Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#516767 08/11/16 03:26 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hi all,
I'm considering moving to Belize. I am an art teacher and would need to find employment upon arrival. I have prior experience as a jeweler, in retail, and in customer service. I am not sure if any of those skills would be relevant in Belize considering what I have read about obtaining a work permit. I am wondering if that seems possible to those of you that are there or what steps I might be able to take to give myself the best chance of finding work when I am there. Thanks in advance!

You won't be able to work upon arrival. You need a Work Permit and usually can't get one in those jobs that can be filled by a Belizean. Use the search feature on this site to learn about Immigration, Work Permit, etc. Permanent Residency takes some time and it is suggested that you come with enough funds to keep you for 3 years just in case things don't work out the way you planned. Best of luck.

Words have power. Speak it into existence.
What about moving to Belize and starting a company. I think covers the Work Permit issue but of course it opens up a number of others.

What kind of company? I wonder if there are enough educated Belizeans to start a call center? I'm thinking about doing that and I'm one of those people who are really bothered by call center operators that speak English poorly and aren't properly trained to answer questions. I wonder about that.......
I also wonder how many Belizeans would be interested in a Private Nursery School where the kids got a real education........

Some ideas. Want to move to Belize but need to work/start a business. Am experienced business owner/manager...........

Dennis M

You really ought to move here first. Enough educated Belizeans?? A real education? Typical American who does not know their arse from a hole in the ground talking out his arse.

Originally Posted by CBXMAN
What about moving to Belize and starting a company. I think covers the Work Permit issue but of course it opens up a number of others.

What kind of company? I wonder if there are enough educated Belizeans to start a call center? I'm thinking about doing that and I'm one of those people who are really bothered by call center operators that speak English poorly and aren't properly trained to answer questions. I wonder about that.......
I also wonder how many Belizeans would be interested in a Private Nursery School where the kids got a real education........

Some ideas. Want to move to Belize but need to work/start a business. Am experienced business owner/manager...........

Dennis M

We have call centers here and they do well.
We have private nursery schools here on the island and they are full. Kids learn to read here at a far younger age than in most US curricula. Hard to make money in education though.

Originally Posted by CBXMAN
..............I wonder if there are enough educated Belizeans to start a call center?..........

That's a great to make friends and influence people.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
C
OP Offline
C
Thank you for the responses. Unfortunately, I don't have the financial resources to start a company or 3 years of savings to live on while I sort it out. I am looking at returning to school for web development so that I could work remotely. That plan could take a few years though and I'm a little impatient to leave the US. I've thought about volunteering or doing a workaway but I would not want to have to leave (for lack of funds) before finding a way to make a living there.

Originally Posted by Creative
Thank you for the responses. Unfortunately, I don't have the financial resources to start a company or 3 years of savings to live on while I sort it out. I am looking at returning to school for web development so that I could work remotely. That plan could take a few years though and I'm a little impatient to leave the US. I've thought about volunteering or doing a workaway but I would not want to have to leave (for lack of funds) before finding a way to make a living there.

Belize is a small country with a population that is about 50% below the age of 18 and probably more than 50% below the poverty level. Unemployment is in the double-digits. Belizean people have little opportunity to migrate to another country for work and must deal with the possibilities that exist here.
There is no way that the government or society can responsibly facilitate the immigration of foreigners who want/need to get a run of the mill job that local people are already competing for. That is the reality you face despite your enthusiasm and evident love for the country. We are just full-up with folks who need jobs, and enthusiastically seeking people who can create them.
Please come on vacation and as a tourist and friend, support our economy and our lovely people. The more often you visit, the more likely you are to make the connections you need to make the move and hopefully not need 3 years worth of savings to do it.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence........ " Don't quit your day job".. The above responses were "right on"... Come down for a month or two... I think you will find Belize is a great place to SPEND money, not make money.

A little known fact... Women who are overweight tend to live longer than men who mention it...
S
S
Interesting responses. I'm another Canadian seeking a warmer climate. I decided to join this forum for the "true" perspective on how things work from people within the country, or have been there. I had plans to visit for a month or 2 this spring, but opted to visit Africa and Asia this past year instead. My experiences with local people in my travels has always been fantastic.

The biggest thing I notice is the slower pace and lack of stress more commonly found in fast paced North America. I'm really awaiting the time to get out of this country. It's miserable and cold for far too long for my liking. frown

I have a small media company and I noticed one person talking about working online. When you say it takes time and you're not quite there yet, double your initial time frame just to be realistic. I have multiple content based websites that have been around for about 6 years. There's no such thing as get rich quick. Good things come to those that work there butts off and never give up. It will still happen for you whatever you plan on doing on the net. The freedom and mobility is well worth the effort in the end. It's good to have hopes, goals, and dreams. Good luck to you. smile

So I still have a couple of areas I could use some help in.

First,

I'm thinking a month or 2 should be enough time to get a good feel for the life there? Do they have short term rentals? Any suggestions on where to stay? Is it better to fly there, or should I drive if I'll be there that long? What would be a reasonable budget for weekly or monthly rent. (High, low, middle?)

Second,

I'm a landscape designer, but also specialized in natural stonework. (Walkways, walls, water features, etc..) Is there much call for this type of work? I noticed there was very little presence on the internet in this area. Perhaps and opportunity there to grow? It's a limited market even here, but I really enjoy doing it.

I'd be interested in working a few select jobs. (After going through all the proper channels first). I'd also be interested in training anyone interested. I have no interest in taking work from locals and I believe in giving back to the community. My focus at this stage in my life is website development.

Thanks all in advance for any responses.

smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 285 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.