enjoying some 400 years of trade with Mexico and Guatemala

Earl the destroyer
Residents of the hurricane-struck zone of Central Belize, and primarily those living in the Belize District area—the offshore cayes, Belize City, Ladyville and the Belize River Valley—are still trying to put their lives back together after Earl ripped through the country on Wednesday night and early Thursday morning. An official tally of Earl’s toll on Belize is still pending; thankfully, no deaths have been attributed to the hurricane in Belize, although 6 deaths resulted from a storm-related incident on Sunday in the Dominican Republic. In Belize, hundreds of distress calls were made as Hurricane Earl pounded Belize, leaving many homes as well as public buildings roofless—or at least with partial roof damage. The trail of destruction led as far as Belize’s westernmost town of Benque Viejo del Carmen. Earl uprooted large trees; downed large billboards and signs, as well as public bus stops; compromised light poles and pulled apart high tension cables, leaving thousands without power even a day after the all-clear had been declared. According to the National Hurricane Center in Miami, the center of Earl made landfall just southwest of Belize City, Belize near midnight. The last reports from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft recoded flight-level wind of 85 knots or 97.8 miles per hour. It estimated landfall intensity at 70 knots or 80 miles per hour, although many Belizeans believe that the storm at times packed much stronger winds.

Earl causes losses of over $100 million in agriculture
Earl’s toll on Belize’s economy is over $100 million, Jose Alpuche, Chief Executive Officer in the Ministry of Agriculture, told Amandala today. “What we have right now indicates $100 million worth of damage, because when we factor in the main affected subsectors – bananas, corn, and vegetables—corn, as I had said, was in the region of $49 million worth of losses, bananas will probably be within the region of about $40 million, and the rest takes us over $100 million in damages,” Alpuche said. This is bad news, especially against the backdrop of reports from the Statistical Institute of Belize which indicated that Belize’s main export sectors—which include banana—have been contracting. We asked Alpuche how far the damage extended, and he said that they extend from the southeast portion of the Corozal District down to northern Toledo District. He noted that to date there is no estimated dollar figure for citrus. He told us that there were reports of fruit drops from the wind and the reports vary quite a bit.

Earl impacted more than 110,000 children in Belize: UNICEF
The frightfulness of howling winds and pounding rains emanating from a fierce hurricane such as Earl is enough to traumatize a child. In fact, according to a report released today by the United Nations’ Children’s Fund (UNICEF), three-fourths of Belize’s children, amounting to more than 110,000 children, 27,000 of them being younger than age 5, were affected by Hurricane Earl. The hurricane struck Belize on Wednesday night and early Thursday morning with its impacts being felt along a span of about 150 miles, covering most of Belize, with impacts concentrated across four of Belize’s six districts. “The damage caused by Hurricane Earl has put the safety—and even lives—of Belize’s most vulnerable children in immediate danger,” said UNICEF Belize representative Ivan Yerovi. UNICEF said that it has conducted an initial assessment of damage caused by Earl in some of the most vulnerable communities located in Southside Belize City.

John Michael Williams, 32, shot dead in Ladyville home
A 14-year-old boy looking to complete his final year of primary school is now fatherless after his father was gunned down with a home-made firearm at their home in Ladyville. According to Ladyville police, sometime after 10 p.m., John Michael Williams, 32, was alone at home on Myrtle Waight Crescent when a lone gunman knocked at his door. Williams opened the door to a man who shot him three times. Williams was shot in both hands and once in the head after the gunman demanded money from him. The gunman then fled down the steps of the elevated wooden house and escaped on foot. Fortunately, Reny Leal, 22, Williams’ girlfriend of two years, and her stepson were not at home when this incident occurred, as they had gone in their family vehicle to assist a friend in the area. However, upon return they found Williams apparently dead.

Hon. Godwin Hulse assumes giant Police portfolio
–The Belize Police Department was on Monday assigned to a new Minister, Hon. Godwin Hulse, after Prime Minister Dean Barrow, head of Cabinet, decided to pull that portfolio from National Security Minister John Saldivar because of public concerns over Saldivar’s reported association with the man known in Belize as William Mason, recently remanded on murder and kidnapping charges. Hulse, who was given the job on Monday morning, takes over the Police Department at a time when major crimes, particularly in Central Belize, are on the increase, with the rate of homicides in the Belize District area being the primary concern for residents and authorities alike. Hulse said he is confident that they can improve the situation. We asked Hulse what are his plans; he said that he did not have any yet, but would imminently work on charting the way forward after meeting with relevant police staff.

Cane farmers demonstrate against ASR sugar company
Orange Walk District, Fri. July 29, 2016–About 200 cane farmers of the Orange Walk and Corozal Districts and some of their family members carried out a peaceful demonstration today against American Sugar Refining (ASR), a sugar company operating the Belize Sugar Industries at Tower Hill, Orange Walk. The protest began at 9:00 this morning and lasted until 1:00 this afternoon, at the junction of the Tower Hill road and the Philip Goldson Highway. The farmers are angry because their second payment for their product was short of $209,000, which the sugar company deducted from their payment because some of the molasses produced by the factory had gone bad. Normally, the revenues from the molasses would be split – 65% going to the company and 35% to the farmers. However, the farmers did not receive those revenues. They contend that they bear no fault whatsoever in the spoilage of the molasses and so they should not be made to pay for the incompetence of the company.

Young Belizean boxers successful over Guatemalans
On Friday, July 29, the Belize Boxing Federation hosted a boxing event at Biltmore Hotel, where we saw young and upcoming Belizean boxing talent on display against our neighbors from Guatemala. In the opening bout between first-time boxers, Malcolm Lopez (12 years old, 42 kg) won by a unanimous decision after 3 rounds over Christopher Espinoza of Guatemala. In the second bout, Belize’s Jerome McLaren (16 yrs, 49 kg) was defeated by Edyns Asi of Guatemala, after the referee stopped the contest. The third fight saw Jevan (16 yrs, 58 kg) winning by TKO over his opponent, Danny Picon of Guatemala. In the 4th fight of the night, 16 year old Akeem Avalez (61 kg) TKO’ed his opponent, Edwin Lopez of Guatemala, in the 3rd round.

Taye Parkinson wins Bronze at Central American U13 & U11 Championships!!!
Belize participated for the second time in the Central American Pre-Infantile U13 & U11 Table Tennis Championships in San Jose, Costa Rica from July 27 – 30. This year, the Belize delegation comprised of six players, including Taye Parkinson (age 11), Terry Su (age 13), Devesh Hukmani (age 12), Jude Castellanos (age 12), Jofny Paguaga (age 12), and Kelly Liu (age 13). They participated in four categories at the event – team, singles, doubles, and mixed doubles, and all played in the U13 category with the exception of Taye Parkinson, who played singles in the U11 category. 7 Central American countries participated in this event, and included Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, Panama, Costa Rica, and Honduras… In the U13 category our players were unable to make it out of their groups…

Belize delegation at the Rio 2016 Olympics
Belize’s delegation to the Olympics in Brazil, which opens tonight at the famous Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, includes 3 athletes and 2 officials. In the picture above, from left to right, they are: Belize Athletics Association (BAA) President, Deon Sutherland; Judo coach, Franz Menzies; heptathlete competing in the 100m Hurdles, Katy Sealy; competing in the 200m, Brandon Jones; and competing in Judo, Renick James. Stand strong, Belizeans!

Long-serving basketball referee Robert “Boxer” Vernon passes
The Belize Association of Basketball Officials (BABO) has received word of the death yesterday of one of our long-serving referees. Mr. Robert “Boxer” Vernon served Belizean basketball for some quarter century until ill health intervened. “Boxer” refereed at tournaments throughout the country, and was especially generous in contributing his time and services to the high school and other youth tournaments. His absence will be keenly felt. BABO and the Belize District Association of Basketball Officials express our sincere condolences to his family.

Editorial: The surprising and cruel Mister Earl
From one perspective, Belize City, the nation’s population center, finally ran out of hurricane luck on Wednesday night/Thursday morning, August 3/4 of 2016, after 55 years of relatively cool runnings since October 31 of 1961. On that night in 1961, for those few of you who don’t know, a ferocious Category 5 lady named Hattie visited, uninvited of course, the then capital city, and life, ma Cherie, has really never been the same. For sure there’s been many a scare since Hattie, but no one since then ever made the impression Mr. Earl did this week. Back in 1978, Greta created substantial insurance opportunities for clever claimants, but she was a mere 80 miles an hour. Hattie was double that. In 1998, the terrifying Mitch was Hattie-like in power, and perhaps even worse, but Mitch veered southward to Honduras at the last minute. Richard in 2010 was supposed to be 100 miles an hour, but when we compare him with Earl this week, Richard was a boy masquerading as a man. Call me MISTER Earl. Early in the history of this storm, we were minded of Greta, because we believe in projecting worst case scenarios in these matters. When who became Earl was a mere tropical wave of 40 miles an hour, the proverbial “area of disturbed weather” fooling around below Hispaniola in the Eastern Caribbean, a Greta prognosis was our worst case scenario. The thing was, even as an unnamed meteorological phenomenon, this storm always made it clear, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that its destination was Belize, and by the time anonymous became Earl, a named tropical storm, late Tuesday or early Wednesday, he was saying it loud: Belize City is what I want and where I am going.

The BTL farce with Barrow and Aschroft benefitting!
First let me apologize to readers for taking that unannounced break… but truth be told I enjoyed the silence and just looking on as s—t upon s—t hit the proverbial fan and then when it all piled up together it made s—t creek and I noticed we all up s—t creek without a paddle and some of us don’t even have dory. As I said to some who asked me what with the silence, I repeat, “What will I write? I told you so?” Of course I did not know that my colleague in the struggle, Pastor Llewellyn Lucas, would be decapitated, but I knew that the criminal connection with public officials and nefarious characters would soon be unveiled. Also I knew that Ashcroft would take us to the cleaners with the acquiescence of the government and that eventually the Petrocaribe dollars and all the “hand-out” clinics would run out. We did not use the monies to empower people; rather our present political leaders used us to control power over people… big difference, bro!

Contemporary Commentary: The World According to Trump
–It is a matter of bizarre curiosity and obvious fact that upon becoming the official presidential nominee of the Republican Party, Donald Trump is even less restrained and is now totally devoid of anything resembling self-control. While questions regarding Trump’s fitness for the office of President of the United States sprout like bewildered weeds, there are even more questions being asked about the millions of American men and women who think that he should be elected? The litany of Trump gaffes, blunders and blatant acts of indecency are taking on the stuff of legend. Indeed, if Donald Trump wanted to lose the presidential election, he would be doing exactly what he has been doing since the conclusion of the DNC Convention in Philadelphia last week. Case in Point 1 – On the last night of the DNC Convention Khizr and Ghazala Khan, the Pakistani-American parents of Humayun Khan, appeared on the podium. Humayun Khan was a posthumous recipient of the Bronze Star and Purple Heart as a result of his death protecting his fellow soldiers in Afghanistan in 2004.

NACLA- Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars
While USAID eventually tabled Urapalma’s proposal, the agency awarded one grant to Coproagrosur, the company surrendered by Macaco, and another to Gradesa, which refines palm oil for domestic consumption and export—much of it to the United States. According to ARD reports and USAID documents, the agency’s grant to Gradesa helped support a project in Belén de Bajirá, Chocó, the Urabá municipality that is home to Urapalma—and to the land formerly farmed by Enrique Petro. USAID appears to have supported Gradesa’s involvement in refining palm oil from the Chocó killing fields. USAID insists it has never funded a palm project in Chocó. Representatives from USAID, Gradesa and ARD deny that the Gradesa project was based in Belén de Bajirá, despite three years of references to the town in internal and public documents.

The recent decapitation of a “roots” Belizean, Pastor Llewellyn Lucas, represents a fairly new chapter in Belize’s crime chronicles. This horrific incident, allegedly masterminded by one William Danny Mason, a Guyanese Indian businessman deported from Canada who, incidentally but curiously, has a Belizean birth certificate, and is an associate of some UDP ministers and a party campaign contributor, is a saga that Belize can ill afford at this point in time. Hard on the heels of this is the possible devaluation of the Belizean dollar, the Pyrrhic “victory” of compensation payments to the Ashcroft Alliance for the nationalised companies formerly owned by the British adventurer, Lord Michael Ashcroft, the loss of correspondent banking, and investor money flight. Aggravating this situation is the decline in exports, now down by 30 per cent as against those of June 2015, the rapid depletion of Belize’s foreign reserves and a steadily shrinking economy. Belize now has an alarming poverty rate of 40 per cent.

Earl pushes back Dara’s concert fundraiser
Joel “Dara” Robinson, who has been running a feeding program for primary school children for nearly a decade, has had to postpone his Sunday fundraiser due to the impact of Hurricane Earl. Dara’s second feeding program fundraiser, the 9th Annual Tribute to Lucky Dube, a renowned South African reggae artist, has had to be postponed because Hurricane Earl crumbled the venue, located on Bird’s Isle. Dara has not yet announced a new time and date for the event. On Sunday, July 31, Dara held the 5th Annual Rider for Hunger, a 41-mile leisure ride trekking from in front of Smart on the Philip Goldson Highway to Ladyville, the Burrell Boom Road, Hattieville and then back to the City, making a complete turn back to Smart’s main office. Robinson expressed his thanks, first to the Almighty, and secondly to the over 300 people—citizens and business community—who supported the ride. He said that he is thankful that the ride was well attended.

The Reporter

Successful experiments on monkeys prompt scientists to develop anti-Zika vaccine for humans
Researchers reported in the journal Science that three types of vaccines designed to block the virus worked perfectly in monkeys. Based on this, the next step is to start clinical tests of the Zika vaccine in humans. The three vaccines have proven effective in mice, […]

Dara’s concert postponed
The “God Bless the Woman” Lucky Dube concert, planned by Joel ” Dara” Robinson for today Sunday, at the Bird’s Isle has been postponed. The event had to be pushed further down in August because the Bird’s Isle, which has been its venue fir the […]

Man rendered critical by fistfight
A fistfight Sunday night between a man and two others in Benque Viejo town has left one in a coma and the other facing a series of serious charges. Michael Adrian Pagett, 36, is in the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH) in a critical condition […]

BPP reacts to Cabinet shuffle
Responding to the recent reconfiguration of Cabinet, the Belize Progressive Party (BPP) condemned Prime Minister Dean Barrow for his methods in addressing the current escalation of crime in Belize. On Tuesday, the BPP accused Barrow of trying to trick the Belizean people, by making measures which would […]

Churches call for investigation into ‘Pastor Lou’ murder
The National Evangelical Association of Belize (NEAB) is calling on the Prime Minister Dean Barrow to commission an independent investigation into the brutal murder of Dangriga pastor, Llewellyn Lucas. NEAB issued a public statement on Monday, asserting that it has no confidence in the security forces being […]

‘Exports way down’ says SIB
Belize’s exports were down by 30 percent in the month of June according to the latest data published by the Statistical Institute of Belize (SIB). The SIB’s External Trade Bulletin, released on Wednesday, showed that the total value of Belize’s domestic exports for the month of June […]

Brutal murder in Hattieville
A Guatemalan national is in police custody, pending murder charges for the death of Yovany Armando Rosales, which occurred last Saturday at Tropical Park in Hattieville Village. Rosales, 44, a Honduran national and resident of 14 1/2 miles on the George Price Highway was drinking with his […]

Man remanded for intent to cause bodily harm
Alexander Garcia, 46, was remanded to the Belize Central Prison last Thursday for burglarizing the home of a teenage girl with intent to harm her. According to the 19-year-old, she was home alone on Wednesday, when sometime around 11:00 p.m. Garcia arrived at her house. Instinctively, she […]

Robbing spree in the Garden City
A string of armed robberies in Belmopan was reported to police there between last Thursday and Friday. George Varela, 18, made the first report. According to Varela, last Thursday, sometime around 7:15 p.m. he was walking near Independence Park when a dark complexion man rode up beside […]

Woman dies after losing leg crushed by SUV on busy market day
The family, friends and work colleagues of senior public officer, Emily Guy, 54, are this week mourning her untimely and shocking death, which came one day after she was knocked down on East Canal across from the bus terminal near the Michael Finnegan market. The […]

More charges to be laid in Mason case
Prime Minister Dean Barrow announced this week that there will be more persons charged due to the criminal activities of William Danny Mason. Barrow announced on Monday that after the Attorney General’s Ministry investigated Mason’s forged birth certificate, the Ministry determined that there was wrongdoing […]

Ministry of Health warns about waterborne diseases
In the wake of Hurricane Earl, the Ministry of Health is cautioning residents in affected areas about the health hazards of flood waters. To address a growing concern about a spike in cases of water-borne illnesses, the ministry issued a release on Friday, containing several […]

Earl whips Cayo
Hurricane Earl slammed into the Belize District and ripped through the central portion of the country, dumping huge amounts of rain as it slowly made its way west of Belize, but not before also creating challenges for the Cayo district. The category one hurricane pummeled […]

After years of planning and hard work the Santander Group, owners of the new sugar mill in Cayo, achieved success by exporting its first shipment of Belizean sugar – 6,250 tons of it, to Europe. The shipment is expected to arrive at the Port of Santander, named after the patriarch […]

Hurricane Earl hits Belize
Belize took a direct hit late Wednesday night into early Thursday morning from Hurricane Earl, the category one storm that caused tremendous physical destruction and economic loss but fortunately did not bring about any casualties. After the storm, Prime Minister Dean Barrow held a press […]

Body found at Hyde Super Market
Carl “MacGyver” Trapp, 51, was found stabbed to death in the Hyde Building across from the Michael Finnegan Market early on Saturday morning. Around 7:00 a.m. police responded to a report of a dead body found at the Hyde building. Officers discovered Trapp’s lifeless body […]

Flood warnings for western Belize
In the aftermath of Hurricane Earl, the National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) has issued flood warnings for residents in the the Cayo district and the Belize River Valley. On Friday, NEMO issued the advisory warning that residents could expect dangerous flooding, due to water from […]

The Saldivar shuffle is precipitated by Hurricane Mason
John Saldivar is no longer the Minister of National Security, a position he has held since 2012 when the United Democratic Party won its second consecutive general election. He is now the Minister of Defence, responsible for the Belize Defence Force and the Belize Coast Guard. Senator Minister Godwin Hulse […]

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

UB opens new school year on Monday
The University of Belize announces that it will resume operations on Monday August 8th, 2016. All employees are expected to return to work on Monday. New students are asked to take note of the following changes in the Orientation schedules; The Faculty of Science and Technology […]

Commonwealth SecGen pledges hurricane support
Secretary General of the Commonwealth of Nations, Baroness Patricia Scotland, has expressed concern for the welfare of all affected by Hurricane Earl and assured the Government and people of Belize of solidarity at this testing time. In her statement the Secretary-General said, quote, Extreme […]

Illegal hunting warning in Belize River Valley
The Forest Department has issued a warning to the public and restauranteurs not to buy or consume game meat at this time, following multiple reports and complaints received of illegal hunting and killing of wildlife in the Belize River Valley Area as a result […]

Cross International to help hurricane relief
In the wake of Hurricane Earl, Mark Mosely, Senior Director of Cross International and his team are headed to Belize today, Sunday, to deliver disaster relief in the form of food and medicine. Mosely and Cross International will be distributing 15 pallets of food […]

Blacakdore Caye developers move forward with consultations
According to the San Pedro Sun, After hosting their first public consultation in January of this year, followed by a media tour, the Blackadore Caye Development Group in charge of the project has released an update regarding a follow – up public consultation. According to […]

Dead elderly man found in Belize City
Police have confirmed that an elderly man’s body was found in a state of decomposition on Dolphin Street, behind Belize Dry Cleaners, earlier this afternoon at about 2. No signs of injuries have been observed on the body thus far. Police investigations continue. © […]

BEL continues restoration of power
Most of the Belize River Valley and communities along the Philip Goldson Highway and Old Northern Highway can expect to receive electricity later on Monday, according to Belize Electricity Limited. A statement from the state-run company issued on Sunday reports that as of overnight Saturday, power supply had […]

Latest on Hurricane Earl relief efforts
The National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) says it is now focusing on providing immediate relief to victims of Hurricane Earl and restoring critical facilities and operational normalcy in addition to assessing critical sectors. As of Sunday evening, 164 persons remain in shelters in the Belize and […]

Francine Burns loses Senate seat
Earlier this week, the Ministry of National Security was split between Senator Godwin Hulse, now solely in charge of the Police Department, and John Saldivar, who is now Minister of Defence with responsibility for the BDF and the Coast Guard. Hulse remains Minister of Immigration […]

Four VSU personnel fingered in Mason birth certificate scandal
Earlier this week, while announcing the Cabinet shuffle, Prime Minister Dean Barrow also gave one important update on the investigation into the activities of Rajesh Ouellet aka William Mason. He said that the Attorney General’s Ministry – which is in charge of the vital statistics […]

Firearms examiner charged in Modiri/Paumen case
The Police Department is facing yet another scandal after firearms examiner Orlando Vera was charged earlier this week with Abetment of the crime of perverting the course of Justice. Michael Modiri, the neighbour of American Tour Operator Bradley Paumen, has accused Vera of trying to […]

CXC results due next Friday
This coming Friday, August 12 sees the official release of the results for all examinations offered30 a.m. local time. Evans McNiel Rogers, minister with responsibility for education in Anguilla, will deliver […]

Belize Bank International hit by crisis
According to Caribbean News Now, an offshore bank owned by British-Belizean businessman Lord Michael Ashcroft has closed a large number of customer accounts and faced a wave of withdrawal requests after becoming increasingly caught up in a US tax-evasion crackdown and the withdrawal of foreign […]

Dr. Jaime Awe finds clues to “snake dynasty” at Xunantunich
Archaeologists have uncovered what may be the largest royal tomb found in more than a century of work on Maya ruins in Belize, along with a puzzling set of hieroglyphic panels that provide clues to a “snake dynasty” that conquered many of its neighbors some […]

P.M. promotes Carla to lead hurricane relief
Financial guru Senator Dr. Carla Barnett joins the Cabinet as Minister of State in the Ministry of Finance in the aftermath of Hurricane Earl. Speaking on Thursday, Prime Minister Dean Barrow said the appointment was necessary to further facilitate the process of conducting damage […]

International Sourcesizz

Deliberately hidden tablets telling the tale of defeated snake lords have been found in a Belize tomb
THE hieroglyphic stones telling the tale of a defeated Mayan dynasty in Belize were torn from their temple and scattered to the four winds. But the discovery of two engraved panels in a recently excavated tomb means the story of the snake kings can now be reassembled. Archaeologists working in Belize have been digging through the remains of the city of Xunantunich, a ceremonial and administration centre on the Mopan river which controlled parts of western Belize around 700AD. They recently discovered a royal tomb buried up to 8m under rubble and grit filling a central staircase inside one of the city’s temples. It has turned out to be one of the biggest tombs yet uncovered in Belize. And its owner — a man of about 25 years age — is yet to be identified.

Cross International team heads to Belize to deliver medical supplies, food after hurricane
Several members of Cross International headed to Belize Sunday to deliver medicine, medical supplies and food to those in need in Belize following Hurricane Earl. The Category 1 hurricane caused extensive damage in the Central American country, impacting tens of thousands of people. "This specific trip, we are providing the medicine and medical supplies for thousands of people, as well as the 100,000 to 150,000 meals," Cross International Senior Director Mark Mosely said. "We will be here in this particular place for about seven days, and then we will just be coming in periodically to work alongside our partners and conduct an evaluation about what the additional needs are going forward, because we are committed to the people of Belize in the long run." Some areas of Belize have two to four feet of standing water left behind from the hurricane.

Belize, scoperta tomba reale Maya: all'interno, i resti di un uomo della 'dinastia del serpente'
Una delle più grandi tombe della civiltà Maya mai scoperta in Belize. Si tratta di un sepolcro reale, ritrovato nell'area di Xunantunich, antica città del fiume Mopan e importante centro cerimoniale tra il 600 e l'800 a.c. Nel sito, rinvenuti anche dei pannelli con geroglifici, che indicherebbero la presenza sul posto di una 'dinastia del serpente', che avrebbe invaso le popolazioni vicine almeno 1300 anni fa. Le ricerche sono state condotte da Jaime Awe, che ha guidato un team della Northern Arizona University e del Belize Institute of Archaeology. Ricoperta da terra e detriti, la tomba è molto larga (le dimensioni sono di 4.5 X 2.4 metri): al suo interno, gli archeologi hanno trovato i resti di un uomo adulto (tra i 20 e i 30 anni), che giace supino con la testa orientata a sud. Seppelliti con lui, ossa di giaguaro e cervo, sei perle di giada e tredici di ossidiana, e 36 recipienti di ceramica. La tomba è circondata da un tempio, dotato di una lunga scala: le due costruzioni sarebbero state realizzate simultaneamente, hanno raccontato gli archeologi. Una novità interessante, dato che la maggior parte dei sepolcri maya erano edificati in aggiunta a una struttura esistente. "In altre parole - ha sottolineato Awe - sembra che il tempio sia stato eretto con lo scopo di racchiudere il sepolcro"

Archäologen entdecken Maya-Herrschergrab
Ein Grabungsteam um den Archäologen Jaime Awe hat in den Ruinen der Maya-Stadt Xunantunich am 19. Juli einen Zufallsfund gemacht, der es verdient, mit Superlativen beschrieben zu werden: Beim Versuch, eine Treppe zu einem höheren Gebäude freizulegen, stolperten die Ausgräber regelrecht über den Zugang zur größten Maya-Grabkammer, die seit gut hundert Jahren gefunden wurde. Und die entpuppte sich noch in mehrfacher Hinsicht als ungewöhnlich. Nicht nur, dass das Grab völlig unberührt war, einen Leichnam und zahlreiche Grabbeigaben enthielt. Es war auch als Bauwerk eine absolute Ausnahme - und nicht nur, was seine Größe angeht. Die allein ist schon imposant genug. Unter einer Schicht von Schutt aus rund eintausend Jahren fanden die Forscher in einer Tiefe von drei bis neun Metern eine Kammerstruktur von viereinhalb mal zweieinhalb Metern sowie einen Aufgang dahin.

Dean of academic affairs Arlie Petters shares goals, expresses excitement for time as dean
Mathematical physicist Arlie Petters was recently chosen as the new dean of academic affairs and associate vice provost for undergraduate education. Petters—the Benjamin Powell professor of mathematics, physics and business administration—replaced Lee Baker July 1 and will serve through June 2020. The Chronicle's Ajay Desai spoke with Petters about his love for interacting with students and his goals for his time as dean. The Chronicle: Can you outline some of your major goals and plans as dean of academic affairs? What are you hoping to accomplish? Arlie Petters: Well one of the things I believe that is very important is to ensure that our Trinity students are getting a world class liberal arts education. What is important for me is to make sure that the extraordinary in each student can be expressed. I believe we have so much talent across our student body that I want there to be vehicles through which each student can really have their signature defined. If you, for example, look at a classical way of dividing students through GPA, which I really don’t look at it like that, a student that is say B-range, I do not see that student as not as strong as a student with an A+.

Tropical Storm Earl death toll jumps to 38 in Mexico
The death toll in Mexico's landslides and flooding has jumped to 38 after Tropical Storm Earl swept through the country's eastern regions. The state worst hit is Puebla, where officials say 28 people died. Another 10 people were killed in the state of Veracruz. Previously, the confirmed number of deaths was six. Earl made landfall in Belize this week as a Category One hurricane, after causing destruction in the Caribbean. The storm was later downgraded to a tropical depression but it still left a path of destruction in Mexico.

What This Professor Says About Black History is Exactly Why Some Europeans Don’t Want It to be Accurately Portrayed
Yasser Musa and Mose Hyde were on WUB a couple weeks ago talking about the progress being made at the SJC campus in Belize City in the teaching of African and Mayan history. While this effort is to be commended it still has not made a dent in the overall scope of history lessons being taught to our children, especially Black and Brown children in Belize. Firstly, the majority of schools still have not bought into the significance of teaching that history. Secondly, even those who know that history teach it from an academic perspective and not from an interactive other words, it's still a sharing of historical facts and not an interactive analysis of understanding why we behavior the way we do and why the same oppressive system continue to persist despite our knowledge of its origin.

• Diving San Pedro Belize, 1.5min.

• Belize Trip: Day 3 - Ruins and Rivers, 5.5min.

• Swinging at Secret Beach Belize, 1min.

• Belize 2016 Ambergris Caye Day 2, 4.5min.

• Box fish, belize, 1/2min.

• YWAMDP Destination Paradise, Belize - January 16' DTS, 4min. This is a selection from the 5 months I spend in Belize, where I did a DTS at YWAMDP Destination Paradise. It has been one of the most meaningful decisions that I ever took, and I will recommend it to everyone!

• Belize Flooded Road - Hurricane Earl Aftermath, 3.5min. Helping a villager through the flood. Santander Road, Valley of Peace area.

• Belize - Xunantunich, 3min. Second day in San Ignacio. I couldn't get anyone to go see the ruins with me so headed out on the bus

• Belize - Part 7, 6min.