Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#517553 09/15/16 09:18 AM
OP Offline
Does anyone know what time the SHO special about McAfee is on tonight?

Hi Sally -
I thought it was tonight and I am looking all over for the time, but can only find a listing for Sept 24, 9 PM EDT.
Not sure where I saw the posting that it was tonight, but am still hunting for it.

Still looks like Saturday night ..... nothing tonight. sorry for any confusion.

S
S
ON SHOWTIME
Saturday, Sep 24 at 9 PM ET/PT

What number channel is Show Time here on the island?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Channel 22 on Coral Cable

Review: Gringo: The Dangerous Life of John McAfee Review

Remember when just about every computer would come pre-installed with McAfee antivirus software? Perhaps you’ve�already heard�the crazy story of its outlandish�inventor, but after watching Gringo: The Dangerous Life of John McAfee, I don't know how I hadn’t. John McAfee made his fortune from creating the first commercial antivirus software in the late 80s, and though he sold his stake in that company to Intel in 1994, the software still bore his name until 2014 when�the events examined�in�this documentary caused them�to rebrand.

Director�Nanette Burstein (The Kid Stays in the Picture) at first paints a picture of what seems like your garden variety eccentric rich genius. After retiring from the computer security business, McAfee became a Yoga guru, writing several�books on the subject�and hosting free Yoga retreats. It was after he lost most of his fortune in the 2008 crash and moved to Belize that the real story began. Here McAfee lived like a Central�American crime boss. He bought a huge compound, hired ex-cons as armed guards, buttered up local police, and kept multiple teenaged girlfriends. Fuelled by narcissism, hubris, and paranoia, McAfee used his money to wield power and intimidation over this small impoverished town before becoming a ‘person of interest’ in a murder case, forcing him to seek refuge in Guatemala.

A theme that Gringo shares with several other recent “true crime” docs like The Jynx and O.J. Simpson: Made in America is that people with enough money can get away with just about anything.�Burstein mounts her own little investigation into the murder and creates�a plausible case�for how it likely went down. The strongest part of her film is the candid interviews she was able to get with McAfee’s former Belizean employees and girlfriends… suspiciously candid even. McAfee himself refused to appear on camera for the film but was apparently very receptive to emailing, often goading Burstein on, sometimes�appearing angry at her questioning, and other times providing pretty straightforward answers, but always giving her lots to work with. He clearly�loves the attention and implies that�every story about him is one that he’s meticulously orchestrated. I don’t know�how�Burstein�motivated the interview subjects to be so candid on camera, perhaps it was because they know McAfee can’t return to Belize, or maybe they’re still on his payroll and saying exactly what he wants them to, even if it's not entirely flattering.�This documentary paints a portrait of a monster, but he might love it.

As almost a postscript, McAfee has since regained legitimacy by returning to the tech game and even having a go at politics -�he was almost�the Libertarian party’s 2016 presidential candidate�(next to McAfee,�Trump actually seems like a reasonable person). He walks among us once again and this documentary won’t change that,�it will only fuel the myths,�which is probably okay by him.

Gringo is an enthralling story that hits every note, from humour to horror. Burstein teases out several moments of disbelief with this larger than life character. If the picture painted of John McAfee is accurate, he’s probably reading every review of this movie… in which case,�Hi John! You really creeped me out in this, but I guess there’s no such thing as bad�publicity, right?

DorkShelf.com

Four Mcafee related Belizeans don't want their interviews aired in Showtime documentary "Gringo."

Their attorney has sent information to the producer of the documentary claiming they were either paid or under the influence of alcohol at the time of their interviews. The documentary premiered at the Toronto Film Festival recently and John Mcafee has released a video featuring the same people claiming to have falsified statements made. The 4 individuals: Tyrone Moralez, Zaira Majil, Saka Canul and Cassia Chavarria ) will host a press conference during which they will speak new truths. Though it had been known from last year that the documentary would air by summer 2016, this objection comes days before the September 24th, airing on the cable network.

Some of the allegations made during the interviews include:

Allegedly paid a Belize hitman $5,000 to torture and kill Greg Faull, his American neighbor. Faull had several run-ins with McAfee over the eccentric McAfee allegedly letting his dogs roam the neighborhood and local beaches;

Allegedly hired thugs to abduct David Middleton, whom he suspected of robbing his home. They allegedly repeatedly tasered and stabbed Middleton, who slipped into a coma and died; and

Allegedly drugged and sexually assaulted biologist Allison Adonizio, while she was working for him on a pharmaceutical project; and

Allegedly bribed local police by showering them with expensive firearms and other equipment.

As I was interviewed myself along with several others who covered the Mcafee story in Belize, I was neither under the influence of any substance or offered payment.

https://www.facebook.com/belizeannews

[Linked Image]

Four Claim They Lied For Money On McAfee Documentary

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 334 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.