Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Penance
“What a beautiful little church!” Sherry said. “This bronze plaque says it was built in 1773,” I told her. “Let’s sit here on the bench and rest for awhile.” We were in a small town outside of Merida, Mexico for my doctor’s visit. As we sat in the shade in the churchyard the doors of the church were thrown open by an old padre. He nodded to us as a young girl came in from the street to talk to him. “Hello, Father Lopez,” she said. “Ah, Estrella Benevidez,” the priest said. “Young lady, I haven’t seen you for two years. Where have you been?” “I have been away at college,” she said. “I studied gymnastics and I just came back from the Olympics in Brazil. I won a medal.” “Oh, a medal is great,” he said, “but what is this gymnastics? I have never seen it.”

Police Report
Drug Trafficking: On Monday, September 5th at 4:35PM, acting on Special Branch intelligence a joint team of Special Branch and Criminal Investigation Branch personnel intercepted a yellow Mazda Protégé four door Taxi at the corner of Caribeña Street and Barrier Reef Drive, occupied by a female passenger later identified as 19-year-old Tracy Betancourt. She was sitting in the front passenger side of the vehicle with a brown cardboard box in her lap. As a result, she was ordered out of the vehicle and a search was conducted inside the box which revealed four wrapped parcels consisting of cannabis.
Found Drugs: On Sunday, September 4th at 9:20AM acting on Special Branch intelligence a joint team of Special Branch and Criminal Investigation Branch personnel visited the Thunder Bolt Dock. Police retrieved a black plastic bag containing corn masa from the boat. A search was then conducted within the masa which led to the discovery of a wrapped parcel in brown plastic tape and green plastic bag. The said parcel was cut open which revealed suspected Cannabis.

Doctor Love: Mom knows Best and Scrooge
Dear Doctor Love, My mother has never liked any of my boyfriends and she doesn’t keep it a secret. One was poor. One was not handsome. Yet another was too old while another was not well educated. She always manages to find fault with them. I have now been with my guy for a year and we have been talking about marriage. For obvious reasons I have never introduced him to my mother. I finally explained it to him and he is wondering why I am thirty years old and so concerned about what my mother thinks. I told him that family is very important to me but now I’m wondering if he isn’t right. Please help. /s/ Always Wrong

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Miss Dianira Rivera at the Miss Belize pageant
Mayor Daniel Guerrero and the San Pedro Town Council would like to congratulate Miss Dianira Rivera for a job well done at the Miss Belize pageant. You represented San Pedro at its very best- with much elegance and poise! Great job Dianira!

Caye Caulker September Celebrations
Anyone wishing to join the September Celebrations Grace Kennedy and CCVC cook off on Sept 18th 2016 at 5pm please contact me! There will be 2 rounds: Round 1- appetizer made with Lion Fish. Round 2 - main dish: Belizean Dish! 2 person per team!!! Cash prizes, gift basket courtesy Grace Kennedy and so much more!!! Contact me for more details!!!

Looking for EMT's
Qualified EMTs, are invited to JOIN OUR TEAM! Send in your applications to BERT at 1675 Sunrise Avenue, Coral Groves Area, Belize City or email us at APPLY NOW!

Belize Musicians Past and Present
You are welcome to join us for the launch of Tony Wright's book Belize Musicians Past and Present...

Miss América Latina del Mundo
Miss Latin America Belize 2016 Michelle Estrella Nunez will depart from Belize on September 22, 2016 to represent Belize at Miss América Latina del Mundo (Miss Latin America of the World) 2016. The pageant is scheduled to conclude in Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico on September 30, 2016. Michelle, who hails from San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, is a past title holder of Miss San Pedro (2014-2015). She is currently a member and secretary for the Rotaract Club of San Pedro. She is also the founder and director of SHINE Girls Club.

Ky-Mani Marley!
Follow the One Love Movement with Ky-Mani Marley! Chetumal Reggae Fest 2016.

Guatemalan Press Mocks Prime Minister Dean Barrow
Following the statement made by Guatemala’s Foreign Minister where he stated that the Government of Guatemala would not be extending an apology to Belize, Guatemala’s leading newspaper, “Prensa Libre” posted a caricature to its Facebook page responding to Prime Minister Dean Barrow’s call for an apology from Guatemalan President Jimmy Morales. The cartoon features President Morales holding a garbage can which contains the OAS report on the shooting death of 14-year-old Julio Alvarado with the caption “Aqui esta tu disculpa.” In English “Here is your apology”.

Jahida Remembered As A Great Softball Player
In addition to being a super mom to her two kids, as described by her family, 22 year old Jahida Crawford was known locally for being a softball icon. Playing the sport from a very young age, Jahida was the best catcher in Orange Walk- the hardest position to play in softball, according to her aunt and longtime coach. Jahida Aunt – Softball Organizer: “I have been playing softball for a number of years, I was the pitcher for my team and she was the catcher and we played well together and we played a lot of games and she did excellently and I was really surprised that she turned out to be a really good catcher because that is one of the hardest spots; you can find players for any position except that one, and seeing her lying there last night I said that is such a waste, a young person talented just gone, actually it give me no courage to continue for that tournament because she was by my house this year asking aunty why don’t’ you do a tournament and I told her to give me a break because I am working in Belmopan and I can’t do it from there so I said I’ll try on January because they want to play but even though I told them that I done and I give up I done at forty nine and they said but you still have a bit left, I don’t think so but I think what I can do, now to see that she is gone.”

Press Officer Placed On Leave Without Pay
On Monday we reported that the long awaited results from the urine sample that was taken from the Director of Government Press Office, Dorian Pakeman following the traffic accident on the Philip Goldson Highway which claimed the life of forty five year old Dean Dawson Sr. back in March indicated that Pakeman was under the influence of cocaine as traces of the drug was discovered in his bloodstream. After information surrounding the result of the sample was publicly announced by the Belize Police Department, Pakeman made a post on social media in an attempt to defend himself from the allegations made against him, stating that it is completely untrue. But while Pakeman’s case is presently in the hands of the Department of Public Prosecutions to determine whether or not charges will be levied against him, tonight we can tell you that after a meeting was held today between the Prime Minister and Pakeman, it was announced that the PM has placed Pakeman on “immediate unpaid leave” until after the DPP hands down its final decision on whether to bring charges of whatever nature against Mr. Pakeman arising out of all the circumstances surrounding the traffic incident.

PUP Senators Continue To Push For Select Senate Committee
During last week Wednesday’s special senate meeting the PUP senators proposed to have a Senate select committee to investigate the Auditor General’s report, GOB counter proposed their idea and won to have a bicameral house/ senate select committee, which will have membership of the social partners – but it the majority will come from the ruling UDP. Although their proposed idea did not make it out of the senate, the PUP senators are determined in pushing to have a Senate select committee. During a press conference called yesterday, they explained why. Honorable Michel Chebat - PUP Senator: "How can we have a joint or a bicameral committee when in fact the majority of the persons who would make up that committee would be as a matter of course Ministers who may or not have been named; and I think you have to realise that such a committee, whatever report, whatever they decide would first have to go to cabinet. Can you see a cabinet requiring that one of its Ministers be brought to justice?"

Prime Minister Barrow Meets With Church Leaders, No Agreement Reach
Since the landmark ruling was handed down for the amendment of section 53 which saw the removal of Belize’s long standing sodomy law, the churches have been in complete disarray over the issue. Yesterday Prime Minister Dean Barrow met with the church leaders in an attempt to deflect some of the pressure that's been building up following the section 53 judgment. The churches, first and foremost want GOB to appeal the judgment but furthermore they want the institution of marriage between a man and a woman protected. The Prime Minister walked into the meeting with a range of options, given to him by Cabinet, to propose to the Churches. The meeting which took place at the Headquarters of the Catholic Diocese in Belize City, encompassed the different Church leaders, including the Catholic Bishop, the Anglican Bishop, the President of the Methodist Churches, the Presidents of the two Evangelical Church Associations, and the President of the Alliance of Ministers and Leaders.

Orange Walkeno Detained For Robbery In Belize City
Jamal Warrior, a resident of Orange Walk Town is tonight in police custody after he was brought before Magistrate Carlon Mendoza earlier today on charge of robbery after he reportedly assaulted a sixteen year old minor yesterday morning. The minor reported to police that at around 11:15 a.m. he was approached by two men on bicycles while walking on Meighan Avenue in Belize City. He also told authorities that one of the individuals placed a knife to the left side of his neck while the other took his Apple I-phone from the right pocket of his pants, then both men immediately rode off on their bicycles. After calling the police to inform them about the incident, both the minor and his father set chase in the father’s vehicle in an attempt to follow the assailants. However, authorities were able to capture Warrior near Finnegan’s Market and after a search was conducted on his person, it led to the discovery of 1.6 grams of cannabis. Warrior pled guilty to the ‘possession of controlled drugs’ and was fined one hundred dollars which is to be paid on the 7th of October, failure to do so will result in one month imprisonment.

More Than Forty Thousand Dollars Stolen From Intelco Hill
Although there is currently no update on the status of the William Mason investigation into the beheading of Pastor Lu and the kidnapping of Canadian businessman Lloyd Friesen and his wife, today there is a report indicating that Mason’s hilltop home was burglarized of more than forty five thousand dollars. 48- year old Melissa Ferguson, the wife of accused murderer and kidnapper, William Danny Mason, reported to Belmopan police that her intelco hill home was burglarized of forty five thousand four hundred and twenty eight dollars in liquor, clothing, electronic, household and miscellaneous items.

The Reporter

Tenth morning murder in old capital
Police have confirmed that there was a murder on the south side of Belize City early Tenth morning. Officer commanding the Southern portion of the Police Eastern Division, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Chester Williams said that the murder happened around 2 a.m., in the St. Martin de Porres area of the Lake Independence community. The victim is 17-year-old Deandre Nembhard and police are still investigating the circumstances which led to his death. Williams maintains that while there are established patrols in the area, the size and dynamics of the community makes it difficult to police. “I will be looking to see how we can get some additional resources in that area,” Williams said. It will be extremely difficult, but it is the area plaguing us at this time so some adjustments will need to be made.”

Republic of China (Taiwan) donates to the Adjacency Zone
This week the office of the Adjacency Zone received some much needed funding from the Government of the Republic of China (Taiwan). Ambassador of the ROCT to Belize, Benjamin Ho handed over the donation to Chief Executive Officer of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Belize, Lawrence Sylvestre, at a ceremony held at the embassy’s office in Belize City on Saturday. Representative of the Organization of American States (OAS) in Belize, Starret Dickson Greene, was on hand to witness the donation. The ROCT, made the donation in response to a joint request made by Wilfred Elrington, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Belize, and Carlos Raul Morales, Minister of Foreign Affairs in Guatemala in March.

Belize observes St. George’s Caye Day
As a part of the September Celebrations line up, Belizeans observed the 218 Anniversary of the Battle of St. George’s Caye on Saturday. Keeping with the tradition, Governor General of Belize, Sir Colville Young, Prime Minister of Belize, Dean Barrow, and a host of other dignitaries, gathered at the Fort George Memorial Park for the official ceremony commemorating the event, which is regarded as catalyst for the establishment of a modern independent nation. Speakers at the event included Belize City Mayor Darrell Bradley, who encouraged Belizeans to follow the example of their ancestors on how to live in unity; and Minister of State with responsibility for Culture, Elodio Aragon Jr. At the ceremony, Cristalyn Castillo was officially coronated as “Queen of the Bay.” Falon Cain, Queen of the Bay 2015, officially handed over the crown and scepter, while Former Mayor of Belize City and member of the Queen of the Bay steering committee Zenaida Moya read the formal proclamation. Castillo then made her first solemn pronouncement as Queen, promising to wear her new crown, robe and scepter with honor and pride.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

40,000 Mexicans protest against gay marriage
Approximately 40,000 Mexicans protested on Saturday, September 10, 2016 against gay marriage in Queretaro, Mexico. Civil protection officers said that it was one of the largest protests in the country. The protest was due to President Enrique Pena Nieto’s proposal to recognize same sex marriage in the conservative country. The marches went throughout the day from Mexico’s far north to the Yucatan peninsula. It was organized by the National Front For the Family, a coalition of civil society organizations and different religious groups. Same sex marriage is allowed in Mexico City, Coahuila, Quintana Roo, Jalisco, Nayarit, Chihuahua and Sonora. President Pena Nieto has proposed to change the constitution to allow it nationally.

Teen murdered in Belize City; police are investigating
A 17-year-old was shot and killed in Belize City Today. The 17-year-old has been identified as Deandre Nemhard of Nutmeg Street, Belize City. Nemhard died due to complications of multiple gunshot wounds. BBN will be posting more details on this story as it becomes available. Police are investigating.

Hip Hip Hooray! Miss San Pedro is Officially Crowned and Kids Parade to Celebrate the Battle of St. George’s Caye
September 10th is the first officially holiday of September – to celebrate the Battle of St. George’s Caye in 1798. The Spanish, invading from Mexico, tried AGAIN to expel the British Baymen and their slaves from Belize. The small Baymen crew was victorious. And along with Independence Day on September 21st (some 183 years later) it makes September a full month of red white and blue celebration. Yesterday, San Pedro started the day with the coronation of our new Miss San Pedro 2016-2017 and a uniform parade with school children and various organizations. Little girls on St George's Caye celebrations in San Pedro, Belize It was a beautiful SCORCHER (just like today) and by 9am (the official meet-up time) it had to feel like 95+ in the sun. (Accuweather has today’s temperature predicted as a high of 88 – “real feel 109). Let’s get to the ceremonies. The stage was set for the national anthem, a prayer, opening statements by the Mayor and our Area Representative, a performance by ERNESTINE CARBALLO (LOVE HER!)…

Garifuna Settlement Day
Nearly 400 years ago, the British began importing slaves from Africa to plantations on Caribbean islands like St. Vincent. Over time, these African peoples began to intermarry with local Arawak and Carib peoples, mixing traditions, languages, and music to form the Garifuna culture. After rising up against the British, the Garifuna were pursued through the Caribbean, ultimately making their ways to the shores of Belize on November 19, 1802, a day now celebrated as a national holiday known as Garifuna Settlement Day. Any visitor who has had the good fortune of traveling to villages like Hopkins or Seine Beight or the town of Dangriga knows that the Garifuna people are a unique and special contribution to Belizean society. With a strong focus on storytelling, drumming, dancing, and preserving traditional livelihoods like farming and fishing, the Garifuna have added their own special contribution to Belizean food, music, and culture. On November 19, the entire country turns out to celebrate the arrival of the Garifuna to the shores of Belize nearly 200 years ago. With exhibitions of both traditional music and styles like punta that were created by the Garifuna, the holiday is a great time to see street dances, enjoy Garifuna foods like cassava bread and hudut (fish cooked in coconut), and hear the oral history of the Garifuna people being told by village elders. Garifuna Settlement Day is a national holiday in Belize and celebrated throughout the country with a strong focus on towns and villages with a large population of Garifuna such as Dangriga, Punta Gorda, Hopkins, and Seine Beight. Garifuna Settlement Day is celebrated every year on November 19.

A Placencia vacation through the eyes of other guests this week....since we don't don't have any right now!!
We are missing our guests here!! If you are looking forward to your trip here, I always suggest to search Instagram and Facebook for #placencia image tags, because you can see what people are doing each day around the peninsula. I do this all the time to see what others are seeing....and thought I might put together a little photo shoot of what guests are seeing and doing around here! (these are some latest Instagram photos!) The flight into the village from Caitlin Furio.... Some great beach shots from Lucy Brown... And another from Lucy Brown, of a typical scene in the village of the supermarkets here..... A typical Belize lunch of stewed pork from Sunny Mui...

International Sourcesizz

Imbert cites identical FATCA legislation: Nothing new about proposed tax laws
Proposed legislation which will allow law enforcement agencies, both here and abroad, to identify people whose income does not match their salaries is no secret to the Opposition, says Finance Minister Colm Imbert. Imbert’s statement yesterday sought to correct statement attributed to Opposition Leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar. It comes ahead of today’s meeting between Government and Opposition representatives to iron out an agreement for the legislation to be approved before the deadline of September 30. Failure to pass the legislation by then will result in T&T being unable to trade internationally and will also result in the implementation of a 30 per cent withholding tax on US dollar transactions in the banking system.

Thousands march to protest same-sex marriage in Mexico
Tens of thousands of people marched in Mexico in protest of same-sex marriage Saturday, a controversial topic in the country exacerbated by a proposal from embattled President Enrique Peña Nieto [official website, Spanish] to recognize same-sex marriage. The marches [Reuters report] were organized by the National Front for the Family, an alliance of religious organizations and civil society groups, and spanned from Mexico's far north to the Yucatan peninsula. By the early afternoon, an estimated 40,000 people had come to protest in Queretaro, and 12,000 came to protest in Puebla, 7,000 more than city police had anticipated. Earlier this year the Mexico Supreme Court held [JURIST report] that a state law defining marriage as being between a man and a woman was unconstitutional, and several states in Mexico already permit same-sex marriage, including Mexico City.

• Queen Of The Jewel - Miss Belize 2016, 4hr.

• Pan Yaad 2016, 2.5 hr.

• 'Gringo: The Dangerous Life of John McAfee': Trailer, 2.5min. Looks like Belize/Ambergris Caye will be in the spotlight again when this airs on Showtime Networks on Sat. Sept 24th. Lots of familiar faces/places just in this trailer!

• St. George's Caye Day, Belize City, 3min. The rain did not dampen the spirit of the southsiders as d parade grew in numbers as d marchers cross d bel-china bridge to d southside.. ..currently it's a gorgeous 90 degrees, feels like 105 according to weather channel, d sun is bright and skies with a few scattered clouds...let's circle and check out d yarbra field vibez...

• Inspecting the Guard of Honor, Orange Walk, 2min. Inspecting the Guard of Honor at the official 10th Ceremony in Orange Walk Town. Sovereign and Strong. Together as One.

• Behind The Scenes: Turneffe Island Resort, 4min. A quick look at our week in Belize shooting for Turneffe Island Resort

• Turneffe Island Resort, 3.5min. Promotional video for Turneffe Island Resort in Belize

• Mergulho em Belize, 3min.

• The Elbow, Turnoff Atoll, Belize, 2min. First permit I ever felt on a fly rod. I was not ready for the power of these fish!

• Deep Water Permit, 1/2min. Permit cruising the deep water of "The Elbow" of Turneffe Atoll, Belize

• Belize Aggressor III 9/3 - 9/10 2016, 19min.

• Belize Dealing with Difficult Dogs Dog Training, 1min. Video of workship in Belize: Dealing with Difficult Dogs Dog Taining.

• San Diego State University Visits Belize With C.E.L.A., 4min. In 2016 a group of student teachers from San Diego State University came to visit Belize and they set up a special camp for the children of Succotz. This is the story of what happened

• Caye Caulker airport Belize, 1/2min.

• Lion fish in Belize, 1/2min. August 2016, while in Belize, Ted M. catches Chelsie S. feeding a helpless little Lion fish to a curouis shark. Even the shark knows these are bad for your health..

• The streets of Belize City, Belize (Part 3), 1.5min. At the very edge, by the ocean of Belize City, Belize.

• The streets of Belize City, Belize (Part 2), 6min. West and Central parts of Belize City, Belize.

• The streets of Belize City, Belize (Part 1), 5min. The streets of the North side of Belize City, Belize

• Belize Snorkel with sharks, 8min.

• Belize Scuba with Sharks, 5min.

• Belize Trip Picture slides, 15min.

• Nurse Sharks - Belize Scuba Diving, 9min.

• PUP Demonstration Belize City 7th September 2016, 17min. Corozal North PUP, People's United Party, John Briceño, Stand UP Belize....

•, 4min. I spent the last 5 days in Belize learning about the culture, eating great food, and experiencing world class fishing. This should be a bucket list item for everyone.