Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#516765 08/11/16 02:45 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Hi, I'm new to the forum and am just beginning to learn about everything that Belize, and specifically Ambergris Caye, has to offer. I'm curious whether many of the beaches along the east coast of the island (where all of the resorts are located) are public domain. Or are they private to each resort? Thanks!

All beaches are public and belong to the government and people of Belize.

Yes that's the way I read the law and folks are free to roam but every now and then you'll run into an As...problem person. The spirit of Belize is open and friendly. Private has an unfriendly ring and usually does not come from a Belizean

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
P
OP Offline
P
That's great news! My wife and I plan to visit the island and I was wondering how tied we would be to a specific beachfront based on where we stayed. I certainly recognize how crucial the seagrass is to the health of the aquatic ecosystem but was also hoping to find a few spots in the water that are clear to swim in. I just didn't want to feel like I was intruding on beach/coastline at a resort I wasn't staying at.

M
M
You can walk from Boca Del Rio to Mata Rocks along the beach quite easily

Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so .....
R
R
It is The Queen's Beach, after all.... and she's very accommodating.:)

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks all!

[quote=MikeRH]You can walk from Boca Del Rio to Mata Rocks along the beach quite easily [/

A curious bit of trivia ..... Mata Rocks is the name of a patch of coral along the reef 4.5 miles north of San Pedro, adjacent to a cut in the reef called Entrada de Mata (which you should be able to find on sea-maps). It is across from the subdivision called Mata Grande.

About 22 years ago two couples took over a small and very rustic inn just north of Mata Grande called La Finca (formerly Los Renegados) and renamed it Mata Rocks Hotel. Things changed and they decided to move their business into town, purchasing the former House of the Rising Sun. They took the name Mata Rocks with them..... Eventually the hotel was sold to its present owners and is still known as Mata Rocks.

The point of this trivia exercise is that Mata Rocks means different locations to different people,. But if you head north and walk the beach you can also go all the way north to the original Mata Rocks area. Lots of sandy beach, lots of beauty whichever way you choose to walk. The location of the original Mata Rocks hotel now boasts a massive home, just south of Rojo. After your historical beach walk, stop in at Rojo for a drink and a splash in the pool. They'll be glad to help you get rehydrated and find a water taxi ride back to town.

M
M
Thanks Diane - as a newbie to AC I am amazed with how much there is to learn

Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so .....
Originally Posted by MikeRH
Thanks Diane - as a newbie to AC I am amazed with how much there is to learn

The stories are so rich and so much fun.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.